Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Trumps problem will be how to make money in the future.

Even if he avoids major legal issues , which is highly unlikely, his "brand" is in tatters.

The people that still support him are not the people that are going to fill his hotels and golf courses or rent space in his buildings.

In fact a large proportion of them probably wouldn't even be allowed in.

Brand "Trump" is utterly toxic right now so his ability to license the name etc. are limited to say the very very least.

Politically , my suspicion is that the GOP really want shot of him but don't want to be the ones to pull the trigger , so whilst they probably (almost certainly) won't vote to convict on Impeachment they will ensure that there will be a steady feed of incredibly damaging information anonymously released over the next 6-12 months to disconnect him from the base , allowing someone else to step in.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Trumps problem will be how to make money in the future.

Even if he avoids major legal issues , which is highly unlikely, his "brand" is in tatters.

The people that still support him are not the people that are going to fill his hotels and golf courses or rent space in his buildings.

In fact a large proportion of them probably wouldn't even be allowed in.

Brand "Trump" is utterly toxic right now so his ability to license the name etc. are limited to say the very very least.

Politically , my suspicion is that the GOP really want shot of him but don't want to be the ones to pull the trigger , so whilst they probably (almost certainly) won't vote to convict on Impeachment they will ensure that there will be a steady feed of incredibly damaging information anonymously released over the next 6-12 months to disconnect him from the base , allowing someone else to step in.

It's toxic in the USA, and in most NATO countries. Expect him to push on with trademarks in China and hotels in Russia. You know, places where he won't be extradited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Trump will never run for office again - The terror of losing again will prevent that.

If allowed , he'll pretend that he's planning to so he can fund raise (con) money from his base , but he won't actually run.

His Presidency is consistent with pretty much everything he has done in his entire life - Blagged his way into something good and then steadily ran it into the ground.

The only exception was The Apprentice , where he pretended to be a successful business man on a TV show . What helped him here was the fact that there weren't any actual real business decisions to be made.

He should never be allowed after what he did, that was criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some sort of online / televised right wing populist news channel would probably make the most sense, TV seems to be the only thing he has a bit of ability for. But if he ends up mired in litigation then that probably happen and he'll fade away, making headlines every now again when he loses a court case or files for bankruptcy. I think the republican party will move earth and sea to stop him from running in 2024. All he can do for them is split their vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭yagan

Overheal wrote: »
    It's toxic in the USA, and in most NATO countries. Expect him to push on with trademarks in China and hotels in Russia. You know, places where he won't be extradited.
    I didn't realise it but the USA doesn't have an extradition treaty with its literal protectorate Saudi Arabia! Even the US Coastguard patrols Saudi waters for them but they remain untouchable.

Trump has a few hotels there, there's golf and it's warm. I reckon he'd happily see out his time there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭threeball

yagan wrote: »
    I didn't realise it but the USA doesn't have an extradition treaty with its literal protectorate Saudi Arabia! Even the US Coastguard patrols Saudi waters for them but they remain untouchable.

Trump has a few hotels there, there's golf and it's warm. I reckon he'd happily see out his time there.

Hes useless to them. He has no power or influence. They only want bad eggs that are useful knocking around. Maybe Isis could do everyone a favour and take him off their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

MadYaker wrote: »
    Some sort of online / televised right wing populist news channel would probably make the most sense, TV seems to be the only thing he has a bit of ability for. But if he ends up mired in litigation then that probably happen and he'll fade away, making headlines every now again when he loses a court case or files for bankruptcy. I think the republican party will move earth and sea to stop him from running in 2024. All he can do for them is split their vote.

But TV won't suit him at all. Speaking in to a camera, with little or no audience? He has shown no ability to do it and in the case where he has done it he quickly falls apart.

He is best when in front of a crowd. I expect some people to continue to attend rallies, if he was to hold them, but not for long.

He will have lost the lustre of office. There will no AF1 in the background. He won't have the POTUS seal. And crucially, although he rarely actually lived up to his premises, now the crowd know he has not even the slightest chance.

It is one thing for a con man to sell a promise, now he would be selling a promise 4 years away!

I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yagan wrote: »

Would he get Kashoggi'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭threeball

Would he get Kashoggi'd?

Considering how dismissive he was of that whole episode it would be the ultimate irony.

threeball wrote: »
    Hes useless to them. He has no power or influence. They only want bad eggs that are useful knocking around. Maybe Isis could do everyone a favour and take him off their hands.
    Yeah. Overall Russia would probably be his most likely bolthole, which would make it a hell of a lot easier for the Republicans to burn off his radicals if they can be cast as unpatriotic.

• Advertisement

Would he get Kashoggi'd?
    He was quiet about that, although he was probably just protecting his hotels in Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Trump will setup his own news channel/rant site.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's spin though.

History shows he's actually the most popular President ever, no other President got 75m plus votes.

Fact v Spin

How the **** is that possible when he lost the popular vote twice in a row?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see Biden has Hollywood out for his inaugural.

It's important to remember why someone like Trump was elected in the first place and why 75 million voted for him again. These are people who are entirely disaffected and fed up with what went before - a coastal elite with zero consideration for them over decades or the issues in middle America.

It was a warning from those voters to start doing something for them.

If the democrats are serious about a new approach maybe they need to do some soul searching themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's important to remember why someone like Trump was elected in the first place and why 75 million voted for him again. These are people who are entirely disaffected and fed up with what went before - a coastal elite with zero consideration for them over decades or the issues in middle America.

If the democrats are serious about a new approach maybe they need to do some soul searching themselves.

He won't have anyone out for his inauguration because there's no crowds allowed.

And would you say Trump has left those people better or worse off? The people who voted for him a second time have a lot more soul searching to do than anyone else. If people actively vote against their best interests you can't blame it on the politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MadYaker wrote: »
    And would you say Trump has left them better or worse off?

That's not the point. The point is they dont care anymore. As far as they are concerned they gave a big poke in the eye to that political structure that has failed them.

Either the Democrats adapt or prepare for President Pompeo or Trump in 2024.

The former I believe would be even worse. At least Trump was an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is this the same 'hollywood elite' who's movies they watch and music they consume en masse.

I'm sorry I don't buy that nonsense at all. Your elite when it suits your not elite when it doesn't..it's merely a tool for plonkers to beat you with. The same people that spout this crap one day would be hugging and looking for an autograph the next.

You can't soul search that

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

listermint wrote: »
    Is this the same 'hollywood elite' who's movies they watch and music they consume en masse.

I'm sorry I don't buy that nonsense at all. Your elite when it suits your not elite when it doesn't..it's merely a tool for plonkers to beat you with. The same people that spout this crap one day would be hugging and looking for an autograph the next.

You can't soul search that

It's the same logical fallacy about how people are "fed up with the mainstream media".

Somehow overlooking the fact that they are "mainstream" because huge numbers of people consume their output.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭Christy42

That's not the point. The point is they dont care anymore. As far as they are concerned they gave a big poke in the eye to that political structure that has failed them.

Either the Democrats adapt or prepare for President Pompeo or Trump in 2024.

The former I believe would be even worse. At least Trump was an idiot.

Err. Trump lost the popular vote twice. Shouldn't Republicans be trying to get Democrat voters or do the Democrats have to pander to the crazy wing of the Republicans permanently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭basillarkin

The man was 4 years in office and still hadn't released a health care plan, when asked about it at the debates in 2020, his answer, oh its nearly done it will be finalised shortly. This after a full term in office. The man is a spoofer and a fraud who promoted the birther movement, and has lied and bullied people for the last 4 yrs. When asked a difficult question, his tactic was to bad mouth the journalist and declare fake news.

Played so much golf at his own resort at a considerable cost to the taxpayer, so many resignations and firings among the best staff and the best people. The deficit has skyrocketted. Divisions between the American people are at an all time low. Doesn't have the decency to accept defeat and welcome the bidens into the white House. Good riddance.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote: »
    Err. Trump lost the popular vote twice. Shouldn't Republicans be trying to get Democrat voters or do the Democrats have to pander to the crazy wing of the Republicans permanently?

Republicans have won the popular vote ONCE since 1984.

And GWB really only won it in '04 because of strong elements of a "rally round the flag" effect with the "war on terror" so it was a blip.

It's the GOP that need to find a way to reach out to more voters no the Democrats.

They won't though , they'll just gerrymander and vote suppress their way back to Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Ronald Reagan Actor and GOP President.
    • Donald Trump Reality Show Character and GOP President.
    • Arnold Schwarzenegger Actor and GOP Governor.

But somehow we hear more about the Liberal side of Hollywood impacting negatively on politics and that the Democrats should turn away from listening to them.

The majority of US people live in the costal regions. Tell us why they're votes should count less than those in the mid west or the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,140 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Doesn't have the decency to accept defeat and welcome the bidens into the white House. Good riddance.

The last time an outgoing president hasn't attended an inauguration was over 150 years ago. What a malignant sulky oul cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Id say his final moments will involve one of his red ties, some hand cream and trousers around his ankles while he reminisces about while he had power before it goes wrong and he slips or something. Expect the pictures to leak too. Media whore to the end.

As for the irish people in this thread going on about stolen elections, get a grip we are not as stupid as the Americans so drop it. You lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Id say his final moments will involve one of his red ties, some hand cream and trousers around his ankles while he reminisces about while he had power before it goes wrong and he slips or something. Expect the pictures to leak too. Media whore to the end.

As for the irish people in this thread going on about stolen elections, get a grip we are not as stupid as the Americans so drop it. You lost.

Stupid Irish people are the same as stupid American people.

Stupidity doesn't recognise country boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He's such an enormous media draw that i foresee some type of media deal in his future

• Registered Users Posts: 19,375 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1351580720884551680?s=19

In as much as a senate conviction affects what trump can do after the 20th, this seems kind of significant

He's such an enormous media draw that i foresee some type of media deal in his future

I really don't think so..

People will be interested in hearing *about* him in future , but far far less will be interested in hearing *from* him outside of the Newsmax and OANN zone.

And for Trump , they simply wouldn't be able to give him the kind of money he would think he's worth and the amount he'll need to cover his costs/losses in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1351580720884551680?s=19

In as much as a senate conviction affects what trump can do after the 20th, this seems kind of significant

He's playing an interesting game. Can't help but think the addition of the words 'and other powerful people' is significant.

He could be trying to weaken Cruz and Halwey right out the gate. Who else could he be talking about? There's definitely some thought gone in to his words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

AKA doing a Hutchence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement