Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Who cares if it was watched all over the country, he was cheered by people in Florida, and what exactly makes it good PR? Drunk people cheering in the state he lives in?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

We all know Trump has a large personal fan base, no doubt more than other politician. All that is good for is splitting the GOP vote. The worry around that may force the GOP's hand and thus they all row in behind him. OK. He gets the nomination but does anyone think he can get back the presidency?

My money is on him getting the nomination but failing in a bid for the White House.

A fair assumption, or way off?

Fair assumption absolutely. I think the only variable with this is the amount of cases and court appearances over the next while might skew that a bit, and it might push some of his support towards DeSantis overtime.

So much can happen still.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Would De Santis be that much of an improvement? Trump is an out and out eejit, and a dangerous one, but De Santis appears to have - if not intelligence - cunning, deviousness and enough cop on to actually do deliberate damage as against muddling through leaving a trail of destruction in his wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I've said this for some time.

Trump is Biden's best chance at re-election.

Biden is vanilla, and he's old too.

It's not good that the Dems don't have someone more established to take over imho, but trump needs beating a second time and he's the man to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

All I noticed about Trump was at the end of the Burns fight, when masvidal called him out, and no cutaway to Trump for broadcast. But then again a loser who just retired recognising a loser you really should

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I don't think anyone ever said trump doesn't have support. Of course he does. You think it was Biden supporters who attempted insurrection? Who threatened vote counters, who threatened votersYou think it was Obama supporters who threatened Pelosi and her family, who brought a hangman's noose and called out for the VP to be hanged as a traitor, who threaten the family of judges presiding over a case against trump? All classy trump cult members.

trump has support in florida? of course he does. And in Tenessee and oklahoma and other enlightened and and progressive and tolerant states. They are VERY fond of cults and other groups in those places.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ah, Jen Psaki continuing to pinpoint all of the hypocrisy of the Trump-led GOP.

And before anyone starts, yes I know who she is, and you should be more concerned about what she is saying considering all of it is coming from the mouths of the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"#1 on trending" what does that even mean?

Anyway didn't see any of these UFC fans in New York last Tuesday. A crowd will clap at most things if you do the work for them.

Also worth pointing out the UFC events generally trend on Twitter anyway. This even didn’t trend because Trump was there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Trump continues to play the 2016 anti-establishment role in anticipation of 2024. While at the same time the victim of persecution.

Both are contradictions. His wealthy upbringing from birth to today’s Mar A Lago mansion/club residence, with a host of servants wiping his infant butt to his mouth (or whatever) for 76 years, has been the epitome of the ultra rich establishment in America.

Trump’s victimization play has been a 1984 alternative world erroneous political spin on self-fulfilling past and present (alleged) criminological behavior. Whereas, the real world common citizen would be tried as expected for such behavior in the state and federal judicial systems without the fantastical Trump victimization political spin.

Simply substitute Trump’s name with Al Capone, and the mist of Trump’s so called victimization blows away in the NY cases of (alleged) business records falsification, income taxes evasion, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I would have thought that the crowd at a UFC event would be not unlike that at the Straight Dave event in Bruno.

Or to give another example, I imagine if Trump was presented at a match of the US women's football team, he'd be roundly booed and I don't think it could be held up in good faith as an example of how unpopular Trump is.

Either way, neither crowd is going to be a truly balanced reflection of the American voting population.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,526 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Margy Taylor Greene and George Santos get cheered at events they attend.

Even the dumbest politicians generally know where to find their target audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The Santos heckling at the Trump arraignment was the highlight for me. "Tell us about your Nobel prize George!" Lots ofpeople just pointing and laughing at him.

Daily Show lad Klepper got the mic briefly in front of Santos, you can find it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

De Santis is resembling a fascist.

No way will independents vote for him.

Generation Z will be a threat to any republican running. They seem invigorated.

And millennials aren’t flipping red either.

Saying that, Biden is too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Indeed. I feel thar damn near any Dem candidate could have beaten Trump last time. 2020 was very much a referendum against Trump rather than in favour of Biden. Biden wasn’t Trump, and I feel that was the main thing.

They could however really do with a new energetic candidate. I doubt anyone would blame Biden retiring at this stage in favour of another candidate. I was hopeful that Harris might have been that, but I at the moment I can’t see that working. Biden could still beat Trump in a rematch I feel, but a more “exciting” candidate would make it a sure thing.

The while GenZ and Millennial angle is key too. I feel that overturning Roe v Wade damaged the GOP’s chances in the midterms and their attempts to make abortion drugs illegal / inaccessible is going to do the same damage in the eyes of a whole generation of people who suddenly see their reproductive rights stifled by the red candidates. This will hurt Trump’s chances in 2024 especially if they keep this up. If they had any intelligence the GOP should have just threatened to do these things indefinitely without actually doing it, but now they’ve handed the Dems a mandate to reverse what they’ve been up to.

What is more baffling is that it’s clear that many GOP people don’t really feel all that opposed to abortion options, since a good few have been reported either paying for them, or in some cases getting them themselves. I know it’s an play designed to get hard-core Evangelical voters on-side, and then again within those communities you’ll get plenty of messing about under the veneer of their beliefs. Thus, the GOP continues to damage their chances with several generations of voters, all for banning a reproductive right that they or much of their target audience don’t really mind people having. It’s about as mindless as them still allowing Trump to railroad their party.

"I know it’s an play designed to get hard-core Evangelical voters on-side, and then again within those communities you’ll get plenty of messing about under the veneer of their beliefs"

Don't underestimate the RCC foot soldiers in this, anti-women policies work really well with them. Same policies are playing really well in a growing demographic for the GQP, Hispanic voters who allow themselves to be dictated to by the RCC. I think it's RCC that actually makes a difference for GQP politicians at the polls.

I disagree and think that Biden was perfect for 2020.

Trump still polled well but Biden was the antithesis of trumpism. He represented stability, scandal free, political norms and competency. He was well known and had 8 successful years as VP.

Running an unknown dem against trump would have been a disaster.

Some Machiavellian level sh1t, if true!

Who cares what Bill Barr says anymore? He did his duty by his Federalist Society masters, no doubt has some good gigs not doing a lot of anything for the future.

TFG had several AG's, this is the only one we hear from. Go away Barr you John Goodman look-alike. Goodman would've done a better job, too.

• Advertisement

Trump's transformation into grandpa Simpson is complete....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Happy Easter to all!

(Except the people I don't like- so presidential 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Is he just going to go ALL CAPS for every “truth” he posts from now on? Will make it hard to know when he’s intending to internet shout when he’s doing it for EVERY word.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Plenty of evangelical and others fit that bill regarding women, given only 20% of the population who identify Christian are Catholic.

The evangelicals and their type of followers as they see Catholicism as a tool of Satan. They don't have any love for those the Jewish faith either but support Israel as they see it as a way to bring about the end of days.

Like everyone supporting trump its a mishmash of c*ntism, stupidity and mental health issues. Hence why a few of them in countries out side of the U.S. are on the watch lists of local police forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To be fair, most of the trumpers on here argument is that the democracts are absolute geniuses and way smarter than the GOP.

And a good glimpse for the GOP over why they lost the last 3 election cycles, as Republicans cross the aisle to agree with AOC on a Republican judge’s new injunction against mifepristone just… 2 short decades after it received full FDA approval:

”This is an issue that Republicans have largely been on the wrong side of. We have, over the last nine months, not shown compassion towards women and this is one of those issues that I’ve tried to lead on as someone who’s pro-life and just have some common sense.

“In the state of South Carolina just a few weeks ago, we had some folks in the state legislature that essentially wanted to execute women who had abortions. So we’ve got some extreme views on this issue, but 90% is somewhere in the middle and I think that that 90% would be OK with listening to the FDA rather than a judge who used an old law that was determined unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. I think the vast, vast majority of Americans would support that decision.”

You can see why if a Republican can cross the aisle and go on CNN to agree with AOC, that a slew of Republican voting women similarly have made a series of different choices at the private ballot boxes.

In the 2nd paragraph she refers to a bill lawmakers introduced in SC to impose the death penalty on women getting abortions. Very pro life stuff, much principle, definitely not confusing voters about their core values.

Facing fierce backlash the statehouse swears it will never become law but that didn’t stop them from terrorizing the public with their bullshit.

Wait

Wait

Let's get back to the UFC thing for a second

None of you told me this guy LOST the fight?

Trump just got endorsed by a loser. It's perfectly poetic. 🤣

'The greatest UFC fighter in the history of the world' having just lost to y'know, just some nobody who won a rigged fight, then went to usher the crowd into a Let's Go Brandon chant. It was unclear if, like Biden, they were cheering on the election victory of Brandon Johnson this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,593 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No this is what Democrats are doing as they know Biden won't beat Ron DeSantis if he is the wins the nomination. They really want Trump to run and these doomed cases in New York will help him win the nomination.

It's a shame really as DeSantis would be a great Nominee and President.

Also If Trump hadn't gone down the childish route of slagging him off it could have been Trump/DeSantis ticket.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement