Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

No wonder this app is being banned by various political parties and organisations around the world.

Today the 1st amendment is great, tomorrow it is something to complain about.

Modern argument switch back and forth and have no credibility whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Don't expect a coherent answer. Trumpites are strictly interested in burning sh*t down. When asked to articulate what will replace what they have burned down, they produce a crude crayon drawing of a giraffe or hippopotamus and will try to convince you they have answered the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I use TikTok, I think it’s wonderful.

It’s fun and creative.

Do you approve of censoring free speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I never said that.

The accusation was that I was a Trump supporter.

I guess it depends where one lies on the spectrum.

On one side you have the people who fervently hate the man with all their might, he lives in their heads rent free.

For them Trump can no good, all his policies are terrible, he is the devil.

On the other side of the spectrum you have the Qanon Maga hardcore Trump supporters.

I'm probably somewhere in the middle, I can acknowledge the mans many faults but also see why he was elected and believe he wasnt the terrible President portrayed by so many.

"On Tuesday the White House gave its backing to a Senate bill that would give the administration the power to ban TikTok and on Wednesday the FBI director Christopher Wray told a Senate hearing that the app “screams” of national security concerns"

Joe Biden and the FBI will ban you ticktock. A Chinese data gathering app for children that many adults also use. Most for innocent reasons no doubt..

Europe has banned the app for MEPs and in politician owned phones.

Eventually the app will be banned outright and sooner the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You're not convincing anyone with this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

So you ARE pro-limiting personal freedom and government interfering in our lives. Grand, now you need to stop pretending you care about freedom, and admit that all you care about is winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So you are pro freedom when it suits your narrative. Grand now you need to stop complaining about gun ownership, Elon Musks twitter, people's right to criticize China etc.

Just admit it's all you care about is "winning" some culture war.

It's the exact same thing

• Advertisement

The app screams of National Security concerns lol.

Tiktok is gathering data on its users, oh the horror.

What about Google, Microsoft, Apple, Facebook and all the other apps storing users data and spying on them, thats ok it seems.

The only reason Tiktok is a "concern" is because the US can't access the data for itself.

Of course. I thought that would be obvious.

Don't forget to talk about how European governments and the EU parliament are also taking measures.

It's important

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Gun ownership has nothing to do with freedom unless you are arguing that Yemen is the freest country on Earth..

The issue here is the bulls*it the Republicans continually sprout. They for decades have claimed to be the party of 'small government' yet interfere in the lives of ordinary people over and over.

They claim to be the party of democracy and law and order yet when Trump is convicted of crimes they turn blind eye and come out with sh*t like 'well America is not a democracy, its a Republic'

Trump got a record-breaking 74 million votes, all these votes can’t be explained away by ignorance and racism.

There was also a rational Trump voter, people need to understand that.

Not at all. National security is vital.

Why are European countries banning politicians from using it? Why tip toe around and pretend it's just the US.

Why are you ignoring:

"On Tuesday the White House gave its backing to a Senate bill that would give the administration the power to ban TikTok and on Wednesday the FBI director Christopher Wray told a Senate hearing that the app “screams” of national security concerns"

Very disingenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

I don't think it's that simple, though. Bandy X. Lee has had 'issues' with TiFG since he was elected and kind of hasn't let up about them, and that article was written right after the insurrection. The second article, I'd expect TiFG voters 2 years after the 2020 election to be unhappier than Biden voters. If you assume the profile of the TiFG voter is older caucasian, they're two years older now. And, it's been 2 years of hype of how bad things are from their eco-system feeds. Plus Covid and inflation, people are feeling pretty rotten in the US.

@MisterAnarchy is not wrong. TiFG got a lot of votes in the last election and not everyone voting for him is a mouthbreathing cousin-forking MAGAt. Many vote the R party line because that's what they've done. Where TiFG's party is shooting itself in the foot is their right-wingitty virtue signaling positions on abortion, schools, guns. Even Biden should win in a walkover if TiFG's the nominee if the GQP doesn't reform its message. If a different GQP type gets the nod, that's a different story - and I still can see that, with TiFG promising support if the elected GQP candidate hands him out a few pardons.

Elsewhere, apparently Mike Pompeo's not running: https://www.foxnews.com/media/mike-pompeo-announces-decision-2024-presidential-election

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There were definitely a lot of voters in 2020 who voted for Trump, not because of support of Trump, but because they're GOP voters and they felt the disadvantages of Trump were outweighed by the advantages of having a Republican President (and hopefully the Senate & House). Those are moderate, rational GOP voters, and are neither stupid nor ignorant.

Then again, they probably don't cream themselves when Trump gets cheered at a sports event and refer to him as "The Donald".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

And still lost the popular vote... AGAIN...And Biden got a record-breaking 81 million votes.

I believe there are rational GOP voters out there. Of course there are. However I don't believe there are any rational GQP/trump voters out there. And as trump and his cult lean harder and harder into the GQP angle (Election fraud claims, ACTUAL recorded attempts at election fraud, Jewish space lasers, gay frogs, women-hating policies, LGBTQ-hating policies, hate-group/white-supremacist embracing policies, JFK Jnr, Pizzagate, insurrection celebrating, Book burning in 2023!!!), as they embrace the insane, the bigots, the intentionally ill-informed, anybody who refuses to confront these people within their own party is condoning their action. If they are willing to embrace this lunatic "fringe" and abandon their own core values, just to win, then they deserve to be associated with them for good and bad.

I do not believe anyone who claims that Jan 6 was "tourists getting guided tours" or who claims that 2020 election was stolen despite all the evidence against it, or anyone who claims that trump's phone call to Georgia was a reasonable call is a rational voter. I don't believe that anyone wo accepts the fact that prosecutors in cases against trump have to be placed under protection because of his violent cult members or think it's acceptable for trump junior to post pics of judges family on Social Media is a rational voter. these are policies employed by violent gangsters.

My very first post on this thread (almost exactly a year before failed Jan 6 insurrection attempt by trump domestic terrorists) was that the GOP would throw tump under the bus and distance themselves from him as he became more and more deranged. Instead they embraced him and his cult tighter and tighter to the point that this is all anyone talks about when they talk about the GOP/GQP.

It has been said (with some accuracy) that trump and his cult are stealing oxygen from Biden. But it also true that trump and his cult have taken oxygen from the GOP too. You have DeSantis and others all trying to out trump trump. With anti-abortion policies that even the GOP think is going to cost them votes (Notice, they never say it was a mistake, just that it will cost them). You have DeSantis spending inordinate amount of time fighting Disneyland (What a sentence to type!). You have MTG and Broebert or whatever her name is, ranting and raving like unhinged lunatics, complaining about being assaulted by chants and comparing trump to Jesus and Mandela.

So no, I don't think you have rational trump voters. I think you have rational GOP voters but, as trump and MTG have said, the GOP is gone... Here comes the GQP. And EVERYTHING that comes with it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There are no rational "Trump" voters.

The majority are those that voted for him because he was the GOP candidate and they would have done so regardless of who the candidate was.

Anyone that voted for Trump "for Trump" as it were, is not remotely rational and should be considered as such.

• Advertisement

At this point the "rational" supporters of Trump are few and far between. The MAGA cult is made mostly made up of idiots. Idiots which their golden idol will happily fleece. It doesn't matter to them that voted for a lying con man that's done fuck all for them because they're not intelligent enough to cop on to the fact that they're being played. So long as Trump tells them what they want to hear, that's enough for them. That's about the extent of their political nous.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Broke what record? It's a meaningless boast, it s the % of the vote thats more important. His vote increased by about 1/6th, the voting electorate had increased by oh about 1/6th

Incorrect.

I will give you a few examples

High earners - The top 20% of the income bracket benefitted from a 3% gain in income under the Trump administration. Trump received 2% more votes than Clinton among higher earners.

Are these high earners not well educated ? Are they not intelligent ?

Corporate Shareholders - Corporations in the US are now taxed at 21%, down from 35%.

Entrepreneurs - Trump is pro-entrepreneurship and small business.

Poorly paid workers - Nominal wages in 2018 and 2019 rose at the fastest rate since before the recession. Americans at the lower end of the labour scale saw a 10% rise just before the pandemic hit.

So all these people had a rational reason for voting for Trump and it worked out well for them.

I do not think Trump is a topic that can be discussed rationally with alot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Are you talking to yourself, or did you forget to log in to another account?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Most of those people you’re talking about already deleted their accounts. First a huge wave when he lost then another wave of closed accounts for the insurrection.

Actual “in the middle” voters who voted Trump in 2016 and even in 2020, they’re not the ones continually going online defending Trump while downplaying that support. They’re just done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah I think at this point de Santis is likely to sit out the 2024 campaign and go for 2028 when there is a fresh slate and Trump is consigned to history or prison. There isnt even an advantage in running now to get his name known better on the national stage to set himself up for 2028 because he runs the danger of being steamrolled by Trump in the primaries and that having lasting damage to his future political ambitions.

I dont think we are going to see a repeat of the 2016 primary season at all where it was Trump vs a whole stage full of GOP contenders and him steamrolling them (poor Jeb Bush, he thought it was his). Because Trump is steamrolling them all right now into not even running. Mike Pence on his 7% got booed on stage at an NRA conference last night, he hasnt a hope and nor does Nikki Haley. If none of them come anywhere near Trumps polling numbers then they arent going to be able to raise the millions required to run, GOP donors dont like backing losing horses. So this has now become 100% the Trump Show and anyone who gets in his way risks permanent political damage, its not worth the risk for them when they know they cant beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Trump voters who were rational and well adjusted men and women genuinely believed he was a better candidate than Hillary. Obama didn't serve two terms because Reps only vote for the Rep candidate. People should stop talking for millions of people they never met and know nothing about.

Reps are so stupid yet Florida is one of the best states in America and Democrats can't stand it which is why they are launching misinformation smear campaigns against the State. From Tech companies to NYC Cops moving to Florida , America is taking notice. Meanwhile Dem cities are going to hell in a handbasket.

Portland's Meltdown: A Progressive Experiment That 'Has Gone Colossally Bad'

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Obama did serve two terms though.

what misinformation are you talking about?

crooked cops being booted from NYPD oh no.

What are your statistics for 2020? In the voting blocs you mention, did TiFG's share increase or decrease? I think overall there was a bigger turnout than in 2016 due to 1) animosity to TiFG 2) Democrats getting the vote out. I'd postulate that in the groups you mention, TiFG's share dropped across the board.

As for TiFG being pro-anything, 4 years of him in power show him to be pro-only-one-thing: Trump.

Post edited by Igotadose on

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement