Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ah you forget a certain poster accusing me of being a rereg when my account's 17 years old

Post edited by duploelabs on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Why did you delete your "Eskimo Hunt" account?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We all know why, they thought doing so would make us forget the marcus rashford nonsense, its gonna take a while for that one to be forgotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The whole thing about it (because most people know he said disinfectant of which bleach is a type) was that it was unequivocal proof (as if more were needed) that trump is a very very stupid person who doesn't know much about anything. Plus it's funny watching his supporters tying themselves in knots trying to defend it because it is indefensible (even his own staff knew it), no matter what any other president or vice-president does that's stupid (spelling potatoe wrongly) that president told people to drink bleach and some of his supporters actually did that and died as a result.

"...that president told people to drink bleach".

Where did Trump recommend people to drink bleach?

To borrow a phrase, fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Right, let's try to deal with this drivel point by point.

1) He absolutely caused that insurrection with his lies and whipping up of his base voter. Most of that comes back to the "they'll only win if they cheat" lines that he was coming out with prior to the election. As you should surely be aware, words while in the office of POTUS matter. If you keep lying and lying and lying, as he's done since he launched his campaign in 2015, eventually enough people will start believing you for it to become a serious problem.

Since he lost the election, he's continued to lie and lie and lie about that, and now we're in a situation where a fair percentage of the US population believe strongly that he actually won the 2020 election and that democracy in the US isn't working. That's entirely on him and is incredibly damaging, and he hasn't provided even a shred of credible evidence to back up that claim. I'm sure that's probably the fault of the mainstream media and the Democrats in your own mind, but there we go.

2) Again, words while in that office matter. I'll let the photo of his chief medical officer do the talking on that one, but just have a think about what the reaction would've been on the right if Barack Obama had stood up in that news conference and said the exact words that Trump said. I doubt if we'd be having this discussion now if he had.

I'll assume you agree with me on the election coercion situation, so I won't bother addressing that one. But you people defending Trump as a misunderstood victim of a witch hunt need to really have a think about what would've happened if a Democrat had behaved the way he's behaved since 2015. The fact that you seem to think that the entire thing is a conspiracy against Donald Trump is really staggering to me. Maybe he's just not as great as you people seem to think he is. Something worth pondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

Trump spoke about the role he thought disinfectants could play in tackling an infection caused by the virus during a now infamous April 23 briefing. But he didn’t say people should drink bleach.

His comments came after William Bryan, the undersecretary for science and technology at the Department of Homeland Security, presented a study that found sun exposure and cleaning agents like bleach can kill the virus when it lingers on surfaces.

Clearly a good faith argument by Trump twisted and distorted by bad faith actors. Unless anybody can provide a "drink bleach" quote , this lie has been - debunked

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He used irresponsible and reckless phrasing with regard to disinfectant and injecting it for covid treatment.

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me."

Those are the kind of conversations you have behind closed doors not in a press conference.

It is possible this led to an increase in accidental poisonings:

https://time.com/5835244/accidental-poisonings-trump/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

The irony is that the people who accuse Donald Trump of lying have no problem outwardly lying about Trump themselves.

They are guilty of that which they accuse others.

He's talking about COVID-19 infection doing a tremendous number in the lungs - which it does - and not disinfectant.

Keep trying to twist his words to suit your agenda, though.

And I'm still waiting to see where Donald Trump "asked people to drink bleach".

Anyone willing to admit that this is a lie?

And no, you cannot then blame any poisonings on what Trump said because Trump didn't ask people to drink bleach.

The only people who claimed that were the media's deliberate misinterpretation and lies about what Trump said.

The media caused those poisonings, not Trump.

Yup , its why every detail of Trumps existence no matter how innocuous is overblown by sheer neurotic paranoia. Covid caught the world off guard. The experts back then were telling people if they touched their eyes they would catch the disease.

Read his direct quotes and its clear he was trying do his best with the information that was given to by actual scientists.

Yeah implying you need to get the disinfectant into the lungs.

It was Trump who caused the poisonings to surge, he started the ball rolling.

He should never have said anything like that in a public press briefing without sanity checking it first.

I don't need to twist his words.

I didn't say he explicitly recommended people to drink bleach, but he used reckless and ambiguous language that was open to misinterpretation. Which is why such words should be chosen carefully.

His remarks led some companies and state agencies to issue warnings about ingesting disinfectants. The maker of Lysol said in a statement that "under no circumstance" should its products be used in the human body.

He convicts himself of what I have accused him of:

It was dangerous, reckless and irresponsible language.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And I bet he didn't say we should nuke a hurricane, or that windmills give you cancer.

I'm embarrassed for ye - trying to defend this utterly stupid and ignorant buffoon.

Exactly. Cases of ingestion of disinfectants rose after Trump's comments, where he took expert advice about how disinfectant works on sufaces, and publicly mused during a public health press conference, about getting that into the body. He didn't explicity say "Drink bleach". And yet, people did in fact ingest bleach.

It's worth noting, cases of ingestion of bleach had already increased in the 2 months prior to Trump's comments, however this was more down to accidental ingestion due to people having more disinfectants such as hand sanitiser, sprays etc and using them more as part of Covid precautions. But cases were at their highest at the end of the month Trump made that comment.

Trump didn't tell people to drink bleach. But as President, discussing public health and safety at a time of international pandemic, he was utterly reckless with his words because he was trying to show how smart he was and pretend he had more knowledge about this sort of stuff than he had, and was rambling about what he felt might be possible solutions by completely conflating two very different things, and some people took that as a sign to f*cking ingest bleach.

So we've moved from "Trump asked people to drink bleach" to, Trump "implied" that people should drink bleach and/or disinfectant.

Just one more shift away from Trump didn't say that anyone should drink / inject themselves with any disinfectant and/or bleach - because that's the truth of the matter.

You can disagree with how Trump discussed the novel therapies that were under discussion at the time, but nobody can just put words in his mouth - or say that he implied something - when he frankly did not.

There are many legitimate reasons to criticise Trump, but this lie - and it is a lie - is not one worth pursuing.

Calm down. It's not like they compared him to Jimmy Saville or anything.

Glad you accept there are many legitimate reasons to criticise Trump. Perhaps you could list some of yours.

Here's one of mine:

Trump implied a dangerous use of disinfectant, he used reckless language which was open to interpretation that they were benefits to getting disinfectant into the body.

So I have just pointed out a legitimate reason to criticise Trump for his comments in the press briefing - they were reckless and dangerous and open to misinterpretation. The time for the President to ask these questions of his expert advisors is behind closed doors. You don't brain storm in the middle of a press briefing on a novel virus, throwing out ideas that could be misinterpreted or are risky or impractical. Which they were.

• Advertisement

Behind the wall of filler outrage, you're still making the fundamental claim that Trump implied people should inject themselves at home with bleach.

No matter how much you stretch the meaning of the words used at the press conference, there is literally zero implication of the above bolded words.

Zero, nothing, nada, zilch, null.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ah it's good to see all these "New" accounts rehash the same arguments from the last few years. We'll be right back to "The Election Was Stolen" in a few days. In 2023! After it has been conclusively proven that this was not the case. That the main evidence of attempted election tampering was the RECORDING of trump attempting to "find" enough votes to overthrow the election in Georgia. That it has been PROVEN that the Dominion machines were not rigged.

We will be back to the Jan 6 "tourists" getting guided tours again!

And once again, I notice that even trump's supporters have not said he is not guilty. In this case, of rape: "trump won't lose this case, no chance". As I said before, "Getting away with it" to his cult members is even BETTER than being innocent.

So I ask one last time to all his followers: Where is the line? Where does one say "I cannot support this man". We know the following:

• Serial sexual assault is not the line
    • Support of hate groups is not the line
    • Attempted election fraud is not the line
    • Hatred of American Prisoners of War ("Losers") is not the line
    • Support of domestic terrorists is not the line
    • Support of insurrectionists is not the line
    • Support of nations/dictators hostile to the US is not the line
    • Intimidation/threat of assassination of political rivals is not the line (“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the second amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know. But I’ll tell you what, that will be a horrible day.”)

Now it's worth pointing out that these are all based on quotes from trump. Every single one of them.

And what do his cultists focus on? Some speech about education plans. Nothing about funding or hiring, restructuring etc. No. "Remove the woke" type stuff. That's enough for them.

His cultists don't say he is not guilty of his alleged crimes. Simply that he will not be convicted of them. What does that tell you about someone's moral compass?

Most people are able to reevaluate their thoughts on certain positions as facts emerge. We've all been there. "Oh, that's such a pity. I had such respect for XXX. I didn't want to believe it but the facts do speak for themselves. That is disappointing/upsetting" This is not a sign of wavering conviction. In actuality it is a sign of a person who sticks to their own morals. However trump cultists stick by him no matter how many facts (And they are FACTS) emerge:

• "The Dems tried to steal the election". Recording emerges of trump attempting to coerce the govonor of Gerogia into "finding" enough votes to overthrow the election count there. Acceptable
    • "He loves the military". In speech about McCain (Who was a POW) "He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren’t captured.". Acceptable

They literally LITERALLY had a golden idol of him at the COP conference. Without irony. The party that is all about guns and the bible had some straight up old testament/Moses/golden lamb stuff going on.

So I'm basically gonna ignore any account less than a couple of years old as we've already had the same conversations before so why bother.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Read his direct quotes and its clear he was trying do his best with the information that was given to by actual scientists.

Indeed - However because he is a deeply unintelligent man (who thinks he is a genius) his "best" is saying incredibly vacuous things out loud , on National TV where other deeply unintelligent people hear him and then do stupid things as a result.

The kids in cages was another lie used to dismantle Trumps border wall policy. That's now resulted in tens of thousands of kids dissappearing into servitude and fent killing people in record high numbers through overdose. Where's the criticism?

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that.”

Once again, he didn't say people should do it, but his reckless language made some people think it would work and they then did it.

The disinfectant knocks it out in a minute.... Is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside..... It does a tremendous number on the lungs.... It would be interesting to check that....

He said the disinfectant knocks it out, he said it could possibly be injected, he said it does a tremendous number on the lungs. His words implied it would work. His words led people to check that.

I explained why it was legitimate to criticise his comments in the press briefing.

You don't brain storm in the middle of a press briefing on a novel virus, throwing out ideas that could be misinterpreted or are risky or impractical

Do you agree or disagree with that comment?

Because you haven't engaged with the actual points put to you on why his comments were dangerous and reckless in the context of a public press briefing.

This is what I wrote:

Trump implied a dangerous use of disinfectant, he used reckless language which was open to interpretation that they were benefits to getting disinfectant into the body.

After all you said:

there are many legitimate reasons to criticise Trump.

Glad you accept there are many legitimate reasons to criticise Trump. Perhaps you could list some of yours. This is the Donald Trump thread.

Perhaps you could provide some of these posts?

Or are you too busy behind that "wall of filler outrage".

Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Honestly it sounds like he was told about sterilising a room or some such and then decided to use his incredible intellect to apply it to the human body from the quotes.

He immediately goes from disinfectant to cleaning the human lungs, that bit didn't come from a medical professional. He is just not very smart and took a small amount of information a lot further than it should go.

It isn't stating you should drink bleach but it is heavily suggesting it and the sentences don't make any sense if that isn't what he is suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

C'mon, if you're back again, you have to have learnt to read posts by now rather than look foolish over and over:

because most people know he said disinfectant of which bleach is a type

Like, there's a whole explanation in the post and you aim for a "gotcha" and wonder why people don't take your posts seriously. If that is what you picked up, then you're no better than the trump supporters who actually drank bleach (a disinfectant) after following his advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Look at you, parsing words and exclaiming victory!

Like the average trump supporter picks up on nuance, or can differentiate what trump said and meant.

Which is it? Is trump not the great communicator we were told he was, or are his supporters a bit thick?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's also that he half hears something in a meeting because he simply wasn't paying attention and then tries to use that little bit of information to try to make himself sound awesome but because he wasn't listening and because he simply is not very bright , he just ends up rambling like an idiot.

Shining lights inside the body , ingesting bleach , nuking hurricanes etc. etc.

Most people are at least intelligent enough to know what they don't know and as such they know when to stop talking.

Trump is the living embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect so he just never stops talking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement