Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Can you name a few of these policies you liked?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I am still baffled that this man is still the republican's top choice for the presidency. WTF is wrong with America? Are there not very powerful people in the Republican party who can say enough is enough? What more controversy around him do they need.....weird people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

It doesn't work that way. Establishment Republicans would get rid of Trump tomorrow, if they could, and they were pretty against him in 2016 right up until it became clear that he would be the nominee. For them, it's power over principle. They know that if they take a stand against Trump, he'll take half their base with him and render the party unelectable and that's not something they're willing to tolerate. Therefore, they're stuck with him.

Look at Ted Cruz, if you can stomach it. He outright refused to endorse Trump at the 2016 RNC, but was phone banking for him a few months later. Then, he went away for a little bit, grew a beard and came back pretending he was with Trump all along. That's the mindset in that party. Most of the politicians in that party who were against Trump openly have been purged from it. Others have probably just stayed quiet or are pretending to agree with him, like Cruz. Trump is literally not going anywhere until he dies or the base turns on him. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

In reality, giving Russia some of what they want (or already hold) is likely the only way to end this thing. Trump would be pragmatic enough to recognise that if it is the case. I don't think he cares much about Ukraine or Russia, he cares more about his own nation and also preventing this thing turning into a much broader catastrophic global conflict - because that is bad for everyone.

There is next to no chance of Ukraine winning outright and pushing Russia out of all their territory... that much is abundantly clear to most intelligent observers. It's only those that have been completely bought and sold by propaganda who believe in that possibility. (which is amusing considering many of these same people consider Trump to be lacking in intelligence, yet he has figured out the obvious reality on the ground in Ukraine, while his haters are still believing in a fantasy outcome that will never happen)

I'm sure Trump will also be well aware of how big a role his own nation has played in this conflict, and how big a role they are playing in making sure no peace deal takes place. He would be privy to far greater information on exactly what has been taking place, than all the armchair amateur geopolitical "experts" on forums such as this... (no offence intended of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You are wasting your time trying to be objective with the guys on here they can see no positives from Trump's time in power. Terminal TDS

Funny how Russia didn't invade Ukraine whilst Trump was in power. But as soon as Putin saw the state of US's withdrawal from Afghanistan under the Biden Administration. Putin knew well Biden's ties with the Ukraine you can be sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It isn't. Russia a sh*theap of a country desperately clinging on. Trump was nothing more than a simp for Putin and other tyrants. I doubt he'd be able to find Ukraine or Russia on a map.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The sad thing is Trump had some good policies but his antics, sexual history and down right lies get in the way of him presenting himself as a credible candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

and also preventing this thing turning into a much broader catastrophic global conflict

He quite clearly does not give a **** about that.

how big a role they are playing in making sure no peace deal takes place.

Russia systemically murdering and raping Ukrainians in occupied territory is what is ensuring there is no peace deal taking place

Anyway, no matter what your view on the conflict, Trumps claim that he would solve it in one day is quite clearly complete and utter buffoonery.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Oh yeah, I'm well aware of this mentality. Hence why I said their "pathological hatred" clouds their judgement.

As I've said, I don't really like Trump as a person. He's obnoxious, narcissistic and a bully tbh. But for me those things are not automatically a deal breaker when compared with choosing someone like Biden. Despite Trump's annoying character flaws, I don't think he is anywhere near as dangerous as many people try to portray him on the political left. And he does have some effective leadership qualities.

Biden on the other hand, while he appears like a very mild tempered individual by comparison, his decisions while in office have shown that he is a far more dangerous leader. He is dangerously incompetent, and like I said he has brought the world closer to the edge of the cliff than anytime certainly in my lifetime. That's all I really care about. I don't play the identity politics game, I leave that nonsense to other people.

For what its worth some of his criminal justice reform policies were good.

He only did them cause Kim Kardashian asked and he's a simpleton but they were still good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭Panrich

The wall. He built a wall. It was a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

Giving Russia part of what they want just means they are arm and invade again in 6 months time. That is all that means. They will then immediately demand peace again with the expectation that they get more land to appease them and then you see were that is going. This only ends when Russia has either been defeated or conquered every smaller non Nato country nearby.

There is a reason Finland suddenly jumped into Nato because they were well aware that Russia finishes off the Ukraine they will look for the next vulnerable victim and being part of Nato is part of that.

You have a great headcannon of what Trump would do. None of which is borne out of any evidence of how he was pretty well manhandled by Putin in any meeting they had.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sadly, the person you're responding to is banned from the Russia thread because of his nonsense. So he's shown up here, full on Trumplodyte spew.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Setting aside things like policy etc for a second , I'm genuinely intrigued by this one in relation to Trump.

"he does have some effective leadership qualities."

What examples are there of him showing actual leadership?

Everything out there about him from his time in business to his time in public office says that he's an appalling person to work for.

He's short tempered, capricious, incapable of accepting any criticism, demanding absolute fawning loyalty over competence in his staff whilst burning through employees at a staggering rate - All of whom leave on bad terms by the way.

There's also his absolutely unshakable belief that he is always the smartest person in the room - The ability to recognise your limitations and to be able to step aside and allow the experts to take the lead is a sign of genuine leadership, in fact it's one of the key ones.

Even if you were to be aligned with his policies in general (which I absolutely am not), the man is a thundering Arsehole and would be awful to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Stephanie Grisham, cough one time press secretary cough gave an interview where she mentioned a particular intern that TFG was drooling over and how she had to ensure they were never in a room together alone.

Yep, a great boss, but we know what the sex pest thinks of women, especially those that stand up to him - nasty, crazy, bleeding from her whatever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Not only does he think he's the smartest person in the room, he thinks hiring people smarter than himself is a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What has Biden done that has made the world less safe?

Trump threatened to destroy NK, and pulled out of the Iran deal that had curtailed Iran's move towards a nuclear weapon.

It is funny that many Trump supporters who never tire of wailing about the invasion of migrants from Mexico are more than happy to allow Putin to invade another country and deem it acceptable. Does sovereignty only exist for the US?

Wasn't addressing you. But he definitely did not build the wall as he said he would

H. H. Asquith

Presidents don't tend to come up with all their own policies themselves anyway.

He was overwhelmingly terrible, but not every single thing he did was awful. I don't think there is any problem stating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Trump is like a 3 year old off his head on sugar running amok having tantrums.

Completely uncontrollable, devoid of any empathy, diplomacy, kindness. Psychopath.. and we have folks on looking for positives. He has none. The chap is a maniac!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In fact, we all heard about the phone call where trump begged (like a dog?) The Mexican president not to bring that up publicly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Of course. Trump already bent over to Putin in Helsinki so there's no reason whatsoever to expect him to do anything else. It's pretty obvious that he admires the likes of Putin, Kim and Xi for their authoritarian approach. Him saying that he'd have the issue solved within 24 hours is so laughable, it's hard to even know where to start with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,406 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Authoritarian means not only doing what you want to do, pillage the public for money, but also not have to worry about pesky elections!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What Trump admires about them is their ability to do whatever they want without legal or media oversight.

One of the biggest shocks for him was the discovery that the President isn't King and needs approval and sign-off on decisions etc.

Given that his "business experience" was entirely from running his own private firm where he was never answerable to a board or shareholders etc. and could do what he wanted whenever he wanted , that experience was utterly useless to him in terms of transferable skills to being President.

Being President is all about negotiation, consensus and compromise - Skills that Trump is utterly devoid of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement