Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The jobs situation does not matter to a Trumper, in fact if there are unemployed it makes it easier to find workers that will not demand higher pay, they will be grateful for a job. Provided the Trumper has wealth and guns the rest of the population can go to hell. And if Trump works for these people (after himself of course), then he is worth re-electing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Prosecutions take time. Just what do you think Jack Smith's team might be investigating?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Another Independent just like yourself Overheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fact is he did not order anyone to seize the Capitol.

A lie Independant Trumpers tell themselves. Selecting red herrings out as their 'alternative facts'

Ok then why hasn't he been tried for Treason since?

He's currently under multiple criminal investigations, including by US special counsel. Those he told to "fight like hell" and "march on the capitol" and all the other coded language for seizing the capitol and stalling the Electoral Count to trigger a pseudo-legal coup, have pleaded or been found guilty of seditious conspiracy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They don't really care about their own economic prospects thought. For the Trumpsters, it's all about owning the libs.

Now that their syphilitic, tangerine idol is yesterday's news, they're reduced to constantly regurgitating the same drivel over and over again.

He made the country disastrously vulnerable to COVID, he singlehandedly tanked the economy and attempted a coup when America's broken electoral system failed to hand him a second undeserved win.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Found the trigger point.

None of this snivelry obliviates the obvious, that Trumps jobs performance record is the worst since herbert hoover. He claimed to be a job creator but he left office with millions fewer jobs than when he came in to office. There's no excuse for it. This is why you don't send a con man to the White House, he was clearly never ready for a national emergency. All of this efforts to turn the stock market into a glass cannon really showed their cracks as soon as there was any disruption, and what a disruption it was. You just can't build a good economy on stock buybacks and tax and regulatory slashing. It sure did con a lot of their voters into believing the house of cards was going great there, "muh 401k etc." but lo and behold, there wasn't a single year of >3% GDP growth anywhere in Trump's term - which was the bare minimum Republicans pledged to provide the economy during their 2016 campaign cycle, as an attack on Obama. Trump promised double that. But his tax cuts never generated that growth, because that's not how the economy works.

That's not what he wrote. "Independant" lol I digress.

I make no hiding of the fact for intents and purposes you may think of me of a 'never Trumper' if it suits you. Not afraid to show my spots, you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Ahwell

True, but his lack of leadership and slow response to the pandemic led to a much worse economic outcome than what other nations experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No you are not being objective and are ignoring Covid.

Again from that article you quoted

For comparison purposes, Fortune annualized the job gain rates under all the past leaders since Reagan. During Obama’s eight years at the helm of the nation, U.S. employment maintained a 1% annualized return. That growth level did start to climb during the Trump years; as of February 2020 employment was increasing on a 1.5% annualized basis during his presidency.

So for the first 3 years of his term, his job numbers were very good.

To not factor in Covid as a reason for the huge job losses is not critical thinking.

It was absolutely factored into my post if you and the Trumpers bothered to read it.

There's no excuse for it. This is why you don't send a con man to the White House, he was clearly never ready for a national emergency. All of this efforts to turn the stock market into a glass cannon really showed their cracks as soon as there was any disruption, and what a disruption it was. You just can't build a good economy on stock buybacks and tax and regulatory slashing. It sure did con a lot of their voters into believing the house of cards was going great there, "muh 401k etc." but lo and behold, there wasn't a single year of >3% GDP growth anywhere in Trump's term - which was the bare minimum Republicans pledged to provide the economy during their 2016 campaign cycle, as an attack on Obama. Trump promised double that. But his tax cuts never generated that growth, because that's not how the economy works.

3 years of hiring people to shuffle deck chairs on the Titanic doesn't eliminate the iceberg. And you wouldn't hire that captain again.

• Advertisement

He claimed to be a job creator but he left office with millions fewer jobs than when he came in to office. There's no excuse for it.

Yes, there is - it's called the COVID-19 pandemic.

The fact that you want only to focus on the Start Point and an End Point of a presidency, ignoring the factors of what happens within the 4-year period, demonstrates that you are omitting facts to falsely present the data re: Trump.

Literally digging the heels in for excuses.

Laughable.

The President of the United States is still the President of the United States in good times, or bad, and boo hoo, times were bad and he did not, as alleged, have it "totally under control." He owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"For the record I am neither a member of both Parties but a registered Independant Voter."

Up until COVID-19, you never could have made the claim you're making today. And to say that any US President could have weathered the storm without a single job loss is quite frankly absurd.

It's laughable.

And the worst lockdowns in the US were inflicted by Democrat strongholds, so if you want to talk about where the greatest job losses occurred, then perhaps you should direct your anger at Democrat states and not Donald Trump.

But if you want to blame Trump for the actions of Democrat states, that's your right - but don't pretend to be presenting objective facts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Interesting. So you are an American MAGA voter, and most certainly in the kind of demographic we’d expect to vote for Trump based on your possible age-range. I’m surprised you do not admit to being a registerd GOP voter, because that’s clearly how you vote, but I know that is an optional thing.

You seem to be very focused on a narrow framework of MAGA / pro-Trump taking points, usually platformed by the likes of Fox News. It’s mostly done to arm the likes of yourself with counter-arguements to argue against what I sorry to tell you are the realites of the world. Your MAGA cohorts and like-minded Boardsies here might echo what your say, or even back you up, but it does not take away from the facts that Trump has done damage while in office.

May I ask why you are debating Trump on an Irish discussion website? The other pro-Trump posters are potentially Irish, but since you’ve opened up to being American, I am curious about your arrival here. You must now see that we have a somewhat different viewpoint on Trump and the GOP over here.

Just to hold my hands up here, I may be Irish but I wouldn't support nor vote for Trump if I were an American.

But there's a kind of blind analysis here, where everything is viewed through a negative lens re: Trump. Lately, we've seen people trying to blame job losses in the US on Trump and not a global pandemic.

When that level of ridiculousness kicks in, don't be surprised when some people jump in to add clarity and balance to the discussion.

Adding that clarity doesn't make someone a "MAGA supporter", it makes someone objective about the actual facts about what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Ahwell

A very telling fact - the strongest identifying predictor of whether someone is vaccinated, or not, is who they voted for in the presidential election. As a result, people living in counties that voted heavily for Trump during the last presidential election have been nearly three times as likely to die from COVID-19 as those who live in areas that voted for Biden. A President downplaying the seriousness of a pandemic for his own political ends has consequences - who'd of thought.

Pity for him Terms are for 4 years and elections happen every 4 years. 😂 He can't jump ship while at sea.

Still sniveling about and drumming on about Covid doesn't negate the fact. None of his pre-covid years evidenced any of his promises about what his economic policy would do either though: he promised his 2017 tax cuts and jobs act would lead to '4%, 5% 6% or more' GDP annual growth. It never happened. He not only promised to eliminate the deficit, but eliminate the federal debt. Yeah, that never happened either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Zero context and probably aimed at the war monger Biden

• Advertisement

No, the truth - particularly when it's inconvenient to me, because that's when it matters most.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Piskin

I am not a MAGA voter, neither am I Republican, I have issues with certain aspects with them. I have voted for the candidate I like in the past regardless of party. I have voted for Republican & Democrat. I am a registered Indepentant. As for your issue with me being american posting on an irish site well why are you as an irishman posting about american politics?

You do realise he wanted immigration & flights from China stopped for a time period before it hit America bigtime but was blocked & called a racist by Biden & Pelosi etc

I know many formerly Democrat voters who opted for Trump in 2016, and many independent Americans who opted for Trump too. This was a far more widespread phenomenon than many people believe.

The situation is different now, admittedly, but in 2016, it wasn't so clear cut.

The people trying to crowbar all Trump voters into extreme "MAGA-ists" do not know what they're talking about.

Trump was called racist, and later the WHO agreed with his policy not just for the US, but for the entire world.

But the same people tarring Trump as racist said nothing of the kind when the WHO - eventually - recommended the same, very obvious policy.

Not what was on the ground here during his term, there were record growth, jobs, start-ups. 401Ks Pensions etc

Again where did he say seize the Capitol and start a resurrection? These clowns when they stormed the Capitol were acting on there own stupidity muchlike like most mobs do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

More an curiousity about your nationality than an issue. I’m curious about why an American would come onto that Irish discussion forum unless they have some ties to Ireland. If you don’t, it suggests that perhaps you are seeking out International forums with the intent to spread pro-Trump talking points, which is part of why I assume you susbscribe to the MAGA mindset. American politics has a knock-on effect to the rest of the Western democratic world. It is in my own interest to pay attention to this.

As an independant non-MAGA, non-GOP/DEM leaning voter, why are you so set on defending Trump? It appears to be the entire theme of your interaction here. Otherwise why are you engaging so much of your energy to defending this man on a forum written to by people almost exclusivly on the other side of the ocean? If you are not MAGA, why do you care this much?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,525 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You've had this answered numerous times. All you're doing is proving that there's no point in responding.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Trump didn't order any seditious act.

Had he done so, Trump would have been arraigned accordingly (and could still be arraigned today, if evidence can be produced to justify the allegation).

As the poster says, the responsibility of what happened that day lies exclusively with those who perpetrated the crime. Anything less absolves them of the responsibility they quite obviously deserve to bear.

In the course of those events, Trump told them to go home - not to continue any seditious act.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement