Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭francois

The MAGA meltdown on twitter is something to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Still don't think he'll ever see any real punishment. House arrest in a golf club or some other cushy number.

I also think if he is taken out of the running for 2024 too early there will be time for support to coalesce around a single GOP candidate. (maybe not DeSantis?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Thing is, trump will never endorse another candidate, he'll pick up the ball and run off home in a strop, and thus the arse of support for another candidate will completely fall through

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He could definitely promise his support to whoever the likely candidate is provided they promise to negate any legal issues he's facing if they get elected to the Presidency. There are plenty of Trump's strongest supporters who might decide not to vote in protest of what happened to Trump. If Trump mobilised them to vote for the GOP candidate it could definitely make a difference.

If Trump is out of the running due to legal issues, backing another candidate so they'd pardon him or have the DOJ drop charges/investigations, that's definitely something Trump would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I wonder if the absolute worst thing for the US is if he dies before he’s found guilty of espionage? (Before the right wingers lose their mind, I’m not hoping he dies, just pointing out that he’s 80 and not exactly in peak physical fitness for an 80 year old either.)

MAGA supporters make up what? 10% of the population or so? That’s a sizeable minority that would absolutely believe that democrats chased “their” president into the grave and making him a martyr of some description. Especially if he died before finding him guilty, as he’ll have died “innocent”.

I would say there’s a few nervous people in the Justice dept.

The republicans should absolutely hang their heads in shame though. They were meant to be the party of law and order. Now they just seem to ignore it as doesn’t suit their agenda at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The absolute worse thing for the entire world is if he's reelected.

The second worst thing for the US at least (and possibly the entire world) is if the GQP take the white house. Whoever is POTUS could pardon him and not suffer any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

As I said... I hope he runs while under indictment or charged

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

All charges against Trump could be dropped tomorrow and he could live until he's 140, and after he dies his supporters will still believe that the Dems killed him, while simultaneously believing he's not dead and will be running for Presidency again in 2088. With JFK Jr Jr as his running mate.

That 10% that you're talking about, I think they're too far down the rabbit hole to ever see the light of day again. I think it's more important to try stop people following them down there than trying to pull them back out. Best way for that is to just follow the legal processes to their fullest, and show no-one is above the law. Trump keeps talking about how what's happening to him has never happened before and is unprecedented. Let what happens to Trump become the precedent for if someone tries similar again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

If he dies it wouldn't be chased into the grave. There would be full on conspiracy theories that he was assassinated. Honestly this could be the case whenever he dies.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There is no legal impediment to him running either for the GOP Candidacy or indeed for President while under indictment or even if convicted so Trump will run unless he's actually stopped from doing so.

If the GOP try to cut their losses and block him from the nomination then he will go full scorched earth on them and destroy any candidates chances in the actual election by telling his core supporters to not vote which loses the GOP every swing state and even a few others that aren't traditionally swing states (like Texas for example).

If the GOP allow him to run - Which they will because they are gutless cowards and only care about not getting primaried , then the outcome is the same - Trump will be completely and utterly toxic to most independents and him being on the ticket will make every possible Democrat voter come out and vote.

The only difference in terms of the result is that if the GOP allow him to run anyway it will burn them all the way down the tickets leading to a blowout in the House and Senate for the Democrats. But , if they did block him from standing it might actually help them hold on to some seats , similar to how House/Senate candidates did better than Trump in 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

CNN have obtained the transcript of the tape recorded in Bedminster where he confirms that he has National defence document, that he doesn't have the power to declassify it now he's no longer President.

“Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this,” Trump says at one point, according to the transcript. “This was done by the military and given to me.”

“Well, with Milley – uh, let me see that, I’ll show you an example. He said that I wanted to attack Iran. Isn’t that amazing? I have a big pile of papers, this thing just came up. Look. This was him,” Trump says, according to the transcript. “They presented me this – this is off the record, but – they presented me this. This was him. This was the Defense Department and him. We looked at some. This was him. This wasn’t done by me, this was him.”

“All sorts of stuff – pages long, look. Wait a minute, let’s see here. I just found, isn’t that amazing? This totally wins my case, you know. Except it is like, highly confidential. Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this.”

As we have known for years, the man is a weapons grade imbecile.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

An utter moron.

Destroys his own defence and adds a few extra charges to the list all in a few moments.

Do we know who he was talking to here?

Given that it's an audio tape and he's heard saying "Look at this" "Look here" etc. is it reasonable to assume that he actually showed someone the document?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Any of his fans care to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

If trump is prevented from running its an open goal for that odious creature Ron. Question is, with how awful and dangerous trump is. Could Ron be even worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well, it confirms what most sane people have known about him. The guy literally thinks he's the king of the world. Nobody has ever gone to him, at any stage of his life, and said "no Donald, you can't do that". And it's finally starting to come back to haunt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

All I know about the recording is that it was made by Mark Meadow's autobiography team whilst they were in the room with Trump and others.

That said, there may well be more than one recording and if Meadows has as is presumed flipped? Everything, every single piece of information that flowed through his hands from 2020 to when he went dark on Trump are in the hands of the Special Counsel.

As I said in a n earlier post,I think the prosecution of the Documents case will be Florida and the Jan 6th case will be DC.

The recording has utterly destroyed any defence of power to declassify or other bollox that Trump and his proxies flooded the zone with. He is caught bang to rights acknowledging he had documents, acknowledging that he no longer has power to declassify and that he knows that the documents are still classified along with showing them to someone with no clearance.

He has destroyed and vestige of credibility in his defence and his public comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They're slowly distancing themselves from him. Went from "greatest president ever" to "I'm not a fan but..." so I expect them to move on to "He should step aside and allow [X candidate] to take the reins".

Whilst never pinpointing the exact event that pushed them over the edge, despite being asked multiple times.

The only way he can be "prevented" from running is if the GOP party deny him a place on the Primary ballots.

There is nothing legally stopping him from standing as a candidate even if he is convicted.

The GOP are screwed any which way they move at the moment.

If they actively block him from running in the Primary, Trump will tear down the remaining candidates and his MAGA core are large enough to ensure that any GOP candidate loses the actual election.

If they allow him to run but he actually loses the Primary , it's the same result - Trump will say it was fixed and stolen from him and his MAGA base will screw the actual winner.

If he wins the Primary and is the GOP candidate , then he repulses the Moderates/Independents and massively energises the Democrat base leading to him losing by a huge margin.

What I'd like to know is where are those that regurgitated the defence that he had the power to and did declassify documents.

Now you've heard him on tape saying he didn't, how much of a fool does that make you feel?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In my opinion he has if you watch his video from last night he echoes some coded language he used on January 6 at the ellipse.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

"how much of a fool does that make you feel"

Not the first time you've probably asked that and won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

He has no fans here. Just impartial, unbiased observers.

If Trump doesn't get to be the GOP nominee he will do everything he can to prevent anyone else from the GOP winning.

DeSantis or anyone else winning would be a disaster for Trump and his ego as it would show that the GOP don't need him to win.

If A.N. Other GOP candidate loses then Trump can continue to claim that he would have definitely won , that it was all stolen from him and that he's still the greatest ever and so on.

Now , if he was actually convicted and in jail serving time (even if convicted it's hard to see him going to actual Jail to be honest) he might attempt to work to support another candidate , but he has taken his followers so far down the rabbit hole it's hard to see how he could get them back to vote for RDS or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,422 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Let's say Trump sweeps a lot of the primaries, and ends up in jail - do those delegates have to vote for Trump or could Trump tell them to vote for some VP stooge Trump puts forward at the convention?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Think it varies from State to State as to whether the delegates are "tied" or not - Not that that stopped Trump trying to install alternative electors in 2020!!

But generally speaking , it's the GOPs show so they could change the rules however they want - Like if they suddenly grew a spine they could pass a by-law saying that people convicted of a federal crime couldn't stand etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

4.4% of the US population believe in using violence to reinstate Trump in the White House.

• Advertisement

House Republicans suddenly pretending like they don't understand or believe in the existence of the Special Counsel process

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement