Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He's not suggesting that per se she needed to be indicted but he is a former prosecutor himself. He's previously discussed his frustration that the FBI, Comey made the 'no reasonable prosecutor' public remarks, his frustration was, reforming the DOJ so something like that doesn't possibly occur: the FBI investigates, the attorney general determines to prosecute or not.

But you're also right, he fed this **** for far too long and went far too astray, he allowed himself to give his own verdict on the Hillary Clinton case - months before Comey came out with FBI conclusion. He also rallied the entire Republican National Conference into a mob frenzy of them deciding, by mob rule, that she was guilty.

Now the party is suddenly on a 180: no presumption of innocence here, no due process, no trial, no jury, no indictment, and a campaign pledge to prosecute a specific US citizen, a former Secretary of State.

So don't get me wrong: he would be a disaster POTUS, or VP. But he's smart. But also reckless. And show this clip to anyone that suggests it's the left, Democrats, Biden, etc. that is engaged in a witch hunt or similar, they need a mirror check.

Chris Christie is currently polling at 1%. Why he entered the race to begin with is beyond me.

Which has nothing to do with what was posted but giraffes are tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Cry harder, b1tch!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Smith is a sick and deranged sleazebag"

Says the guy who was found liable for sexual assault last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And who is attracted to his daughter and would want to sleep with her if she wasn't his daughter and had no problem telling his daughter that on national television.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There were no restrictions placed on Trump at his indictment, apart from not communicating with witnesses, and there has been a bit of discussion on line about him being a flight risk. Would it not suit the US very well if he did run? They don't have to have a court case and the problems of imprisoning him, they do not have to risk making him into a martyr. He just disappears into obscurity, hopefully. If anyone will have him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Not a chance he would disappear into obscurity. The exiled leader of the country who had the election stolen from him, was harassed into leaving the country and now has to stay in exile because of an illegal witch hunt. The grift would be endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,556 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Where would he run to and have the lifestyle he wants to live and be safe from extradition.

He won't get that in Russia, China or North Korea.

The Saudi's won't take as they will continue to want arms from the US.

He will want to be a martyr even if that means prison so he can make more money of his faithful believers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He said he'd date her, not sleep with her. He's saving himself for marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

After all these years Trump supporters still have to explain what he actually meant. So much for being a great communicator

If anyone would have him indeed. However, there are some countries without extradition treaties that would provide him with a good quality of life, if he is as rich as he professes. He could buy himself a golf course or similar and be immune to the life of everyday people there. Having someone like him based in their country stirring up poop about the US would probably align with the foreign policy and propaganda of some rulers. Would be quite the win for Putin for example, and those 'rather be Russian than democrat tshirts would be apt'.

Would Trump be happy when he actually realises what it means to be in a country without a functioning judicial system, without freedom of speech against the ruling party, when he sees the limited freedom he would actually have? probably not. But I don't think it is beyond the realms of possiblity that he would go somewhere if he thought it would make him more of a hero to his supporters

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Raysin

-Dubai seems like it would be Trump friendly. He'd fit right in, they've the same approach to human rights, women, de-facto enslavement of foreign labour, general ostentation and interior design. UAE has no automatic extradition to the US, no treaty, and residency is easily bought, just like Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He doesn't have to buy a golf course, he owns one here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I for one would love to see how the man who couldn't organise even a flood of his server room, manages to slip the leash of his secret service team and flee America to a country with no extradition treaty.

I would totally watch that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

His secret service detail are there to protect him, not to babysit him.

They won't be stopping hom going anywhere. 1st they are not the police and 2nd Trump has no travel restrictions placed on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You think that the SS are going to allow a federally indicted FPOTUS the opportunity to travel abroad to a country with no extradition? Really?

Trump could certainly decline continuing SS protection, but given he believes that like the Presidency, that they are "his". I doubt he would.

But let's assume he doesn't, Travel plans would have to be filed, hotels and other necessities booked and all that carries lead time. In that lead time, either the SS pull the plug in such a trip or DOJ seeks a variance to his continuing release conditions.

The other option is that he declined continuing SS protection and tries to make a run for it in Trump Farce 1. Again with needing to get pilot/flight crew to file flight plans and so on. And then deviating from whatever was filed to fly him somewhere and for them to also become criminally liable in his escape.

I just don't see it happening.

He has no travel restrictions placed in him. There is no legal basis to stop him travelling

There are multiple legal bases to stop him from traveling in fact. It just so happens that in this case the Prosecution recommended that no such restrictions occur, dumbfounding the arraigning judge.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/06/14/us/politics/usa-v-donald-j-trump-waltine-nauta.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As I suggested earlier, regardless of the feasibility or advisability or likelyhood of him leaving, it would suit the government very well if he were to do a runner. They would probably pass high speed legislation to prevent him coming back 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I think that's what @Leroy42 meant. There's no restriction placed on him so the law wouldn't impede him from going wherever he wants.

If Trump does end up in a house arrest situation can he charge through the nose for the stay of his own SS agents?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They surely have to tell their bosses where they are and where they are going though? I also thought there was something about former potus being meant to ask before leaving the country, although that is likely just a courtesy thing to current administrations which he'd obviously ignore.

I don't see it happening either, but I see how he could make use of living in another country to rile up his base and play the victim.

DOJ to investigate PGA/LIV merger

Trumpo may regret being hotly in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Many prominent republicans now nipping his heels on the media in the US today;

They must see him as being vulnerable.

I assume their internal polling is coming in and its not good.

I see no more red hats and a number of Trump signs are going AWOL across the nation, eg. Pennsylvania, which was a crucial upset-state in 2016 for Trump vs Hillary:

Ochams Razor: the sheer amount of Republican voters who are veterans or have military families and did themselves or know loved ones who kept classified information secure under serious legal threat of consequences and whom had or have loved ones whose lives depend on the integrity of our intelligence keeping, eg.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Remember months ago the news outlets reported that there was nuclear information in the docs stored at MAL and trump et al rubbished those claims, and it turned out to be true?

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

Not sure if they see him as being vulnerable in the sense that they could usurp his throne, but they may see a niche of relative common sense / reason in the Republican party.

• Advertisement

I think something has changed. There is a slowness of those to come out to support and an increase in those willing to be less than fulsome.

People like Trump, their support is largely based on fear. Whether fear of harm, with the likes of Putin, or fear of political harm. All leaders have it to some extent, power gives them that, but Trumps massive and locked in base, coupled with his ability to attack any opponent, has created that fear.

Whether through polling data or just time my reading of it is that something is different.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement