Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,816 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

everlast75 wrote: »
    You appear to here. And rather than challenge my point, you made a lazy swipe at my interest in American Politics.

Its not healthy to have so much hate for a person and profess it on an almost daily basis over 3 years .
    Its almost like an echo chamber.
    There is no example of a modern day 1st World country leader who can compare to Trump, and I don't mean that in a complimentary way.

The standard of politicians isnt exactly high is it though.

We had Varadkar over the last few years, he is smug, incompetent, and manipulative like Trump.
    The main difference is that he doesnt shoot his mouth off all the time.

Boris in the UK, hardly a shining light.
    He was an existential threat to american and world democracy.

The US is a robust democracy and still is.

How was he a threat to world democracy ?

By not instigating wars in far flung corners of the World was it ?
    By asking Nato to pay its fair share ?
    By highlighting the corruption in the WHO ?
    By taking sanctions against China ?
    By reducing illegal migration into the US ?
    By reducing tensions with North Korea ?
    By brokering peace deals in the Middle East ?
    It is truly shocking how close he came to a 2nd term.

Well he would have if it hadnt been for Covid.
    Covid and Trump being Donald Trump lost him the election.
    He mishandled the pandemic and he lost the older voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Its not healthy to have so much hate for a person and profess it on an almost daily basis over 3 years .

The standard of politicians isnt exactly high is it though.

We had Varadkar over the last few years, he is smug, incompetent, and manipulative like Trump.
    The main difference is that he doesnt shoot his mouth off all the time.

Boris in the UK, hardly a shining light.

How was he a threat to world democracy, by not instigating wars in far flung corners of the World was it ?
    By asking Nato to pay its fair share ?
    By highlighting the corruption in the WHO ?
    By taking sanctions against China ?
    By reducing illegal migration into the US ?

You compare Varadkar to Trump? Fcuk me.

Do you believe it's healthy to have a lot of love or hate for a football team that's in a different country over a period of decades?

Some seem to be triggered by the term 9/11 in the call for a 9/11 style investigation. They could just as easily call it a Benghazi style investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭yagan

Some seem to be triggered by the term 9/11 in the call for a 9/11 style investigation. They could just as easily call it a Benghazi style investigation.
    What I want to know is why there hasn't been an investigation as to why it wasn't called 11/9, and how they're able to talk about firearms using metric but not in any other circumstance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Trump ramped up overt nationalism to dangerous levels
    He massively reduced worker rights and those of the gay community.
    He treated the free press that dared question him as enemy of the people
    He used certain groups like muslims, Mexicans, black community as enemies of society
    He was dangerously obsessed with crime/punishment and national security.
    Under his regime multiple human rights violations were carried out
    He made it so that inequality in the US became even more apparent thanks to even more of the overall wealth going to top 0.1%
    He tried to basically demonise science and other intellectuals in society.
    He used cronyism throughout his tenure which btw is illegal as president.
    Many of his regime were convicted of crimes and he then pardoned them.
    He tried to overthrow an elected government after he lost election
    He let the Saudis and Russians get away with war crimes.
    He legitimatised Kim's regime in North Korea
    He used the office of president as a tool to monetize his brand.

Do you believe it's healthy to have a lot of love or hate for a football team that's in a different country over a period of decades?

I have 3200 posts over almost 20 years in the Soccer forum.
    Thats 160 per year.
    Those posts are not confined to one club, they concern numerous clubs in different leagues in different countries.
    I am a fan of football foremost not one particular club.
    The overwhelming majority of your posts are in the soccer forum. Something people like to chat about grown men kicking a ball about and collapsing in agony when tapped on the shoulder

And if you were to look through my posts in the soccer forum you would see that the post rate had diminished alot over the years.
    I no longer enjoy watching football as much as the game is now soft as you say.
    The coverage has also reached saturation coverage, you cant turn on your tv without some match being on somewhere in the world.
    A bit like Trump on the news channels.
    Wall to wall coverage over the last 4 years.

yagan wrote: »
    What I want to know is why there hasn't been an investigation as to why it wasn't called 11/9, and how they're able to talk about firearms using metric but not in any other circumstance!

When I saw tweets referring to 1/6 I scrolled down looking for the other 5. But of course it's a reference to the insurrection date. Media seem to have a craving to coin these little terms nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Debateable, but a whole other thread. I'd start with highlighing the electoral college system as a start.
    How was he a threat to world democracy ?

Well, by refusing to accept the election result and refusing to offer efidence to his claims that it was fixed and then phoning the governor of Georgia and asking him to "find" 11,000 odd votes.

He was actually doing ok in the polls long after covid was in play. It was the George Floyd incident and his threat to send in the Natuonal Guard to deal with peaceful protests that pulled him under.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I have 3200 posts over almost 20 years in the Soccer forum.
    Thats 160 per year.
    Those posts are not confined to one club, they concern numerous clubs in different leagues in different countries.
    I am a fan of football foremost not one particular club.

That wasn't my question. My question was, do you believe it's healthy to have a lot of love or hate for a football team that's in a different country over a period of decades?

As in, if I had a quick look through your posts in the soccer forum, would I find you calling out people for posting about their love and devotion (or hatred) of one particular club, or is this something you only do in the politics current affairs forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

and so it begins.

"On the heels of the Senate's acquittal of Donald Trump, the NAACP, Mississippi Rep. Bennie Thompson and civil rights law firm Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll filed a lawsuit against the former president, Rudy Giuliani and two white supremacist groups, citing their role in the Jan. 6 insurrection.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday morning in Federal District Court for the District of Columbia, alleges that Trump and Giuliani, in collaboration with the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, conspired to incite the riots to keep Congress from certifying the results of the 2020 presidential election. It claims they did so in violation of the Ku Klux Klan Act, a Reconstruction-era statute designed to protect both formerly enslaved African Americans and lawmakers in Congress from white supremacist violence."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/16/naacp-trump-giuliani-capitol-riots-469077

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://www.citizensforethics.org/legal-action/legal-complaints/sedition-complaint-trump/

Citizens for Ethics in Washington have filed a criminal sedition complaint against him

• Registered Users Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Tippex wrote: »
    and so it begins.

"On the heels of the Senate's acquittal of Donald Trump, the NAACP, Mississippi Rep. Bennie Thompson and civil rights law firm Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll filed a lawsuit against the former president, Rudy Giuliani and two white supremacist groups, citing their role in the Jan. 6 insurrection.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday morning in Federal District Court for the District of Columbia, alleges that Trump and Giuliani, in collaboration with the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, conspired to incite the riots to keep Congress from certifying the results of the 2020 presidential election. It claims they did so in violation of the Ku Klux Klan Act, a Reconstruction-era statute designed to protect both formerly enslaved African Americans and lawmakers in Congress from white supremacist violence."

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/16/naacp-trump-giuliani-capitol-riots-469077

Can't wait for the "headbanger" defence to be pleaded....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

everlast75 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the "headbanger" defence to be pleaded....

the chewbacca defense is much more likely. and I am very serious when I say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

the chewbacca defense is much more likely. and I am very serious when I say that.

I have it on good authority they will be using the Shaggy defence...

It wasn’t me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

frag420 wrote: »
    I have it on good authority they will be using the Shaggy defence...

It wasn’t me

I think it might be more like Michael Scott. Cannot keep his mouth shut and let someone else take the credit and so will seek to make sure how much everyone listened to him.
    It's ok though, because his GOP buddies will do his best to ensure he isn't censured again also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

The overwhelming majority of your posts are in the soccer forum. Something people like to chat about grown men kicking a ball about and collapsing in agony when tapped on the shoulder, others like to chat about the awful things a narcissist has done to a whole country.

To each their own.

Somebody wasnt very good at P. E :D

That wasn't my question. My question was, do you believe it's healthy to have a lot of love or hate for a football team that's in a different country over a period of decades?

As in, if I had a quick look through your posts in the soccer forum, would I find you calling out people for posting about their love and devotion (or hatred) of one particular club, or is this something you only do in the politics current affairs forum?

Are you honestly trying to compare a football fan following a club to a person following a political person/party ?
    Following a team is usually a lifelong thing, its a form of tribalism.

Politics isnt like that, well at least modern politics isn't or it shouldn't be.
    Peoples political views and beliefs can often change, they may switch allegiance quite regularly.
    I am aware that there are still alot of people who vote based on historical reasons and in the US its quite common.
    Up until 20 years ago a scarecrow could have been elected in parts of Ireland for Fianna Fail.

I do not believe its good to have a lot of hate for anything, its not healthy.
    If a certain poster continuously and hysterically slated a club or a player they wouldnt be long getting banned from the soccer forum.

In some ways this thread is quite alot like the football forum, there is alot of bickering , slagging and emotion.

Are you honestly trying to compare a football fan following a club to a person following a political person/party ?

Politics isnt like that, well at least modern politics isn't or it shouldn't be.
    Peoples political views and beliefs can often change, they may switch allegiance quite regularly.
    I am aware that there are still alot of people who vote based on historical reasons and in the US its quite common.
    Up until 20 years ago a scarecrow could have been elected in parts of Ireland for Fianna Fail.

In some ways this thread is quite alot like the football forum, there is alot of bickering , slagging and emotion.

His point is that people can have a healthy interest in politics which many people who participate in discussions do. In this case, Trump has become a significant figure in global politics and he is being judged by many posters based on his actions.

In relation to hate, some of his most ardent supporters actively hate large swathes of society... Weirdly you never bring up concern about that. Or that Trump actively ran his campaign on hate.. Many posters simply have zero time for his type of politics and favour him having legal consequences for his criminal behavior.

Is this coming from the person who tried to compare Trump to Varadkar?

I don't understand how that makes it better. And are you saying that now that Trump has left office, his supporters have forgotten about him? Or will the majority continue to defend him until he dies, just like a football team?

Trump left the Paris agreement. If people don't get angry at such people being elected into such a powerful position, such people will continue to be elected into office and that can have detrimental effects on the world as a whole, including on us and our future generations. That alone makes me it understandable to be angry about compared to a Liverpool fan being angry when Man Utd win, because it actually affects people's lives.

Didn't you say you had a similar hatred of Kyle Griffin just a day or two ago anyway?

I think you'll find every forum on Boards is like that. Welcome to the internet.

• Advertisement

Didn't you say you had a similar hated of Kyle Griffin just a day or two ago anyway?

A "biased hack" with a history of "misleading tweets" was the jist of it I think. Was asked to provide examples of said tweets but ignored the question of course and disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Could a mod threadban me there please

• Registered Users Posts: 25,558 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Whats with the dramatics :pac:

Whats with the dramatics :pac:

All the upcoming lawsuits will suddenly scare all the Trumpists away again after their brief emboldenment last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

No problem.

Don't post in this thread again

Queue the moaning about mods being biased etc when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Queue the moaning about mods being biased etc when they do.

#CancelCulture

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

No problem.

Don't post in this thread again

Harsh.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Reminds me of the joke, the sadist turned to the masochist and asked 'hurt me'.
    To which the masochist replied 'No'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement