Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,643 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I feel that the media industry and culture in America produced Trump. CNN gave him disproportionate publicity in 2015 because they realised (correctly) that he was good for ratings.

I shudder to think what other nut case they'll focus on in the future for ratings.

So I always fail to understand the defence of US media. It's clearly part of the problem.

Even on quiet days, CNN spent hours and hours talking about Trump. It was disgraceful.

Why do you spend so much time watching CNN if their coverage is disgraceful?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,816 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I feel that the media industry and culture in America produced Trump. CNN gave him disproportionate publicity in 2015 because they realised (correctly) that he was good for ratings.

I shudder to think what other nut case they'll focus on in the future for ratings.

So I always fail to understand the defence of US media. It's clearly part of the problem.

Even on quiet days, CNN spent hours and hours talking about Trump. It was disgraceful.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/415669-larry-king-hits-cnn-stopped-doing-news-to-focus-on-trump
    Ex-CNN host Larry King mocked his former employer earlier this week, declaring that the network “stopped doing news a long time ago” by opting to primarily cover President Trump.

"They covered him as a character. They carried every speech he made. They carried him more than Fox News, at the beginning," King said. "And so they built the whole thing up and the Republicans had a lot of candidates and they all had weaknesses."

"CNN stopped doing news a long time ago," King said while being interviewed by another former CNN anchor, Rick Sanchez. "They do Trump. Fox is Trump TV and MSNBC is anti-Trump all the time."

"You don’t see a story — there was vicious winds and storms in the Northeast the other day — not covered on any of the three cable networks, not covered," King noted. "So when CNN started covering Trump — they were the first — they covered every speech he made and then they made Trump the story. So, Trump is the story in America."

CNN and their parent company (Warner/At&t) only care about ratings and the policy that they decided was initially to give Trump a huge platform and huge publicity as they never believed he'd actually win the election.
    That later turned to a negative agenda against Trump.
    The Project Veritas whistleblower leaks show CNN's true agenda.
    The most trusted name in news, yeah right.

CNN and their parent company (Warner/At&t) only care about ratings and the policy that they decided was initially to give Trump a huge platform and huge publicity as they never believed he'd actually win the election.

Yeah and Fox News argued in court that no one should expect that Tucker Carlson is reporting the news.

One of these stations is the most watch cable news network, which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭briany

yagan wrote: »
    Trump will attack the GOP from now on because he needs total alignment to have a hope at a rerun, or to launch Eric.

Oh, here's hoping. Here would be that launch in gif form.

tenor.gif

Yeah and Fox News argued in court that no one should expect that Tucker Carlson is reporting the news.

One of these stations is the most watch cable news network, which is it?

Fox News is inherently biased, I'm not denying that.

I'm saying that CNN is also biased, its not objective.
    Posting links from Foxnews doesn't credit one.. but discredits one. Fox news is a Far Right propaganda channel. Just like any other of the Murdoch media

But quoting CNN is perfectly fine is it ?

I could have quoted other links just as easily, non Fox News, the story would still be the same.

• Advertisement

Fox News is inherently biased, I'm not denying that.

I'm saying that CNN is also biased, its not objective.

But quoting CNN is perfectly fine is it ?

I could have quoted other links just as easily, non Fox News, the story would still be the same.

Depends on what the link is. Is it reporting on something? Or is it an opinion piece. Note the vast majority of what Fox push on their social channels are the latter.

There were times when people were complaining about CNN showing Trump in a bad light when literally all they did was stream his press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/415669-larry-king-hits-cnn-stopped-doing-news-to-focus-on-trump

News flash, every news agency (except maybe pbs) are commercially driven

Depends on what the link is. Is it reporting on something? Or is it an opinion piece. Note the vast majority of what Fox push on their social channels are the latter.

There were times when people were complaining about CNN showing Trump in a bad light when literally all they did was stream his press conference.

Do you think CNN opinion programmes like Andersen Cooper, Don Lemon, Amanpour, Erin Burnett and Cuomo are in anyway objective ??

Do you think CNN opinion programmes like Andersen Cooper, Don Lemon, Amanpour, Erin Burnett and Cuomo are in anyway objective ??

I don't know. I don't watch them.

For someone who said it's not good good to have a lot of hate for anything, you sure do have a lot of hate for CNN.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No they aren't really , although I'd submit that they are quite a bit more objective than their Fox News counterparts.

The other issue is the mix of Opinion vs. News - Fox wildly over-indexes on Opinion and they have further doubled down on that in recent weeks with their line up changes.

Beyond a few hours in the middle of the day , it's almost impossible to get fact based "hard news" on Fox.

None of them are anywhere close to neutral , but without question there are degrees of partisanship and Fox are way out on their own on that front.

I wonder how many people talking s**t about CNN in America are the same ones tuning into OANN, i.e. the news channel which at one point claimed that the 'real' election results had Trump at 410 electoral votes.

It always makes me laugh the way some of these people go, "Don't watch CNN, BBC, RTE news.", and you go, "Oh, so where should one be getting their unbiased news from?", and the answer is, "Oh, well [flaming right-wing news site], and of course some nutter on Facebook posting unverified rumour and conspiracy theory."

Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire... Some brass neck to be talking about 'fake news'.

briany wrote: »
    I wonder how many people talking s**t about CNN in America are the same ones tuning into OANN, i.e. the news channel which at one point claimed that the 'real' election results had Trump at 410 electoral votes.

It always makes me laugh the way some of these people go, "Don't watch CNN, BBC, RTE news.", and you go, "Oh, so where should one be getting their unbiased news from?", and the answer is, "Oh, well [flaming right-wing news site], and of course some nutter on Facebook posting unverified rumour and conspiracy theory."

Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire... Some brass neck to be talking about 'fake news'.

For some of them, I honestly don't think they know the difference or are aware of their own cognitive bias.
    Those people now want their news (and their politics) dramatic and WWEish and will go to the sources that provide them that dopamine

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/abughazalehkat/status/1361846831374884865?s=19

I don't remember CNN ever stooping to this kind of level.

I never said that they did.

At what point does that kind of spiel become defamation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

Wow I laughed at tucker on this.

briany wrote: »
    At what point does that kind of spiel become defamation?

Until the point when Fox hold up their previous settlement stating that tucker's show is just entertainment and no one of sound mind should take it literally, or was that Sean Hannity

They same far-right project veritas that have been kicked off twitter for Doxing?
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/12/22279707/twitter-project-veritas-suspension-privacy-violations

duploelabs wrote: »
    Until the point when Fox hold up their previous settlement stating that tucker's show is just entertainment and no one of sound mind should take it literally, or was that Sean Hannity

Ah well, at least the channel was forced to back-handedly insult a large swathe of its viewership.

Seeing as they were forced to admit that, maybe they could put it as a disclaimer at the start of Carlson and Hannity's shows.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    They same far-right project veritas that have been kicked off twitter for Doxing?
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/12/22279707/twitter-project-veritas-suspension-privacy-violations

I dont see how that is relevant.

Project Veritas released tapes of CNN’s morning briefing calls with CEO Zucker and other staff members that were recorded over a number of months.
    Its their own words.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of Trump's most public supporters, Rush Limbaugh, has passed from his illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Penn wrote: »
    One of Trump's most public supporters, Rush Limbaugh, has passed from his illnesses.

My mam always said "if you can't say anything good, then don't say anything at all", so.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Penn wrote: »

No loss, terrible human!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

everlast75 wrote: »
    My mam always said "if you can't say anything good, then don't say anything at all", so.........

Just a pity Limbaugh didn’t adhere to that view too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

everlast75 wrote: »

I’ve never understood why we should pretend people weren’t pricks just because they’ve croaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

It's been a tough time lately to be a poor-people-hating bigot.

I dont see how that is relevant.

Project Veritas released tapes of CNN’s morning briefing calls with CEO Zucker and other staff members that were recorded over a number of months.
    Its their own words.

Ah yes, the reputable Project Veritas that regularly misrepresent and alter recording to push a particular agenda....

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

MadYaker wrote: »
    I’ve never understood why we should pretend people weren’t pricks just because they’ve croaked.

Yep. He used to name out gay people who died from AIDS accompanied by hooter horns and bells sound effects.

A truly abhorrent human being. Deserves zero respect just because he has died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

“I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”

― Mark Twain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement