Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Close to half the votes cast went to Trump. I don’t think a lot those trump voters care about trump crimes, they think Biden is corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

What is going to be key to this and Neal Katyal said it last night is that Justice Roberts must allow cameras in the court for the entirety of the case. If not, there will be a tonne of misinformation (both sides), but just look at the continued spouting from Trump after all of these indictments.

If they don't have cameras there is a very real possibility that even if he does get convicted his followers will continue to claim his innocence. Even when they state innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

I would find it alarming if Trump got more than 20% of the vote: his apparent polling which is well in excess of that is astonishing, super-alarming and I would like to think that such a clown would never poll like that anywhere in Europe.

I think it was RFK who said that 20% of people would appose just about any political measure, no matter how reasonable. That's why I referred to 20%;it's a sort of nutter threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Trump got 74,222,958 votes in 2020 and there are 260,836,730 people eligible to vote in the USA so 28% and nowhere close to half.

Has Trump gained a single new vote since then? Probably not. Has he hemorrhaged votes since then? Definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You said half of America. Your exact words.

I don't care what the MAGA brigade think at this point. They're some of the worst people currently living.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Or, and I may be jumping the shark here it's being prosecuted in the very same district as the offenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I see we’ve got to innocent until proven guilty but also he shouldn’t have to go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well if you cant prove it then we will all just assume that you are lying through your teeth much like your hero.

Are you trying to tell me that if I commit a crime here in Ireland, that I would be tried here in Ireland where the crime took place? Or if I stole a sandwich from a shop in Loughrea that I would be tried in a Loughrea district court?

What if I preferred to be tried in the Seychelles or somewhere nicer?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They are described as a "Political Consultant" so it could be any of a number of people.

Ginni Thomas , Jason Miller , Roger Stone , Steve Bannon and so on.

The description of the actions attributed to them seem pretty low level though , it describes them as getting/confirming phone numbers for various senators to allow Conspirator #1 (Giuliani) to call them.

Could be any of Trumps campaign staff at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Agreed - You could answer a simple question instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Care to outline how Smith has acted in a biased or partial manner in this case? I'm not talking about past cases (you outline two he lost without mentioning how many he has won without any such criticisms, including his many trials at the Hague against war crimes committed in Kosovo), I'm talking about this actual case.

He is taking these trials to court in the state where the crimes occurred. That is standard legal practice. His indictments clearly demonstrate the evidence obtained and justifications for bringing forward the indictments, and were decided upon by grand juries. That is standard legal practice. He hasnt commented publicly on his opinion of Trump and has instead just stuck to the facts of the case. He is not demonstrating bias or impartiality by doing so.

So like a maths exam, show your workings out, as you might at least get half marks. What are you basing your assertation that Smith is neither unbiased nor impartial on?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You've also got people (Ramaswamy) promising to give Trump a pardon for a crime he hasn't been found guilty of yet.

You even have people (De Santis) being chastised for refusing to commit to giving him a pardon for a crime he hasn't been found guilt of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The Hague are happy to have him prosecuting on war crimes. He had one case overturned by the supreme court but equally has had plenty of successful prosecutions of corruption. So he's pretty highly regarded on a global scale. We now even have trump's VP as a witness against him. Plus we're likely to see another indictment over his behaviour in Georgia. But you, the supposed centrist will label multiple strong cases as kangaroo courts.

The likelihood is by the time the election comes around, Trump is likely to have been convicted. You've said innocent until proven guilty but you've made it pretty clear that you won't accept any guilty verdict cause it's a "kangaroo court"....

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭maik3n

hehe, I don't think there are too many people who wouldn't know who John Edwards is, lol.

However, the more pertinent point would be if you asked them who Jack Smith is and what relevance he has to JE.

You would most certainly get a lot of confused/funny looks. Strange timing that all of sudden, the connection is made now?

Anyways, I think this is where the hit piece on Jack Smith comes from

http://americafirstpolicy.com/latest/fact-sheet-jack-smith-a-record-that-speaks-for-itself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Trumpster drivel, that seems to be your stock reply to everyone you disagree with in relation to Trump.

Would it be ok for me to label you and others as leftie loonies or perhaps libtard drivel or even TDS drivel ?

I think we know the answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

All eligible voters don’t vote, of those who who voted, close to half voted for trump.

You would expect an proven con artist to lose a lot of support but I don’t think he has. A Biden Trump election will still be close but I would expect Biden to win. Right leaning news sources paint Biden to be as corrupt as Trump, and a lot of people believe it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What were you expecting in fairness? You made a fanciful claim you knew would be challenged and responded with a snide comment.

You want to defend this guy? Fine but when you dump nonsense from whatever r/The Donald clone, expect an appropriate response.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

And no proof is your standard reply, or even just ignoring a question like @everlast75 asked

The poster in question claimed to be talking about Edwards before Smith's appointment but failed to back up their point , so the rest is moot

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Quick question. I don't know if it's been mentioned here already, but what kind of sentance is trump looking at if he's found guilty of these latest charges.

I can't see it mentioned in the articles I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,600 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What I don't understand is why people continue to think that Trump is the only option. That given the option to go with a right-wing candidate that is looking to 'drain the swamp' or such rubbish that they think that the guy now currently on 3 different indictments is the only option.

Why even risk losing just for a guy that in reality didn't achieve anything of note in his term. Some will point to the SCOTUS, but that is a matter of timing. It really only matters if a GOP or DEM gets in.

They can't really still believe that this guy is anything special.

He has lost support though

Polling asking the question "Do you think Trump has done nothing wrong?" has shown a slump in support for Trump even from Republican voters

In the last month that has dropped from 50% to 41% among Republicans and 52% of Independents think that he has done something illegal.

Every number for Trump is showing a decline.

Fundamentally it's really hard to see where someone that voted for Biden in 2020 is going to vote for Trump in 2024.

Also - Demographics are not in Trumps favour either , 1st time voters in 2024 are overwhelmingly likely to vote Democrat and the voters that are no longer around are more likely to have been GOP voters.

Turn-out will matter and the Electoral college will make it closer than it ever should be , but Trump doesn't have a pathway to victory right now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Will posters stop trying to interrogate other posters

If you don't like the answer you get, or indeed if there is no answer, move on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A fanciful claim ?

You call me saying "If you think I didnt know who John Edwards is before Jack Smith was appointed then you are 100% incorrect." fanciful ?

Or me saying that I had mentioned John Edwards on the Trump thread fanciful ?

They are simple and basic statements.

Nothing fanciful about them at all, just an excuse for some posters to have a go at me as usual.

Ive wasted enough time on here this morning, better get back to work now, I know its an alien concept to some.

• Advertisement

It's the "terror of the primaries"

The "comparatively" saner elements of the GOP know that Trump is toxic to the wider US Electorate but because of the grip Trump has on the GOP base everyone is terrified of making a move against him for fear of being primaried and squeezed out so they keep publicly supporting him.

That 25-30% of GOP registered voters that are "Trump til they die" have the party by the balls and it's entirely of their own making.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement