Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did you miss this official statement from Trump campaign?

These persecutions of President Trump and his supporters is reminiscent of Nazi Germany in the 1930s, the former Soviet Union, and other authoritarian, dictatorial regimes.

Everyone is a Nazi these days.

Grifters eh? Trump is the grifter in chief.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

One constitutional crisis question: Does Trump have a pocket pardon where he pardoned himself for all federal crimes he allegedly committed from birth to 20 January 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Doc07

While somewhat amusing, it really is quite depressing. If these social media posts were from a 3rd world junta/dictatorship where english was not the 1st language it might seem somewhat understandable if still appalling.

But these ramblings are from the recent and possibly future ‘leader of the free world’ and not some lunatic from Niger or N Korea.

It’s like a far fetched dystopian movie plot like you would see in Mad Max or ‘the Running Man’ but in a depressing slow motion car crash reality.

I can get why people can still maintain republican/GOP loyalty and values while remaining decent people and of course there is plenty to be disgusted about on the Democratic Party side. However, conservative or not (and I’m fairly conservative/centre right etc) to not be ashamed and disgusted with Trump’s carry on and maintain you are a ‘reasonable adult’ requires either serious cognitive dissonance…or to be a massive c&nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would have thought that in order to be pardoned of a crime, you'd have to be found guilty of it first. Otherwise, what are you being pardoned from? What you are describing sounds more like trying to make oneself immune from prosecution or at least immune from criminal liability. Pretty sure a sitting POTUS can't do that. Failing all else, it sounds like an admission of guilt - "All crimes I may or may not have committed in office have now been absolved. Alakazam!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭CrazyEric

You may have missed the point I made. Like Mr Trump you are talking about what you perceived was said, not what was said. Trump and Co are selling the "anti woke agenda", telling the people that the left want to remove their right to pray, bear arms and have any opinion of their own. Until the Democrats defeat the narrative instead of the Narrator this will continue ad nauseum. Are you trying to say that all the liberal ideas are great? Your examples are fine, Teaching people about sexuality, consent, the history of the country, the need to protect the environment, treating people looking for a better life compassionately, the value of scientific process, long term sustainable societies and so on are great but that is not what the right is telling its followers the agenda is.

Trump is an indicator of a large mindset in America and trying to deny it is complete and utter nonsense.

And overwhelming amount of Americans want federal gun control of some kind, why do you think the legislation cannot be passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 82,456 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Talking about missing the point, from my original post.

Any semblance of what might be classed as a 'Woke Agenda' has been contrived within the mindset of Conservatives smart enough to know they have zero meaningful policies by which to appeal to people. There's a reason they've won about 1 popular vote at Presidential elections in the last 30 years. The conservative ideology is failing on its feet unless it is given booster shots every couple of months through the creation of fantasy narratives of their mouthpieces.

I don't care who the messenger is, whether it is Trump, Tucker Carlson, Michael Graham, Steve Bannon, Ann Coulter, Jesse Waters, Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Rupert Murdoch.

Conservative ideas are largely pushed downward whereas, generally speaking liberal ideas are adopted upward.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What about the part that says 'well regulated'?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,006 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We're at the 'hatching schemes to stay in office is not a crime' gutter now

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Defending Trump by calling him a narcissist who lied about winning the 2020 election but that isn't against the constitution so he didn't do anything illegal in Fox's view.

Rupert Murdoch still hedging for his bets with Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,362 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is how a Supreme Court judge should conduct themselves;

In an opinion article published today in the Washington PostMargaret McMullan, an organizer of the Mississippi Book Festival, published her account of inviting Sotomayor to speak in 2019 – noting that the justice turned down a modest stipend and didn’t seem that interested in selling her book:

Subsequent emails and phone conversations were similar. No, Le said, the justice did not need us to provide lunch or dinner. No, she could not accept the $250 stipend.

Did Le urge me to buy more books? No. She did ask whether we wanted any of the copies of “My Beloved World” to be in Spanish. In fact, we did, and I hadn’t thought to order them.

When Sotomayor came to Jackson, we had her speaking in the sanctuary at Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church, the church where Eudora Welty once worshiped. Backstage, Sotomayor smiled when she saw my clipboard of questions. She helped me with my tote bag full of books. She then clapped her hands together and said something like, “Okay. Here’s what we’re going to do.”

In addition to our planned onstage interview, she said, she wanted the freedom to go off-script. “They’re children,” I recall her saying. “I want to be sure I get to their questions.”

“Perfect,” I said.

She concludes:

There very well might be a culture of poor ethical conduct in the Supreme Court, but there is no moral equivalency between justices accepting rides on private jets to vacation with friends who had cases before the court and Sotomayor talking about her books and her life to a crowd of mesmerized young readers.

The standard royalty rate for authors is less than 10 percent of the sales price. I don’t know anything about Sotomayor’s deal with her publishers, but 10 percent would make her cut of the 1,500 books our foundation purchased approximately $2,250 — for which she had to fly to Mississippi and give two presentations. During the hottest month of the year.

Was that a bribe? You be the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hope so and they put a gag order on that court proceedings. More charges also from Georgia.

More!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I try not to share stuff from overly left-wing media channels but this is quite priceless. He's rambling on and on about showers and water pressure. And they say Biden is losing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Same "leap" was made by the ADL, too. They kinda know antisemitism when they see it:

"Jonathan Greenblatt, the CEO of the Anti-Defamation League, decried the comparison, calling it “factually incorrect, completely inappropriate and flat out offensive.”

It seems like you just read the first paragraph or so, which is sad since there was a lot more to that article. I think this quote captures its essence - do remember that the interviewees, are scholars of the Holocaust.

"Roth: Polling done by the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) in the spring of 2023 indicates that antisemitic incidents in the United States are at the highest level since the ADL began tracking them in 1979. More than 3500 such incidents—harassment, assaults, vandalism—took place in 2022, a 36 percent uptick from 2021. "

and "Antisemitism infects Donald Trump in ways that make him a transactional, performative-when-advantageous antisemite. What serves his self-interest is good. What doesn't is bad. His constituents often trade in antisemitic tropes. Trump won't denounce those who advance them if having dinner with them instead is more to his political advantage. Although Trump touts that his daughter, Ivanka, and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, are Jews and that he has Jewish grandchildren, Trump deplores the failure of Jews to support him while he has supported Israel. Trump's pals include antisemitic white supremacists. He attacks influential Jews such as George Soros and Janet Yellen. He depicts American Jews as having dual loyalty, implying that Jews can't be trusted as true Americans. "Disloyal Jews" are Jews who support Democrats. He'll portray Hillary Clinton with a Jewish star and stacks of currency in the background"

Walks, talks, quacks like a duck, I give you Donald Trump, antisemite

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,137 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

bucketybuck threadban lifted

as predicted, because Trump's team have been told to attend before the presiding judge in DC, they are alleging that he is being silenced.

Firstly, I ****ing wish!

Secondly, this is not a free speech issue. When on bail, your rights are restricted. That is a fact. That includes certain things that you can discuss, or state, such as threats, either implicit or explicit. Of course, his base have the attention span on a gnat so his mouthpieces will regurgitate buzzwords and they will gladly get outraged.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The whole thing has nothing to do with "Free Speech" or the 1st Amendment.

He is being charged for things that he is alleged to have done not things that he allegedly said.

And like you say , Bail restrictions are a legal component of the terms of your release on bail.

They can limit the places you can go , the things you can do , the people you are allowed speak to etc. etc.

It's called the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

One for the ages. A former President not understanding that his first amendment rights also applies to every other American. Even the ones he doesn't like.

You can say you have a million dollars in the bank (even if you have only $100 in there). Trump isn't being indicted for this.

You can tell your mates you've a million dollars in that bank. Again, trump isn't being indicted for this.

You cannot go into that bank and demand that they give you your (supposed) million dollars. This is what trump is being indicted for.

MAGA seems to just admit flouting law and order is the point now. Fox suggesting he will violate court orders simply to try and stick it to the judge. Any defendant doing that quickly finds themselves in the Find Out stage. They seem to think a plurality of voters won’t immediately see these as efforts to self martyr.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,512 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

You know what, a week in jail for clear contempt of court would be exactly what is needed to test the Magaloons mettle.

It would be the perfect build up to a custodial sentence for one of the indictments

Alleging something (on fox for example) and saying something under oath are two different things...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sadly the practicalities/logistics of putting Trump in jail for a week (or other short time-frame) make that highly unlikely.

Hard to know what kind of temporary sanction that could be effectively applied and Trump probably knows this.

They can prevent him from accessing information without lawyers etc. but in terms of his Social Media activity if the Judge were to put in place some kind of injunction against him , he would just say all the same things via a proxy like one of his idiot sons or any number of other mouthpieces that would do it for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement