Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,701 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1364418553336758273?s=19

Excuse the language, but it is ****ing outrageous that senators and members of Congress are still out there, pushing the big lie.

People have literally died, and yet they double down and keep lying, making the chances of more people suffering even higher.

I am relieved Pelosi and Pence avoided the mob, but i cannot help but wonder what would have happened if they came to harm. Would the vote to confirm the results be the same? Would they still be pushing the lie after the inauguration?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

everlast75 wrote: »

I just find it really strange that he is now basically calling the SCOTUS as some sort of Democrat led politically driven partisan hack job.

SCOTUS picks were basically his crowning achievement. He really did little else that made a positive difference to anyone.

And yet here he is, saying that he elected people to SCOTUS that are puppets of the Democrats! If that is true that hasn't he single handledly handed over the SCOTUS to Democrats?

How can his supporters read that statement and think that he is the man to get back in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I just find it really strange that he is now basically calling the SCOTUS as some sort of Democrat led politically driven partisan hack job.

SCOTUS picks were basically his crowning achievement. He really did little else that made a positive difference to anyone.

And yet here he is, saying that he elected people to SCOTUS that are puppets of the Democrats! If that is true that hasn't he single handledly handed over the SCOTUS to Democrats?

How can his supporters read that statement and think that he is the man to get back in charge?

Because he has cultivated a god like persona for the disaffected / forgotten / bigoted / racist / simplistic / introverted / far right / evangelical cohort of the US electorate and like any cult style leader his followers are mesmerised and slavishly follow his pronouncements without question or critique.

When you (Dems and Republicans) have allowed a massively polarised society to emerge with huge swaths of un or under educated citizens who feel excluded and genuinely believe they have nothing to lose you only have yourself to blame when someone eventually comes along and taps into that disaffection by telling them they are loved, that they are the real America, that he will fight for them to make their lives better and that XXX (choose your target group from Mexicans to Dems to Antifa to Environmental campaigners to China etc) are to blame for their situation etc etc.

Combined inaction by the Dems and Republicans to create a more fair and balanced society over decades is to blame for the macro problem. Trump has and is taking advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

54and56 wrote: »
    Because he has cultivated a god like persona for the disaffected / forgotten / bigoted / racist / simplistic / introverted / far right / evangelical cohort of the US electorate and like any cult style leader his followers are mesmerised and slavishly follow his pronouncements without question or critique.

I agree he has created a cult like following ,I think there would have to be a very large cohort of ordinary decent Americans infatuated by his persona versus your conventional career politican.The disaffected being the closest description,same phenomenon that elects Boris,votes thru brexit,the personality or the outcome is of little concern to them as long as its not what the establishment want and even if its against their own interests they seem compelled to rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭threeball

When you (Dems and Republicans) have allowed a massively polarised society to emerge with huge swaths of un or under educated citizens who feel excluded and genuinely believe they have nothing to lose you only have yourself to blame when someone eventually comes along and taps into that disaffection by telling them they are loved, that they are the real America, that he will fight for them to make their lives better and that XXX (choose your target group from Mexicans to Dems to Antifa to Environmental campaigners to China etc) are to blame for their situation etc etc.

Combined inaction by the Dems and Republicans to create a more fair and balanced society over decades is to blame for the macro problem. Trump has and is taking advantage of it.

Same idiots that believe in the American Dream, an idea almost a century out of date. They believe Trump is the epitome of the American dream when he is in fact the exact opposite, with every opportunity possible given to him by accident of birth.

When I grew up in the 80s America was the place to go, exciting, flashy, outlandish. In the few decades since its become a bit of a laughing stock on the world stage with most people admitting that they wouldn't want to live there. Some fall from grace in such a timeframe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1363861445818142720?s=19

He is f***ed. No doubt there'll be a leak. Looking forward to it.

On his taxes we already had a leak from the NYT before the election, iirc he paid a total of $750 in one tax year and nothing in others. So either his businesses are shipping serious losses or he has been deflating the value of them to the IRS. Neither scenario is good for him.

His speech on Sunday to CPAC should be good for a laugh. Im expecting him to go full Trump and ramble on for more than an hour about the stolen election. Its also been reported he plans to tell the conference that he is the presumptive nominee for 2024.
    An unnamed “longtime adviser” was quoted as saying Trump’s speech to the rightwing event will be a “show of force” with the message: “I may not have Twitter or the Oval Office, but I’m still in charge.”

A named source, close adviser Jason Miller, said: “Trump effectively is the Republican party. The only chasm is between Beltway insiders and grass-roots Republicans around the country. When you attack President Trump, you’re attacking the Republican grass roots.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/22/trump-cpac-republican-presumptive-2024-nominee

A survey of Republican voters a few days ago asked who they want on the 2024 ticket-
    Trump- 59%
    Don Jnr 6%
    Nikki Haley 6%

So this is still very much the Trump show, at least for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its just his pathetic mindset with his three nominations of "I gave you those jobs, so every case that comes to you, you vote on my side!". Which is even more ironic as its the kind of "political swamp" he was going to drain in his election promises, and yet his voters pivot 180 and follow his mental outburst.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭briany

Muahahaha wrote: »
    On his taxes we already had a leak from the NYT before the election, iirc he paid a total of $750 in one tax year and nothing in others. So either his businesses are shipping serious losses or he has been deflating the value of them to the IRS. Neither scenario is good for him.

His speech on Sunday to CPAC should be good for a laugh. Im expecting him to go full Trump and ramble on for more than an hour about the stolen election. Its also been reported he plans to tell the conference that he is the presumptive nominee for 2024.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/22/trump-cpac-republican-presumptive-2024-nominee

A survey of Republican voters a few days ago asked who they want on the 2024 ticket-
    Trump- 59%
    Don Jnr 6%
    Nikki Haley 6%

So this is still very much the Trump show, at least for the time being.

Trump will run again if he can, but I can't imagine the speeches being as firey and the campaigning being as relentless. At some point, being in one's mid-70s has to show.

Although Trump is still very popular among Republican voters, he's also even more unpopular with the rest of the country. That's a problem for his reelection. Another problem is he is now a known quantity and there'd be few, if any, voters who'll say 'what the hell?' and take a punt on him. Another problem is that Trump probably won't admit to any wrongdoing in his first 4 years and so he would run on a platform of doing exactly what he did in his first term, pretty much,even though that's what got him voted out.

What it would come down to would be who runs against Trump. This is Trump's great hope. Neither of the current likelihoods look that great. Biden would be in his early 80s by that point, and hadn't he only intended to serve one term? Kamala would be Hillary MK.II in terms of her going "I'm a woman, yay!" and courting progressive causes. I could see the Dem base being divided upon this. The only saving grace would be that they may get over that and ally with independents to keep Trump out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think the Dem base would be divided no matter who was running if it was against Trump.

They learned from their mistake in 2016, when perfection got in the way of reality and they saw that by not voting for HC they allowed a far worse Trump get into power, change the SCOTUS and many other things.

As you mentioned, the number of people willing to say 'what the hell' is virtually non-existant and as such Trump has very little path to power.

If Biden does a reasonable job, if he can at least start to tackle some of the issues facing Americans, then a continuation through Harris won't be seen as a bad thing, except for those that see her being a woman first and most importantly that being a bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Biden does a reasonable job, if he can at least start to tackle some of the issues facing Americans, then a continuation through Harris won't be seen as a bad thing, except for those that see her being a woman first and most importantly that being a bad thing.

Nothing to do with her being a woman, and it wasn't anything to do with Hillary being a woman in 2016, either (I think Hillary's big negative was being seen as a total Washington insider). My concern is more the perception of Kamala as being a progressive in a country that leans to the right and the danger of alienating people by going too hard on that platform. Just before the 2020 election she put out a tweet about equity, which got a good deal of pushback. I don't find the sentiment all that controversial, but I can see how moderates in the States would be cocking an eyebrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ehh. This is for a grand jury. It's going to be very tightly sewn up. In fact, if the GJ decides to indict, #IMPOTUS can stop that via plea bargain before anything goes public.

And, it won't be fast. Next year at the earliest for some resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And the QGOP eejits not masking in the lobby. Yet another super-spreader brought to you by the #IMPOTUS and his QGOP toadies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,419 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Some people are just gullible though and easily manipulated. Can education completely solve this? I'm not so sure.

So they've gone full biblical. Moses is going to be pissed. Again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

I've seen a cringing clip of Ted Cruz quoting braveheart at it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Jesus Don Jr. with a complete scatter brained speech here. Whole crowd completely silent listening to him

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Some people steal a living looking for anything they can use. Other people consume and regurgitate any old garbage handed to them.
    Jacobson is a hack.

Conspiracy theories forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Some people steal a living looking for anything they can use. Other people consume and regurgitate any old garbage handed to them.
    Jacobson is a hack.

Attack the substance, not the poster.

"Physician, heal thyself"

duploelabs wrote: »
    Attack the substance, not the poster.

Sorry. I wasnt attacking the poster. I mean these people like the Jacobsen guy who make their money looking for things like the above. They post it online and hope that their followers will spread it and bring them attention.

I'm not bad mouthing the poster or I didn't mean to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Sorry. I wasnt attacking the poster. I mean these people like the Jacobsen guy who make their money looking for things like the above. They post it online and hope that their followers will spread it and bring them attention.

I'm not bad mouthing the poster or I didn't mean to

But it’s true, so I’m not sure what your point is. Especially considering many of his followers do carry around flags and other items containing Nazi memorabilia.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Jacobson is a hack.

When you have nothing to offer on the content go after the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Panrich

The introverted are keeping pretty bad company there.

• Advertisement

When you have nothing to offer on the content go after the messenger.

Because the content is plain silly.

The messenger (Jacobsen) deserves to be ridiculed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement