Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

Politics isn't necessarily about the morality of the politician in question. Whether right or wrong, that's the uncomfortable reality of the situation. Despite all the allegations and indictments against Donald Trump, it hasn't significantly swayed the electorate. You'd think it would, but it hasn't:

The Quinnipiac University poll, released Wednesday, found that 47 percent of respondents would support Biden and 46 percent would support Trump in a hypothetical general election match-up between the two. Biden has a slight edge with independent voters, with 45 percent saying they would support him and 41 percent saying they would support Trump.

The same would be true of Joe Biden. Even if the allegations against his family turned out to be wholly true, I don't believe it would significantly impact the electorate's decision for precisely the same reason. Nobody on this thread would choose not to vote for Biden if those allegations were 100% true. It's the same thing. It happens in politics.

Winston Churchill's decisions contributed to the 1943 Bengal Famine, where an estimated 3 million people died. Yet Churchill is still venerated to this day for other political reasons. Politics has always been selective about who we like and the reasons we like or dislike them.

So whilst you can frame it in terms of "what Trump has done", it is unlikely to significantly sway the electorate that support him nor his legacy (in their eyes).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well it wouldn't be put down as "defecting". RT would give him a job so that his cultists would say "Oh, he moved to Russia for his job". Blah blah blah. But no, he's not gonna. He's never gonna see the inside of a jail. Everyone knows that his terrorist cultists will mount another terrorist attack if he ever did. And in that respect, he's won. Terrorism won. That's his biggest political legacy: Enabling and focussing terrorism. Can anyone disagree with that assessment?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Cancelled because it contains no proof and would only further bolster the charges against him of attempting to influence an election result and taint the jury pool.

If he had Proof , his lawyers would be bringing it to court , but they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ye have come a long way from "LOCK HER UP!"....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You think the American Political Class wanna open up the precedent of a President - or any politician from the federal branch - going to jail? Slap the irons on Trump and while it'll undoubtedly send the right message to the rest of us, it opens up a potential can of worms. Not to mention making Trump a proper martyr at this stage.

Now, if that sounds like I'm hinting at some kind of fundamental political interference or bias in the cases in the first place, I'm not. I believe all the cases are foundationally solid; but I also note how "we" don't tend to see heads of state or politicians in the national arena, get jailed.

• Advertisement

Aka....

When a former president does unprecedented things, then unprecedented repercussions would not be unusual.

Leaders of other countries have been jailed for corruption. He's no better.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,812 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Nothing says irrefutable, conclusive and exonerating proof like your lawyers advising you not to reveal it.

That's fantastic. So it boils down to:

It happens and we find out if it's ACTUALLY new evidence/ Actual conclusive proof. Which would be interesting (but unlikely). If it's simply a repackaging of the old proven lies then he looks predictable, desperate and weak as everyone (Outside of his mouthpieces) will have had days predicting that it would simply be a repackaging of existing lies. And would be able to trot our the same old ACTUAL proof that they are lies. So it will begin and end as "As expected"

Or it doesn't happen at all and it's an embarrassing rollback which again, makes him look embarrassed and weak and desperate.

The shots now being fired smack of desperate carpet-bombing. Compared to the initial (Also vile and offensive but more focused) lies way back on Twitter.

I agree.

It would be irresponsibly reckless for the US to jail Donald Trump.

Jailing political opponents in the midst of an election campaign is something you'd see in South America or Russia (some might even say fascistic). Some quarters of the US would do well to rise above their hatred of Trump and act with some modicum of balance and maturity.

• Advertisement

Genuine question (Or is it two? Or more 😀? ) If he shot and murdered someone live on TV, would you say the same thing? If not, where is the line?

Christopher Christie is second behind Trump in the latest New Hampshire GOP primary poll haha.

New Hampshire is an interesting state because although they voted for Biden, Hillary, Obama, Kerry, and Bill Clinton they didn't do so by much. They voted for Boy Bush in 2000 but only marginally.

When it comes to the state legislature and Congress they're not shy about electing Republicans.

Not when there is substantial evidence of crimes, investigations which commenced before he announced he was running for office, trials in accordance with all laws and regulations, and guilty verdicts.

That's not jailing a political opponent like in South America or Russia. That's jailing a criminal like in America.

It doesn't matter what I believe because I'm not a US citizen.

Furthermore, I've already many times said that I don't think Donald Trump should be the Republican candidate (in the same way that I think Biden is an apocalyptic choice for the Democrats).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't disagree, except the fundamental problem that I don't believe America is functional enough to jail him. Other countries? Sure, other countries would be less corrupt and beholden to a corpo-political class as America is.

"It doesn't matter what I believe because I'm not a US citizen"

Yet you state your beliefs at every other single point.

I think we'd all be interested in your answer to the question. I'm not a US citizen either, but I think if Trump shot and killed someone he should be jailed even if running for President. I don't think you need to be a US citizen to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So anyone running for political office is exempt from the law? Is there a time limit? 18 months, 24 months? He isn't the GOP nominee, so he is not officially a political opponent of Biden at this stage

Rapid, you would do well to rise above your support of Trump and see the reality of what is in front of you. This man tried to overturn a democratic election. He was given every chance to prove his election fraud conspiracy and has completed failed to do it. Yet he continues to make the claim as if that gives he some sort of excuse.

The reason it has taken to this point to bring charges is that Trump has delayed and died at every stage. look at the messing he did with the documents. Lied about having them, lied about giving them back.

He was Bidens political opponent in 2019, then Biden beat him. He is now just a guy hoping to get the GOP nomination again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,623 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Running for office does not and should not bestow immunity. Not immunity to rape. Not immunity to engage in corrupt practices. Not immunity to conspire to subvert the legitimate running of elections - which is like something you'd see in Russia, some might even say fascistic.

That would be irresponsibly reckless, allowing a criminal to escape scot free.

Allowing someone who attempted to illegally overturn an election result escape without consequence, seems more like the hallmark of a fascist state to me.

Is a democracy not allowed to defend itself against an attempted fascist takeover?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

No, Trump left the White House and didn't intend on staying on; which is the very opposite of what actual dictators do. Second, Trump had 4 years to implement his so-called "fascist" agenda and imminent dictatorship, and did nothing of the sort.

Did Trump behave childishly and vindictively in the immediate aftermath of the election? Yes.

But ultimately even he must have known that it was all over. And so he left the White House.

That's not what I asked. Neither am I. But here we both are, offering our OPINIONS (your very statement above is a statement of opinion as a non-US citizen).

I asked "If he shot and murdered someone live on TV, would you say the same thing? If not, where is the line?" to your opinion that "It would be irresponsibly reckless for the US to jail Donald Trump.".

You are absolutely perfectly entitled to your opinion as is everyone here. And you have stated your opinion many times on this thread, as has everyone here. If this thread was only open for US citizens to post then it would have been a lot shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s only jailing political opponents if it’s Biden or the Dems doing it, what this is and I know it’s difficult for some to understand is the justice system doing what it’s meant to do.

using terms like jailing political opponents just shows the stance you have decided to take not the reality of what’s happening.

If the shoe were on the other foot, and Trump jailed Joe Biden at this stage of the election campaign; I'm almost certain you'd have a different take.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Look at you, playing the "Both Sides" card.

Who had that in todays bingo card lads?

For every single politician before the GOP collapsed at the feet of the Rapist Conman Donald Trump , Morality mattered.

It still matters to most people, other than Rapist apologist MAGA Loons.

The same would be true of Joe Biden. Even if the allegations against his family turned out to be wholly true, I don't believe it would significantly impact the electorate's decision for precisely the same reason.

No, no it wouldn't.

I can absolutely guarantee you that if Joe Biden was charged and convicted of fraud/bribery or whatever he would not win the Democratic party nomination and more likely he would be forced to stand down.

Just because you can ignore vile disgusting abhorrent behaviour as apparently can a reasonable percentage of GOP voters doesn't mean that everybody else thinks the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

But that wouldn’t be the shoe on the other foot at all. Biden isn’t jailing Trump as you well know but are busy pushing your disingenuous take on things.

Whatabout whatabout: if Biden was being charged with the volume of crimes Trump was accused of, I can't speak for others but I would 100% see him thrown in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Have you ever seen one of them come up with an original thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,623 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trump on Hilary Clinton, LOCK HER UP!!!

So according to your earlier post that is fascist behaviour. Trump is a fascist. Your argument. Your words. Your own standard applied to your own posts and candidate.

Check mate.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Absolutely agreed.

Crime is crime and if the evidence supports a charge and a Jury convicts then no decent person could or should have an issue.

This idea of "Blanket Presidential immunity" is absolute nonsense anyway.

I don't care who you are or what position you hold , if you break the law you pay the price - end of story.

But Trump didn't lock up Hillary Clinton, so your point falls flat.

More of a bird's opening than a checkmate there, @odyssey06.

• Advertisement

Hunter Biden should run for office. Then he would be immune from prosecution apparently.

(Reference is strictly made to highlight the hypocrisy of Trump fans)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement