Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hard to head a cult of personality when you dont have any personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,357 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The leader is good, the leader is great, we give up our will as of this date

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Rawr

Na-na-na-na-na Don-nie!

Na-na-na-na-na Don-nie!

Don-nie! Don-nie! BAT-MAN!

(Sorry, couldn’t help myself : D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭Rawr

Ha…”The Art of Her Deal” indeed. Live in a Florida resort and not even need to inhabit the same room as the rapist loser she married (let alone share a bedroom). Suppose there’s worse fates for possibly most useless First Lady the US has seen so far. Sure knows how to take a situation “Be Best” with it, I guess.

She likely wouldn’t mind if Donnie went to jail. More Mar-a-lago for her to enjoy without having to risk looking at that cretinous bell-end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭amandstu

"Bell-end" being an accurate description according to Stormy Daniels:-)

Pardoning Trump will “heal the country”

Just DQd himself from contention. I see Christie is picking up all the steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Christie could do well running on the outside lane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,873 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

She's the one person he hired who was actually able to do the job.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭briany

He'll be able to hoover up some votes from alienated former Republicans - the ones who believe in low taxes, small government and the good ol' USA, but have not somehow been sucked into the howling vortex of rage and capslock conspiracy theory that is Trumpism.

These people will not comprise nearly enough numbers to make it remotely realistic that Christie might challenge for the nomination, but it's enough people to profit from after the election whereby Christie sets himself up as the critical voice. He can't be so stupid or delusional as to think that he's got anything like a chance, here. It's about building that outsider platform and seeing what happens from there. The Trump sycophant space is pretty crowded and Christie got pushed out of that already. This is what's left for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If Trump for whatever reason is stopped from running, then a Tump lookalike won't cut it, Christie would have the space marked for himself. Has blighted his copybook somewhat but would probably be an acceptable POTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

There seems to be a lot of talk of pardoning Trump in the last few days. I suspect panic may be setting in.

I seem to recall there being mealy-mouthed calls for healing after the 2nd impeachment of Trump came up in the wake of Jan. 6th. Actually, maybe that was Gerald Ford after Nixon.

In any case, backing off won't work, here. The temperature is raising either way. At this stage, the only difference that jailing Trump, if convicted, would make is that it may hasten the direct confrontation with the crazies that American seems to be on a path towards. These people are not going to back down and they're not going to suddenly see reason, so I really don't know what else there is to do.

Trump, for his part, gets worse the more pressure is applied to him. He is utterly unlike anything before seen in top-level American politics.

60 Minutes ran a piece on the indictment in Georgia.

60 minutes has, to my understanding, about 4 times the viewership of Fox News.

The piece is delivered in sobering terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

I know it'll be lost on the trump supporters and even some GOP supporters, but why would a person who hasn't been convinced or even had a trial for their indictments need to be given a pardon?

Why are those saying he should be given a pardon when they are also saying that he is innocent, especially as a pardon is given for carrying out an illegal act?

I know people have been incorrectly charged and convicted of various crimes and then get exonerated because of this, but they didn't go on TV and post/tweet/truth evidence of their involvement in the crimes that they were charged with in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭amandstu

I think it could be reasonable to consider a pardon for Trump (even though he is surely one of the very least deserving of such an action)

Not sure if it is seemly to be even discussing it before the trial, though as that seems to make a mockery of justice.

The reason for granting a pardon would be that it might allow the politics to become less inflamed and the divisions in society to lessen.

I would still suggest that the "man" himself would need to show some sign of genuine remorse -otherwise ,well that is probably obvious.

The little s*** is of so little consequence on a human level that little satisfaction can be afforded from his incarceration even as it is grating that he should ,if found guilty still be allowed to keep his liberty.

The Soviets had this despicable system where political opponents were afforded show trials. Maybe Trump might be called upon to undergo yearly show trials to provide entertainment for the country that he abused (a bit like the medieval stocks he probably has in mind to restore if he ever gets back into power)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

What on earth would give you the idea Trump was working with Russia?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've only read about Trump since his departure from the White House. Lord help me I'd forgotten what a clumsy, indecipherable, unintelligent waffler and word salad merchant he was. As always one wonders how people think this guy's energy is something to admire. He makes a drunken idiot in the back of a taxi look coherent.

He also looks to have aged a fair bit. He looked quite shrunken, thinner in the face - I wonder is age beginning to win out over his crude attempts to mask it. Or simply the legal peril I'd draining him. If Biden gets this constant attack over his age and cognitive decline, then the same must be laid at the feet of Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The point raised from 3 minutes on this video reiterates the point that amanstu makes, the problem is not only his base's reaction if he does get imprisoned or whatever, its what/who they will follow when he is out of the picture. Its a big, rotten core in the country.

One option might be to offer him a deal to avoid prison, after his trial, if he makes an approved announcement admitting to what he did, then retires from public life, no social media, no announcements, no rallies. Call it Probation. It would stop him inflaming his followers, but make him less of a martyr. Of course, if he is found guilty of anything with a mandatory prison sentence then that creates a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Economics101

Amandstu: "I would still suggest that the "man" himself would need to show some sign of genuine remorse -otherwise ,well that is probably obvious."

Trump,, genuine remorse? Pigs will fly first.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,773 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"The point raised from 3 minutes on this video reiterates the point that amanstu makes, the problem is not only his base's reaction if he does get imprisoned or whatever, its what/who they will follow when he is out of the picture. "

Cannot get onboard with this idea. The logic appears to be that if someone has followers who can be violent, they should get better treatment?

So if Biden did the same thing, because his followers *aren't* violent, he would be jailed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's not what was being said, the point was that after Trump there will still be a large number of impressionable people looking for a cult leader and what they find may be an even worse option than Trump.

He should not be 'let off' but pragmatically the logistics of incarcerating an ex-President are huge (and would apply to any other President), before you even get to the martyr status it would give him. Removing him from the public eye would take his lifeblood. There would have to be legal provision for some aspects of this, but if the Republicans understood they were choosing between him wearing an orange jumpsuit and just fading from public awareness, I think they might be willing to defuse the situation.

Ideally, yes, he should be just put behind bars, but pragmatically it would have to be some sort of house arrest with no public contact.

There is no comparison between him and any other president committing offences, there has never been a president of the US who has been so vocal, so willing to lie and so determined to do any amount of damage to the country in order to get his own way. Its arguable that his sanity is in question, though I think he would be found fit to stand trial.

He absolutely should not be pardoned at any stage of the proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Economics101

Yeah: clear out the existing prisoners from Guantanamo and put TFG there instead. Problem (or 2 problems?)solved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭McFly85

Pardoning Trump will do more damage than throwing him in jail.

He will be straight onto SM saying that the prosecution knew they had no case from day 1 and begged Trump to go through with the trial, that it was just a vindictive judge and jury, but everyone really knew he was innocent.

So aside from calling into question the entire justice system, it also sets a precedent for the level of criminality a president can expect to get away with. If you can try and overturn an election without any real consequences you can bet the GOP will try that again.

Being preferential to him does not allow the country to heal, it will further its divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So, even the other GOP candidates think trump is too pathetic to defend.

DeSantis:

Trump isn’t here, so let’s just leave him alone. He’s too weak to defend himself here.

Any thoughts from the trumpeters?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,815 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"The reason for granting a pardon would be that it might allow the politics to become less inflamed and the divisions in society to lessen."

I'm kind of curious about this, because it seems to be the avenue a lot of the GOP or Trump supporters are going with (not saying you are one, just using your post as a jumping-off point).

Nixon was forced to resign and Ford pardoned him. Nixon admitted fault and apologised. Ford often justified his pardoning of Nixon by pointing out that accepting the pardon means accepting and acknowledging guilt. Regardless, Nixon being pardoned was the end of his political career, there would never be a way back for him. It can be argued that he escaped justice due to the pardon, but either way he faced significant consequences for his actions.

That's not what's happening with Trump. He's actively seeking to be President again, admits to no wrongdoing on his own part, and dropping the charges or pardoning him won't end things, it'll allow them to continue. Politics won't become less inflamed, because it would be removing the "Find Out" part of "F*ck Around And Find Out". It would embolden future politicians to do the same because, as Trump keeps pointing out that what's happening to him is unprecedented, pardoning or dropping the cases against him becomes precedent.

Does anyone actually believe his supporters would see Trump being pardoned, say "Ah fair play, maybe we need to calm things down a bit going forward"? F*ck no.

Politics has become so inflamed in the last 10 years partly because of Trump. He does nothing but pour petrol on the fire, and continues to do so. There will never be contrition from him, never an acknowledgement of wrongdoing, never even a thanks to whoever pardons him. He'll continue to pour that petrol.

He needs to be removed from being near the fire. There needs to be consequences for his actions. His supporters will remain inflamed, but better to be trying to keep a dying flame alight than the wildfire Trump getting back into power or being given a free pardon could cause.

• Advertisement

@amandstu

The reason for granting a pardon would be that it might allow the politics to become less inflamed and the divisions in society to lessen.

I would still suggest that the "man" himself would need to show some sign of genuine remorse -otherwise ,well that is probably obvious.

He's never going to show genuine remorse. He may, however, attempt to distance himself from his actions for a brief time in order to wriggle out of any legal culpability, but the moment he senses the heat has passed and that those actions are actually quite popular with his supporters, he'll be bragging about them on Truth Social.

This isn't even hypothetical - he already has form. He went from condemning the people who broke into the capitol in that Jan 7th address, all the way around to saying Ashley Babbitt was a hero and that he'd pardon those involved.

He doesn't care. If pardoned, he will 100 percent use his freedom to continue wreaking havoc. As I said before, the only difference between pardoning him and not pardoning him (if convicted) would be that not pardoning him may bring things to a boil a bit quicker, but things seem to be heading inevitably in that direction anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement