Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I still can't quite get over how this was not it for him:

He showed his true colours and his supporters just cheered like braying hyenas.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 19,775 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hahaha - it's a GOOD THING to be criminally indicted 😂😂

You think that's gonna win over the independents?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No poll indicates this; and do you think Trumps legal problems will entice independent voters, who also have 4 years of Trump Presidency to asses even before the small issue of his electoral corruption comes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

See I don't think the Independents are going to be a vocal over all. I think there is a good chance that many won't turn up for the vote as they dislike both candidates. And I think that's the only way DT can beat JB. (super low independent turnout)

If he make president, he can pardon himself federally right? (But not at a state level)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

xyz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭valoren

The Keystone Konspirators.

As I mentioned above, I think he hoping the independent voters wont show up (I think that's the only way he will win). America does a historically low voter turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,816 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm sure he's loving still being ahead in the polls for the GOP nomination, but there's no way he's loving all the criminal charges he's up against, because there's no way he can "Free speech! First Amendment! I can declassify things with my mind!" his way out of all of them.

He lost to Biden in 2020, and while Biden hasn't exactly been a world-changing superstar President, he also hasn't done enough wrong to have lost any voters. Meanwhile, Trump hasn't done anything to gain new voters (all those supporting him or taking his side regarding the indictments etc were already on his side anyway), and has more than likely lost the chance at gaining independents, because even the more moderate voters would have to accept that Trump is likely guilty of at least some of the charges.

Trump may be loving the attention in general and his poll numbers, but behind the scenes it's almost guaranteed he's sh*tting himself about the indictments.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,978 ✭✭✭✭briany

I doubt Trump is close to 300 pounds, like some were speculating. Being that kind of weight at his age would be potentially disabling, with the stress it would place on his back, hips and knees, as well as maybe life threatening, as the fat gets in and around the internal organs. Trump, for whatever else we can say about him, doesn't look to have much trouble in terms of being ambulatory or having energy.

I might catch flack for saying I don't think Trump looks *that* fat, but maybe I'm just unable to see past his mad hair and fake tan. To me, he looks more like he's broad with a typical old man body that will maximise the unflattering aspect of any bit of excess weight he is carrying, what with all the loose skin.

Maybe about 25 pounds heavier than he's claiming, if that was indeed a self-declaration of weight.

You don't think Trump is a polarising figure?

You think Biden is less likeable?

You think average voters would rather 4 more years of Trump?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Yup!

There's a reason why he wants to delay the trials. It's because there's a lot more not publicly known that will show him to be as bad as he really is

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a long shot because the reality is, Trump is a known quantity of chaos - and now there's legal proof he tried to steal the election. Independents might have stayed at home if the choices were two flavours of establishment porridge, but the GOP candidate is gonna be Trump. A lot of Americans will vote Biden just to keep a traitor and autocrat-in-waiting from getting the job.

Yes! (But America is completely polarised)

No, Biden is more likeable but he's not a "rally the voters" kind of person at all, he just doesn't seem to have that energy

I don't know, it will depend on how the campaigning goes I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

but he's to frail for job like POTUS

If only he was "215" pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Merch is humming 2 grand today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not a rally the voters type guy? Now if we only had some kind of method of counting a candidates ability to rally voters that was held on let's say a national forum. Wouldn't that be a good way of measuring it?

But. Biden already did rally voters: in 2020, during a pandemic too when there was a not-unreasonable excuse for (independent) voters to stay at home. 2024 will now have the added incentive that the guy running against Biden is a criminal who tried to steal the election.

I know there's a tendancy to go "gee, how useless is Biden?" and yeah. He's useless and possibly too old. and if the GOP ran anyone vaguely centrist 2024 would be an open goal for the Republicans. But Biden's best asset right now is that he's not a wannabe despot.

You could be right actually, voter turn out 2020 was the highest its ever been since 1960 and DT was solidly beaten.

The independents defo wanted him out. I suppose the question is do they still want him out as much, having had a JB presidency. (I would say mostly yes)

I still think one of the reasons DT won 2016 was because HC was so hated. I don't think anyone hates JB as much as they hate HC (How could you? he's nice man).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,816 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's some truth in that, definitely. The obvious counter-argument to that would be the number of votes he got in 2020, but that really brings forth one of Trump's biggest issues; for as much as Trump is a "rally the voters" kind of person for his base, he's also a "rally the voters" kind of person for Biden, because people will mobilise and push the vote for Biden as much as possible to ensure Trump loses as much as wanting Biden to win.

Kind of similar to 2016. Part of why Trump won was because of Hillary. People absolutely hated Hillary, and she couldn't rally her own voters or independents enough, but a lot of people either voted for Trump or didn't vote at all because they were anti-Hillary.

Trump was on the other foot in 2020, where people voted even if they didn't like Biden just to get Trump out. Nothing in that regard has changed enough this time around, and if anything it's likely to be even more skewed against Trump this time because a) he was f*cking around with classified national security documents, b) his role in Jan 6th and trying to have the election overturned, and c) the odds of him getting into power and abusing the Justice system to overturn or prevent legal consequences (whether he's been found guilty of them pre-election or not).

Biden doesn't actually have to do much to rally the voters other than just not f*ck up in the next 15 months. Besides that, rallying the voters will be more of an anti-Trump thing than a pro-Biden thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭Cody montana

6 million more of Gen z are illegible to vote now.

Not to mention the GOP attacks on women’s rights and the gay community.

These people are pissed and ready to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,543 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

All Biden needs to do it stay alive, say as little as possible and he will defeat Trump.

Trump may well be rallying his core, but his core won't win an election.

You think Trumps legal issues will really make a swing voter who voted Biden last time, now change their mind and swing the other way and Vote for Trump? No chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

That feckin writers strike is robbing me of some great viewing these nights. Real time with bill Maher would have been brilliant tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Ez money!

Imagine how many millions of dollars will be raised by the TDS coverage.

Amazing!

Very cool Don!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think Democrats more so than Republicans need to be persuaded to vote- especially the ethnic minority voters- that takes energy, engagement, clear speaking and indeed effort in ensuring they’re registered etc

I just don’t see those qualities in Biden- Democrats staying away from the polling booth is what will likely swing this election to the Republicans.

I wonder though will a decision be made on Biden in the coming months- will he himself say he’s not running ? If he does run, given his age and apparent frailty, his running mate, whoever they are, will be the most significant running mate of any presidential candidate in decades because there’s every possibility they will be the next President of the United States if Biden doesn’t survive the full term- that’s going to be a complex decision for people to make- they might like Biden but not the running mate- what do voters do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he gave his weight as 215lb. earlier in the year it was apparently 240lb. all self reported. at 240lb he was the same weight i was at my heaviest. i'm pretty much the same height as him. he is a lot heavier than i ever was. a lot. maybe not 300lb but certainly 270 to 280.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I recommend the book 'the Authoritarians' by Robert Altemyer. It was written way before Trump got elected but explains the personality traits of the Trump supporters very well

• Advertisement

The problem is, nobody's waiting in the wings yet to take the baton from Biden; Harris isn't popular at all, so would be a terrible candidate to take over. Even if Biden was 5 years younger this wouldn't be a problem. I think the age thing is exaggerated, but it does count against him. And TBH it's a broad problem in American politics anyway: Grassley, Feinstein, McConnell, Pelosi, half the bench in the Supreme Court to name a few; the list goes on. America is a bit of a gerontocracy, and lifetime appointments the big problem in all that. Funny how respectful the narrative has been for Mitch McConnell's actual stroke or "sun downing" moment live on TV - yet still people will witter on about Biden's supposed cognitive decline.

But again. I think it's too easy to dismiss just how unpopular, and hated Trump is. Now with the added incentive that courts of law are proving the guy had a hand in trying to steal the 2020 election. It might be half-myth but Americans really hold their institutions in high regard, and Trump basically tried to do the one thing this myth likes to persist with: that America is a beacon of democracy, that above all else it runs by the rule of law. Donald Trump tried to make himself President for Life - and that's before you get into the weeds of the actual things he did as President.

I don't think independent voters are gonna stay at home to let this guy back in; and if you're a PoC, or on the LGBT+ spectrum, or just a young man or woman vaguely liberal-leaning (which would be many), then if you don't hold your nose for Biden the alternative is the lunatics running the asylum.

The first time around, 2016 still had some cool heads and sober figures trying to make sense of Trump's "Unique" brand of leadership. All that's left now are the wingnuts and actual, dangerous conservative lunatics who had stayed by Trump's side throughout. Trump 2024 would see even more extreme swings in the legislative branch, even more lurches into autocracy at the state level. For instance, there's insinuations that having nuked Roe/Wade, the SC would go after same-sex marriage next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement