Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cant believe it took him almost an hour to get to the RIGGED ELECTION but at least he has now ticked that box off icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

politics can be fun if you can make up your own facts,

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

duploelabs wrote: »
    One post already: Feelings hurt 1 policies mentioned 0

Sorry, not sure what you mean there. I hope you don't consider my post a 'feelings hurt' post or something, I'm not here as a Trump fan. I was just curious about the meaning of another posters post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Wonder will he mention Cuomo?

He has again been accused

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Wonder will he Cuomo?

He has again been accused

Can you answer about the stage design?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

He is talking some amount of rubbish but he has great energy and enthusiasm.

Looks to have lost a decent amount of weight but the orange is laid on heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Given that the party supposed leadership (McConnell, Graham) blamed him for inciting an insurrection at the capitol less than 2 months ago in which 5 people died and the members of congress had to halt constitutional proceedings, those figures are embarrassingly high.

Where is their 'Law and Order' now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I think I might have missed him bombasting the past 6 weeks!
    He's funny as fck.
    Nick Abbot (LBC) who detests him but also admits he misses him for the comedy effect will be going through the highlights at about half 12. Even if the Trumpet is still speaking, which is very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭briany

So, purge the party of those who dared cross Trump...

And this coming from the same man who called CNN and MSNBC the enemy of the people.

And now he's talking on a stage that just so happens to be the same shape as a symbol used in Nazism?

Are there still those people who'd call hyperbole on the use of the word 'fascist' for all this? There's absolutely no equivocation for what's happening, here.

At least we know what Trump's about so there ought to be little complacency among his political opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I think I might have missed him bombasting the past 6 weeks!
    He's funny as fck.
    Nick Abbot (LBC) who detests him but also admits he misses him for the comedy effect will be going through the highlights at about half 12. Even if the Trumpet is still speaking, which is very likely.

Referring to him as "funny" or "entertaining" is what got america into this mess in the first place.

Giving him a pass or attention on that basis meant that the sinister stuff went unchecked.

Politics isn't supposed to be entertaining. There's a reason why populist politics is the absolute worst.

Anyway, this is an interesting piece...

https://www.justsecurity.org/75032/litigation-tracker-pending-criminal-and-civil-cases-against-donald-trump/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,458 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

everlast75 wrote:
    Politics isn't supposed to be entertaining. There's a reason why populist politics is the absolute worst.

Ah shur as long as the entertained are so, fcuk those that are getting fcuked!

I know you're not a Trump fan so I'm not what you mean? You think MSNBC/CNN are making a mistake in some way by not showing it? If so I probably agree since like him or loathe him it probably is news worthy.

Sorry - mistake made. Post deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭francois

Tediously replaying his "greatest" hits, in it for the crowd's adoration. I do hope he runs again, he will put the final nail into the Republican coffin

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

The influence of Trump in the Republican party will live on for some time to come. The only way to combat this is by major electoral reversals for the Republicans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

everlast75 wrote: »
    Referring to him as "funny" or "entertaining" is what got america into this mess in the first place.

Giving him a pass or attention on that basis meant that the sinister stuff went unchecked.

Anyway, this is an interesting piece...

https://www.justsecurity.org/75032/litigation-tracker-pending-criminal-and-civil-cases-against-donald-trump/

Pull your big girl/boy pants up.
    I don't give two shiney fecks about American presidents - bar the awful non-choices the working class have in that hellhole.
    PS If you think he was elected to begin with because 'he's funny or entertaining' you (if you're American) haven't learned a thing.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Pull your big girl/boy pants up.
    I don't give two shiney fecks about American presidents - bar the awful non-choices the working class have in that hellhole.
    PS If you think he was elected to begin with because 'he's funny or entertaining' you (if you're American) haven't learned a thing.

Seems like someone has them on too tight.

One of the contributors to him being elected was the free coverage he was given by various media companies. And that was because he gave them ratings. Because people found him bombastic. And yes, entertaining. Literally millions of dollars of free advertising.

If you don't think that contributes to one's political success, then you have no clue.

It was not the sole reason, but it was a factor.

In addition, his politics was basically attacking the disenfranchised, foreigners, poor people, ethnic minorities - like I said, populist nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/erinschaff/status/1366169491479146496?s=19

The narcissist has his aides carry a mirror around so he can check out his orange face. Imagine being impressed by this guy. Wonder does he practice his "speeches" in front of the mirror too like Adolf did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

https://twitter.com/erinschaff/status/1366169491479146496?s=19

The narcissist has his aides carry a mirror around so he can check out his orange face. Imagine being impressed by this guy. Wonder does he practice his "speeches" in front of the mirror too like Adolf did.

imagine looking in the mirror and thinking "yeah, that looks good"

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭8mv

everlast75 wrote: »
    Seems like someone has them on too tight.

One of the contributors to him being elected was the free coverage he was given by various media companies. And that was because he gave them ratings. Because people found him bombastic. And yes, entertaining. Literally millions of dollars of free advertising.

If you don't think that contributes to one's political success, then you have no clue.

It was not the sole reason, but it was a factor.

In addition, his politics was basically attacking the disenfranchised, foreigners, poor people, ethnic minorities - like I said, populist nonsense.

I was recently listening to an old RTE documentary about Joseph McCarthy and it was striking the similarity in the MOs for McCarthy and Trump. The broad accusations made without any evidence whatsoever, doubling down on a lie when caught out, the total ignorance of or deliberate misinterpretation of history, the childish nicknames, threatening and demonising perceived opponents within his own party if they criticised him and, most especially, how the media of the day gave him so much oxygen because his accusations and behaviour were so outrageous. I wonder did the Trump team study the McCarthy era? The documentary was from the 1980's I think, but substitute Trump for McCarthy and you could be listening to a doc from recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I was expecting the inevitable gold statue to be bigger and less like the Monopoly man.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,442 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was expecting the inevitable gold statue to be bigger and less like the Monopoly man.

yours for only 100K. Oddly enough it was made by the guy who claimed to be IT expert in some of the election cases that trump lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

bocaman wrote: »
    The influence of Trump in the Republican party will live on for some time to come. The only way to combat this is by major electoral reversals for the Republicans.

Yeah but electoral reversals for the Republicans are unlikely to happen, its more likely they will flip the Senate and maybe the House in elections next year and the Trump wing will be claiming it as their victory and as an endorsement for his 2024 campaign. They only need to win one seat in the Senate and then Mitch can spend the next two years leading up to the 2024 election frustrating the Biden administrations legislative agenda in the Senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

I have a question, which genuinely worries me. On the Daily Mail, pre-election, the top comments were fairly scathing re: Trump. Now, the top comments are adoring him and bemoaning the democrats. This worries me, as I wonder has the average vote forgiven him and now want him back? What is the reality on the ground?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah but electoral reversals for the Republicans are unlikely to happen, its more likely they will flip the Senate and maybe the House in elections next year and the Trump wing will be claiming it as their victory and as an endorsement for his 2024 campaign. They only need to win one seat in the Senate and then Mitch can spend the next two years leading up to the 2024 election frustrating the Biden administrations legislative agenda in the Senate.

The Trump wing will think what it wants, but in reality it's a more complicated picture. I seem to recall that McConnell's messaging before the last US general election was that candidates should distance themselves from Trump where necessary. So, retaking either chamber wouldn't automatically be the ringing endorsement of Trumpism that supporters would inevitably claim. You'd have to look at what platform each candidate was running on before that could become clear.

8mv wrote: »
    I was recently listening to an old RTE documentary about Joseph McCarthy and it was striking the similarity in the MOs for McCarthy and Trump. The broad accusations made without any evidence whatsoever, doubling down on a lie when caught out, the total ignorance of or deliberate misinterpretation of history, the childish nicknames, threatening and demonising perceived opponents within his own party if they criticised him and, most especially, how the media of the day gave him so much oxygen because his accusations and behaviour were so outrageous. I wonder did the Trump team study the McCarthy era? The documentary was from the 1980's I think, but substitute Trump for McCarthy and you could be listening to a doc from recent years.

Trump was mentored by one of the top McCarthyist lawyers, Roy Cohn, so it perhaps is not surprising that Trump's tactics are similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

trump is done, if he was going to run in 2024, he would have said so, it's just a long slide into obscurity from here on out.

The only question is how much will he damage the GOP in the process.

This president is no more! He has ceased to be!

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    trump is done, if he was going to run in 2024, he would have said so, it's just a long slide into obscurity from here on out.

The only question is how much will he damage the GOP in the process.

This president is no more! He has ceased to be!

Eh, he has most of the party behind him. He was the star speaker at that conference. How does this add up to Trump being done?

Everybody slides into obscurity on a long enough time scale, so how long would it take Trump? 2 years? 20? 200? 2000?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement