Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Disturbing stuff:

They clearly don't believe in democracy or the constitution. It has no place in a democracy.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

LOL -

Megyn - asks a straightforward question.

Trump - *brain fart*

Trump - Plays accordion with his hands for a bit.. "These are democrat fascists..."

An utter joke of a man. Anyone can see it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For context: Romney is retiring so all this sudden garrulous nature is entirely down to knowing there's no longer any blow back. Like John McCain, Romney was a lone voice of sobriety when it suited him.

But yes, the GOP in its modern variant views the Constitution as it does the Bible: a useful tool to wave around when it suits, and one to ensnare the more dogmatic cohorts of its base - but fundamentally the party takes actions that contradict or spit in the face of both documents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh, sure. He's only slightly better than the MAGA crowd. I still remember his appalling rape comments for one.

This is the GOP in 2023, where Romney and McCain are saints by comparison to the rest of the party.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yup - Like Jeff Flake before him.

Keep quiet until it can no longer hurt him and then speaks up.

Although in fairness to Romney he did vote to impeach him but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

To be fair, Romney called out Trump from way back and was one of the few Senators who voted to convict him at his impeachment trial.

He's of the John McCain mould, he was responsible for the introduction of a state-wide healthcare program for Massachusetts which was the template for Obamacare.

I'm fundamentally not a Republican, but have a lot of respect for some who are. When I lived in the US, it was in a blue state with a Republican governor, and I had no issue with how he performed, or what most of his policies were. No surprising, he didn't get on with Trump either.

Trump has taken the worst of the party and expanded it massively in crassness, bitterness and selfishness. We all laughed at Sarah Palin in 08 (who McCain picked and later regretted apparently), she is a moderate by todays standards, both in policy and behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

Would it be a good play for the next interviewer to ask him with a straight face "About your visit to Fulson Prison ,many people have been asking me if you posed for that picture or was it your natural look?"

Would Trump know if he was being piss taken or being flattered?

I'm fine with people being republican. One of my favourite Youtubes is a massive Trumpanzee who apparently thinks the West Coast isn't really American.

It's the ocean of disingenuous drivel I take issue with. The pretending to care about racism and homophobia that as pathetic as it is deceitful. I just wish people would be honest instead of hiding behind these transparent masks.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

BREAKING: Married South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem has been having a years-long affair with married Trump advisor Corey Lewandowski.

The governor has frequently touted "traditional marriage" and her "family values."

Her chances of being trumps vice presidential nominee have gone up?

Didn't he have a fling with Hope Hicks?

Trump told him he was boxing well above himself iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Shirley, not another virtue signaling hypocrite? No, she’s a victim of gay marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,456 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hunters gun form and Cornels tax evasion and a phony impeachment in exchange for stealing classified docs, RICO, and coup.

Yeah I think we will pass.

It's weird reading that sort of stuff as a European. Like, why would I want to see any politician or their relative escape justice? Partisanship must be a heck of a drug.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

TFG up to his usual obstructionist tricks in the NY Fraud case:

I love the last few lines of this report:

Mr Trump holds a dominant lead in the 2024 race for the Republican presidential nomination.

He has denied wrongdoing and called Ms James' case part of a Democratic "witch hunt."

In January, Justice Engoron said the "witch hunt" argument did not justify a dismissal and said some defence arguments were "borderline frivolous even the first-time defendants made them."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Just in from CNN: in the sealed matter between the DOJ and Twitter, Twitter ended up handing over 32 responsive direct messages from his Twitter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Donald trump from his interview with Megyn Kelly is trotting out the line that he was entitled to keep the documents he took and that they were his to keep. The reality is no he isn’t and wasn’t and if he’d complied with the subpoena he wouldn’t have had had the FBI in his home.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Advertisement

"Above the law" comes to mind.

"Entitled" too.

And "cornered".

Romneys texts and new bio reportedly show that the GOP were too terrified of their violent base to impeach Trump after January 6, something which would have immediately put to bed any chance of him holding office again:

Theatergoer Describes ‘Outrageous’ Lauren Boebert ‘Beetlejuice’ Encounter

Check out the new footage. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It has its flaws but without the written Constitution there'd be one less bulwark against the likes of Trump to rewrite rules as convenient.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Drag shows are the problem apparently.

She’s about to be a grandmother btw.

I almost agree. It's a document that's unfit for purpose as we know. However, what and who would replace it? When you look at how the system's been corrupted so thoroughly with the constitution in place, it's hard to argue for removing what little protection it provides. It's a non-starter given the cult like reverence held by many over there for the document and the slave owners who created it.

H. H. Asquith

See Article V

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont think constitution changes should be 51-49 decisions.

I think there should be a higher bar.

The US has a mechanism for changing it, but they have perhaps set that bar too high.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

You could have a 51-49 bar for putting it to a vote with a higher bar for passing it.

Could apply here too so that important decisions have a built in shelf life and genuine support at the outset.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement