Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Do you know how many votes it took to lose the election?

Different subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Different subject.

Again since you dodged the question the first time, do you think Trump spouting the lie that the election is stolen motivates the nut jobs? Agree or disagree

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Do you know how many votes it took to lose the election?
    Different subject.

No.. No it's not.

Trumps refusal to disavow groups like QANON during the recent Election was directly because he didn't care who or what they were , they were planning to vote for him and regardless of what they believed , said or did he was utterly unwilling to say or do anything to risk that vote.

It's speaks to his lack of moral authority or even policy position - All he cared about was the potential votes.

And that refusal to disavow them , up to and including when they stormed the Capitol , makes him complicit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Different subject.

Not really, if you want to actually talk about things in an honest way..

The idea that he had 70 million votes is a mute point why, because of the bull**** electoral college.. a swing of the last figure I seen was less then 100 thousand votes and donnie would be a 2 term POTUS.

If you're going to lose an election by that margin, you're going to pander to the devil/god the sun and the moon to gain every vote you can. Donnie knew the slim margins he needed and he fought for each and everyone of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭scuba8

But he didn't say anything about this march 4th related conspiracy theory.
    Didn't mention it at all. If people want to buy into some fruit loop theory that's their business and nothing to do with Trump.

You've said yourselves that he has never mentioned such thing related specifically to the theory

It should be noted that trump didn’t deny he would be declared on 4th March. His hotel in DC is certainly taking advantage of this theory by raising their room rates by 100% for the 4th of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump has openly said that the election was stolen. He says it all the time that he didn't lose the election. He's also claimed that he won the popular vote in 2016.

Forget about whether he approves of QAnon or was pleased about the Capitol riots for a minute because what he's been maintaining about the election is objectively bad enough. Not only is he perpetrating a huge whopper of a lie that could destabilise US democracy by undermining the trust in its processes, with no credible evidence to back him up, but he doesn't even care. He'll double down and then triple down on it. Facts absolutely do not matter on this or anything else he's claiming. Facts are coincidental. He'll bring them up if they're on his side, but if they're not, it's really only a minor inconvenience, such is the indoctrination.

That's the difference between Trump and all the other politicians who 'also lie'. Traditionally, lying politicians who are objectively caught out will accept the facts as presented and at least shut up for a while, if not retire from politics altogether. Not Trump and his followers. They've successfully created an alternate bubble of reality where all that comes out of Trump's mouth is, if not good, then at least forgivable.

America needs a big de-Trumpification, to purge this radicalism out of the country, and by extension help halt its spread to rest of the western world, but I don't think it will be achieved by 4 years of brow-beating and typical centrist politics. This is a big part of why Trump was elected in the first place - he spoke to many who felt forgotten. You find a way of getting those people on board and you can gradually lower the temperature. Easier said than done...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

scuba8 wrote: »
    It should be noted that trump didn’t deny he would be declared on 4th March. His hotel in DC is certainly taking advantage of this theory by raising their room rates by 100% for the 4th of March.

Nah, the hotel rates are going up to keep the riff raff away. Trump wants these people flying his flag, fighting his fight, but he sure as hell doesn't want pictures of them in the lobby of his hotel.

His brand has enough trouble without such pictures along with the inevitable bat sh*t quotes that such people would be spouting appearing in the media. There'd be just too many home truths in that to brush it off as fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭scuba8

Surely trump would be delighted to have the people he loves, the real patriots, come stay in his hotel.

70 million odd people voted for Trump. To think that he has to pander to conspiracy theorists for support shows a deep misunderstanding of the level of support he has.

Except he himself is pushing the conspiracy theory of voter fraud changing the outcome of the election. Not based on facts or anything. On top of that he has a history of pushing conspiracy theories. Have you forgotten how he claimed Obama was Kenyan? He even pushed this during his election... So he does more than pandering to conspiracy theorists, he is one.

Also worth noting how his DC hotel raised their prices for the date of him supposedly taking back power. So they're very much so taking advantage of the QAnon types.

scuba8 wrote: »

That was a good reply in fairness to you. It's a fair point
    He should be out putting that conspiracy to bed. If trouble happens on March 4th he will hold some responsibility for not addressing it. Dont want a repeat of scenes seen the the Capitol riot

Obviously he has no social media access anymore though. The Republican pac thing wouldn't have been the place to talk about it either. Don jr should write it on social media on his behalf

• Advertisement

Not really, if you want to actually talk about things in an honest way..

The idea that he had 70 million votes is a mute point why, because of the bull**** electoral college.. a swing of the last figure I seen was less then 100 thousand votes and donnie would be a 2 term POTUS.

If you're going to lose an election by that margin, you're going to pander to the devil/god the sun and the moon to gain every vote you can. Donnie knew the slim margins he needed and he fought for each and everyone of them.

I'm saying its different subject because he got 70 million votes. He has that much support that he doesn't need to pander to a tiny vocal minority of loons. It's not the Democrats we are talking about where it's a box ticking token exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,641 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm saying its different subject because he got 70 million votes. He has that much support that he doesn't need to pander to a tiny vocal minority of loons. It's not the Democrats we are talking about where it's a box ticking token exercise.

And yet he did. Why do you think he did that? Why did he refuse to call out these far right-wing groups?

If not for the electoral advantage then why? Is it perhaps because he actually agrees with them?

Do you have another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He does need to pander to vocal minority loons, because despite 70 million+ votes, that was about 8 million fewer than Biden got. Trump needed to pander to every single voter he possibly could regardless of how loony they were.

Even during the Capitol riot, perpetrated by said loons...

"We love you, you're very special" - Donald Trump

Of course he does, who else will intimidate the voters by standing armed with assault rifles at polling stations?

Penn wrote: »
    He does need to pander to vocal minority loons, because despite 70 million+ votes, that was about 8 million fewer than Biden got. Trump needed to pander to every single voter he possibly could regardless of how loony they were.

'Stand back and stand by'

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And yet he did. Why do you think he did that? Why did he refuse to call out these right wing groups?

If not for the electoral advantage then why? Is it perhaps because he actually agrees with them?

Do you have another reason?

Far right groups you mean surely?

Yes, amended.

Yes, amended.

I was a little peeved. I'm seeing more and more people using right wing instead of far right when they are talking about extremism, racism etc.

Getting a little bit much.

Edit : both now gone .

Given how the Republican party have handled the aftermath of the Capitol Insurrection, it's fair to refer to a substantial portion of their elected Representatives as far right..

I was a little peeved. I'm seeing more and more people using right wing instead of far right when they are talking about extremism, racism etc.

Thoughts and prayers

Those people are on your side, own it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Penn wrote: »

The republicans would already have those votes by being the more right leaning party.

Besides, if you think pandering to the far right will gain you some votes it stands to reason that it will also lose you some votes from the more center-right people.

Rejoins, she's previously in a position there

Edit : both now gone .

Now care to answers the points I was making?

Also, clearly the GOP, which are right wing, are moving further and further towards the far right so it is harder to differentiate between the two. But that is another topic

duploelabs wrote: »
    Rejoins, she's previously in a position there

I didn't know that. I have no way of watching fox news so was unaware. I used to watch Rt. Abbey Martin was very good. Has some great segments about the United states. That was a long time ago though.

I didn't know that. I have no way of watching fox news so was unaware. I used to watch Rt. Abbey Martin was very good. Has some great segments about the United states. That was a long time ago though.

Just goes to show how misinformed you are about American politics

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

duploelabs wrote: »
    Just goes to show how misinformed you are about American politics

The people relying on cable news are the truly misinformed.

Now care to answers the points I was making?

Also, clearly the GOP, which are right wing, are moving further and further towards the far right so it is harder to differentiate between the two. But that is another topic

It's not really. Their actions since the 6th, first reprimanding Trump publicly, but then all coming back on side is showing that him and all elements who he appeals to are ok with them.

McConnell, McCarthy, Graham, Halley have all come back on side after initially making comments holding him responsible for the events of the 6th. You can't run with the wolves and hunt with the hounds.

Trump closing out the conference and announcing he will not be starting a political party has shown that he still feels comfortable within it. This all means that he has probably promised he will be avourable to the above while, as he said, going after those within the party who stood against him.

All this while the GOP supported MJG, and censured senators and representatives at the state level who voted that he was responsible for the 6th.

There's probably a quid pro quo of sorts going on, he'll keep the 74M onside with the Republican party, they'll try to get people in place politically to influence investigations going on in to his businesses etc. Or maybe they already think he has a shot in 2024 and are going to back him then just so as to gain control once again.

Mike Pence must feel very alone right now but given his role and behavior for 4 years, I don't have much sympathy for him.
    I'm not overly confident of the Democrat ability to meet this next challenge appropriately given they will probably try to appeal to peoples moral side to vote against Republicans and meanwhile, republicans are rolling out voter restriction bills to fix the game once again.

It's not really. Their actions since the 6th, first reprimanding Trump publicly, but then all coming back on side is showing that him and all elements who he appeals to are ok with them.

McConnell, McCarthy, Graham, Halley have all come back on side after initially making comments holding him responsible for the events of the 6th. You can't run with the wolves and hunt with the hounds.

Trump closing out the conference and announcing he will not be starting a political party has shown that he still feels comfortable within it. This all means that he has probably promised he will be avourable to the above while, as he said, going after those within the party who stood against him.

All this while the GOP supported MJG, and censured senators and representatives at the state level who voted that he was responsible for the 6th.

There's probably a quid pro quo of sorts going on, he'll keep the 74M onside with the Republican party, they'll try to get people in place politically to influence investigations going on in to his businesses etc. Or maybe they already think he has a shot in 2024 and are going to back him then just so as to gain control once again.

Mike Pence must feel very alone right now but given his role and behavior for 4 years, I don't have much sympathy for him.
    I'm not overly confident of the Democrat ability to meet this next challenge appropriately given they will probably try to appeal to peoples moral side to vote against Republicans and meanwhile, republicans are rolling out voter restriction bills to fix the game once again.

Many people say that only for the pandemic Trump would have won. I dont believe that to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

I get it, fingers in the ears... Blah blah blah you cant convince me that I'm wrong.. it's were this whole sh!t show falls down, a little heads up, you and the rest of the gang are usually on the wrong of the factual stuff.

70 million votes got, the other guy got 80 million votes.. 10 million in the difference..

Yet what really separated the 2 of them was in and around the 100 thousand mark.. Do you understand this, I know you do, just come to the table and be open and honest with points being put forward, instead of the silliness of sticking fingers in the ears and getting bogged down in nonsense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement