Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Both polls can be dismissed, as it’s over a year out from an election.

You're welcome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're not. One is a good president, the other was one of the worst in history who was twice impeached, convicted of fraud and is a rapist.

Stop pretending they're the same.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I haven't seen anyone on the Biden side posting polls cause it's over a year away. At this point, it's like polling from Mystic Meg. And any pollsters would be saying same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,370 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So the fact that both are too old has more to do with the 'laughing stock' that is America than a president who has been laughed at at the UN? You are more interested in their ages than the criminality that Trump has been accused of? There are vanishingly few people outside America who would like to see Trump as president again, and most of them are contrarians.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If you think that there's such a thing as a Democrat who'll magically walk over Trump, in these partisan times and with the Cult of Personality still this strong, then I got a bridge to sell you.

And as mentioned, a year out from the election, polls mean nothing; especially those shown to have shaky data. His approval figures are more instructive here, but even a net disapproval can't tell the whole picture versus going up against Donald Trump. The plurality of Americans didn't like Trump before everything that has happened since - Biden's cognitive ability is overblown in relation to TRump's own - with legal peril added to the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Funny that you only post a squirrel post when something bad about trump comes out, rather than addressing the massive fraud at hand

They are two separate issues.

Trump isn't running to become the next Pope. People have always voted for candidates with checkered pasts, even criminal pasts, at elections.

Ultimately whether we like it or not, people are willing to look beyond the alleged crimes of Trump if they feel that he can deliver on what matters to their own personal lives.

Take mass migration. If Trump can deliver on this policy, and voters believe him, they will forego any criminal past because controlling borders / managing migration matters more to their own personal lives.

So yes, we could discuss the cases against Trump and that's a legitimate issue. But I am more interested in what policies Trump comes out with and how he can engage with the electorate leading up to the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It usually boils down to:

Person A: "Did you hear? The Whiskas cat food company has been committing massive fraud, the head of the company has been found liable for sexual assault, and they've been poisoning cats throughout the country"

Person B: "Yeah but there's a new poll that says 8 out of 10 cats prefer Whiskas.... so..... you haven't taken that into consideration...."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

So a man who's shown to be a complete systemic fraudster, can be trusted to run the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trump tried to subvert the result of the election. That is one of the legal issues he faces. To try to wave that away as some sort of private affair chequered past is absurd and transparent nonsense. It is not all in the past. It directly relates to his conduct as President and likely conduct if elected.

Stealing elections is one of his policies.

This is not business as normal. When one side has shown it is willing to subvert election results, and create an environment if it wins in that will be more favourable to it stealing more elections.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To understate Trump's actions on January 6th and sundry illegal behaviour as a "checkered past", and one that has no relevance on the election, is so hilarious and farcical as to render the rest of the opinion without merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

But he had 4 years to sort out the border. Why didn't he do it then? Why would you then believe whatever immigration policy he comes up with now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How much did Mexico pay towards the wall that Trump built?

Realistically, Trump couldn't solve the border question in a 4-year period. He did what politicians usually do at elections, exaggerate.

Biden should have at least continued Trump's policy with the same vim and vigour.

What we should all agree is that the migration crisis in the United States is causing incalculable and irreversible damage. Which candidate would you trust to at least attempt to resolve it - the Democrats, who support sanctuary cities and all the rest, or Republicans?

Trump at least talks the talk on the matter, which is what the electorate want.

If my neighbourhood were negatively impacted by overflowing waves of illegal migrants, I would absolutely hold my breath and vote for Trump if it meant restoring sanity to my community. Talk of Trump having documents in Mar a Lago wouldn't even factor into my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The thing about Trump's policy is he had a chance to deliver and he made a mess.of it.

Look at the border wall that Mexico was going to pay for, how he was going to scrap Obamacare and how he was going to drain the swamp. He cut taxes for corporations. What other policy areas did he deliver on?

He has a political track record now. He's not the 2016 outsider anymore. On top of that, he's a rapist and a fraud. You can tastelessly dismiss the rapist part as his 'private life' but voting a fraud for president really is illogical bullshit. How can he be trusted to deliver on policies when he is a proven fraud?

Anyone who truly thinks that Trump is the better choice in terms of integrity and ability to do the job needs to have their head checked. His character and his record show him up as the fraud he is. I can't see how its anything other than a case of cult-level 'I like what he's saying' when it comes to voting for Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That's the point. The Trumpsters know that the rapist has no chance in 2024 if Biden runs, hence the desperate both sides nonsense.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

An out and out rapist and fraudster would be pretty different to a standard checkered past.... The fact that it's something you're willing to discount might say more about you and the kind of voter that would be happy to discount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

So you would dismiss evidence of things he HAS done, things which give a good indicator of his true nature, in the hope of him doing something he HASN'T done, despite him having had the chance to do so?

You acknowledge that he exaggerates yet you'd still trust him again. Isn't that the premise of the 'definition of insanity' quote: Doing the exact same thing again and expecting different results?

• Advertisement

Always worth pointing out at this juncture when blather about Trump's efficacy is trotted out, that this was a Presidency where the GOP controlled all three branches of government; yet despite having total control of the WH, Congress and the Senate Trump & co. couldn't deliver on a single promised item from the 2016 campaign.

"Repeal and replace" was a disaster, while the border wall nothing but pure Pork Barrel from a real estate developer who thought big imposing structures were the best soluton to a complex problem. Looked impressive for the easily swayed, and easily scared (of brown people) out in Ohio I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

worse than pork barrel. an opportunity for a scam that a trump staffer took advantage of. Very on-brand for trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,481 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nail on the head. The Presidency for Trump is just the biggest grifting opportunity. Government of the grifters by the grifters for the grifters.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

"If my neighbourhood were negatively impacted by overflowing waves of illegal migrants, I would absolutely hold my breath and vote for Trump if it meant restoring sanity to my community. Talk of Trump having documents in Mar a Lago wouldn't even factor into my decision."

Based on your spelling, you don't get to vote in a US election, but hey, if you could, you'd vote for Trump no matter what. You continually prove that every day.

Oh, I'm from NYC. Immigration has been a problem for that city since my mother's family emigrated there in the 1930's. Immigration is a world-wide problem. Biden's doing better than Trump did. Walls in the desert southwest can't and don't work. Most immigrants arrive on airplanes, but this is nothing new, in one of your earlier incarnations we've been over and over and over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,451 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He didn't exaggerate, he lied. Blatantly. He had the opportunity and the power to fix the southern border and failed. But you believe he will this time??

As who would I trust to fix the immigration crisis out of a Republican or Democrat? I'd go with the Democrats as they will probably come up with workable, long term solutions. The Republicans would just do some grand gesture or stunt that would grab headlines for a day or 2 and not actually solve the problem.

The existing crisis in NYC and at the southern border has worsened under the Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,451 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Was Operation Lone Star active in the past administration? Tell all the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not trusted to run a charity.

Not trusted to run a company.

Not trusted to run a college.

But trusted to run a country? Of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump has never come out with a legitimate policy and you have to know that by now. No wall will be built and nor would it be effective. Voters might believe him though and let's be fair, his voter base is less likely to care about rape or fraud, there is a reason the phrase deplorable gets thrown around.

The core of his identity is being a rapist fraudster. Obviously he would prefer people not to be able to refer to him as such freely but that is the core of who he is. Everything he does or says can be viewed through the lens of trying to get trump more money or to get his rocks off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement