Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He only got 117 votes to win so not exactly inspiring.

After he "won" the nomination, they held a validation vote to see how many would vote for him in the floor vote.

Reports differ, but either 26 or 28 members did not vote for him.

He needs to convince 22/24 of them to vote for him if he's to actually become speaker.

There will definitely be at least 5 loons who won't vote for him, no matter what promises he tries to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,421 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Donald Trump just attempted to torpedo Tom Emmers bid to be the next speaker. Apparently its dead in the water with over 20 Republicans refusing to support him.

Democrats should consider voting for him if only to give Trump 2 fingers. He'd still be the Republican nominee and speaker and any ensuing chaos is still on them.

The whole thing just makes Nancy Pelosi look better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A core in the Republican party are preparing to do a deal with the Democrats to move on and isolate the more hardline elements of the Republican party

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 82,429 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump would turn up three quarters way through the meetings with the insurers. Classic old shakedown move, nothing clever about it, pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only reason I can see why Trump would be taking time out of his day where he's watching his former lawyer testifying in a case which could utterly decimate his entire business organisation to comment on the current nominee for Speaker, is because above all else Trump NEEDS to become President again to stand a chance at undoing the trouble he's in.

So he needs pure 100% absolute MAGA as Speaker to help him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump didn't torpedo anything. Trump backed Jordan and where did that go?

It continues to surprise me that anyone thinks what Trump says carries any real weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Sparko

Emmer out of the speaker race already. Circus.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,872 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Advertisement

Emmer has just pulled out.

It's time for this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Ah...

Why isn't this being televised?😥

Trump Is Finally Engaged in Trial Testimony

While reporters observing Trump’s civil fraud case from the courtroom have a view that’s largely limited to the back of his head, the ex-president’s posture--as well as the position of his neck, profile, and wispy-haired skull-can be reliable tells whether or not he’s paying attention.

During most of today’s testimony, Trump had a hunched posture at the defense table. He’d look ahead and sometimes chat with his attorneys. He did shake his head several times at one point of Cohen’s testimony.

Earlier, he muttered “this is a disgrace” when judge Engoron told a defense attorney to stop his soliloquy. Trump paid some attention, here and there, but by no means was he rapt.

Around 4:15 p.m., when Trump attorney Alina Habba stood to launch into her cross-examination of Cohen, that changed.

As she spoke to Cohen with rhetorical flourish, Trump straightened his posture and looked toward her. She started with a cool, “Hello Mr Cohen,” to which he responded in kind.

“We’ve met a few times, haven’t we?”

“We have.”

Did he want her to call him Mr Cohen or Michael?

“I think Mr Cohen for the day,” he said.

Habba advised him “They’re going to be yes or no questions.”

When he objected to one of her lines of inquiry, Habba gestured and invoked rhetoric reminiscent of televised legal dramas. “So here’s how this is going to go. They get to object,” Habba said, noting the plaintiff’s table, then saying of the defense, “They get to object.”

“That’s the judge,” she said.

These theatrics would soon spiral from colorful rhetoric into abject ridiculousness, with Cohen--who is no longer a lawyer--objecting to Habba’s questions.

“You cant object, that’s not how this works!” Habba said, quipping shortly thereafter, “If you still had your law license you could do that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2023/oct/24/trumps-former-fixer-michael-cohen-to-testify-at-civil-trial-live#top-of-blog

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One wonders, is it unravelling very quickly for Trump? As people have pointed out, getting a compliant Speaker is an essential part of any survival strategy. He can block lots put can't get his pick. Probably Jordan got Gaetz to shaft McCarthy on Trumps behalf.

Saw it suggested online that he wants continued chaos so he can claim to be the only one that can fix it. I don't buy that myself, think it's 9 months too soon for that sort of a play and what is happening amongst the Republicans right now is a clusterfcuk I don't know if any of us have seen in our lifetimes before.

Think if this is in their minds next November, it is more likely to keep Republican voters at home with them being disenfranchised with how incompetent the party currently is. It will turn again, it's inevitable in a two party environment but my God the last 12 months couldn't have gone much worse for them. Right now, it's actually better for Democrats to have lost the House by the small margin they lost it by given what Republicans have done with that majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Sparko

Meadows granted immunity by Jack Smith for his testimony.

Trump will probably struggle to convince people he barely knows his chief of staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is the content I came for.

I wonder just how much thought was placed in breaking this delicious piece of news on the day that Cohen testified?

I'd hazard that it was planned a while back in an effort to provoke a Trumpian response, and that Jenna Ellis copping a plea today is just icing on an already overloaded cake 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

From the civil fraud trial live feed

The judge overseeing Trump’s trial said testimony and financial documents about Trump's $1 billion bid to buy the Buffalo Bills in 2014 could be included as evidence because they support the attorney general's claims that Trump had a fraudulent pattern and practice when reporting his worth

October 24th 2023.

• Michael Cohen testifies against Trump in New York.
    • Jenna Ellis pleads guilty in Georgia.
    • Mark Meadows granted immunity in Jan 6th case.

What a day for Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He spent it in court watching Cohen testify, I wish there were cameras

• Advertisement

So that's how many RICO codefendants flipping now:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭amandstu

It seems all 4 will testify for the prosecution

"

"Four of those charged have already pleaded guilty and agreed to testify for the prosecution, while the others, including Meadows, Trump and Giuliani, have pleaded not guilty and are awaiting trial"

The fact that he’s going to be a primary witness who tells a jury, Trump knew the election wasn’t stolen, I think based on public information the conviction is all but a lock

Doesn't that article say that Meadows repeatedly told him hat there was no evidence the election was irregular but that Trump never said as much in Meadow's presence?

So he " knew" (bc he was repeatedly told) that the election was fair but refused to acknowledge it.

Was that because he refused to believe/admit it or because he knew that if he acknowledged it openly to his entourage that the game was up ?

I wonder if he had cronies who were completely in on the scam or did he keep everyone in the grey zone?

When you have someone as credible as Mark Meadows indicating Trump was engaging in such a pattern of willful blindness, yes, it's a lock for a jury IMHO, IANAL.

Trump who is painstakingly and overwhelmingly documented with compulsive reaction to **** people say, is told multiple times officially and personally by lawyers and his chief of staff he lost, no shot, etc. and he just.... selectively zoned out when people told him the election wasn't stolen, like all he heard was ringing in his ears like a Scorsese movie and after a few seconds of blinking to himself, 'person woman man camera tv,' goes and hits the diet coke button like nothing was said and starts going off about low-flow toilets?

I legit just got a youtube ad that was 3 middle age southern accented men doing poker at home, being like yeah trump had a decent hand, but now he's only got busted flushes etc. or whatever they actually said, i was too busy laughing to the unexpected ad which I assume is targeted at MAGA and exMAGA republicans and centrists to recall exactly what they said.

"When you have someone as credible as Mark Meadows indicating Trump was engaging in such a pattern of willful blindness, yes, it's a lock for a jury IMHO, IANAL"

Not sure how personally credible he is when he wrote a book that contradicts what he is now saying.

I think it is more of a circumstantial inference that people and jurors will get from his evidence if it dovetails with other witnesses(or compels other witnesses to be truthful)

Maybe he will be credible in that we can see how he really is rather than that we necessarily buy everything he is selling.

And thanks for reminding me about the concept of wilful blindness.

Trump playing dead stupid?

Basically yeah that’s trumps gambit imho.

Republicans pick their next smash bros character after calling mulligan on their last one. an election denier once again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,421 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Interference with witnesses!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭francois

Just goes to show what a self serving shìt Meadows is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement