Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like the judge in the civil case has ordered Ivanka testify. Won't be any earlier than Nov 1 mind,

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

4 days, meh.

If Trump can't go to jail then someone can be above the law, and with captured courts the american experiment is doomed and we should figure out what to do with the nukes before the last person leaves. It would be another democracy swallowed by the mind virus of autocracy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭Rawr

I feel that if he (hopefully) loses in 2024, he’ll continue his «Stolen Election» nonsense and will keep trying to put himself on the ballet.

This is likely all he’s got left soon. His businesses will likely fold, his kids will turn evidence on him and become the enemy, and Melania will probably be out the door at the earliest. All he’s got left by then will be his MAGA cultists, whatever grifters choose to orbit him for their benefit, and the talking point of him being «America’s Favourite President» but having his office «stolen» by those lefty wokest elites.

This is Donald The Rapist Trump until his sorry ass leaves this moral coil. It will be pathetic, it will be annoying, but it will hopefully serve as a life-lesson for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I would like to see a John McAfee type breakdown and exit. A half ton of mephedrone in Belize, bare chested and carrying a shotgun. Allegations of murder in the drug haze and wrapping it up with a suicide in a foreign jail. It would be a perfect hat-tip to his conspiracy theory swallowing, meathead, half-brains he has for followers.

You joke, but we could still be heading into a timeline where this ends with guns blazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Nothing to fear with him and guns, as we've seen with his dexterity with water bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not him and guns that have to be worried about, its his faithful, gun toting followers.

It's not /his/ dexterity with guns I'm worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

"It's nice to know that even though money might get you an invitation to Kim Kardashian's birthday party, it's not going to get you out of testifying against your dad".- Mary Trump 💥

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Thankfully they have the collective IQ of a quarter tonne of sedimentary rocks ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While I don't doubt the damage they could cause, they would quite quickly realise the 2A is not the effective tool for countering the Government that they so fetishize.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭francois

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think MAGA is gonna be the new Stars and Bars for all those lost whites who will cling to a loser, racist emblem for their own antagonistic identity. Trump will be long dead and his poisonous, aimless movement will inspire deplorables to crib about the Stollen Election that never was.

Always worth reminding ourselves what "MAGA" stands for and what its quiet implication has meant for a lot of predominantly white people in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The similarities between MAGA and the Confederacy are striking. Although there were earlier factors leading to the Southern States wanting to secede from the US, the election of Lincoln ultimately pushed the Southern extremists to try to break away in order to preserve white-power in their states. The election of Biden did trigger another attempt to take power from the Union Government (and an almost similar timeframe too, many states seceded in the weeks before Lincoln took office).

I fully suspect that many of those flying a flag with the letters “TRUMP” emblazoned upon it would happily also fly the Stars and Bars or any other variant of the Confederate flag.

One positive comparison however is that while the Confederate movement had the resources of their states to work with against a Union who didn’t have much of a standing professional army, these days the MAGA cultist are at least still marginal enough to not control a state outright, and that any new attempt to take on the Union would face a large, professional and heavily armed US Military.

That’s not to say that they wouldn’t want to try, and that many of them are too dimwitted to understand the horrors of an actual war (or even the horrors of the Civil War they romanticise about), that some might take a second loss by Trump as the call they wanted to try and raise militia and storm state capitals. The result would be quite bloody….for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Would it even take that? At the moment we have Trump basically daring Engeron to jail him at this stage.

He’s telling his brainwashed followers that it’s all a con, he’s innocent, the judge is crazy etc. You would imagine if the judge does send him behind bars even for one night, that may tip a few of the less mentally stable ones over the edge.

I think that Trump really is leaving the judge no choice but to spend a night behind bars.

If the law has to be seen to treat all equally, he has to be held in contempt, and taken behind bars. Fines won’t work on Trump. Fines are just another word for licences for those that can afford it.

Whats $10,000 to Trump? It’s like fining an ordinary person a tenner.

You get the feeling this is all coming to a head, and as painful as it is, the band aid needs to be ripped off at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Most of the republican leaning states are kept afloat by the democratic leaning ones. Financial reality means any thoughts of breakaway is a non runner. Interesting that a lot of people were putting little store in this case, but it turns out to be the leading one at this point. Hitting his finances will be the one to have most effect, esp breaking up and selling off the properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Uncle Vlad will provide as long as he can for his ultimate useful idiot to stay useful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It is not a coincidence that the case he is most engaged in and most concerned about is the one that targets his pocket.

Money is the only thing he cares about.

This case potentially takes it all away from him.

It will prove beyond doubt that he has never really been a billionaire and it will remove the thing he craves most, the illusion of wealth and power.

• Advertisement

That’s if he can even do that for him anymore. Pre-Ukraine War, Russian oligarch money could certainly flow to Trump to be laundered (Giving Donnie the kickbacks he needed to stay afloat), but can the same happen now that Russian money is under intense scrutiny and in some cases blocked outright by sanctions? Add that to Russia hemorrhaging cash to such an extent that “Russian Oligarch” might eventually become synonymous with “broke loser who had everything until Putin tanked the country into an unnecessary war”.

Donnie can’t rely Putin & Chums to bail him out, especially when they’re increasingly in debt to China and *North Korea* for the help they are getting from them. Trump’s only realistic shot to stay afloat now is to get some kind of grift going that can keep the lights on. Truth Social was probably part of that, but even that might be on borrowed time.

Jailing Trump might actually be enough to trigger something, I’d agree there.

I somewhat suspect that the reason they haven’t jailed him yet is due to practical issues. Basically, how do you jail someone with a Secret Service detail?:

• Do you jail the Secret Service people *with him* so they can protect him? (Which wouldn’t be very fair to those agents).
    • Do you get the Secret Service to jail him at one of their places? (If so, there’s probably a jurisdictional headache to fix there)
    • Do you jail him in a Federal facility where the Secret Service can be part of the staff (Likely same jurisdiction issues unless a Federal case)
    • Do you allow the Secret Service to be part of the jailing staff where they don’t officially have jurisdiction? (Might be likely solution, but will create a chain-of-command headache.)

Until they can create a practical framework where Trump can be jailed, but still has his Secret Service detail, I suspect they’ll kick this down the road with fines. Once they find a solution, then (hopefully) they’ll jail him if he is in contempt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In the same way you can have a police officer sitting outside a hospital room for the security of the occupant, I reckon the prison authorities could work round a SS person who was only responsible for making sure he was not attacked by other inmates/ staff had clearance to be with him. It would mean he was pretty much in solitary but that's not an unusual situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I agree with you, but a night in solitary with secret service guarding the door would be a temporary solution.

Yea, it's probably the most likely solution. No way you could have him with the general popultion of any given jail, be it a Georgia County Jail, or a Federal Prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think the Saudis have demonstrated on more than one occasion that they're now trump's financial backers with the demise of the kleptocrat cash flow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is huge risk for Trump if he is jailed and it's unlikely to be just for one night. First it unlikely his demands will be met such as it seems he eats a lot of fast food it's unlikely bringing these into him would be allowed. His phone and social media access would be stopped limited coffee no diet Pepsi coke

But the real problem might be his image if health and strength. He might have to turn up in prison uniform to purge his contempt of court. Finally will be be allowed access to his make up professional before such a court case.

A pale pallid old man ( no make-up on) leaving the court house in his suit wrinkled a bit, his white shirt with a stain or two on it, his hair unkempt and his tie not straight would project the loss of power and prestige.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If Trump actually goes to jail he won't be in a "jail" as such.

Almost certainly he'd get put in a secure facility on a Military base somewhere - House Arrest of sorts but in a house in the corner of a military base with all the security that comes with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Surely he's entitled to a friendly cell mate, as the isolation would be too much for him😉.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭briany

I was wondering this myself. I read one article which postulated that the Secret Service would coordinate with prison staff, so that while SS agents would not be physically in or around Trump's cell, they would be regularly exchanging info with prison staff who were tasked to essentially act as an SS proxy. If Trump were ever to be put in a federal facility, I have to think it's fairly certain that his life in there would be strictly segregated from gen pop. He'd get his own wing, if there was a wing going. He certainly wouldn't have to worry about being shanked in the shower. But although he'd be in as little danger as it's possible for a prisoner to be, the loss of freedom and his normal life would probably be unthinkable to him in itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement