Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭blackcard

It is a sad reflection on 2023 America that Trump is in pole position to win the next election. The 20th century belonged to America as, not only did they become a superpower, they were leaders in business, cinema, music and a lifestyle that people aspired to. But it is also a sad reflection, albeit to a lesser extent, that Trump's opponents have been Hillary and Joe. You would think that the US would be able to produce a strong, charismatic, fluent leader.

There seems to be a belief that the multiple legal cases against Trump will mean that Biden wiil win the election by default. I'm afraid that I have been hearing that the end of Trump is nigh since Pussygate, Russian collusion, Jan 6, his current court cases, etc. Yet still, he leads in current polls. There can be very few Americans who have not formed opinions about Trump at this stage. Do you think many will change their minds about him because he overvalued his companies? All it takes is one more stumble, one stuttering answer from Biden and Trump wins a 2 horse race. The Dems have to choose someone like Newsom to take on Trump who seems willing to alienate Europe, Canada and the Western World

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

He's popular with the conspiracy theorists, joe rogan listeners, musk fanboys and other cranks. Those tend to go republican. There are some oddballs on the american left such as the tankies and woowoo types that might vote for him too so it's not altogether that simple.

Then again, the audiences to whom he has most been promoted has been that of the right-wing media eco-system. To give a hypothetical example here, let's say Tim Poole or Nick Fuentes or Ben Shapiro or some other unscrupulous cnut like that sings his praises and has him on their show. Their audiences are overwhelmingly Trumpy. That's just the way it is in US media. It's very polarised. The only people who are watching those shows, which are just the modern iteration of US conservative radio, aren't dem voters. Basically, they've been convincing potential Trump voters to vote Kennedy. I'm sure the Young Turks have been doing similarly but I don't think they're anywhere near the mainstream appeal of the rightwing talking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gretchen Whitmer would be a good option for the Dems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What happened in 2020? We were told the same thing then.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 19,415 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He is an horrible piece of sh1t!!

I could say a lot more, but I don't want to be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, right. https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/interactive/2021/domestic-terrorism-data/

The numbers don't seem to support his argument, but of course the faithful will not be looking at the numbers, if he says it, its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Don't you know??? It's only 'terrorism' if they aren't white

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly I didn't realise til recently Haley was non Caucasian; I dunno if it's just genetic fluke or some intentional bit of presentation; either way I'd speculate her success so far might come down to her being "white enough" for a naturally prejudiced demographic.

The Trump MAGA cult has had a persistent refusal to engage in such inconveniences as facts since day one. Let's not forget it was that administration that coined the term "alternative facts", and after all as @duploelabs noted white people can't do terrorism.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's a good thing he never stated that BLM protestors were terrorists, multiple times, during his presidency - as that would be completely at odds with what he's saying now. Maybe he's just getting old and forgetful, a tad senile.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Frankly - Yes.

Right now the polling reflects a general dissatisfaction with Biden and a desire for a possible alternative.

That polling shows "others" doing better and beating Trump , comfortably in some cases.

If Biden is the nominee (and he will be) then in my view the overwhelming majority of those people will vote for Biden in a two horse race.

If someone says "I'd like Kamala Harris instead" or whatever today , they are not voting for Trump and they are also highly unlikely to sit the election out either because it's Biden , they know that hands Trump a win.

All that said , the Democrats need to work to ensure that complacency doesn't happen , but the evidence of that desire to vote and keep out the GOP is clear in all the recent elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Biden is the boiled rice of politicians, knows how to build consensus, but won't make dramatic changes, so he suffers during the off-election cycle.

But it's still funny watching the GQP loons try and manufacture outrage about him.

trump seems to have dropped the "I'm not racist" veil entirely with his repeated emphasis on Barack WHO-SANE Obama (probably still hurt that he hasn't come up with a "in 2 weeks" solution to replace obamacare).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Media desperately trying to make a contest of the primary hyping her but she is barely hitting double digts in the polls.

I seen something in one of the more in-depth breakdowns of polling intentions of the RDS and Trump supporters that few had her as their 2nd choice so even if somehow Trump was to drop dead tomorrow she would still struggle.

She has done well to consolidate the Never Trump old school type Republican voter but what use is that when that base is 15% of the party best case scenario?

She also seems unkeen to take the gloves of when it comes to Trump instead focusing all her attacks on RDS something which Trump won't mind , that's fine if you an eye on the VP slot but won't exactly turn out the voters needed to beat Trump in a primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Is her best bet, that Trump doesn't get on the ballot? So then if she's in second place, in default becoming the frontrunner. Good reason to attack RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,554 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haley definitely running to be Trump's VP pick next year and then using this run as a testing ground for running for the nomination in 2028.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

All that talking about Biden being a crook has worked, a lot of voters think Biden and Trump are equally corrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Why not antony blinken for the dems ? He seems presidential

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's the only bet for all of them as it currently stands

Tim Scott bailed out yesterday I see , the sooner the rest of them bail out and leave a single opponent for Trump the better . By having 4/5 of them running they are just splitting the "not Trump" vote.

Trump is below 50% of the vote in multiple states and only barely above 50 in others.

If there was a single opponent they could actually make a race of it. Along with the fact that if they were running at 40%+ support it might give someone confidence to actually attack Trump instead of pussy-footing around him.

But if they stay in the race pointlessly for the 1st few States , that allows Trump to build a head of steam and a lead that won't be caught..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

It will never happen cause 'Merica but Pete Buttigieg would be the person I'd like to see get the top job. Capable, intelligent and has an ability to reach through to the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Number of indictments for trump?

Number of indictments for Biden?

We're not buying, nor are the American voters, the both sides waffle

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

He has time though: he's only 41 and if he keeps his head down may yet get a crack. Though like you infer, his being gay would effectively neuter any chances of winning the Swing States.

• Advertisement

Newsome is probably the next Democratic candidate in 2028 but that's eons away politically so who knows.

On the GOP side , really hard to see who the next generation is - Pre 2020 people might have looked at someone like Josh Hawley but he's a dead duck now as is DeSantis.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Like many you underestimate the damage that Robert Kennedy can and will.do to Biden. He is a proven environmentalists, lawyer and lobbyist for indigenous peoples rights. Ya all these guys vote for Trump.

His conspiracy's theory on vaccines did not start with COVID-19 he has. Even anti vaccine since the early noughties.

As I said complacency is a serious issue for the Democratic party. This guy is not going to take the vote of you average Redneck. He has a history of fighting environmental issues along the east coast. If he polls well in these states it not Trump he will hurt

Slava Ukrainii

He has to be watched for sure , but all evidence so far shows that he hurts Trump far more than he hurts Biden.

Trump/Biden are neck and neck in most polling in a one on one race , introducing Kennedy gives Biden a solid lead across the board.

Kennedy gives a certain chunk of "holding their nose" Trump voters an out that they haven't had in the last 2 cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

TFG to testify in the NYC trial today, this is the defense phase so theoretically he'll be trying to advance his case with the judge. Theoretically anyway. I expect another stump speech and the judge perhaps escalating the penalty for ignoring the judge's instructions. Contempt is possible, they can always find a way to lock him up. Even today he could be led away by the bailiff on a contempt charge. Takes time to file an appeal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Its Junior who is testifying today. Don't think Trump's appearance is confirmed/scheduled yet.

It'll be interesting to watch how they try to navigate the defence testimonies.

The defence never asked any rebuttal questions when the Prosecution had the family on the stand but you can guarantee that the reverse won't happen.

Are both the Trumps and their lawyers smart enough to avoid them contradicting themselves from their earlier testimony ?

I doubt it , but it should be fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

Kennedy with his Scott Ritter connection, Jewish/Chinese COVID conspiracy theories and multiple other Qanon levels of insanity will attract mostly low information voters. Yea, I don't think Joe Biden will lose much sleep over him. The attack ad featuring Ritter alone will probably finish him when Trump sees it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

will he use it an excuse to not appear in court?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This puts an upper limit on how long we can expect to be burdened with cheeseburger Mussolini

his telomeres run short

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement