Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

If you're ok with Trump being removed from the ballot then don't complain when Trump or another version of him does the same to a candidate you actually support because that's the precedent being set, and that's exactly what will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A fitting end to his "presidency" would be to see him dragged out of his presidential palace and hanged outside the nearest petrol station.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

What candidate has removed trump from the ballot?

Are courts in the states candidates for the office of the president?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,409 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Sigh

Courts in Individual states are applying their laws in line with the qualifying or disqualifying criteria for being a president as set out in the constitution.

That is exactly what they are supposed to do.

You or anyone else can moan about it but the courts have the power and indeed obligation to do just that.

As for your hypothetical, firstly Biden isn't removing trump.. let's be clear on that and secondly, if Biden leads an insurrection, then yes - he should be disqualified from running for president.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭amandstu

You don't think that if Trump wins he will remove his opponents from the next ballots anyway?(if he is still alive and compos mentis of course)

Will he anoint a successor if he wants to take a break after his vindication and subsequent purges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Greengrass53

Stop talking nonsense please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's past time that courts over there grew a spine. Hopefully, this catches on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem is, being removed from the ballot is absolutely gonna be mangled into a victim complex mutated past all reason, and potentially into something dangerous. If individual rights are interpreting this issue as requiring Trump to be removed - then such is their decision (funny how suddenly all these "State's Rights!" people across the Right have decided they shuldn't be allowed exercise those rights) and that's entirely on them - but the fallout from this could get nasty. Trump won't care if he stokes violence and retribution, and his more lunatic MAGA cultists will only shine their private weapons collection with more fervour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You'd imagine that something like that would normally have the opposite effect of making it less likely that the Supreme Court Justices you nominated side with you because you're making it seem like quid pro quo and that you're inherently biased towards them.

"Normally"

I doubt any of the SC Justices he nominated, nor the existing conservative justices especially Clarence Thomas, care about being seen as biased or not at this stage. They have the Supreme Court and they'll do with it what they please without shame or an attempt to be as objective as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think some sort of serious conflict is on the way for the USA. Republicans have spent decades undoing the social contract and what we're seeing now is the logical consequences of that. All the GOP cares about is power and they're going to dismantle democracy the first chance they get.

If Trump wins, the Project 2025 plan will be put into action. People will resist but a point will come when courts alone won't be enough to save democracy. If Trump loses, he'll latch on to any and every excuse and continue to do what he's been doing. One can only hope that security at the Capitol is actually fit for purpose this time around.

I know he's leading in the polls at the moment but it's hard to imagine him actually winning after last time, the E. Jean Carroll case, his behaviour on social media and so on. I just don't think the MAGA demographic is that big.

The only way that I can see violence being avoided is if Trump just dies. He's old and lives a notoriously unhealthy lifestyle but the devil looks after his own. I can't see a Biden win in November not resulting in some form of strife but time will tell.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

While a Biden win could certainly lead to some strife, it may also be the only thing that breaks the GQP's grasp on the Republican Party, because the ones left with any sanity will have to acknowledge that that brand of crazy is just a loser. They will have to do their best to clean up their own house from within and bring things back to something resembling proper order and political discourse, and quell the loonies who managed to get a seat because the only other candidate in their area was half a carrot that the local Sheriff's dog took a crap beside (and even then Lauren Boebert would have had to switch to a neighbouring constituency to avoid a tight race).

If Trump can't beat Biden again, and particularly if the GOP lose their hold on Congress, surely they would have to say they need to at least publicly change tact. Because by the time of the next elections after that, the crazies will still vote GOP because they're never-Dems, but the more centre-leaning Republicans and independents will likely just not show up for them.

Half-A-Carrot/Ocasio-Cortez 2028!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Violence seems inevitable, to me the broader question to me is: how organised will this violence be? 'cos I'm not sure much can be done about the Lone MAGA gunman who decides to lay waste to their local government buildings, but if there's some kind of cross-state movement? That's a different kettle of fish.

Thankfully, I think the main problem with MAGA is that it is, broadly, a collection of total fúcking idiots and because its Leader Tier are just craven shysters trying to make bank than make political changes, there's no brain trust to worry over centralised thinking. That's not to say we're not gonna see Trump try and cry foul and infamy (especially if the courts decide he shouldn't be on the ballot in the first place), but we're probably not looking at civil confilct. IIRC many of the Red States are basically subsidised by the Blue ones: any sudden seditionist sentiment would quickly run dry the moment the Federal money stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

In the hopeful scenario that Biden beats him again, I also expect some extreme nonsense from Trump and his horde of enraged dimwits.

However, this time I imagine problems to begin early, at the voting places themselves. I expect in many places, especially the swing states, you'll get at least 1 or 2 MAGA extreemist try to kick off at the polls and try to disrupt everything. You even have Mike Lindell selling a "Voting Machine Fraud detector" he's calling a "WMD". In reality it is a cheap little pocket WiFi scanner that will tell you what WiFi networks are nearby. In Lindell's own drug-addeled mind the precense of a Wifi network in the area of a voting machine is proof enough of China trying to steal the election. In many cases the voting places will within range a local WiFi network, especially if it is in a school.

Although that alone is no proof of China "hacking" into voting machines, the Lindell device itself becomes a loud & disruptive cudgel for the extreme MAGA people to swing about and shove into officials faces. "LOOK! China & Hugo Chavez are stealing the election, RIGHT NOW! Look: 'cb_highschool_guest' That's a China network! It has to be!!

Thus you're going to get disruptive nonsense at the polls themselves, maybe even resulting in (hopefully for the MAGA folk) doubt in the results in those districts.

My hope is that the polling places themselves get themsevles ready for all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Indeed. If people are to be given a vote to ignore the law and have the chance to vote for Trump they should be able to vote for Obama again for the same reason.

They should both be barred from running due to the constitution (albeit different clauses within)

I understand the point you are making, but if something happens which negatively effects you, then unless you ask for and are willing to contemplate the reason why it happened, then you can **** off as far as I am concerned.

Group one

People see him being disqualified as "the deep state etc"

Group two

People see him being disqualified, and ask why, and then consider the reasons

Group three

Then finally there are those that want him to be disqualified regardless.

The only issue is with the first group and frankly, no matter what you do to Trump, they will spin it as it never being his fault. You cannot reason with these a holes.

That group is further broken down to those that will go down to their local drinking hole and moan all day about "dem librils", and those that will try do something about it. Now, if you consider the latter, they will have had to sit through Jan 6 and see all of those protesters getting charged, imprisoned and *not pardoned* by Trump, and STILL figure that they should do something. Let's be honest - they aren't the sharpest tools in the drawer and so any efforts will be snuffed out before there are any consequences.

TL:DR - tough sh1t - you fúcked around, now you found out

Trump isn't the type to just pack up and go home. I see your point about the GQP (Had to google that) but there are a horde of mini-Trumps running around now and the MAGA demographic isn't going to just vanish either. If they want to detoxify the party, they're going to have to have a serious spring clean.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Agreed on this.

While I fear a Trump win and what that would do, if he losses I really fear what his die hard followers and crazed loons will do. Having just watched the doc on Waco Texas, my hot-take is that there could be hoards of his followers who will take up arms. January 6th was like a dress rehearsal, anything after that could well be civil war levels of violence.

Would make a great movie, so I hope I am wrong.

The MAGA cohort definitely won't vanish, but they'll always vote GOP regardless, so I can see the GOP working to not kowtow to their demands or let them run the show, because that side of the base is off-putting to the moderates and Independents that the GOP need to win over.

Once they take power, could be a different story, but either way I think if Trump loses again, and particularly if the MAGA supporters engage in any kind of riots or disturbances or the elected Trumpists try to disrupt proceedings/certifications again, the main GOP will be forced to re-evaluate. They simply won't ever gain enough votes to take power if they keep allowing the MAGA crowd to be the face of the party.

MAGA will always vote GOP, but there are enough Independents and moderate GOP who won't vote MAGA.

Will they though? What if Trump turns on the GOP as part of his inevitable sabotage narrative? The only consistent thing about him is that he burns anyone and everyone the second it suits him. You look at some of the crazies dominating right wing discourse over there nowadays. They won't be going away either. The MAGA loons may settle for someone like MTG if Trump dies but even that's a maybe.

They'll never vote Democrat but they may well just not vote at all either.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

They'll never vote Democrat but they may well just not vote at all either.

Short term, maybe. But long term, after a few years of the Dems running the show, I'd put money on most of them preferring to back any GOP candidate simply to try beat the Dems. If Trump loses this election too, he'll either not run again or simply not be able to (legal/age/health). Trump might try turn some of his followers against the GOP for not backing him strongly enough and blame them for his loss, but that'll just ensure things swing to the Dems even harder. So yeah, up until the next midterms and another wet fart of a red wave due to GOP infighting, even die-hard MAGA might decide any GOP is better than no GOP.

I don't know much about US history but here in the UK, it took over a decade for the Conservative party to become electable after 1997. You're probably right here but it depends on who replaces Biden. If it's Harris, the loons may swallow their bile and vote but if it's another old white fella then they may not.

H. H. Asquith

That's certainly true too. Voting against the opponent rather than for your own candidate can definitely be a powerful motivator. A big part of Trump's win was hatred of Hillary, and a big part of Biden's win was hatred of Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Anything other than him winning in a landslide is going to be viewed as a giant conspiracy when Trump as the innocent victim so it really doesn't matter what way he loses, they will never accept it anyway.

Recent polling shows that only 31% of GOP voters believe that Bidens 2020 win was legitimate , down from 39% in previous polls.

The delusion is growing not shrinking and that is terrifying and depressing in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I think even if Trump shuffles off this mortal coil, violence may be inevitable. Their society is just a mess with rather a large part of them wanting a Gilead with a side helping of racism versus a relatively functional democracy (with all its faults and failings). The US can't continue to almost teeter on the edge of an abyss forever. It's society needs to step back fix what can be fixed while also figuring out just what sort of country they are right now and what they want to be. Maybe that may mean some states going their own way as they are incompatible with the way the US is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The other question is, once Trump is in jail and either lost the election or been barred, and the dust has settled, what are we going to do for entertainment? Maga will just become another conspiracy theory, like flat earth or 9/11 or Elvis is alive, there is only so much mileage you can get out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Re-runs of the West Wing.

I think we could do with a period of boring US politics.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

They would deserve every bullet coming back their way if they decide to take up arms and create havoc over a fair electoral loss. If they want to try it, then fcuk them. They would be completely in the wrong.

I hope the USA can talk through the issues its having at the moment, but MAGA doesn't seem like it's much for talking at the moment. They're up to their necks in conspiracy, hatred and paranoia. So, I don't know how they can be talked down from the ledge.

Maybe some kind of conflict has to happen for them to be put back in their box and for their enablers to see sense and/or be brought to justice. I hope not, for the sake of general western stability as much as anything else, but American civil society and its system of laws cannot be cowed by their threat of violence. It will have to be faced, if they're serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I think a conflict of some sort is inevitable at this point. The GOP are in ruins more or less, some of just resigned themselves to being outliers against the crackpots on the MAGA side.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement