Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the future hold for Donald Trump? - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Goes and attacks her ex-Husband, in public, right after declaring that she's abandoning her district for a neighbouring safe-seat (which she might not even win the primary for), for which her current consistuents now hate her for.

Already understood why a person would want to divorce her, but this is just making me marvel how anyone could stay married to that headache personified for more than an hour.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly, everything depends on how they choose to rule.

They could decide that the 14th amendment doesn't apply to the Office of President which would prevent its use by any State to remove Trump. That isn't a ruling on the "Absolute immunity" nonsense though , it would just be saying that the 14th amendment doesn't apply. He could still be prosecuted for anything.

They could decide that the 14th Amendment can only be decided on at the Federal level , meaning that States can't individually decide , but a Federal decision could be made. At this point , Trump has not been charged with Insurrection at the Federal level but he might yet be.

They could agree that the 14th Amendment does actually apply to the Office of President meaning that the Colorado ruling stands , but that then potentially means that Trump would go back and appeal the finding of the original court that he had "engaged in Insurrection". Given that there wasn't really a full hearing/trial on that specific matter and the Judge just ruled based on submissions , Trump could win that at least initially, perhaps forcing a fuller trial to be held.

They might also rule that there had been some error of procedure somewhere and find the Colorado ruling invalid somehow , without actually definitively declaring that the 14th Amendment applies to the President or not which would force the case back in the court in Colorado for further review/rehash.

That would very much be "kicking to touch" by the SCOTUS but I suspect that if they can engineer it , it would be their preferred option as they really don't want to touch this with a barge pole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hadn't realised she was abandoning her district for a cushier / friendlier one; that's cynical. I hope she fails the primary cos it'd be nice to see some failure by the MAGA lunatics at the polling station & where it counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

It would be spectacular if she failed the Primary, since I think she can't even roll back to her previous district (I assume). And even if she did, she might have burned that bridge with her voters there.

Wouldn't mind something similar happening to Marjorie 3-Names as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The seat is currently held by Ken Buck , but he is retiring hence her ability to jump over.

The current thinking is that she may not even get past the primary as she's not from the district which isn't liked (carpet-bagger references etc.) and she's appalling even for them. It's an old school GOP seat and she is generally not liked by those types.

However , overall it probably works out for the GOP as if they dump here in the Primary , they hold that seat and back in her original district they have a much better chance of holding that seat without her too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

She only won in her current district by about 100 votes or something so I'd say she'd fail there too if she tried to go back there after ditching them. The sooner we see the end of this lunatic, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"However , overall it probably works out for the GOP as if they dump here in the Primary , they hold that seat and back in her original district they have a much better chance of holding that seat without her too."

which is why sometimes, Dems fund people like her, so that ultimately, the Dems win the seat when she is put forward

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Well, given he's a proven liar and also prone to run his mouth on tape, what do we reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

That smelling of poo thing is only an allegation. I don't say that it's not true, but it's not what should be focused on, imo, because it just adds to the noise and distraction. Plus it legitimises those who talked about Obama smelling of sulphur, like what your political opponents smell of is something that's really worth discussing as opposed to their policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Agreed, we should look at Trump's opinion on the economy.

Trump hopes the economy crashes within the next 12 months so it'll be Biden's fault. Doesn't care at all about the effect such a crash would have on the American people who could lose their jobs, homes, insurances, savings etc. Cares more about not wanting to be the next Herbert Hoover (POTUS during the Great Depression).

• Advertisement

Whilst terrible , it's not remotely surprising.

EVERYTHING is about Trump and what benefits him , so an economic crash that damages the country , makes millions unemployed and/or homeless and destroys the future for many more is a great thing because it increases HIS chances of winning the election.

Although it won't change a single persons mind , it's just further proof of his utter disdain for anyone and anything that isn't good for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

At the end of the day, like all presidential elections its going to come down to the key swing states, the usual ones such as Florida. Probably 40 states are already locked in, going either Biden or Trumps way no matter what they say or do in the next 11 months.

Most of the electorate in the swing states are also decided by now, barring something disastrous.

The majority of the American electorate are not very sophisticated, and some of those not very sophisticated people are also bizarrely very well educated.

Trump could win or lose this time, but if he's still in good shape, its guaranteed he will stand again in 2028 with a very good chance of winning then, as there is no real stand-out on the Democrat side.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah yeah but let's not forget the GOP are a great party for their support for social safety nets like unemployment benefit, debt forgiveness, food stamps, access to education ...

WAIT A MINUTE!

It is somewhat brain-breaking to think sometimes how Trump's base are precisely the demographic who he & his party routinely fúcks over at a social and economic level - yet they still come back for more. Here in Ireland they asked for a small water tax, a change in the TV license format, and the country practically exploded with rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭randd1

Battered wife syndrome. Or in this case abused voter syndrome, "I'll vote them in again because they know they really love them and things might be better this time".

Doesn't matter, either Trump wins and project 2025 gets underway and America moves from functioning democracy to Trumpistan, or Biden wins and a civil war kicks off. Either way, America is dead by the end of 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

There will be no civil war. Trump supporters might be stupid but they ain't going to try to fight the government that has aircraft carriers and tanks and F16s.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They might be able to vote for Trump but when you look at the majority (or so it seems) of Trumpers they are not young enough or agile enough or have enough energy to do more than attend a rally. Rallies are entertaining, social group-thinks, not much risk of being knocked about or tear gassed. There might be protests and there might be some opportunistic rioting by anyone who feels like creating trouble, but they are not likely to be organised enough to do a Jan 6th. And the authorities will be ready for them - and in a position to act - next time.

Indeed - Following a potential Biden victory next November , there's no way Trump gets permission to hold a rally on January 6th near the capitol or if he does it will be surrounded by a ring of steel.

The opportunity for them to repeat their previous antics will be massively restricted.

Doesn't mean that few brain-dead gravy seals wouldn't try something , but there won't be thousands of them allowed to congregate uncontrolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭randd1

Never underestimate the ability of stupid to try outdo itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He's only running for POTUS again to try to avoid all these criminal cases stacking up against him. He knows that he's sunk if he doesn't find a way to make them go away through getting re-elected. Nothing else will be entering his mind, and if anyone thinks he's gives a flying flamingo about the country and what happens to it, they're utterly deluding themselves.

100% true , but he has never cared about anything other than himself so this isn't new.

It's his first, last and only consideration - "How does this benefit me?"

If there's no benefit to him he has no interest in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Listening in to the immunity case at the moment. The Judges are taking D. John Sauer, Trump's lawyer apart. His argument is being exposed as utterly ridiculous via a series of hypotheticals including ordering assassination or selling military secrets.

I'm not sure which Judge just walked Sauer into conceding that a president can be prosecuted and that prosecution post impeachment is also possible. Trumps own lawyer has conceded that there is no absolute immunity.

One of the judges just quoted Trump's own statement that no officer of the united states is above prosecution. Sauer in fairness to him, retorted with "no subordinate officers, not the President".

Sauer has prepped well for this hearing but each of the judges so far has used his own cited cases and his clients utterances on congressional record to hammer home that he does not enjoy unqualified immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭amandstu

I think I heard that the real motivation for no hope appeals is just to delay the process so that the laws can be rewritten if Trump wins the general election.

Do these,or other judges have it in the back of their minds at at that any verdict or process of theirs might (with what probability ,I wonder?) be set aside for a good long time if the Orangetan regains "office".

Is Trump's mo to first manipulate and then,if expedient cast aside the laws of the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭amandstu

I see Biden was comparing the non acceptance of the loss of the election by Trump to the non acceptance of the losers of the Civil war to their loss the other day.

Will that argument gain traction in the election?

Is there a parallel and was it the case that there were a lot of disaffected losers in the years after the Civil War?

from his speech "“We’re living in an era of a second Lost Cause,” he said. “There’s some in this country trying to turn a loss into a lie – a lie which if allowed to live will once again bring terrible damage to this country"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Interesting. I'm sure Trump's people have a load of Crooked Nimarata attack ads ready to roll, get the base riled up against her 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 21,351 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's a great angle. Any liberally minded and people of colour will be motivated. Yes, there was and still are a lot of sore losers from the civil war around.

The absolute immunity issue and the interlocutory appeal are supported by the Prosecution in this instance. It's usually a point of law that would only be addressed upon a post conviction appeal. The DoJ in this instance seem to want it dealt with before Trial. Very probably because time is so tight for the election.

I'd imagine the DoJ want to be certain that if/when they gain a conviction it's not quashed because higher court & SC rule it applies to Trump. It also IMO is a tactic to ensure that effort by Trump to cloak himself in a version of the divine right of kings is seen for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Haley would probably have a better chance against Biden than Trump would. Interesting if there are any Haley/Biden head to head polls.

The country is badly in need of a new generation of leaders.

Sure MAGA love the Confederacy..

69% of GOP voters believe the Election was stolen....

No ones mind will be changed by this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I agree. I wonder do the Dems have a plan B in place in case Trump isn't nominated?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement