Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Yesterday The First Lady stood in front of a flag that was inspired by and resembled Nazi imagery:

Jill-Biden-scaled.jpg
    feg
    “The flag was the official flag of the United Farm Workers of America,” “The organization claims that the eagle that is featured on the flag was designed by Cesar Chavez’s brother, Richard Chavez.” In a profile piece on Cesar Chavez, Smithsonian Magazine notes that the activist “researched emblems, including cigarette boxes and Nazi flags, and concluded that the most potent color combination was red, black and white.

101-Objects-Voice-Chavez-Jacket-28-631.jpg
    bjfb

Given the outrage directed toward the Trump campaign, the media showed little to no interest in the imagery displayed behind Biden. There was outrage surrounding the design of a t-shirt that had the eagle's head turned in the same direction as The Reichsadle. USA Today did a "fact-check" and originally concluded that Trump campaign’s use of an eagle was “similar” to Nazi imagery; “The claims that a Trump campaign T-shirt uses a symbol similar to a Nazi eagle is TRUE, based on our research.”, but of course it was amended much later stating; “This story has been updated to reflect further reporting and analysis. The rating has been changed to inconclusive.” Trump would have been hung drawn and quartered for doing the same thing. Yet the mainstream media are nowhere to be seen. It's the shameless double standards.

Biden is simply pandering here on a level that is cringeworthy.

https://twitter.com/akoseff/status/1377388159160311809

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cringeworthy is right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I'm always reminded of this when I see Cartman banging on about his hatred of the poor

It takes a special kind of d!ckhead to despise people who are just plain unlucky enough to be born into poverty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

...stuff...

Out of curiosity, why not link to the article from which you lifted most of the content in your post?

Is it because it was an editorial piece from the Daily Wire?

Fact-Checkers Rated A Trump T-Shirt As ‘Similar’ To Nazi Imagery. Will Jill Biden Get The Same Treatment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

salmocab wrote: »
    Cringeworthy is right

indeed. Standing in front of a flag that you have no idea of the significance of (assuming the design is significant) is the exact same thing as profiting by selling tshirts inspired by nazi imagery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I dont admire them at all for it. But all these things are done as a tax fiddle, its to avoid being forced to pay for things. If you had a flat tax system where it was say 10% corporation tax and 20% across the board income tax, no fiddles, credits, loopholes, additional taxes or forced responsibilities etc.. then companies wouldn't be offshoring profits, using multiple part time workers instead of a single full time, etc.. All these rules about treating part time and full time workers differently. At the moment we have a competition gap where big employers can play these funny games and squeeze out small businesses. If we just reduce the tax burden but close all the loopholes then everyones on an even playing field and small businesses can compete , employees are better off as they have more certainty that their lives won't be turned upside down to suit a loophole etc..

at the moment the biggest problem is that its built tomes of regulations designed to stop businesses being evil, helped written by big corporations who make them sound nice but in reality they just hurt all but the biggest players who can loophole around them. If you cut taxation and regulation more Americans would go back to running and working in small businesses which are less likely to be crappy employers, it also opens up the route to start more businesses in deprived areas where the only jobs available are the crap ones like Walmart.

But do you understand why these loopholes exist? They don't just appear, and they certainly don't stay for no reason.

Companies lobby, threaten to leave individual states etc unless they get special treatment.

Yesterday The First Lady stood in front of a flag that was inspired by and resembled Nazi imagery:
    In a profile piece on Cesar Chavez, Smithsonian Magazine notes that the activist “researched emblems, including cigarette boxes and Nazi flags, and concluded that the most potent color combination was red, black and white.”

So, the whole purpose of this post is to point out that this flag must be Nazi-related because it uses red, black and white? That is what you have decided to be angry about today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

So, the whole purpose of this post is to point out that this flag must be Nazi-related because it uses red, black and white? That is what you have decided to be angry about today?

No it’s what he was told to be angry about today

salmocab wrote: »
    No it’s what he was told to be angry about today

I have a ball. Do you think he would like to bounce it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The way to solve the American financial problems is to get rid of credit cards. That'll never happen but it's what drags the whole economy down because too many people spend more than they can afford and then spend years paying it back. So you get these people putting massive funds into the economy for a couple of years and then they are locked down in repaying debts for years. Slow and steady is much better for the economy than bubbles, only people that benefit from bubbles are the crooks on Wall Street.
    Student loans are ridiculous over there too. I know a guy who qualified in medicine but decided to go working in a bar to pay off his student loans. He said he couldn't afford to go through the years following college until he got rid of his student loans.
    That's just one example but it's pretty common over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Jill-Biden-scaled.jpg
    feg

101-Objects-Voice-Chavez-Jacket-28-631.jpg
    bjfb

Given the outrage directed toward the Trump campaign, the media showed little to no interest in the imagery displayed behind Biden. There was outrage surrounding the design of a t-shirt that had the eagle's head turned in the same direction as The Reichsadle. USA Today did a "fact-check" and originally concluded that Trump campaign’s use of an eagle was “similar” to Nazi imagery; “The claims that a Trump campaign T-shirt uses a symbol similar to a Nazi eagle is TRUE, based on our research.”, but of course it was amended much later stating; “This story has been updated to reflect further reporting and analysis. The rating has been changed to inconclusive.” Trump would have been hung drawn and quartered for doing the same thing. Yet the mainstream media are nowhere to be seen. It's the shameless double standards.

Biden is simply pandering here on a level that is cringeworthy.

https://twitter.com/akoseff/status/1377388159160311809

We’ve hit desperation level I see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yep. Trump supports actual neo-Nazis, fine. Jill Biden stands in front of a flag with an eagle on it and the Trumpsters go mad.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Yep. Trump supports actual neo-Nazis, fine. Jill Biden stands in front of a flag with an eagle on it and the Trumpsters go mad.

They’ve got nothing else.

That was hit a couple of months ago

I wonder if 1800_Ladladlad thinks everyone in Yemen is a Nazi?

• Advertisement

The flag in question was actually the United Farm Workers (UFW) union flag. The UFW, which was founded in 1962, is the country’s first permanent agricultural labor union.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petersuciu/2021/04/01/jill-biden-and-melania-trump-trending-is-a-mirror-of-our-national-divide/

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

lol United Farm Workers probably need to rethink that design and color palette combination.

lol United Farm Workers probably need to rethink that design and color palette combination.

Why?

The flag, which was designed by Chávez's cousin in 1962, when Chávez and Dolores Huerta founded the National Farmworkers Union, the predecessor of the United Farm Workers union. The Aztec eagle symbol on the flag was meant to be a sign of courage for the farm workers. The historic Forty Acres property, where Biden gave her speech from, serves as the headquarters for the UFW.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Why?

The flag, which was designed by Chávez's cousin in 1962, when Chávez and Dolores Huerta founded the National Farmworkers Union, the predecessor of the United Farm Workers union. The Aztec eagle symbol on the flag was meant to be a sign of courage for the farm workers. The historic Forty Acres property, where Biden gave her speech from, serves as the headquarters for the UFW.

Doesn't bother me personally but it's easy to see the resemblance to certain other imagery. Anyway I won't harp on about it, my comment was partially in jest.

REPORTER: How much credit are you taking for today's [jobs] numbers?

BIDEN: I'm giving credit to the American people

How bizarre.

• Advertisement

Major emergency response outside the U.S. Capitol amid ongoing incident, reports of injuries

?

BREAKING: At least 1 person down outside the U.S. Capitol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Car seems to have crashed into barriers at the Capitol, 2 people taken away on stretchers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

here's some more detail. seems like the driver drove into a permanent barrier. they also allude to potential bomb, but thats prob just media sensationalising things.

wait and see i guess. hopefully the 2 people are alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I have a ball. Do you think he would like to bounce it?
    I wonder if 1800_Ladladlad thinks everyone in Yemen is a Nazi?

MOD

Enough with the personal attacking of other posters.

Threadbanned

is anyone following the matt gaetz thing?

not really related to biden but in the same realm. apparently under investigation for the last year for (something) with under age people. after the story broke he then says he (his family) is being extorted for 25m to make the investigation go away and a sting operation was in place to get the people extorting him.

he accused this person live on air and asked for the authorities to release the audio. its all pretty odd.

anyway, back to biden and odd ..hunter's thing with the gun and beau's widow throwing a gun away. whats the story there?

i dunno, the US is mad

this thread has been quite slow moving recently and i think it might be a good idea for people to say why they support biden.

i have given a few examples of why i dont, if anyone wants to share why they do.

a catch, you cant say 'because trump'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this thread has been quite slow moving recently and i think it might be a good idea for people to say why they support biden.

i have given a few examples of why i dont, if anyone wants to share why they do.

you don't get to decide what people can and cannot say.

Handling of covid
    Pretty exciting plans that are reminiscent of the new deal
    Not engaging in hate speech and takes job seriously

Lots more, he's actually turning out to be a far more interesting presidency than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

How about you tell us where you criticised Trump about the thing you're gonna criticise biden for?

That sounds fair.

It shows you're bona fida concerned about the issue, rather than portraying fake outrage.

Well, tbf, many Trump supporters used the excuse that they only voted for Trump because HC was such a terrible candidate.

So, it is perfectly reasonable to select Biden over Trump when choice is one or other.

As for actually supporting Biden, I for one don't support him as such. But it is very obvious, even at that early stage, that he has great ideas, is doing a great job, and is the type of thinking, considered and professional leader that both the US and the world in general needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Because he is Presidential.
    Because is is an experienced politician.
    Because he won the election.
    Because he has picked a diverse administration.
    Because he gives a positive, realistic message on topical issues.
    Because he put together a relief bill which is helping most of Americans.
    Because he is not selfishly motivated.
    Because he immediately started to correct bad actions which had been taken by the previous President.
    Because he has overachieved in getting vaccines administered and immediately set a new ambitious target.
    Because he behaves like a head of state motivated by what is best for the people in that state.
    Because he lets the appropriate people take the lead on specific issues.
    Because he has done more positive things in 70 days, than some Presidents do in 1,460 days.
    Because this thread being quite slow moving is evident of just how well he is doing.

everlast75 wrote: »
    How about you tell us where you criticised Trump about the thing you're gonna criticise biden for?

That sounds fair.

It shows you're bona fida concerned about the issue, rather than portraying fake outrage.

i've criticised trump plenty in the election thread and probably this thread as well.

my main gripe is the power media and big tech now command. and that is all geared towards 1 side.

for example, biden slipping on the steps (i didnt think it was a big deal really), but the fact instagram stopped people posting it.
    twitter with the story on hunter biden censoring it.

like, the media command huge power and its now been concentrated into (mainly) social media all with left leaning biases.

so why dont like biden, cos he supports all that and other policies which i don't agree with

Protecting the environment.

Fin.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted, some by posters who really should know better

Never discuss moderation in-thread. If you do wish to discuss it, PM a mod

Do not respond to this post in thread

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well, tbf, many Trump supporters used the excuse that they only voted for Trump because HC was such a terrible candidate.

So, it is perfectly reasonable to select Biden over Trump when choice is one or other.

As for actually supporting Biden, I for one don't support him as such. But it is very obvious, even at that early stage, that he has great ideas, is doing a great job, and is the type of thinking, considered and professional leader that both the US and the world in general needs.

which is prob true, and the same re biden and trump.

great ideas and doing a great job...can you give some examples?

Handling of covid
    Pretty exciting plans that are reminiscent of the new deal
    Not engaging in hate speech and takes job seriously

Lots more, he's actually turning out to be a far more interesting presidency than I expected.

handling of covid? how do you explain letting covid positive illegal immigrants into the country?

what are these exciting plans?

hate speech...thats a given, what president has?

taking jobs seriously - what does that even mean? by signing an EO that laid off 1000's of people with the stroke of a pen?

which is prob true, and the same re biden and trump.

great ideas and doing a great job...can you give some examples?

Vaccines rollout.

Support cheques. Infrastructure plan. Standing up against Georgias plan to stop voters. Stopping the pipeline. Focus on climate change. Standing behind GFA. Looking to make a deal with Iran.

But let's go with some things that Trump loved talking about. Stock market is doing great. Its not the worst in the world for Covid. His popularity is amazing.

You need nothing more than that. The difference between this admin and the last is night and day.

• Advertisement

Because he is Presidential.
    Because is is an experienced politician.
    Because he won the election.
    Because he has picked a diverse administration.
    Because he gives a positive, realistic message on topical issues.
    Because he put together a relief bill which is helping most of Americans.
    Because he is not selfishly motivated.
    Because he immediately started to correct bad actions which had been taken by the previous President.
    Because he has overachieved in getting vaccines administered and immediately set a new ambitious target.
    Because he behaves like a head of state motivated by what is best for the people in that state.
    Because he lets the appropriate people take the lead on specific issues.
    Because he has done more positive things in 70 days, than some Presidents do in 1,460 days.
    Because this thread being quite slow moving is evident of just how well he is doing.

diverse administration...surely the best person for the job is all that matters here?

i will need to look more into the covid relief bill but apparently only a small % is actually geared towards covid relief.

what were the bad actions that have been reversed?

vaccines, i will give him that. puts ireland to shame i think (i've not looked at stats on this).

what appropriate people have taken the lead on specific issues?

this thread is slowing because yellows are in abundance

handling of covid? how do you explain letting covid positive illegal immigrants into the country?

what are these exciting plans?

hate speech...thats a given, what president has?

taking jobs seriously - what does that even mean? by signing an EO that laid off 1000's of people with the stroke of a pen?

You were doing so well up to that point. Hate speech and you can't think of a POTUS that has?come on. Trump loved hate speech.

He even got you thinking that the media is somehow out to get the right? The right had control of everything, still have control of the legislature, but still you deem to be oppressed.

Trump was given an historically free ride in 2016. Everyone was just along for the laugh, there was no serious questions of his policies. Even during his tenure, it was mostly self inflicted. He constantly lied, about things that were always going to come out.

Stormy Daniels for etc. Just admit it and move on. But no, the guy had to lie, and feign outrage. He was torn apart because of his policies, he was always in trouble because he couldn't help but lie and big himself up. He always failed to deliver.

Remember his repeal and replace? That, in any other admin, would have been enough. To admit, after you got the job, that you haven't a rashers about the issue, never mind how to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Another incident in the Capitol today instigated by a black Nation of Islam member.
    This comes just over a week after 10 people were killed by a Muslim in Colorado.
    Tensions are on the rise in the US it would seem.

There were hardly any terrorist incidents under Trump but things seem to be returning to normal now that the Democrats are back in.

No, the thread is showing becuase, like all media, it the car crash that attacks the crowd. Nobody writes a story about everything being perfectly fine and people are compently doing their jobs.

You really need to go back and revisit the 1st few months of the Trump administration. Covid has somewhat rewritten history as if everything was fine until that Trump arrived without a plan, without a team, without a clue. Even his wife didn't move for 6 months.

His Muslim ban was torn apart by the courts, he gave jobs to his family against all advice, his gave away intelligence secrets, he had no idea how to deal with healthcare, he had no economic plan, he was a complete disaster.

It didn't get any better, but people just got on with things and he became somewhat accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

There were hardly any terrorist incidents under Trump but things seem to be returning to normal now that the Democrats are back in.

Yeah apart from the deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history. He was white by the way seeing that you're so keen to mention the colour of the perpetrators.

Another incident in the Capitol today instigated by a black Nation of Islam member.
    This comes just over a week after 10 people were killed by a Muslim in Colorado.

You mean there where hardly any Islamic terrorist attacks. There were plenty of white terror attacks.

We even had a group of right wing militias storm government buildings in Michigan, and then the Capital itself.

• Advertisement

Neither incident has been declared to have been motivated by religious ideology to this point, but, if so, what do you think Biden might have done which

If you think tensions are on the rise after all of the BLM and anti-lockdown protests of last year, then I don't know what to tell you. And of course, purely in numbers, Trumps record of some many fatalities as a consequence of a pandemic which he admitted he downplayed vastly outnumbers terrorist attacks in the history of the United States so there is that to consider.

Not to mention the attacks on asians throughout the last year up to and including 8 people killed at Asian businesses 2 weeks ago. And of course we know the part Trump played in rising tensions towards those communities.

And that is not to even mention the insurrection which resulted in several deaths which Trump himself initiated on the 6th of January. So, taking all this in to account, I'd say it's a safe bet Americans feel safer today with respect to the actions of the President influencing their safety than at any point Trump was in the office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Terrorists incidents increased 68% in Trump’s first year in charge.

diverse administration...surely the best person for the job is all that matters here?

i will need to look more into the covid relief bill but apparently only a small % is actually geared towards covid relief.

what were the bad actions that have been reversed?

vaccines, i will give him that. puts ireland to shame i think (i've not looked at stats on this).

what appropriate people have taken the lead on specific issues?

And yet another reason why we support Biden over the guy he beat by 7 million votes.

If the election was tomorrow, and you had a vote, and the 2 candidates were Biden and Trump, given what you know about both, who would you vote for? And why?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Vaccines rollout.

Support cheques. Infrastructure plan. Standing up against Georgias plan to stop voters. Stopping the pipeline. Focus on climate change. Standing behind GFA. Looking to make a deal with Iran.

But let's go with some things that Trump loved talking about. Stock market is doing great. Its not the worst in the world for Covid. His popularity is amazing.

You need nothing more than that. The difference between this admin and the last is night and day.

i dont agree with support cheques. i prob (most likely) dont understand them. but why not a similar thing to ireland. a subsidy to keep you employed rather than just a cheque.

infrastructure plan...thats fine. but what else is there in it aside from infrastructure?

whats the plan to stop voters in georgia?

how is stopping the pipeline a good thing? you cost jobs, you cost CO2 emissions.

how do you reconcile the above with a focus on climate change?

good friday agreement?

the iran thing, i'm not sure about. just know no one in the world should be allowed hold them. but its the entire basis of MAD so maybe everyone should have them? i've not thought about this deeply to be able to give a good answer as to why good/bad.

i dont agree with support cheques. i prob (most likely) dont understand them. but why not a similar thing to ireland. a subsidy to keep you employed rather than just a cheque.

infrastructure plan...thats fine. but what else is there in it aside from infrastructure?

whats the plan to stop voters in georgia?

how is stopping the pipeline a good thing? you cost jobs, you cost CO2 emissions.

how do you reconcile the above with a focus on climate change?

good friday agreement?

the iran thing, i'm not sure about. just know no one in the world should be allowed hold them. but its the entire basis of MAD so maybe everyone should have them? i've not thought about this deeply to be able to give a good answer as to why good/bad.

You don't seem to know much about any of the topics which have been relevant in terms of both US and Irish politics over the last couple of years.

You should run for President, didn't stop the last guy.

Maybe instead of trying to make this thread move faster, you should educate yourself on some of the topics and then you might not only understand why it is not very active, but that why you should maybe support Biden after all.

I mean, it's quite funny that we are often accused of thinking that Trump fans don't know that much, and here you are literally giving us lists of all the things that you don't know

• Advertisement
Advertisement