Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

perhaps we should move this thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=464

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

How is it a fashion thing? Why are they wearing the white masks underneath?

The white mask is the medical mask. The outer mask is designed to match whatever outfit they are wearing for the day. They must have racks of masks at home to match their clothes choice of that particular day.
    Think of a tie rack but with masks
    It's a fashion thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Man theres an awful bang of desperation here.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    The white mask is the medical mask. The outer mask is designed to match whatever outfit they are wearing for the day. They must have racks of masks at home to match their clothes choice of that particular day.
    Think of a tie rack but with masks
    It's a fashion thing.

And what is a medical mask? And how is it different to a 3-layer fabric mask that you can buy for €5 in any colour you want?

I really hope for your sake that you are trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Plenty of politicians have gone for the two mask approach, it's more effective in terms of limiting transmission. So basically you're annoyed by him having far more human decency than the previous guy..

It's also recommended by the CDC.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    What point are you trying to make?

Is it just because you wanted to virtue signal/dogwhistle about mentioning his age when you highlighted it first?

I hadn't seen anyone wear two masks before. It was then pointed out that some people wear two so the outer one matches their clothes with the inner one being a medical mask.

Other posters have confirmed this by linking another two people doing same.

Thee is no dog whistle about age. When media and medical people say that older people are more vunrable do you scream dog whistle?
    Facts. Not outrage .no need to white knight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I hadn't seen anyone wear two masks before. It was then pointed out that some people wear two so the outer one matches their clothes with the inner one being a medical mask.

Why mention his age then?

Both of their masks match their clothes. It's a fashion thing again. Look at the guy on the right. He got one to match his clothes perfectly. Very stylish.
    Unless it's purely coincidental but that's 3 from 3.

Eh, I already provided you with proof that correctly wearing two masks has a greater efficacy than a single mask. This is the most likely reason they're doing so. If it was fashion, they could just wear the top mask... Pretty sure they can pretty easily get a custom medical grade mask if they want btw.

I'm starting to understand how there are still some people who don't know how to wear a mask correctly.

Eh, I already provided you with proof that correctly wearing two masks has a greater efficacy than a single mask. This is the most likely reason they're doing so. If it was fashion, they could just wear the top mask... Pretty sure they can pretty easily get a custom medical grade mask if they want btw.

Iv already agreed with you.

See my post above: The inner mask is a medical mask, the outer to match their clothes.....

• Advertisement

Thee is no dog whistle about age. When media and medical people say that older people are more vunrable do you scream dog whistle?

You ignored the increased efficacy of wearing two masks that is backed by the CDC. You've basically ignored facts and concluded they're making a fashion statement.

See my post above: The inner mask is a medical mask, the outer to match their clothes.....

You've been provided with plenty of proof that two masks are more effective.... So no, we do not agree and you know that. You're just being pretty silly.

In what way is the outer mask not a "medical mask"? Are you aware of what the second layer of a 3-layer fabric mask is?

I see Hillary and Condoleezza have come out against Biden's planned drawdown in Afghanistan.

Two good enemies to have.

Hopefully Biden actually goes ahead with it and that this isn't all a chapter on cute hoorism.

I see Hillary and Condoleezza have come out against Biden's planned drawdown in Afghanistan.

Hopefully Biden actually goes ahead with it and that this isn't all a chapter on cute hoorism.

It's good to see healthy debate on important policies again.

It's good to see healthy debate on important policies again.

When does it start?

One poster made a comment, crickets since.

The United States won't be withdrawing troops from Afghanistan in any great number. They are duty bound to stay there to prevent the region destabilising. Afghanistan is also a strategically important location.

The last guy talked about withdrawing and was met with disapproval.
    No surprise to see the move again met with disapproval

When does it start?

One poster made a comment, crickets since

So instead of debating the policy, you are asking why there is no debate about the policy? While also ignoring my previous question?

What is your opinion of the policy?

When does it start?

The healthy debate started when Hillary and Condolezza questioned Joe's policy on Afghanistan. It's as if someone recently opened the window and let fresh air in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

When does it start?

Go start your own thread on BLM, cancel culture, or a tucker fan thread. I'll give you your first post for free...

So instead of debating the policy, you are asking why there is no debate about the policy? While also ignoring my previous question?

What is your opinion of the policy?

Its on the same comment that you quoted

Its on the same comment that you quoted

The post you subsequently edited?

• Advertisement

The post you subsequently edited?

Well yes. Obviously

Any thoughts on the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Remember last year when the last guy wore a mask that one time and all his supporters lost their minds and said how statesmanly he looked.

Funny how it changes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This one.

Ok, and?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fox News’ Brian Kilmeade tries to badger a 6 year old for not giving Trump enough credit

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/brian-kilmeade-roasts-6th-grader-for-saying-biden-is-doing-a-better-job-than-trump-on-covid/

If a teacher acted like this they’d call it brainwashing

Brian? wrote: »
    Ok, and?

I was agreeing with your theory of the mask to match the suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Susan Rice sulking also like Hilary and Condoleezza another wretched war monger.

If he goes through with it, fair play, but its easy to be skeptical, he's been an interventionist his whole career and sadly one of the few things that is bipartisan in America is forever war.

The Republicans will oppose vigorously despite 50% of their base supporting it:pac: while plenty of soft Dems will join in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My wife has a habit of wearing two. A white N95, more-formfitting one under a colored cloth one. It's not something which everyone does, but it's not unusual to the point of being remarkable either.

Last I heard, CDC recommended wearing two, with the bottom one being disposable.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/27/double-mask-variants-guidance/
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/reviewedcom/2021/01/28/wearing-two-masks-heres-what-you-should-know-double-masking/4295130001/

I've also seen people wear a cloth mask in front of an N95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

salmocab wrote: »
    Man theres an awful bang of desperation here.

It's just time wasting. There's nothing about Biden to point out that's truly a negative at present, because he's going about his job in a pretty boring and workmanlike fashion.

So bullshit has be created about wearing masks.

Who gives a crap how many masks he wears, except clowns trying to create some sort of (non) controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,292 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

everlast75 wrote: »

In a survey conducted in 53 countries, more people saw the US as a threat to democracy in their country than China or Russia.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »

Is that a Top ten of "political" posts or overall??

I can't imagine Top ten in any European country would be all politics..

Where are the Musicians and Soaps etc ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In a survey conducted in 53 countries, more people saw the US as a threat to democracy in their country than China or Russia.
    Lot of dumb people taking that survey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

eagle eye wrote: »

Can you tell us why you think China is a bigger threat to the democracies of other countries, than the US is.

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

eagle eye wrote: »

of the trio of the US, China and Russia which has intervened more in the democracies of other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Can you tell us why you think China is a bigger threat to the democracies of other countries, than the US is.

TIA

Depends on where you are. A lad from Hong Kong or Taiwan will have a different opinion than some fella from Afghanistan or South America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Depends on where you are. A lad from Hong Kong or Taiwan will have a different opinion than some fella from Afghanistan or South America.

I think it is relative. It until Trump, for all of US many faults, it could at least be counted on that democracy was at it core.
    It now very much appears that the very idea of democracy is under threat. That far from the US facing external enemies, the biggest threat to the continuation of the US as we understand it is actually from within.

And it seems completely incapable of dealing with it.

If US democracy starts to falter, then the entire notion of democracy across the world starts to be under threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭thomil

TIA

China has a stranglehold on the production of major electronic components and can strangle the world if it wants to. The current shortage of chips is a taste of what could be in store if China ever becomes really reticent. It is becoming increasingly aggressive in its foreign policy, though it is currently mostly using its economic clout for that. Just look at things like the Belt & Road initiative which is being used to economically ensnare countries in Asia and Africa.

At the same time, China is increasingly flexing its military muscles as well. The ongoing fortification of the Spratleys & Paracels is just one aspect of this. The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) and Navy (PLAN) have over the last ten years massively expanded their expeditionary capabilities. China now has two operational aircraft carriers, a third one, similar in size to the first generation of US Navy supercarriers, is under construction. More importantly though, China is also investing heavily in fast fleet oilers and supply ships as well as amphibious landing ships, having just commissioned their third Type 075 LHD. That's roughly similar to the US Navy's Wasp class landing ship. Meanwhile, the PLAAF is updating and expanding its long range bomber force, massively increasing its air to air refueling capability and beginning to field squadrons of stealth aircraft that are equal to anything the west has to offer.

More worryingly though are the changes within the CCP leadership. Ever since Xi Jinping took power, he's concentrated on removing the term limits and "safeguards" against one-man autocratic rule that had been put in place in the 1970s and 80s, following Maos death. In many ways, his actions are more closely related to Chinas imperial traditions than to Chinese communist aims. So, you have an increasingly outward looking economic superpower that is flexing its military muscles and doesn't even pay lip service to liberal western principles. I can see why many countries are worried.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

thomil wrote: »
    China has a stranglehold on the production of major electronic components and can strangle the world if it wants to. The current shortage of chips is a taste of what could be in store if China ever becomes really reticent. It is becoming increasingly aggressive in its foreign policy, though it is currently mostly using its economic clout for that. Just look at things like the Belt & Road initiative which is being used to economically ensnare countries in Asia and Africa.

At the same time, China is increasingly flexing its military muscles as well. The ongoing fortification of the Spratleys & Paracels is just one aspect of this. The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) and Navy (PLAN) have over the last ten years massively expanded their expeditionary capabilities. China now has two operational aircraft carriers, a third one, similar in size to the first generation of US Navy supercarriers, is under construction. More importantly though, China is also investing heavily in fast fleet oilers and supply ships as well as amphibious landing ships, having just commissioned their third Type 075 LHD. That's roughly similar to the US Navy's Wasp class landing ship. Meanwhile, the PLAAF is updating and expanding its long range bomber force, massively increasing its air to air refueling capability and beginning to field squadrons of stealth aircraft that are equal to anything the west has to offer.

More worryingly though are the changes within the CCP leadership. Ever since Xi Jinping took power, he's concentrated on removing the term limits and "safeguards" against one-man autocratic rule that had been put in place in the 1970s and 80s, following Maos death. In many ways, his actions are more closely related to Chinas imperial traditions than to Chinese communist aims. So, you have an increasingly outward looking economic superpower that is flexing its military muscles and doesn't even pay lip service to liberal western principles. I can see why many countries are worried.

Yet, 71% of Chinese people think that China has enough democracy.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think it is relative. It until Trump, for all of US many faults, it could at least be counted on that democracy was at it core.
    It now very much appears that the very idea of democracy is under threat. That far from the US facing external enemies, the biggest threat to the continuation of the US as we understand it is actually from within.

And it seems completely incapable of dealing with it.

If US democracy starts to falter, then the entire notion of democracy across the world starts to be under threat.

Democracy for itself perhaps, they haven't had any issues helping curb democracy across the globe where that democracy was seen as a potential threat to American interests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Democracy for itself perhaps, they haven't had any issues helping curb democracy across the globe where that democracy was seen as a potential threat to American interests

True, but for many people that only impacts others. What many seem to think has changed is that the US no longer believes in itself anymore, and thus far from bring a protector to many countries in the world is now in flux and cannot be relied upon.

The continued line from the GOP that the election was stolen is a major red flag as to what is to come.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    True, but for many people that only impacts others. What many seem to think has changed is that the US no longer believes in itself anymore, and thus far from bring a protector to many countries in the world is now in flux and cannot be relied upon.

The continued line from the GOP that the election was stolen is a major red flag as to what is to come.

I think that other countries have been seeing it as unreliable for the last few years.

Either way in many ways it should be seen as a example of how not to run a country.

Yet, 71% of Chinese people think that China has enough democracy.

Is that what the government polling says? Huh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I didn't point it out but it was Russia I was alluding to. I don't trust China either but I don't trust the US either.
    of the trio of the US, China and Russia which has intervened more in the democracies of other countries?
    You are talking history, in the present day with Putin in charge of Russia they are the biggest threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

thomil wrote: »

Talking about what China could do (and they are far from being angels) is a weak argument compared to what America has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

biko wrote: »

Have you no respect for the terms of service?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I thought it was already permanent. Anyway, Democrats should stay out of it and leave it to Facebook.

Is Donald Trump a conservative? Serious question, do you actually consider him a conservative? Do you agree or disagree with Facebook’s ban?

they/them/theirs

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Poor form for the official Democratic twitter page to tweet that.

Why?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
Advertisement