Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What do you think it all means? And what should be done about it?

Mainly people should pretend they are outraged

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Hes always making little mistakes in his speeches in fairness, like when he said "there will not be another foot of wall constructed on my administration No.1" and "well past time that the minimum wage nationally be a minimum of $15" that silly sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Never referred to Mike Pence as the president, try harder

He referred to Matt Gaetz as Rick Gates.

He referred to Tim Cook as Tim Apple.

He referred to the town "Paradise" as "Pleasure".

Think harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Hes always making little mistakes in his speeches in fairness, like when he said "there will not be another foot of wall constructed on my administration No.1" and "well past time that the minimum wage nationally be a minimum of $15" that silly sausage.

I know right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So the ATF is now the AFT according to Biden, the gaffes continue, along with referring to VP Harris as the President on more than one occasion according to Joe, but I guess that's not a sign of anything, failed to correct himself to I might add. Just imagine if the orange man said this, it would be breaking news on CNN all week.

99a.gif

The smell of desperation off this post is quite something :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

People smugglers. "Pay us $8,000 and we will get you to America".

Illegal immigrant. "That's all we have, why would I part with my life savings"?

People smugglers. "This is why"

Illegal immigrant. "Shut up and take my money"

in fairness, this speech is to new citizens, they would have gone through a long legal process.

And as you know I am no fan of Joe.
    ;)

I know right.

That Biden voters who backed him because of these campaign promises have been conned. I dont think theres much can be done, maybe they dont care or maybe they'll just defend the breaking of promises.
    What do you think it means? And what do you think should be done about it Leroy?

That Biden voters who backed him because of these campaign promises have been conned. I dont think theres much can be done, maybe they dont care or maybe they'll just defend the breaking of promises.
    What do you think it means? And what do you think should be done about it Leroy?

I don't think it means anything. I think people are trying to take a few slip ups in speeches to derive some form of judgment on the man's ability. Rather than looking at what he is actually achieving.

Nothing can be done of course, as Trump supporters were so happy to tell people. Biden won the election and if broken promises on the election trail were sufficient to get one kicked out of office, well that comes in 3+ years.

On the subject of broken promises. He is only in the job since end of January, after not being being any help in handover due to Trump being such a sore loser and having no regard for the future of the US.

And he, rightfully, put COVID as the No1 priority and he has delivered an that, far better than even his most ardent supporter could have dared think.

So given his performance so far, I think it only sensible that we give him the time and space to actually deliver on his agenda an then consider if he is fulfilling his role properly or not over time.

But a few missed up words, out of many many speeches he gives, isn't enough for me to start to question his suitability or ability for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I don't think it means anything. I think people are trying to take a few slip ups in speeches to derive some form of judgment on the man's ability. Rather than looking at what he is actually achieving.

Nothing can be done of course, as Trump supporters were so happy to tell people. Biden won the election and if broken promises on the election trail were sufficient to get one kicked out of office, well that comes in 3+ years.

On the subject of broken promises. He is only in the job since end of January, after not being being any help in handover due to Trump being such a sore loser and having no regard for the future of the US.

And he, rightfully, put COVID as the No1 priority and he has delivered an that, far better than even his most ardent supporter could have dared think.

So given his performance so far, I think it only sensible that we give him the time and space to actually deliver on his agenda an then consider if he is fulfilling his role properly or not over time.

But a few missed up words, out of many many speeches he gives, isn't enough for me to start to question his suitability or ability for the job.

Can't see why his approval rating is so high* if he broke all those promises...

*higher than Trump's ever was

On his speeches, hes not great but I dont think its indicative of his cognitive abilities or anything just a tendency to get tongue tied or losing his place on speeches or whatever. But reversals on campaign promises /policies is something different entirely.

• Advertisement

On his speeches, hes not great but I dont think its indicative of his cognitive abilities or anything just a tendency to get tongue tied or losing his place on speeches or whatever. But reversals on campaign promises /policies is something different entirely.

You actually think he should be judged on his delivery on his election promises after 3 months, during which he has deliver an amazing COVID response.

And bearing in mind that he does not have the votes in the Senate to get his policies through?

3 months and you deem him to have conned the electorate?

What campaign promises/policies has he broken?

In only his first three months he has already completed 8% of his promises and has 25% of them in the works. None of his promises have been compromised, stalled or broken.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/biden-promise-tracker/?ruling=true

Compared to the preceding president, he's doing a fine job.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/

You actually think he should be judged on his delivery on his election promises after 3 months, during which he has deliver an amazing COVID response.

And bearing in mind that he does not have the votes in the Senate to get his policies through?

@Aristotle also. I cant multiquote on my phone.

By all reports Biden has signalled a restart to Border Wall construction. There has also been no action to increase the minimum wage to 15 despite the Dems having control. I read an interesting article in the guardian in relation to it recently by David Sirota.
    Hopefully that link will work.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/01/joe-biden-minimum-wage-democrats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

By all reports Biden has signalled a restart to Border Wall construction. There has also been no action to increase the minimum wage to 15 despite the Dems having control. I read an interesting article in the guardian in relation to it recently by David Sirota.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/01/joe-biden-minimum-wage-democrats

There is absolutely no truth to restarting of the wall, the article that it stemmed from was conjecture from an ICE official (who prob just wants to keep their job)

• Biden has not signalled a restart to the construction of the wall.
    • Biden is still pushing for the $15 minimum wage to be in the next reconciliation package.

The Dems could push it through, but it would create total animosity within an already divided Senate and would have little real work effects as individual GOP would simply find workarounds.

Biden has stated that he wants a bi-partisan approach, for the betterment of all Americans rather than the Us v Them approach so distilled by his predecessor.

So he needs to take a apolitical approach. Take the example of infrastructure. GOP are opposed to it, not because they don't think that infrastructure is needed, indeed even Trump acknowledged that and the GOP seemed on board then, but they want to limit it to such small amounts that it would have almost no effect and this they can claim that the whole thing is a disaster.

That is what Biden is up against. So he needs to thread his way through the minefield. Given that he has only been there 3 months it is going to take a lot longer to see any benefits.

I don't think you understand the almost visceral hatred and fear that he GOP have about the minimum wage. They blame it on the people, see it as nothing but a stepping stone to communism and that it will result in most small business having to close and the majority of people simply sitting at home whelching off the state.

It is that context that Biden needs to work, and it takes time and work to enable change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Unbelievable

How can people defend that

Absolute farce leadership from Biden

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BanditLuke wrote: »

do you understand the context in which he said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Bless

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So the ATF is now the AFT according to Biden, the gaffes continue, along with referring to VP Harris as the President on more than one occasion according to Joe, but I guess that's not a sign of anything, failed to correct himself to I might add. Just imagine if the orange man said this, it would be breaking news on CNN all week.

Tim Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Tippex

SMH there are no words.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Tim Apple.

Airports in the civil war

• Registered Users Posts: 16,874 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i think he's doing a grand job. i dont really care about slips on stairs or during speeches. everyone's done it. i'll still use it of course to have a jibe at him, but it doesn't really matter.

i agree re giving him some more time, but...you cant be boasting about how many people you have vaccinated while still not demanding schools reopen for example.

immigration...i have made my thoughts on that clear.

as for guns, they need to do something. my thoughts on it are to charge the gunowner with the crime the gun was used for. that should stop blackmarket sale of (registered) guns, if it can be proven you willingly sold (or gave away) the gun. probably means banning 3rd party sale of guns as well cos that would be used a defense. and thats fine, you can have your gun but you cant give/sell it to anyone.
    for unregistered guns/no serial number, what can you do but charge people in possession of those guns to the max extent of the law.

make the consequences so severe that you wont engage in that.

was looking into this, they have the option if they want..the nuclear option:

The nuclear option is a parliamentary procedure that allows the United States Senate to override a standing rule of the Senate, such as the three-fifths vote rule to close debate, by a simple majority, rather than the two-thirds supermajority normally required to amend the rules. The option is invoked when the majority leader raises a point of order that contravenes a standing rule, such as that only a simple majority is needed to close debate on certain matters. The presiding officer denies the point of order based on Senate rules, but this ruling is then appealed and overturned by majority vote, establishing new precedent.
    As of April 2021, the nuclear option has not been used to end debates on legislation

the last time there was a president, house majority and 60 senate seats was under obama, but he only held the 60 senate seats for 72 days while the Senate was actually in session.

this makes no sense, over a 2 year period how can the senate only be in session for 72 days?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress

The nuclear option is a parliamentary procedure that allows the United States Senate to override a standing rule of the Senate, such as the three-fifths vote rule to close debate, by a simple majority, rather than the two-thirds supermajority normally required to amend the rules. The option is invoked when the majority leader raises a point of order that contravenes a standing rule, such as that only a simple majority is needed to close debate on certain matters. The presiding officer denies the point of order based on Senate rules, but this ruling is then appealed and overturned by majority vote, establishing new precedent.
    As of April 2021, the nuclear option has not been used to end debates on legislation

the last time there was a president, house majority and 60 senate seats was under obama, but he only held the 60 senate seats for 72 days while the Senate was actually in session.

this makes no sense, over a 2 year period how can the senate only be in session for 72 days?

Actually it has, For the covid relief bill a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

it was over a 1 year period. there was a special election election in Jan 2010 that the democrats lost.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Actually it has, For the covid relief bill a few weeks ago

if you cant trust wikipedia what hope is there?

if you cant trust wikipedia what hope is there?

Actual trusted verifiable sources, not something that can be edited by anyone

duploelabs wrote: »
    Actual trusted verifiable sources, not something that can be edited by anyone

sher when i googled that there were articles going back to 2013 (and prob prior as well).

The Senate approved a historic rules change on Thursday by eliminating the use of the filibuster on all presidential nominees except those to the U.S. Supreme Court.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/harry-reid-nuclear-option-100199

having said that, the wiki article does cover that:

In November 2013, Senate Democrats led by Harry Reid used the nuclear option to eliminate the three-fifths vote rule on executive branch nominations and federal judicial appointments. In April 2017, Senate Republicans led by Mitch McConnell extended the nuclear option to Supreme Court nominations in order to end debate on the nomination of Neil Gorsuch.

seems to be a case that the 'nuclear option' is slowly becoming obsolete with the ever dividing politics of america.

its not yet been used to end debates on legislation, but that aint true according to duploelabs

• Advertisement

sher when i googled that there were articles going back to 2013 (and prob prior as well).

The Senate approved a historic rules change on Thursday by eliminating the use of the filibuster on all presidential nominees except those to the U.S. Supreme Court.

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/11/harry-reid-nuclear-option-100199

having said that, the wiki article does cover that:

In November 2013, Senate Democrats led by Harry Reid used the nuclear option to eliminate the three-fifths vote rule on executive branch nominations and federal judicial appointments. In April 2017, Senate Republicans led by Mitch McConnell extended the nuclear option to Supreme Court nominations in order to end debate on the nomination of Neil Gorsuch.

seems to be a case that the 'nuclear option' is slowly becoming obsolete with the ever dividing politics of america.

its not yet been used to end debates on legislation, but that aint true according to duploelabs

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/03/06/senate-covid-19-relief-bill-vote-a-rama/

Happened here

Advertisement