Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/tylerpager/status/1383464846239272968?s=19

Trump supporters - SEE? BIDEN IS JUST THE SAME AS TRUMP!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

everlast75 wrote: »

Think Jimmy Carter was the most recent non golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

In fairness to Trump he did have a bigger handicap...

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Brian? wrote: »
    I think you’re confusing the Pentagon with the CIA. The CIA do the deception and the soldiers the pentagon send end up dead.

My bad, pentagon\CIA or whoever. (The exact department doesn't matter) My point is I don't believe "them" when "they" say they need more time, and you have the opposite view. Would you agree?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

My bad, pentagon\CIA or whoever. (The exact department doesn't matter) My point is I don't believe "them" when "they" say they need more time, and you have the opposite view. Would you agree?

It really does matter who “they” are in this context. The CIA are professional liars. The Pentagon are the military command who are really only responsible for execution. They implement the strategy of the Commander in Chief. When the Commander in Chief is an out of control egomaniac I believe them when they say they were caught by surprise.

If it was the CIA saying the US needed to stay longer I wouldn’t believe a word of it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aren't you supposed to wait for Trump supporters to say anything before you lay into them?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

biko wrote: »
    Aren't you supposed to wait for Trump supporters to say anything before you lay into them?

well as it is obvious what nonsense they will come out with it it is generous of other posters to do it for them.

That's convenient. Not even waiting for the opposition.

I doubt many in the opposition are worried about his golf game, the riots and the border are the focus.

For instance, Joe Biden said climate change has impacted the southern border crisis.
    But Central American countries haven't been invited to the White House climate summit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I doubt many in the opposition are worried about his golf game, the riots and the border are the focus.

Are you sure ? .... Last time I checked they were hugely concerned with mister potato head ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

For instance, Joe Biden said climate change has impacted the southern border crisis.
    But Central American countries haven't been invited to the White House climate summit.

From the article:

"Ober said the absence might be a sign the Biden administration is looking to avoid derailing more direct conversations on immigration. Mr. Biden has put forth a $4 billion, four-year plan to address the root causes of Central American migration."

Fair play to Biden for doing this. Makes sense.

• Advertisement

Your whole comment is built on a guess by Ober.

Why would those governments not be able to discuss two separate issues. They aren't stupid are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Your whole comment is built on a guess by Ober.

Why would those governments not be able to discuss two separate issues. They aren't stupid are they?

I would assume they're not stupid. It's obvious that the 4 billion and climate change are linked, so both interlinked matters would be best discussed with those who will be in receipt of the money. Makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Bizarre intervention from Biden on the murder trial of the police man.

He could have waited til the verdict was in to make remarks on the subject.

In Ireland, this would collapse a court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,442 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

www.imgur.com/CUVT4Pd

www.imgur.com/LvtXW2I

Being better than your predecessor in a narrow way doesn't make you a good president by any means. This thread feels incredibly apologetic of Joe Biden, despite not rowing back any of Trump's border policies in a meaningful way.
    He's throwing the USA back into the Iran deal, despite expecting Iran to accept bad terms despite the USA being the ones who left!

How many times have we heard the We're leaving Afghanistan! shtick? Longest war in USA history. I heard Biden say similar before.

HUFFINGTON POST 12/19/2010 10:54 am ET Updated Dec 06, 2017
    Joe Biden: We’ll Be Out Of Afghanistan By 2014, ‘Come Hell Or High Water’

He's desperate and the Dems will give up ground in the mid-terms if there is any will in the populace.

You’d swear the president colluded with Russians, fired public officials to defend coconspirators and used the first 10 days of his presidency to focus on the crowd size at his inauguration.

But yes, let’s pretend there’s no reason Biden enjoys the bar of low expectations. To be clear though, in spite of low bars he appears to be doing a quite capable job without being either the second coming of Christ or the harbinger of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Jury is sequestered so they won’t hear his comments but yeah, he should have waited until a verdict was announced.

And I take issue with the phrase the right verdict.

The jury is sequestered. He waited until they were sequestered on purpose. There is no possibility of altering the court case.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Jury is sequestered so they won’t hear his comments but yeah, he should have waited until a verdict was announced.

And I take issue with the phrase the right verdict.

Take the point about them being sequestered but surely he is adding unnecessary fuel to the fire here.

There is already a tense situation in that state and he was best to allow the courts to do their job.

Mind boggling.

Take the point about them being sequestered but surely he is adding unnecessary fuel to the fire here.

There is already a tense situation in that state and he was best to allow the courts to do their job.

Mind boggling.

Old enough to remember Obama being vilified for not “adding fuel to the fire,” as you put it, commenting on cases and litigation, instead allowing courts and prosecutors to do their job with regard to killings of cops.

Damned if you say something damned if you don’t.

Overheal wrote: »
    Old enough to remember Obama being vilified for not “adding fuel to the fire,” as you put it, commenting on cases and litigation, instead allowing courts and prosecutors to do their job with regard to killings of cops.

Damned if you say something damned if you don’t.

I'm not sure which situation you are referring to but Obama was correct not to comment on pending court cases, as is the norm in pretty much every other Western country.

Biden sees it differently. Bizarre.

I'm not sure which situation you are referring to but Obama was correct not to comment on pending court cases, as is the norm in pretty much every other Western country.

Biden sees it differently. Bizarre.

Well, you couldn’t convince a Republican of that at the time. They flat out demanded Obama address the nation about it and make the entire nation aware of the crimes, potentially limiting the pool of jurors https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/obama-under-fire-from-police-for-silence-on-officer-deaths

• Advertisement

Well, you couldn’t convince a Republican of that at the time. They flat out demanded Obama address the nation about it and make the entire nation aware of the crimes, potentially limiting the pool of jurors https://wjla.com/news/nation-world/obama-under-fire-from-police-for-silence-on-officer-deaths

Right. That's bad.

Now back to Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Right. That's bad.

Now back to Biden.

Did you ever comment on Trump dangling pardons etc?

No?

Anyway, Psaki was asked about it and she said she wouldn't comment on it. She was right.

As for Biden, the Trial is over and the jury are sequestered presumably?

Right. That's bad.

Now back to Biden.

Well Biden shared empathy with the family and the nation (Obama did the same in the link above in those cases, to the families), he’s in as good a position to lead with a statement after the verdict should a not guilty come down and violent animus metastasize. Fact is a large set of politically active Americans are glued to the case so it makes sense for them to connect with all of them in a way that hasn’t impacted the jury or the deliberation and gets out ahead of a verdict in so much that you are actually heard and considered at this time. The spin machine will spin that how it wants but no incitement to violence and no attack on due process. As the Trump administration master-classed, “Mr Biden was opining in his personal capacity, etc etc”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I agree. He should have said nothing until the verdict was in.

EDIT: Even if the jury is sequestered, he should still have said nothing till it's over.

Did you ever comment on Trump dangling pardons etc?

No?

Anyway, Psaki was asked about it and she said she wouldn't comment on it. She was right.

As for Biden, the Trial is over and the jury are sequestered presumably?

It's really an insufferable thread whenever you write up something you get a question back about Trump.

Do you realise how silly it looks now at this stage?

Well Biden shared empathy with the family and the nation (Obama did the same in the link above in those cases, to the families), he’s in as good a position to lead with a statement after the verdict should a not guilty come down and violent animus metastasize. Fact is a large set of politically active Americans are glued to the case so it makes sense for them to connect with all of them in a way that hasn’t impacted the jury or the deliberation and gets out ahead of a verdict in so much that you are actually heard and considered at this time. The spin machine will spin that how it wants but no incitement to violence and no attack on due process. As the Trump administration master-classed, “Mr Biden was opining in his personal capacity, etc etc”

No one is disputing whether he has empathy or not.

The point is that he commented publicly on an ongoing trial, something that is unheard of in Europe.

I don't know to what extent the sequestration is policed as I would imagine they can contact family members.

Either way, his comments are either naive at best, or populist at worst.

No one is disputing whether he has empathy or not.

The point is that he commented publicly on an ongoing trial, something that is unheard of in Europe.

I don't know to what extent the sequestration is policed as I would imagine they can contact family members.

Either way, his comments are either naive at best, or populist at the worst.

Your imagination is incorrect. There is no harm to due process here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_sequestration

Your imagination is incorrect. There is no harm to due process here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_sequestration

Looks like Biden can do no wrong for some people.

Obviously American culture just different from Europe.

Looks like Biden can do no wrong for some people.

Obviously American culture just different from Europe.

“Biden did no harm here”

“Ugh! He just can’t do anything wrong can he”

Calm down there lad.

• Advertisement

“Biden did no harm here”

“Ugh! He just can’t do anything wrong can he”

Calm down there lad.

There was a time when people criticised and hated all politicians.

But when it comes to America, people seem to be so one sided, it just looks irrational.

Advertisement