Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,422 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

walshb wrote: »
    Why are there more black people in prison percentage wise compared to white people:

Because percentage wise they are committing more crime and getting caught/convicted for these crimes?

Circa 35 percent prison pop in America are black

Circa 30 percent prison pop is white..

U.S. population is circa 65 percent white and 13/14 percent black.

Now, why do you think?

So you think that they are committing more crime?

If that is true, why do you think are they committing more crime than say, white folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

fvp4 wrote: »
    The colonisation of the non American mind by American culture, politics and news.

if you dont want to discuss american culture, politics and news then perhaps this is not the thread for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

everlast75 wrote: »
    So you think that they are committing more crime?

If that is true, why do you think are they committing more crime than say, white folk?

No no.

You first.

You don’t get to just keep asking questions..

White people make up 65 percent U.S. population. Black people make up at least 4 times less.

Percentage wise they appear to be committing more crime.

Why do you think that there are more black people incarcerated than white people?

I gave my answer.

if you dont want to discuss american culture, politics and news then perhaps this is not the thread for you.

It is the thread for me. To point out his mind colonised you are. American supremacism has no place in Ireland.

Anyway I’ve asked in feedback that you all get shunted into your own little ghetto. Let’s see what happens.

(It would be great to hide entire threads too but I don’t think we have the technology).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is the thread for me. To point out his mind colonised you are. American supremacism has no place in Ireland.

Anyway I’ve asked in feedback that you all get shunted into your own little ghetto. Let’s see what happens.

(It would be great to hide entire threads too but I don’t think we have the technology).

we're not discussing Ireland so I don't see what that is relevant. I've just looked at your feedback thread. pathetic is the only word that springs to mind. It must be beyond you to simply ignore threads that are of no interest to you.

• Advertisement

No no.

You first.

White people make up 65 percent U.S. population. Black people make up at least 4 times less.

Why do you think that there are more black people incarcerated than white people?

I gave my answer.

No need to get defensive! I'm asking questions in a polite way.

I''ve no problem answering.

I believe that there is systemic and institutional racism in the U.S.

I believe that black folk are targeted by the police system.

I think they are more poorly treated by the police.

I think that the judicial system is unfair to poorer communities, and the black communities are disproportionately poor.

Now, your turn.

Why are black people committing crime at a higher percentage than white people?

I don’t know. You would have to ask them..

Why do humans commit crime...

There are likely several reasons...

Poverty could be one reason. Being a bad apple another. Being drunk could be another..loads reasons could be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No no.

You first.

I gave my answer.

I think part of it is poverty. Part of it is systemic racism.

Poverty leads people to make bad choices. When it appears as if there is no hope to get out of poverty, then it is not surprising that people take the shortcut by turning to crime.

Lacks of good schools, good sporting facilities, lack of decent jobs. Lack of a history of going to further education is a big issue. What is being done to deal with these issues?

Systematic racism in that people seems to simply accept that more black people in jail must mean it's their own fault. They are, on the whole, simply not as good people as white people.

And dig into the numbers. What are the crimes that black people are being incarcerated for? White people certainly commit crimes, but many of them are given suspended sentences, or some form of leniency because of their background, where they live, the school they went to, the lawyers they could afford.

The system is set up against them. At every turn. There are plenty of examples of white people being giving a far easier time than a black person when confronted by the police.

You've requested that we all be put together and separated from everyone else, so that you don't have to interact with folk you can't relate to?

How "on brand".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A great idea .
    Put the hivemind in its rightful place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So, you've "joined" the site barely 5 months ago and you think you can tell them how things should be run?

Good luck with that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭francois

smells of cancel culture

Leroy42 wrote: »

You think systemic racism makes black people commit crime?

Also, can you point to anything today in the U.S. that precludes black people from resisting and fighting against poverty?

Have they not every right that any other person has, considering nothing in the U.S. discriminates against people based on their color.

Color in America is non existent in terms of laws and rights...

People are all equal. What different colors of people make of these laws and rights and opportunities is up to them..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »

Poverty leads people to make bad choices. When it appears as if there is no hope to get out of poverty, then it is not surprising that people take the shortcut by turning to crime.

Lacks of good schools, good sporting facilities, lack of decent jobs. Lack of a history of going to further education is a big issue. What is being done to deal with these issues?

Systematic racism in that people seems to simply accept that more black people in jail must mean it's their own fault. They are, on the whole, simply not as good people as white people.

And dig into the numbers. What are the crimes that black people are being incarcerated for? White people certainly commit crimes, but many of them are given suspended sentences, or some form of leniency because of their background, where they live, the school they went to, the lawyers they could afford.

The system is set up against them. At every turn. There are plenty of examples of white people being giving a far easier time than a black person when confronted by the police.

This is the key point - the different engagement all the way through the process drives the disparity in the data.

The white guy gets the "benefit of the doubt" far more often than the black guy.

Black person is more likely to get pull over or stopped by Police.

If stopped , they are more likely to be searched or have their vehicle searched.

If evidence of a crime is discovered they are more likely to be charged , and more likely to be charged with the more serious version of the charge - Felon vs. Misdemeanor etc.

When arrested they are more likely to be refused bail and/or be unable to afford it and so end up spending time in jail.

When they get to court , they are more likely to receive a custodial sentence.

It is NOT a level playing field.

As an example - Two guys walking the same street , both have a little bit of marujana in their pocket.

One is Black , one is White - Both have technically committed a crime (depending on the State).

The Black guy however is orders of magnitude more likely to end up in jail because of the aforementioned imbalance in the engagement process throughout the entire system in the US.

That's just the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Why are black people committing crime at a higher percentage than white people?

I don’t know. You would have to ask them..

Why do humans commit crime...

There are likely several reasons...

Poverty could be one reason. Being a bad apple another. Being drunk could be another..loads reasons could be given.

Poverty is going to be a major factor for many turning to crime. There's an interesting examination of the black-white wealth gap here.
    https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/02/27/examining-the-black-white-wealth-gap/
    Aclose examination of wealth in the U.S. finds evidence of staggering racial disparities. At $171,000, the net worth of a typical white family is nearly ten times greater than that of a Black family ($17,150) in 2016.

Just how large and persistent are these racial wealth gaps? Median net worth for white households has far exceeded that of Black households through recessions and booms over the last thirty years. While movements in white wealth are easier to see due to the larger scale, during the most recent economic downturn, median net worth declined by more for Black families (44.3 percent decline from 2007 to 2013) than for white families (26.1 percent decline). In fact, the ratio of white family wealth to Black family wealth is higher today than at the start of the century.

Or you can ignore that and we'll pretend that all black people are really just bad apples.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Biden just announced a plan to halve US emissions by 2030 and people are arguing about identity politics.

This is the biggest shift in environmental policy ever. It shows Biden is following through on his promises and not spending his time playing identity politics like some seem to think.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Brian? wrote: »
    Biden just announced a plan to halve US emissions by 2030 and people are arguing about identity politics.

This is the biggest shift in environmental policy ever. It shows Biden is following through on his promises and not spending his time playing identity politics like some seem to think.

Whilst it's absolutely the right move , it might finally give the GOP the fight to coalesce around.

They've been struggling to land a clean punch on him since he took office.

This might give them the "crisp talking points" that they've been craving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

You think systemic racism makes black people commit crime?

Also, can you point to anything today in the U.S. that precludes black people from resisting and fighting against poverty?

Have they not every right that any other person has, considering nothing in the U.S. discriminates against people based on their color.

Color in America is non existent in terms of laws and rights...

People are all equal. What different colors of people make of these laws and rights and opportunities is up to them..

You can claim people are equal but their access to opportunities isn't. People with access to money/wealth are more likely to be able to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to them.

My mother, born in the 40s, grew up in a council house. When she did her inter-cert, she was top of the county and her academic achievement resulted in being awarded a scholarship to continue on to her leaving cert and possibly to college. Her family were so poor, they couldn't afford to support while she did her leaving cert, even with the scholarship. So at 15, she left school to work in a factory and that opportunity was lost to her.

Sadly, her intelligence skipped a generation but it seems to be there with her grandchildren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

WrenBoy wrote: »
    All done ya happy with my first interpretation.
    Smee_Again wrote: »
    Just for me then because I must be a bit slow, will you quote where he says whites aren't pulled over in the US.

Where'd you sexbobomb? Can't find the quote? That's because it doesn't exist, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Biden just announced a plan to halve US emissions by 2030
    That's the Paris climate agreement. Ireland will also do this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It would be if there was any explanation as to how such a dramatic change could actually be achieved.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/politics/white-house-climate-summit/index.html

At the White House summit, which is taking place on Thursday and Friday, Biden committed the United States to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 50%-52% below its 2005 emissions levels by 2030. While the goals are a part of the Paris climate agreement that Biden rejoined upon taking office, they are non-binding and the administration has not rolled out a plan on how the US will meet them.

We've dropped about 15% in the last 15 years. Doing another 35% in the next seven seems difficult to attain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Thank god the adults are back in charge.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Whilst it's absolutely the right move , it might finally give the GOP the fight to coalesce around.

They've been struggling to land a clean punch on him since he took office.

This might give them the "crisp talking points" that they've been craving.

Absolutely, which is why it's so impressive that he's pulled the trigger on it. He's doing them right thing even though it could damage him politically.

they/them/theirs

biko wrote: »
    That's the Paris climate agreement. Ireland will also do this.

They are non binding, so they don't have to do it. It's a huge commitment

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Wow a plan, that's that then. All hail the president

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

BanditLuke wrote: »

You're right, a plan isn't much but when the last guy could even produce that it's at least something.

960x0.jpg?cropX1=0&cropX2=2048&cropY1=94&cropY2=1247

BanditLuke wrote: »

What would you prefer?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 82,433 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What would you prefer?

A plan in two weeks obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

What would you prefer?

Not getting windmill cancer.

• Advertisement

It would be if there was any explanation as to how such a dramatic change could actually be achieved.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/politics/white-house-climate-summit/index.html

At the White House summit, which is taking place on Thursday and Friday, Biden committed the United States to reducing its greenhouse gas emissions by 50%-52% below its 2005 emissions levels by 2030. While the goals are a part of the Paris climate agreement that Biden rejoined upon taking office, they are non-binding and the administration has not rolled out a plan on how the US will meet them.

We've dropped about 15% in the last 15 years. Doing another 35% in the next seven seems difficult to attain.

It seems extremely different. Which is why I'm impressed. I'm looking forward to the detail.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement