Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Poverty is going to be a major factor for many turning to crime. There's an interesting examination of the black-white wealth gap here.
    https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/02/27/examining-the-black-white-wealth-gap/

Or you can ignore that and we'll pretend that all black people are really just bad apples.

This is what they know. This is what they ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,433 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The house carried out its vote to give DC statehood.

Now eagerly standing by for my Congressmen to explain in very measured terms how this is apocalyptic high treason etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,422 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Wilful hypocrisy and attempted revisionism...

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1385244172249178114?s=19

everlast75 wrote: »
    Wilful hypocrisy and attempted revisionism...

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1385244172249178114?s=19

Mhm. Republican two step.

They will spend this Congress while they don’t have the power to pack in their own judges to rail against this argument. When they get that control again though they will immediately abandon this “principled position” and pack the court to their liking, and will cite Democrats as the reason for doing so. Which just makes it all the more paramount it gets done under Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You can claim people are equal but their access to opportunities isn't. People with access to money/wealth are more likely to be able to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to them.

My mother, born in the 40s, grew up in a council house. When she did her inter-cert, she was top of the county and her academic achievement resulted in being awarded a scholarship to continue on to her leaving cert and possibly to college. Her family were so poor, they couldn't afford to support while she did her leaving cert, even with the scholarship. So at 15, she left school to work in a factory and that opportunity was lost to her.

Sadly, her intelligence skipped a generation but it seems to be there with her grandchildren.

Yes, wealth helps.

And there are no barriers to any color in America and their wanting to attain wealth. It is there for all to go for..

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, wealth helps.

And there are no barriers to any color in America and their wanting to attain wealth. It is there for all to go for..

Why is it then the case that black men born to wealthy families are less economically successful than white men?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/21/17139300/economic-mobility-study-race-black-white-women-men-incarceration-income-chetty-hendren-jones-porter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Overheal wrote: »
    The house carried out its vote to give DC statehood.

Now eagerly standing by for my Congressmen to explain in very measured terms how this is apocalyptic high treason etc.

It’s not high treason, but I wouldn’t have minded if there was a trigger on its application preventing it from happening until after the 23rd Amendment is repealed.

It’s also very obviously a senate seat grab. If representation was the primary reason, retrocession as happened to the part of DC which was returned to Virginia is an obvious precedent.

It’s not high treason, but I wouldn’t have minded if there was a trigger on its application preventing it from happening until after the 23rd Amendment is repealed.

It’s also very obviously a senate seat grab. If representation was the primary reason, retrocession as happened to the part of DC which was returned to Virginia is an obvious precedent.

I see it as a rebalancing. Looking at you, Dakota, with your 4 senate seats that don’t even represent 2 million Americans between them.

Why is it then the case that black men born to wealthy families are less economically successful than white men?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/21/17139300/economic-mobility-study-race-black-white-women-men-incarceration-income-chetty-hendren-jones-porter

Well, obviously it has to be society is against them. Systemic racism is a huge barrier. It’s the fault of everyone and everything else...

That’s the only answer that you will accept..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Well, obviously it has to be society is against them. Systemic racism is a huge barrier. It’s the fault of everyone and everything else...

That's interesting. So if it isn't inequality and systemic racism that causes a higher rate of homicide and incarceration in the black population, what is the cause?

• Advertisement

Republicans would probably be a lot more open minded about DC statehood but the found it awfully convenient to brutalize them by Trump riot police proxy all last summer so maybe that has some role in their trepidation. I’m guessing they don’t have any plans for a viable candidate there.

You sure do answer either "I don't know" or sarcastically a lot.

How about you try giving an actual serious answer to a question?

That's interesting. So if it isn't inequality and systemic racism that causes a higher rate of homicide and incarceration in the black population, what is the cause?

You’d have to ask the persons that are committing the actual crimes. Only they can really know what caused them to kill.

We can’t know. The persons commiting the crimes are the ones that can answer this for you.

You sure do answer either "I don't know" or sarcastically a lot.

How about you try giving an actual serious answer to a question?

I don’t have an answer. And nor does anyone. It’s an extremely complex social situation . There is no one answer to a lot of societal issues. This shouldn’t need pointing out.

But it is clear you are leaning to blaming the white man and his systemic racism..

I don’t have an answer. And nor does anyone.

I've provided a link to experts who believe they know the answer. Perhaps you mean people who don't know what they're talking about don't have answer? If so, I agree with your first sentence.

I've provided a link to experts who believe they know the answer. Perhaps you mean people who don't know what they're talking about don't have answer? If so, I agree with your first sentence.

The study you provided gives views and opinions and possible reasons. Not answers..

The study you provided gives views and opinions and possible reasons. Not answers..

Wow you skimmed through the 106 page study provided in my link quite fast, I'm impressed.

Wow you skimmed through the 106 page study provided in my link quite fast, I'm impressed.

I read the link..not 106 pages.

Anyway, you’re hellbent on blaming white people for the issues faced by black people today, and I both disagree with this, and find it insulting to black and white people; and I would doubt I am alone here..

Your view may have washed in the 1960s. It absolutely does not today. And it’s more damaging a view than assisting!

Your view may have washed in the 1960s. It absolutely does not today. And it’s more damaging a view than assisting!

My view does wash today. It's what the experts of today say is happening. An internet warrior saying otherwise does make my opinion and the opinion of experts in their field less valid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I read the link..not 106 pages.

Anyway, you’re hellbent on blaming white people for the issues faced by black people today, and I both disagree with this, and find it insulting to black and white people; and I would doubt I am alone here..

If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today.

My view does wash today. It's what the experts of today say is happening. An internet warrior saying otherwise does make my opinion and the opinion of experts in their field less valid.

Sorted so. Their opinion....

And mine is the opposite. I find their opinion to be garbage. And insulting to black and white people. And a very dangerous opinion.

Now, they can feel what they like about my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Overheal wrote: »

Kavanaugh was never fit to be a supreme court justice.

Sorted so. Their opinion....

And mine is the opposite. I find their opinion to be garbage. And insulting to black and white people. And a very dangerous opinion.

Now, they can feel what they like about my opinion..

So, do you suggest that I should ignore the experts in their field and instead listen to you? A person who is not an expert? A person who does not take the time to read any papers provided to him as he's so sure he's right and nothing could change his mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,359 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Kavanaugh was never fit to be a supreme court justice.

Amy Klobuchar took him down while smiling.

So, do you suggest that I should ignore the experts in their field and instead listen to you? A person who is not an expert? A person who does not take the time to read any papers provided to him as he's so sure he's right and nothing could change his mind?

You can listen to who you like. Doesn’t affect me in the slightest.

We just happen to disagree. No big deal.

You think issues/problems that black people face today in America is down to systemic racism. And you post articles to strengthen your position .

I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Are you disputing that? I've provided many peer reviewed articles from reputable academic journals that say that's the case. Would you like to counter that by providing some of your own?

You sound like a school teacher talking to a class of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

You think issues/problems that black people face today in America is down to systemic racism. And you post articles to strengthen your position .

I disagree.

the difference is one opinion is based on the best available evidence and yours just isn't.

You think issues/problems that black people face in America is down to systemic racism.

I disagree.

No, I don't think that. I instead think that people should agree with the opinions of the experts in the field think unless they can provide objective evidence as to why those opinions are wrong. You have provided no such evidence.

• Advertisement

You sound like a school teacher talking to a class of children.

So that's a no then? You posted a gif which implied that I said something outrageous, and yet you can't even counter what I said even a little bit?

Advertisement