Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Because he is too popular?

Only the easy targets get the attention

Classic bullying technique.

So a commercial decision is being made that his popularity overcomes any negative from the calls to cancel.

And in reality cancel culture is nothing more that companies taking decisions based on popularity and profit, the very essence of capitalism.

As the likes of Tucker, Alex Jones even Trump have shown, there isn't a cancel culture. If the left can't even control the POTUS then it seems very unlikely they control everything else and just forgot about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It’s bullying now? This is all just noise by people objecting to people objecting to things. It’s effectively childish name calling by people who think that things should stay exactly as they are despite what others want. Cancel culture is meaningless drivel spouted by the like of Carlson because things aren’t the way he wants.
    Playing the victim is all this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The giant Bidens will crush us all. Run for your lives.

https://twitter.com/VinMan17/status/1389451299402383362

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No, because cancel culture doesn't exist. Classic straw man.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

salmocab wrote: »
    people who think that things should stay exactly as they are despite what others want..

Who says that these "others" get to make the decisions ? Why should the opinions of "others" be held to a higher regard?

I said bullying. Your comment with the section I replied directly to confirmed it. You must do what the others say or they gang up and cancel you. Sad

• Advertisement

Who says that these "others" get to make the decisions ? Why should the opinions of "others" be held to a higher regard?

I said bullying. Your comment with the section I replied directly to confirmed it. You must do what the others say or they gang up and cancel you. Sad

Others always get to make the decisions, that’s what democracy is. What a weird day question to ask. It’s not about one persons opinion holding more weight it’s about how many people hold the opinion.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,421 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Only people who watch Tucker wind them up each evening believe that "cancel culture" is a threat.

It's a diversionary tactic to bring focus away from 45 making a balls of COVID, the US' standing in the world etc etc.

Tucker - *jangles keys* - "look over here folks, Biden picked up the wrong flower for his alleged Dr of a wife"

I wonder if oul Tucker gets cancelled again if they will snap out of it, as if they were in some sort of hypnosis?

Why should anyone get to make any decisions based on that thinking. No laws, no rules, cause that just ones persons opinion. Are you really arguing for a complete free for all?

Nobody is cancelling you, you have almost complete freedom (within agreed guidelines) so say what you want. And others, given the same freedom as you enjoy, are free to question you and disagree with you.

Nobody removes your opinion, but it being an opinion means that it is effectively worthless. Unless it can stand up to questioning and scruntiiny why should your opinion be given any more merit that anyone else's?

You feel the majority are in opposition to you, but instead of trying to understand where the majority are coming from and whether you need to reexamine your opinion, it is far easier to simply say that everyone else is wrong and the reason nobody agrees with you is cancel culture!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They don’t get to make the decisions you just think they are. Something is sad about your post alright.

Brian? wrote: »
    Others always get to make the decisions, that’s what democracy is. What a weird day question to ask. It’s not about one persons opinion holding more weight it’s about how many people hold the opinion.

Cancel culture is democracy?
    Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,421 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Lol

I don't know about the rest of ye folk, but by finishing his posts with "Sad" and "Lol", to me he makes a convincing case!

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why should anyone get to make any decisions based on that thinking. No laws, no rules, cause that just ones persons opinion. Are you really arguing for a complete free for all?

Nobody is cancelling you, you have almost complete freedom (within agreed guidelines) so say what you want. And others, given the same freedom as you enjoy, are free to question you and disagree with you.

Nobody removes your opinion, but it being an opinion means that it is effectively worthless. Unless it can stand up to questioning and scruntiiny why should your opinion be given any more merit that anyone else's?

You feel the majority are in opposition to you, but instead of trying to understand where the majority are coming from and whether you need to reexamine your opinion, it is far easier to simply say that everyone else is wrong and the reason nobody agrees with you is cancel culture!

You are confused about who the majority are. These individuals who shout loudest and try to cancel opinions they don't like are only a fringe element without any credibility. Low status types who are supposedly all about liberalism yet are as totalitarian as they come.

They wait around on places like Twitter for someone to say the wrong thing. Hoping to be outraged. Hoping for the chance to bully someone whose opinions they don't like.

Probably less than 8% of the population are this type of sad creep. The majority? No chance

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    Only people who watch Tucker wind them up each evening believe that "cancel culture" is a threat.

It's a diversionary tactic to bring focus away from 45 making a balls of COVID, the US' standing in the world etc etc.

Tucker - *jangles keys* - "look over here folks, Biden picked up the wrong flower for his alleged Dr of a wife"

I wonder if oul Tucker gets cancelled again if they will snap out of it, as if they were in some sort of hypnosis?

A classic example of this is the Fox News obsession with Trans Athletes.

They've aired 86 segments about it since Biden was elected , but have only actually identified 9 Trans athletes in the entire country over the last 5 years , several of whom are no longer competing and none that are "Dominating the sport" as is the supposed big fear.

Distraction, deflection , fake outrage - Standard issue stuff.

They can't actually have a proper discussion about anything meaningful , so they pick on something obscure and irrelevant and expend massive effort making it the biggest issue in the world.

Lol

Cancel culture doesn't exist. Keep up

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You are confused about who the majority are. These individuals who shout loudest and try to cancel opinions they don't like are only a fringe element without any credibility. Low status types who are supposedly all about liberalism yet are as totalitarian as they come.

They wait around on places like Twitter for someone to say the wrong thing. Hoping to be outraged. Hoping for the chance to bully someone whose opinions they don't like.

Probably less than 8% of the population are this type of sad creep. The majority? No chance

Hold on. I take great umbrage at this accusation. I hang around on these threads waiting for people to say the wrong thing and then I bully them mercilessly. Am I a "sad creep"? Absolutely not. Well maybe. But you still shouldn't say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Tucker Carlson is the top rated “news” show on cable.

Why hasn’t he been a victim of this “cancel culture” who are silencing conservative voices?

From a quick google it seems lots of people have tried to cancel him.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/04/20/adl-calls-for-advertisers-to-boycott-tucker-carlson-after-replacement-remarks/?sh=4160a142e11d

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tucker-carlson-tonight-loses-advertiser-as-bowflex-backs-1170195

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/11/tucker-carlson-fox-news-advertisers-protests

you mean advertisers have realised it is poisonous to their brand to be associated with such an obnoxious individual. I would call that capitalism? what do you have against capitalism? are you some sort of commie?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No, they chose to spend their advertising money elsewhere. Purely a business decision from massive corporate entities.

You can't seriously think corporations deciding where to spend their own money is wrong? Can you?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Business's are free to sponsor who they want, usually because their message goes in place with their brand. Cancel culture (or the misinterpretation of the first amendment) is just a whinging soapbox from the people who's message steps away from that brand identity

Cancel culture doesn't exist. Keep up

Obama wouldnt agree with you.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/obama-calls-out-call-out-culture-not-activism-905600/
    While speaking at an Obama Foundation event in Chicago on Tuesday, the former president sounded off over what he perceives to be a desire among young people to prove how “woke” they are by judging others online. “This idea of purity and that you’re never compromised and you’re always politically woke — you should get over that quickly,” Obama said, to laughs. “The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws. People who you are fighting may love their kids, and share certain things with you.”

He continued to tie the issue to activism:

“I do get a sense sometimes now among certain young people, and this is accelerated by social media — there is this sense sometimes of the way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people, and that’s enough. If I tweet or hashtag about how you didn’t do something right or used the wrong verb, then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself. Did you see how woke I was, I called you out. Then I’m going to get on my TV and watch my show … That’s not activism. That’s not bringing about change. If all you’re doing is casting stones, you’re probably not going to get that far.”

I guess he must be a commie too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Lol

Explain exactly what you define as Cancel Culture so, as it appears from your standpoints you've made, quite a nebulous concept

What does that have to do with companies making commercial decisions?

Who are the majority then? No credibility bit apparently they are running everything for everyone?

How have you arrived at 8%?

What does that have to do with companies making commercial decisions?

Companies and brands are increasingly wary of the 'cancel culture' mob and falling victim to trial by Twitter jury.

One offensive tweet, one really crass remark, one literary quotation that carries within it the deep racism or sexism of its time, and you’re sacked — or, at the very least, suspended — as institutions and businesses rush to distance themselves from the intellectual leper.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I have updated the OP of this thread with a list of threadbanned users, I would advise posters to check on this before posting in the thread again or a forum sanction will be imposed for breaching same.

If you want to discuss your threadban feel free to PM the banning mod (or myself if you can't remember who that is and I'll point you in the right direction).

Companies and brands are increasingly wary of the 'cancel culture' mob and falling victim to trial by Twitter jury.

One offensive tweet, one really crass remark, one literary quotation that carries within it the deep racism or sexism of its time, and you’re sacked — or, at the very least, suspended — as institutions and businesses rush to distance themselves from the intellectual leper.

you mean companies are afraid that a majority of consumers will stop buying their products so they disassociate themselves from people like Tucker? that definitely sounds like good old-fashioned capitalism to me.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Who are the majority then? No credibility bit apparently they are running everything for everyone?

How have you arrived at 8%?

The majority are the every day people just out living and working. People who hold a variety of views and opinions working and living alongside people with different views and opinions. People you meet and see every day of the week.

Then you have the weirdos, the misfits who want to decide what should be allowed and what isn't. The outsiders, the ****ing eejits that make the most noise yet think and offer the least. The type of people who are no benefit to society. I would estimate that at 8 percent of the population.

• Advertisement

The majority are the every day people just out living and working. People who hold a variety of views and opinions working and living alongside people with different views and opinions. People you meet and see every day of the week.

Then you have the weirdos, the misfits who want to decide what should be allowed and what isn't. The outsiders, the ****ing eejits that make the most noise yet think and offer the least. The type of people who are no benefit to society. I would estimate that at 8 percent of the population.

so if it is just the 8% who are involved in cancel culture why are brands so scared of them?

Advertisement