Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

EddieN75 wrote: »
    The majority are the every day people just out living and working. People who hold a variety of views and opinions working and living alongside people with different views and opinions. People you meet and see every day of the week.

Then you have the weirdos, the misfits who want to decide what should be allowed and what isn't. The outsiders, the ****ing eejits that make the most noise yet think and offer the least. The type of people who are no benefit to society. I would estimate that at 8 percent of the population.

This remind anyone else of the most recent person to occupy the WH before Biden?

I mean its one of the more apt expressions of how many viewed him that I have seen written here in quite a while.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don't care what Obama thinks. I care about what is correct.

I never called anyone a commie.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Companies and brands are increasingly wary of the 'cancel culture' mob and falling victim to trial by Twitter jury.

One offensive tweet, one really crass remark, one literary quotation that carries within it the deep racism or sexism of its time, and you’re sacked — or, at the very least, suspended — as institutions and businesses rush to distance themselves from the intellectual leper.

I thought they are a brigade, not a mod? Or have things spiralled out of control.

You can't even define who they are.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

so if it is just the 8% who are involved in cancel culture why are brands so scared of them?

Have a read of Obama's comments. You might listen to him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Again, what do you define as Cancel Culture? It appears you don't know yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The source is irrelevant. he is wrong. you are wrong.

The source is irrelevant. he is wrong. you are wrong.

Maybe you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Maybe you are wrong.

i'm not. thanks for your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

i'm not.

The people who profess this and constantly reaffirm it, are usually members of the cancel culture mob.
    Its an echo chamber.

i'm not. thanks for your concern.

That makes two of us so

• Advertisement

The people who profess this and constantly reaffirm it, are usually members of the cancel culture mob.
    Its an echo chamber.

Do you think that it is not possible that there are people who were raised to and who live their life with a strong moral framework of when they see an opportunity to help someone or to do 'the right thing' they take it.

You guys seem to think if someone picked litter up from the street outside their house they're doing it for attention, if they don't like the idea of industry willfully committing harmful acts of pollution that they are a tree-hugger, if they are against hate speech that they are a snowflake and if there are a group of such people, that they are in an echo-chamber and members of 'cancel-culture'.

Do you ever do anything for the good of anyone else other than yourself or someone directly connected to you?

How would you describe conservatives rabidly against abortion if they aren't members of the cancel culture mob?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The majority are the every day people just out living and working. People who hold a variety of views and opinions working and living alongside people with different views and opinions. People you meet and see every day of the week.

Then you have the weirdos, the misfits who want to decide what should be allowed and what isn't. The outsiders, the ****ing eejits that make the most noise yet think and offer the least. The type of people who are no benefit to society. I would estimate that at 8 percent of the population.

In other words you simply made it up!! Sorry, am I cancelling your opinion by pointing out it is based on nothing?

You have decided that the majority are that and then you go on and say there are lots of different views. So is it the majority or not?

The misfits and weirdos? I think we can very clearly understand why you actually have a problem. You resent that these 'types' have a voice, when they should get back in their box and just accept that you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Its an echo chamber.

People who profess they are right? Does everyone not think the view they hold is right? Why would anyone hold a view they don’t think is right, that would be a very strange thing to do.

Do you ever do anything for the good of anyone else other than yourself or someone directly connected to you?

The absolute hysterics.

What are you talking about. This we know better than you attitude. Do what we say as we know its for the best. And if you don't then expect to be harassed and bullied into submission by the "mob"

How about no. Il live my life you live yours.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You resent that these 'types' have a voice, when they should get back in their box and just accept that you are right.

I resent that people are not allowed to have their own opinions without these low status losers jumping on them if that opinion is something they don't agree with.

You are arguing in favour of censoring opinions that you don't like. Think about it.

Let everyone live their own lives.

I resent that people are not allowed to have their own opinions without these low status losers jumping on them if that opinion is something they don't agree with.

You are arguing in favour of censoring opinions that you don't like. Think about it

You are free to speak without repercussion from the government, you're not free to speak to whomever you want without repercussion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,710 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Do you think that it is not possible that there are people who were raised to and who live their life with a strong moral framework of when they see an opportunity to help someone or to do 'the right thing' they take it.

Yes, I firmly believe that.
    You guys seem to think if someone picked litter up from the street outside their house they're doing it for attention, if they don't like the idea of industry willfully committing harmful acts of pollution that they are a tree-hugger, if they are against hate speech that they are a snowflake and if there are a group of such people, that they are in an echo-chamber and members of 'cancel-culture'.

I dont think any of the above.

I do.

Cancel culture is not about moral framework though, far from it.
    It demands that you think a certain way.
    Cancel culture has no room for differing opinions or contextual arguments.
    It is, by design, a witch hunt that has legitimate, detrimental effects for all those caught in the crossfire.
    The mantra is if you are not with us then you are against us and you must be destroyed.

You are arguing in favour of censoring opinions that you don't like. Think about it

But nobody is censoring anything, people are allowed express whatever opinion they want. And platforms, be it FOX, CNN, FB etc, have the right to allow people to use their platforms as they see fit. One agrees to certain T&C's, thus one must have agreed with them at some point.

You want certain people to be able to express their opinion, but others who don't agree are censored from asking questions or stating facts or opinion? Do you not see the circle you get yourself into by this argument?

There is no cancel culture. There is very clearly a new policy where opinions that cause hurt and hatred are no longer accepted and simply ignored. We have seen, particularly under Trump, is that simply ignoring them and letting them fester away without any questioning can lead to very dangerous outcomes.

It is very difficult to find a perfect solution, as everybody wants something different. But I ask again, if cancel culture actually exists, then how come Fox News is the No 1 MSM channel. How did Trump become POTUS? How come Alex Jones etc all still have access to the media?

Some are saying oh cancel culture doesn't exist then the next poster comes along and says people aren't allowed to say things anymore. They will be confronted. Use Trump as an excuse etc.

It's not quite totalitarian it's more like panic
    authoritarianism.

" There is no cancel culture ( unless you say something we don't think is appropriate. )

Leave people to live their lives.

Some are saying oh cancel culture doesn't exist then the next poster comes along and says people aren't allowed to say things anymore. They will be confronted. Use Trump as an excuse etc.

authoritarianism.

" There is no cancel culture ( unless you say something we don't think is appropriate. )

But Trump is the perfect example of cancel culture not existing. How has Trump silenced by anyone? He had the bully pulpit to himself for 4 years. He drove the news agenda.

Nobody is saying that people shouldn't be allowed to say things, but there are consequences if they do. You can call me an ugly, stupid ar53, but don't be surprised if I demand an apology. Is that cancelling you. No of course not, you are perfectly free to say it, and I am perfectly free to ignore, demand an apology or take it further if I deem fit.

If a workman comes to fix something in my house and calls me the same, do you know think it reasonable that I complain to his company about his conduct?

You don't think it right that Trump should be questioned, or even mocked, for the blatant lies and disinformation he peddles? But nobody actually stopped him did they?

IT really odd, because this cancel culture you appear to believe exists only ever seems to work on those that have said stupid, racist, crass or hateful things. I don't see anyone trying to cancel people just going about their day. Nobody was cancelled for voting for Trump, indeed rallies were given nationwide, and in some cases international, coverage.

• Advertisement

authoritarianism.

For the third time, what is cancel culture? You've dodged the question twice already so I am really starting to believe you haven't a clue yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

authoritarianism.

When you're talking about 'cancel culture' are we talking about the woke mob who were accused of forcing Dr Seuss to stop printing their children's books (they didn't force anything - the publishers were able to come to the decision themselves that the depictions of certain cultures was woefully outdated and offensive) or are we talking about Trump and other Republicans calling for a boycott of the NFL because athletes taking the knee during the National Anthem to highlight inequality?

But Trump is the perfect example of cancel culture not existing. How has Trump silenced by anyone? He had the bully pulpit to himself for 4 years. He drove the news agenda.

You don't think it right that Trump should be questioned, or even mocked, for the blatant lies and disinformation he peddles? But nobody actually stopped him did they?

IT really odd, because this cancel culture you appear to believe exists only ever seems to work on those that have said stupid, racist, crass or hateful things. I don't see anyone trying to cancel people just going about their day. Nobody was cancelled for voting for Trump, indeed rallies were given nationwide, and in some cases international, coverage.

Trump was banned from all social media. The president of the United States of America. A slap in the mouth example of cancel culture .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

duploelabs wrote:
    You are free to speak without repercussion from the government, you're not free to speak to whomever you want without repercussion

You aren't really explaining that right.
    You are entitled to your opinion but any person listening is entitled to give their opinion on what you say. That's free speech.

Trump was banned from all social media. The president of the United States of America. A slap in the mouth example of cancel culture .

Trump violated the rules of services he signed up to, on multiple occasions, and was therefore removed from those services, as were many people before and after him.

The fact that you highlighted that he was "The president of the United States of America" as a reason as to why he shouldn't have been indicates that you believe that rules are only for some people and not for others.

Cancel culture is not about moral framework though, far from it.
    It demands that you think a certain way.
    Cancel culture has no room for differing opinions or contextual arguments.
    It is, by design, a witch hunt that has legitimate, detrimental effects for all those caught in the crossfire.
    The mantra is if you are not with us then you are against us and you must be destroyed.

I think what you have described here is what others perceive a group motivated to complain about some persons actions to be.

Cancel culture exists more in the mind of people trying to shut down debate or the publication of someones actions than it does a group of people looking to be offended. And once something is charged as being a 'cancel culture' movement, then there is little or no consideration as to the validity of the complaint.

Take the example from Texas this week of the school district rejecting the ideal of teaching a more honest curriculum as to the experience of black people in America at the hands of white people. This was denounced as being an initiative seeking to 'cancel' the traditional version of American history.

What initiated this teaching direction? Videos emerging of a group of white children unashamedly using the N word.
    Now, if you are a black student in this district and you see the video on social media, and see your fellow students laughing and joking about it, and see the parents vote to stop any teaching which explained why this is so offensive, what do you think of the whole experience and who do you think feels cancelled?

eagle eye wrote: »
    You are entitled to your opinion but any person listening is entitled to give their opinion on what you say. That's free speech.

For breaking the rules that he willing agreed to?

Are you suggesting that rules and regulations no longer matter?

Is this limited to just social media, or should all rules be simply ignored? Twitter, FB etc are private companies, with their own T&C's.

Trump tried to cancel TikTok you may recall. SO it seems he is perfectly happy to decide what he wants to have people allowed to say but those rules don't exist for him.

No it definitely isn't. Freedom of speech pertains to being able to speak out against the government, not individuals or companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

No, its not. It's a common misconception though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,429 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For breaking the rules that he willing agreed to?

Are you suggesting that rules and regulations no longer matter?

Is this limited to just social media, or should all rules be simply ignored? Twitter, FB etc are private companies, with their own T&C's.

Trump tried to cancel TikTok you may recall. SO it seems he is perfectly happy to decide what he wants to have people allowed to say but those rules don't exist for him.

And the MLB, and Coca-cola, and the NFL, and

Advertisement