Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

everlast75 wrote: »

In a survey conducted in 53 countries, more people saw the US as a threat to democracy in their country than China or Russia.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »

Is that a Top ten of "political" posts or overall??

I can't imagine Top ten in any European country would be all politics..

Where are the Musicians and Soaps etc ??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,243 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In a survey conducted in 53 countries, more people saw the US as a threat to democracy in their country than China or Russia.
    Lot of dumb people taking that survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

eagle eye wrote: »

Can you tell us why you think China is a bigger threat to the democracies of other countries, than the US is.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

eagle eye wrote: »

of the trio of the US, China and Russia which has intervened more in the democracies of other countries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Can you tell us why you think China is a bigger threat to the democracies of other countries, than the US is.

TIA

Depends on where you are. A lad from Hong Kong or Taiwan will have a different opinion than some fella from Afghanistan or South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Depends on where you are. A lad from Hong Kong or Taiwan will have a different opinion than some fella from Afghanistan or South America.

I think it is relative. It until Trump, for all of US many faults, it could at least be counted on that democracy was at it core.
    It now very much appears that the very idea of democracy is under threat. That far from the US facing external enemies, the biggest threat to the continuation of the US as we understand it is actually from within.

And it seems completely incapable of dealing with it.

If US democracy starts to falter, then the entire notion of democracy across the world starts to be under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

TIA

China has a stranglehold on the production of major electronic components and can strangle the world if it wants to. The current shortage of chips is a taste of what could be in store if China ever becomes really reticent. It is becoming increasingly aggressive in its foreign policy, though it is currently mostly using its economic clout for that. Just look at things like the Belt & Road initiative which is being used to economically ensnare countries in Asia and Africa.

At the same time, China is increasingly flexing its military muscles as well. The ongoing fortification of the Spratleys & Paracels is just one aspect of this. The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) and Navy (PLAN) have over the last ten years massively expanded their expeditionary capabilities. China now has two operational aircraft carriers, a third one, similar in size to the first generation of US Navy supercarriers, is under construction. More importantly though, China is also investing heavily in fast fleet oilers and supply ships as well as amphibious landing ships, having just commissioned their third Type 075 LHD. That's roughly similar to the US Navy's Wasp class landing ship. Meanwhile, the PLAAF is updating and expanding its long range bomber force, massively increasing its air to air refueling capability and beginning to field squadrons of stealth aircraft that are equal to anything the west has to offer.

More worryingly though are the changes within the CCP leadership. Ever since Xi Jinping took power, he's concentrated on removing the term limits and "safeguards" against one-man autocratic rule that had been put in place in the 1970s and 80s, following Maos death. In many ways, his actions are more closely related to Chinas imperial traditions than to Chinese communist aims. So, you have an increasingly outward looking economic superpower that is flexing its military muscles and doesn't even pay lip service to liberal western principles. I can see why many countries are worried.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

thomil wrote: »
    China has a stranglehold on the production of major electronic components and can strangle the world if it wants to. The current shortage of chips is a taste of what could be in store if China ever becomes really reticent. It is becoming increasingly aggressive in its foreign policy, though it is currently mostly using its economic clout for that. Just look at things like the Belt & Road initiative which is being used to economically ensnare countries in Asia and Africa.

At the same time, China is increasingly flexing its military muscles as well. The ongoing fortification of the Spratleys & Paracels is just one aspect of this. The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) and Navy (PLAN) have over the last ten years massively expanded their expeditionary capabilities. China now has two operational aircraft carriers, a third one, similar in size to the first generation of US Navy supercarriers, is under construction. More importantly though, China is also investing heavily in fast fleet oilers and supply ships as well as amphibious landing ships, having just commissioned their third Type 075 LHD. That's roughly similar to the US Navy's Wasp class landing ship. Meanwhile, the PLAAF is updating and expanding its long range bomber force, massively increasing its air to air refueling capability and beginning to field squadrons of stealth aircraft that are equal to anything the west has to offer.

More worryingly though are the changes within the CCP leadership. Ever since Xi Jinping took power, he's concentrated on removing the term limits and "safeguards" against one-man autocratic rule that had been put in place in the 1970s and 80s, following Maos death. In many ways, his actions are more closely related to Chinas imperial traditions than to Chinese communist aims. So, you have an increasingly outward looking economic superpower that is flexing its military muscles and doesn't even pay lip service to liberal western principles. I can see why many countries are worried.

Yet, 71% of Chinese people think that China has enough democracy.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I think it is relative. It until Trump, for all of US many faults, it could at least be counted on that democracy was at it core.
    It now very much appears that the very idea of democracy is under threat. That far from the US facing external enemies, the biggest threat to the continuation of the US as we understand it is actually from within.

And it seems completely incapable of dealing with it.

If US democracy starts to falter, then the entire notion of democracy across the world starts to be under threat.

Democracy for itself perhaps, they haven't had any issues helping curb democracy across the globe where that democracy was seen as a potential threat to American interests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Democracy for itself perhaps, they haven't had any issues helping curb democracy across the globe where that democracy was seen as a potential threat to American interests

True, but for many people that only impacts others. What many seem to think has changed is that the US no longer believes in itself anymore, and thus far from bring a protector to many countries in the world is now in flux and cannot be relied upon.

The continued line from the GOP that the election was stolen is a major red flag as to what is to come.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    True, but for many people that only impacts others. What many seem to think has changed is that the US no longer believes in itself anymore, and thus far from bring a protector to many countries in the world is now in flux and cannot be relied upon.

The continued line from the GOP that the election was stolen is a major red flag as to what is to come.

I think that other countries have been seeing it as unreliable for the last few years.

Either way in many ways it should be seen as a example of how not to run a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,421 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yet, 71% of Chinese people think that China has enough democracy.

Is that what the government polling says? Huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 38,243 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I didn't point it out but it was Russia I was alluding to. I don't trust China either but I don't trust the US either.
    of the trio of the US, China and Russia which has intervened more in the democracies of other countries?
    You are talking history, in the present day with Putin in charge of Russia they are the biggest threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

thomil wrote: »

Talking about what China could do (and they are far from being angels) is a weak argument compared to what America has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

biko wrote: »

Have you no respect for the terms of service?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I thought it was already permanent. Anyway, Democrats should stay out of it and leave it to Facebook.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is Donald Trump a conservative? Serious question, do you actually consider him a conservative? Do you agree or disagree with Facebook’s ban?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Poor form for the official Democratic twitter page to tweet that.

Why?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Cheers.
    Just retweeted.

Extremists need to be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Here we clearly see cancel culture on a political level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I’m loving the irony of a mod who is more than happy to apply the ban hammer when posters get carried away on the motors forum but who later complains about his cult leader being similarly banned for inciting an insurrection.

Never change biko, never change.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Here we clearly see cancel culture on a political level.

He incited a riot and has spread disinformation in an effort to undermine a fair election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He incited a riot and has spread disinformation in an effort to undermine a fair election.

I presume Eddie in whatever name he used to use called Trump calling for the sacking of athletes who took a knee also called that political cancel culture.
    Utterly meaningless phrase to call out any protest you don’t agree with.

Suggesting other forum members are cult members because they are republicans is an outlandish claim.

I’m not suggesting it because he’s a republican, I don’t know if he is or not.

I’m suggesting it because of his slavish cult like devotion to Trump.

It’s interesting though that you equated being a republican with being in a cult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

Smee_Again wrote: »
    slavish cult like devotion to Trump

By sharing a twitter post to prove a point?
    A post by the Democrats Twitter page
    Your definition of a "slavish cult" would implicate a lot of people to a lot of topics.

It's actually offensive

Your definition of a "slavish cult" would implicate a lot of people to a lot of topics.

It's actually offensive

I'm sure if biko is offended he'll say so or report me to the mods.

That'd be cancel culture in action though, wouldn't it?

Suggesting other forum members are cult members because they are republicans is an outlandish claim.

You may not agree with posters political beliefs but you should not mock them as you would not like yours to be.

Cult - "great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cult

Republicans are not members of a cult. People who continue to support an incompetent, unqualified, narcissistic, ignorant, egotistical, arrogant, racist bully are members of a cult. Not all Republicans are in a cult as not all Republicans support Trump.

• Advertisement

It's actually offensive

You're new. You don't know that poster's post history and if that history is indicative of someone being heavily devoted to Trump.

Advertisement