Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I can attest that masks are strictly enforced everywhere. Hand sanitizing stations all over the place. Some even have actual hand washing facilities which I think should stay tbh. People were ****ing delighted to get back to work. It's been a year now of being open, we're good.

Of course. People are well versed in the correct procedures now. Everyone wants to get back outside and back to work. We all know what we need to do. The fear is over, life has restarted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Of course. People are well versed in the correct procedures now. Everyone wants to get back outside and back to work. We all know what we need to do. The fear is over, life has restarted

It restarted long ago here. I'll never forget driving down an empty las vegas strip. I'll never forget people queuing up for food. I'll never forget my friends being scared for their future. Not sure why some people on here are intent on pushing that fear. It's over, no matter if everyone is vaccinated, deal with it.

It restarted long ago here. I'll never forget driving down an empty las vegas strip. I'll never forget people queuing up for food. I'll never forget my friends being scared for their future. Not sure why some people on here are intent on pushing that fear. It's over, deal with it.

It's not over. Two thirds of your city is not fully vaccinated. You can continue to ignore facts if you wish.

It's not over. Two thirds of your city is not fully vaccinated. You can continue to ignore facts if you wish.

It's over. You do you.

To add. Our hospitals were never in danger of being overwhelmed. And they are unlikely to be now. So what should we be doing exactly?

It's over. You do you.

So you're now just cherry picking my comments to reply to? What's the point of anyone replying to you if you're just going to ignore the comments and questions that show that you're objectively wrong?

I'm just glad that most people in Las Vegas don't have an "It's over. You do you." attitude like you do, otherwise you would have another wave.

• Advertisement

It restarted long ago here. I'll never forget driving down an empty las vegas strip. I'll never forget people queuing up for food. I'll never forget my friends being scared for their future. Not sure why some people on here are intent on pushing that fear. It's over, no matter if everyone is vaccinated, deal with it.

You are in Las Vegas. You can look out your window and go for a drive to see what is happening. First hand, your own eyes!
    The response you get from some here will be no you are wrong!
    From people thousands of kilometres away!

It's nonsensical

You are in Las Vegas. You can look out your window and go for a drive to see what is happening. First hand, your own eyes!
    The response you get from some here will be no you are wrong!
    From people thousands of kilometres away!

It's nonsensical

So you're saying that the pandemic is over in Las Vegas?

To add. Our hospitals were never in danger of being overwhelmed. And they are unlikely to be now. So what should we be doing exactly?

Jesus Christ. I'm starting to understand how there are still people who don't know how to wear masks properly.

Jesus Christ. I'm starting to understand how there are still people who don't know how to wear masks properly.

Ok. As I said, you do you. In the meantime, people here are living their lives, with masks when required.

Ok. As I said, you do you. In the meantime, people here are living their lives, with masks when required.

Head on out for a steak and a gamble. Go enjoy yourself. Bring the mask and sanitise the hands.

• Advertisement

Yes, and you keep your fingers in your ears and continue to ignore my posts and questions where I've shown you to be wrong.

You are fully aware that you are wrong and are not man enough to say it on the internet. That's fine, I get it. No worries.

Head on out for a steak and a gamble. Go enjoy yourself. Bring the mask and sanitise the hands.

You are aware that you can instead answer the questions that he has chosen to ignore if you're so confident that he is right? Or would you prefer blissful ignorance as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

7 day new cases average in Las Vegas: 306
    7 day new cases average in Ireland: 407
    Percentage of population with one dose of vaccine in Nevada: 30%. With two: 41%
    Percentage of population with one dose of vaccine in Ireland: 25%. With two: 35%
    Population of Las Vegas: 634,000
    Population of Ireland: 4,900,000

You can draw your own conclusions.

7 day new cases average in Las Vegas: 306
    7 day new cases average in Ireland: 407
    Percentage of population with one dose of vaccine in Nevada: 30%. With two: 41%
    Percentage of population with one dose of vaccine in Ireland: 25%. With two: 35%
    Population of Las Vegas: 634,000
    Population of Ireland: 4,900,000

You can draw your own conclusions.

Yeah I can, we are living life normally. We weren't overwhelmed. Wasn't that the point?

Also, your vaccination stats are for the state of Nevada, population 3 million, not just Vegas, so why the comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,289 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm yet to see any verification that posters are where they say they are

Yeah I can, we are living life normally. We weren't overwhelmed. Wasn't that the point?

You are not living life normally. Because people are not taking low paying jobs that involve close contact. Because the pandemic is not over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Also, your vaccination stats are for the state of Nevada, population 3 million, not just Vegas, so why the comparison?

What is your point. You were stating that uber drivers etc won't go back to work because they earn more not working.

You have provided no evidence of this.

It was pointed out that a large portion of the population is still not vaccinated, so why should workers go back until the problem is solved.

Like asking people to back into a burning building.

We know that the vaccination rate is slowing in the US, it is becoming harder to get people vaccinated. We also know there is a large amount of people that refuse to accept that Covid is a problem - largely because of Trump but not exclusively.

I just find it strange that you have a go at Uber drivers for not going back to work yet have nothing to say for those millions not getting vaccinated which is delaying the entire process.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'm yet to see any verification that posters are where they say they are

Remember that guy last year that was living in Florida one week and North Dakota the next :pac:

Remember that guy last year that was living in Florida one week and North Dakota the next :pac:

Yeah you can check my posts. I'm consistent, been here (in US) for 7 years. I guess I could have made this boards account 10 years ago, in a different country, in anticipation of this scenario

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What is your point. You were stating that uber drivers etc won't go back

He believes that Uber drives won't go back to work, not because of the pandemic, but because they would make more money if they didn't. He now knows that this is not true. So he's writing many posts about other things to mask that his opinion is wrong.

• Advertisement

He believes that Uber drives won't go back to work, not because of the pandemic, but because they would make more money if they didn't. He now knows that this is not true. So he's writing many posts about other things to mask that his opinion is wrong.

She. But yeah I don't "believe" that, I know its true.its impossible to get an uber these days. I'm sure eventually they will go back to work. I'm not trying to mask anything. Just giving my opinion based on what I'm seeing here.

She. But yeah I don't "believe" that, I know its true. I'm sure eventually they will go back to work. I'm not trying to mask anything. Just giving my opinion.

Those two are not the same thing.

I asked you two questions that would take you 30 seconds to find the answers to. It would prove that you are right. You either did that 30 seconds of research and didn't like what you saw, or didn't do it because you prefer blissful ignorance.

Like I said, I have looked up the answers myself but I'm saving you the embarrassment by giving you the chance to prove that you are right or wrong using actual facts.

The thing that you "know" is right is wrong. And hearsay does not prove otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yeah you can check my posts. I'm consistent, been here (in US) for 7 years. I guess I could have made this boards account 10 years ago, in a different country, in anticipation of this scenario

:confused: Didn't say anything about you. That was just a funny example of a poster saying they lived somewhere when they didn't.

Those two are not the same thing.

I asked you two questions that would take you 30 seconds to find the answers to. It would prove that you are right. You either did that 30 seconds of research and didn't like what you saw, or didn't do it because you prefer blissful ignorance.

Like I said, I have looked up the answers myself but I'm saving you the embarrassment by giving you the chance prove that you are right or wrong using actual facts.

The thing that you "know" is right is wrong. And hearsay does not prove otherwise.

It's a known fact here that drivers aren't choosing to drive right now because many are getting unemployment that pays better. For example

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/road-warrior/uber-lyft-shortages-frustrating-las-vegas-visitors-2322130/

https://www.ktnv.com/news/coronavirus/expect-longer-waits-for-a-lyft-or-uber

Do you know better? Are you even in the US? didn't even post in this thread until tonight and I'm sorry tbh. I'll say it again, you do you.

It's a known fact here that drivers aren't choosing to drive right now because many are getting unemployment that pays better. For example

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/news-columns/road-warrior/uber-lyft-shortages-frustrating-las-vegas-visitors-2322130/

1) "There is no concrete evidence available" does not equate to "It's a known fact". You seem to use the word fact wrong a lot.

2) The article just suggests that some are doing it for that reason, not that most are. Like I said (and you refuse to acknowledge) unemployment benefit is less than the average income of an Uber driver. The article even says tourism numbers are still low. How are things back to normal then like you claim?
    Do you know better? Are you even in the US?

I have lived in the US recently, but it's not important. I am capable of looking up the actual facts and figures. I would not disregard your opinion of the pandemic in Ireland if you linked to the data of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

If a job doesn't pay better than unemployment then it obviously isn't important enough to be done. If it is important then it should be paying a decent bit better than unemployment. That seems pretty logical. Oh no people won't work for barely any money is terrible complaint for a first world country. US unemployment still isn't that much that a job not expecting workers to starve should be worried.

On Uber drivers there have been some well documented attacks on drivers which might be causing some to think they don't want to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Reading the NY Times article about the lack of job growth, there are lots of possible reasons why jobs didn't tick upwards.

A few salient quotes:

"Workers say the real problems are poorly paid jobs with shifting schedules, few benefits and insufficient safety protocols. "The shortage of restaurant workers we are seeing across the country is not a labor-shortage problem; it's a wage-shortage problem," said Saru Jayaraman, president of One Fair Wage, a minimum-wage advocacy group."

"Less than half of adults are fully vaccinated, leaving most of the population at continuing risk of infection. Millions of Americans have said health concerns and child care responsibilities -- with many schools and day care centers not back to normal operations -- have kept them from taking a job. Millions of others are considered temporarily laid off and say they are not actively job hunting because they expect to be hired back once businesses reopen fully."

And, of course, the QGOP in its endless 'we hate America' program, has been using this as a stick to beat citizens: "
    This week, the Republican governors of Montana, South Carolina and Arkansas said they planned to cut off federally funded pandemic unemployment assistance at the end of June.

That means jobless workers there will no longer get a $300-a-week federal supplement to state benefits, and the states will abandon a pandemic program that helps freelancers and others who don't qualify for state unemployment insurance. (Montana will, however, offer a $1,200 bonus for unemployed workers who take jobs.)

But federal regulations prohibit people from continuing to collect unemployment insurance if they turn down suitable work. And economists have found little evidence to indicate that unemployment benefits are discouraging people from working. "

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    A small blow granted but the dismal jobs report has given the Republicans their first clean blow on the president.

If president Biden is going to be gun ho with all these trillion Dollar Bills and the economic recovery is below what is expected it's going to be a big problem for him. He has to get it right.

I do like it that you have taken the single report from CNN to be the cornerstone of your view of the jobs report. It will be interesting to see how you deal with other CNN reporting.

As to being an issue for Biden it depends on the reasons behind the slower than anticipated upswing. What were the assumptions underlying the forecast of 1m jobs?
    What didn't Biden do that he should Have?
    What should he do now?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

"A lot of people are saying..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    A small blow granted but the dismal jobs report has given the Republicans their first clean blow on the president.

If president Biden is going to be gun ho with all these trillion Dollar Bills and the economic recovery is below what is expected it's going to be a big problem for him. He has to get it right.

If the vaccines work, economy uptakes and jobs return, it will be irrelevant.
    This is firmly Joes economy now?

Advertisement