Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,420 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yesterday a critical east coast pipeline supplying roughly 45% of refined commercial fuels incl. diesel, petrol, and jet fuel to the coast was shut down by a ransomware attack, believed to be done by a Russian hacking outlet. Emergency waivers have been issued to relax restrictions on transporting fuels by truck. The outage is expected to last days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,415 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1391765154283638790?s=19

See what can happen when you're not a fear mongering, anti-democratic riot baiter?

Interesting live footage of Venezuelan and Cuban migrants crossing the border live on Fox News and being taken in by CBP for asylum processing. One migrant man breaks down in tears presumably from the enormity of completing the trek.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-venezuelan-migrant-breaks-down-in-tears-during-live-fox-news-report-from-the-border/

Per the question why there and not a checkpoint I'd say the answer boils down to politics and the fear of uncertainty that a controlled checkpoint will turn them away, or hold them in Mexico. There has been no certainty about US immigration policy in years. Cuban Venezuelan and Haitian migrants are being accepted other migrants from El Salvador etc. are being turned away; its the former who crossed the border like this and orderly into custody but at an unmarked crossing.

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    How the threats to Biden’s presidency got real this week

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/05/08/how-the-threats-to-bidens-presidency-got-real-this-week-492776

Interesting article from politico for anyone on how things just got real for president Biden this week.

For such an esteemed writer, RYAN LIZZA sure does use a discrediting amount of bold. JESUS CHRIST :pac:

This isn't an article it's an amalgamation of blips. There's no coherent beginning middle end or thesis to this mess, it's a pages long stream of consciousness and confusing jumping off points to dozens of other articles. It's a news podcast in written word. If you could explain how you thought 'things got real for Biden' yourself that would be a more honest starting point for a discussion. So, how did they get real? What are the 'things' and how were they not 'real' before this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How the threats to Biden’s presidency got real this week

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/05/08/how-the-threats-to-bidens-presidency-got-real-this-week-492776

Interesting article from politico for anyone on how things just got real for president Biden this week.

what is you opinion?

• Advertisement

what is you opinion?

Opinion? What is that? Is that the same thing as sifting through hundreds of positive articles about Biden and ignoring them all until I find one that's somewhat negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Opinion? What is that? Is that the same thing as sifting through hundreds of positive articles about Biden and ignoring them all until I find one that's somewhat negative?

Hard to have an opinion on something you haven't read.

If they did, they'd have seen that it was more a run down of various topics with links to them rather than an outright article itself and the poster would have seen the bit about Trump still asking people several times a day if there is any news from the count in Arizona and given that that makes him look sad and delusional, it wouldn't be the best thing to do, to let people know about that.

Or the link to a video of Ted Cruz telling people he led the fight against Biden in the senate on Jan 6th isn't a great look for Republicans, or it shouldn't be.
    Or the comparison of what MTG and (accused of paying for sex with a minor) Matt Gaetz are up to being like something that was scripted in the WWE in the 1980's.

Or elsewhere the GOP continuing their cancel culture tour going after more people who voted to impeach Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I wasted a few minutes of my life, I really should have seen the clue to the ridiculousness of it when I read just got real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The Biden administration will reinstate anti-discrimination protections for LGBTQ people, especially transgender people, that had been narrowed under the Trump administration, Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra confirmed Monday.

What a monster.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Its incredible really. Moreso because you forget Trump did most of this stuff because Obama lived rent free in his head rather than actually believing it was the right thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

Faugheen wrote: »
    Its incredible really. Moreso because you forget Trump did most of this stuff because Obama lived rent free in his head rather than actually believing it was the right thing to do.

I never understood why Trump hated Obama so much to begin with. He seemed to hate Obama even before that WH dinner.

Anyway, it's nice to get back to a US president who just gets on with his job and doesn't constantly harp on about his predecessor.

Overheal wrote: »
    Literally every other year, and in some cases yearly with some states having off-beat elections.
    nothing roughly about it. There are federal elections at least every 2 years. there are sometimes federal election on off-years as well when special elections required due a death or resignation.
    We had city elections on Saturday. Mayor, city council, and a couple of propositions.

Sucks to be youse lads! Any reason they are not all held in the same year? Too much administration, too complex? Seems like death by politics over there.
    Overheal wrote: »
    I view this as an utter embarrassment to the United States of America.*

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/1389234127954751488?s=20

He knowingly committed criminal acts to undermine the integrity of our elections,

https://www.yahoo.com/news/her-ballot-didnt-count-she-142949302.html

She wasn't attempting to do anything wrong, and the point of a provisional ballot is that if you can't prove your eligibility to vote on election day, you usually have in most cases a week to get your provisional ballot certified or its rejected. That's it, it's not the intent of the law (or even apparently of the law written in TX) that failure to do so is tantamount to attempted fraudulent voting. Yet somehow this person was convicted of doing so. Presumably forewent a trial for cost and there being no dispute of the facts involved, didn't expect a judge to seemingly legislate from the bench at her.

(*also, the Digiorno Crossaint Pizza. What the f*ck. Our culture is meme'ing itself)

Well one was a convicted felon and the other not, so not really a fair comparison. Though as an aside not allowing someone who has a conviction and has been released from prison a vote is a disgrace in my humble.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

briany wrote: »
    I never understood why Trump hated Obama so much to begin with. He seemed to hate Obama even before that WH dinner.

Anyway, it's nice to get back to a US president who just gets on with his job and doesn't constantly harp on about his predecessor.

Because he was all the things Trump wasn't: Intelligent, charismatic, well educated, urbane, faithful to his wife, self made.

Trump couldn't stand Obama because he wasn't a classless oaf like himself.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Despite your opinions on both Obama and Trump they were fantastic communicators.

An ability the current president sadly doesn't posses.

Trump is an awful communicator (bleach anyone?) great showman, there's a big difference, no one wants P.T. Barnum running the country.

Biden is letting his actions do the talking at the moment and has been doing rather excellent.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't know if I'll say he's been doing "rather excellent", but at least he makes standard. He just looks great compared to his predecessor.
    It's still a bit early in his tenure to see if he's outstanding. I don't think he's hit any particularly difficult or unanticipated issues yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Despite your opinions on both Obama and Trump they were fantastic communicators.

I'm a fan of neither past President and haven't made up my mind either way about the current bloke.

But Trump was an appalling communicator by any yardstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Anyone who thinks Trump was a good communicator, needs their head examined.

Ebb_QtFWkAA3Z-I.jpg

Like seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Obama and Trump they were fantastic communicators.

tenor-7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Trump was dreadful.
    Whiney, confusing, obnoxious and rude.

Biden outsmarted trump in the debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What is your judgement basis for a good communicator and how does Obama and Trump compare to Biden on that scale?

Maybe limit your answer to the top three properties you used so we can get a taste of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was thinking about the GOP pushing for Liz Cheney to be removed from her position, it strikes me that removing someone for not agreeing with you is exactly what they also claim cancel culture is. I realise that self awareness isn’t a big thing anymore but surely their supporters are capable of joining the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Indeed such a wordsmith

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

duploelabs wrote: »
    Indeed such a wordsmith

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.”

Someone needs to make a book of his drivel now that it's safe to enjoy the lunacy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Be interesting to see Biden administration reaction to Israeli Palestinian violence. It would take a brave (and probably stupid) president to criticise Israel . The Israeli vote is huge in the States !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Celticfire

Someone needs to make a book of his drivel now that it's safe to enjoy the lunacy.

Joe Biden: “We cannot let this, we’ve never allowed any crisis from the Civil War straight through to the pandemic of 17, all the way around, 16, we have never, never let our democracy sakes second fiddle, way they, we can both have a democracy and … correct the public health.”

I guess Joe could write the introduction, set the stage if you will.

Celticfire wrote: »
    Joe Biden: “We cannot let this, we’ve never allowed any crisis from the Civil War straight through to the pandemic of 17, all the way around, 16, we have never, never let our democracy sakes second fiddle, way they, we can both have a democracy and … correct the public health.”

I guess Joe could write the introduction, set the stage if you will.

do you have a source for that quote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

do you have a source for that quote?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/biden-pandemic-statement/

Context given below:
    Biden was referring to the early 20th century influenza outbreak commonly known as the “Spanish flu,” and (like President Donald Trump consistently does) he misstated that it began in “’17” (i.e., 1917) rather than 1918. Then he interrupted his answer a few words later to correct himself, but his correction was also erroneous, placing the outbreak a year earlier (in 1916) rather than a year later (in 1918).

Biden also slurred the word “take” such that it sounded like “sakes,” and he quickly said the words “way they” after “second fiddle,” as if he were going to pursue a different line of expression before stating that, “We can both have a democracy, and elections, and at the same time protect the public health.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I listened to that. Taken in context, it is a nothingburger. It's why it is quoted out of context.

amazing the difference that context makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I too look forward to Bidens reaction.

A tough week after his own economy struggling to recover with the poor jobs performance and now escalated violence in isreal and Palestine.

The heat is turning up on this administration.

Who would like to see replace him?

Advertisement