Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

Or are you making stuff up again?
    In a week where Biden said people should have their benefits cut if they don't take a job...

Just to answer my own question. What Biden actually said was that people who are receiving unemployment benefits must either take a job that is suitable or lose their benefits.

That is currently the law and has been the law for the past 30+ years in America. Why are you suddenly upset about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just to answer my own question. What Biden actually said was that people who are receiving unemployment benefits must either take a job that is suitable or lose their benefits.

That is currently the law and has been the law for the past 30+ years in America. Why are you suddenly upset about this?

I'm not upset lol.

Appalling to support such a law which would put so many into dire poverty.

I'm not upset lol.

Appalling to support such a law which would put so many into dire poverty.

How? What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

performative outrage

How? What? :confused:

Losing benefits equals poverty. Keep up.

• Advertisement

Losing benefits equals poverty. Keep up.

You're aware that Ireland and most of the western world has the same law right?

You're aware that Ireland and most of the western world has the same law right?

This is a Biden thread. I don't agree with cutting welfare for anyone. Biden does.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This is a Biden thread. I don't agree with cutting welfare for anyone. Biden does.

So Biden isn't enough left wing for you?

Ah yes, the old "this is a Biden thread so I can't use counterexamples" rhetoric.

Yes, this is a Biden thread. All of the various presidents over the past 30+ years, including Biden, have been in support of means-tested unemployment benefit and it also has bipartisan support. Why are you suddenly upset about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well I don’t have interest in American politics and don’t understand why anyone would but here’s my outrage over something Biden did that I’ve never been outraged before about.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the old "this is a Biden thread so I can't use counterexamples" rhetoric.

Yes, this is a Biden thread. All of the various presidents over the past 30+ years, including Biden, have been in support of means-tested unemployment benefit and it also has bipartisan support. Why are you suddenly upset about it?

This just proves the point that both parties in America share similar economic policies.

There is no true centre left party in the States for the public to vote for.

And given that Biden said this a few days ago, I'm not suddenly upset. It's a relevant point for a Biden thread. Stop trying to bully me.

This just proves the point that both parties in America share similar economic policies.

And given that Biden said this a few days ago, I'm not suddenly upset. It's a relevant point for a Biden thread. Stop trying to bully me.

nobody has claimed there is. Well except those who think "left" is some sort of insult.

You believe a centre left party would not want unemployment benefit to be means tested? Which centre left politicians have said that?

RopeADope wrote: »
    What's Trump got to do with it, or the Republicans?

You incorrectly suggested something about Biden, and I demonstrated why it was incorrect.

RopeADope wrote: »
    What's Trump got to do with it, or the Republicans?

Anyone else hear that in a Tina Turner voice?

Anyhoo, most presidents are compared to their immediate predecessor

everlast75 wrote: »
    Anyone else hear that in a Tina Turner voice?

Anyhoo, most presidents are compared to their immediate predecessor

Yes, I started typing out the next lyrics but decided it would be dropping my post content to their standards. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Can you imagine the fits of absolute craziness people would be having if Trump came out and said no need to wear masks indoors anymore.

Can you imagine the fits of absolute craziness people would be having if Trump came out and said no need to wear masks indoors anymore.

maybe they would have the sense to post about it on the trump thread though?

They wouldn't be if medical experts stated that it was no longer necessary.

After receiving both doses of the vaccine and with the backing of the CDC is pretty different to Trump who actively encouraged it mid pandemic...

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm missing your point here but....

1) He did say that - during a pandemic when no vaccines had been administered, despite masks being recommended.
    At last count, over 550,000 have died from COVID19 in the U.S.

2) Biden has only said so on the advice of the CDC and only for those that have been vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I'm really enjoying the drive-bys from the Trump cultists, Biden is obviously performing quite well so they've been reduced to posting one liners, often without context, and then running away.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    they've been reduced to posting one liners, often without context, and then running away.

As is tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trump undermined the use of masks enough while 10,000 a week were dying.
    Biden is acknowledging the progress that has been made in terms of the control of the virus and the quantities which have been vaccinated.

Do you still think he should be directing policy based on facts from 12 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

They absolutely do not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

There's so much wrong here that I do wonder if maybe we shouldn't let everyone have access to the internet for their own good.

For starters, that isn't what Biden said. He said vaccinated people don't need to wear masks indoors. What you think he said and what he actually said are very, very different. In fact, he said it multiple times in multiple forms and the advice was underpinned by the CDC so I don't know how anyone could be this confused about it. It's really very simple - so simple that even the guys in here who get their news from conspiracy theorists and misinformation sources didn't get as confused as you did.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In a week where Biden said people should have their benefits cut if they don't take a job and no condemnation of Israel's appalling bombardment of Palestinians, can Irish people please stop saying Biden is left wing.

What a straw man!! That's an absolute beauty.

People have spent years saying the democrats weren't left wing, only trumpets and wing nuts think they are. And you come along with this absolute hum dinger!

That's me entertained for the day

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

After receiving both doses of the vaccine and with the backing of the CDC is pretty different to Trump who actively encouraged it mid pandemic...

It's like comparing:

"Everybody can now jump out of this plane"

to

"Everyone wearing a parachute can jump out of this plane. The rest of you need to wait until we land."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,240 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

maybe they would have the sense to post about it on the trump thread though?

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump undermined the use of masks enough while 10,000 a week were dying.
    Biden is acknowledging the progress that has been made in terms of the control of the virus and the quantities which have been vaccinated.

Do you still think he should be directing policy based on facts from 12 months ago?

Should be no mask wearing here in that case

Advertisement