Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It is the usual US playbook. Say nothing for a few days, let Israel carry out whatever operations it wants to and tell them to back off then Israel feel they have got whatever they want done, done.

Nothing to do with Biden, this is US policy and Biden, Trump, Obama etc are not going to change it.

It's everything to do with Biden, he's the president. He can change that playbook if he wants to. He won't as he's staunchly pro-Israel.

I know this thread is a big Biden/Democrat love in, but the above post is ridiculous in its attempts to take blame from Biden for his shocking response to the violence in Gaza.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Hhhhh wrote: »
    It's everything to do with Biden, he's the president. He can change that playbook if he wants to. He won't as he's staunchly pro-Israel.

I know this thread is a big Biden/Democrat love in, but the above post is ridiculous in its attempts to take blame from Biden for his shocking response to the violence in Gaza.

He called for a ceasefire, what more can he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its not about shifting the blame. Its about facing the reality. US has significant interests in Israel, its it hub in the ME.

A few bombs against 'terrorists' is not going to see them jeopardise that.

Of course it should, and a POTUS could, but they won't be allowed and, strategically it doesn't make sense.

Bidens response is entirely in line with US policy. It is no different that all the other POTUS.

I don't like it, don't agree with it but at no point did I ever think Biden, or indeed Trump if he won would be doing anything different.

Also this is no love in. People, as you yourself just proved are free to point out Bidens failings and shortcomings. ATM, overall Biden is doing a good job so criticism is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hmm. That letter from the retired military types that babbled on about communists in the wife's jam being led by Biden, included a signature from "Rear Adm. Jack Mehoff." Oops.

https://www.rawstory.com/retired-generals-who-accused-joe-biden-of-being-a-communist-were-tricked-by-imposter-who-called-himself-rear-adm-jack-meehoff/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

With regards the Nord Stream 2 , can understand the hesitancy regarding sanctions. At 90%+ completion rate it would be difficult to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Igotadose wrote: »
    Hmm. That letter from the retired military types that babbled on about communists in the wife's jam being led by Biden, included a signature from "Rear Adm. Jack Mehoff." Oops.

https://www.rawstory.com/retired-generals-who-accused-joe-biden-of-being-a-communist-were-tricked-by-imposter-who-called-himself-rear-adm-jack-meehoff/

If only it were true. It is certainly populated by W. Anchors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The escalating conflict is of "extreme concern" to the Kremlin, and Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov urged Israel to carefully consider the actions they take.

I'm sure being asked to carefully consider their actions will really put the ****s up the israelis.

He called for a ceasefire, what more can he do?

He did..Eventually!
    Its not about shifting the blame. Its about facing the reality. US has significant interests in Israel, its it hub in the ME.

A few bombs against 'terrorists' is not going to see them jeopardise that.

Of course it should, and a POTUS could, but they won't be allowed and, strategically it doesn't make sense.

Bidens response is entirely in line with US policy. It is no different that all the other POTUS.

I don't like it, don't agree with it but at no point did I ever think Biden, or indeed Trump if he won would be doing anything different.

Also this is no love in. People, as you yourself just proved are free to point out Bidens failings and shortcomings. ATM, overall Biden is doing a good job so criticism is rare.

Biden is old enough and wise enough to know that Israel needs the US more than vice-versa. Even with the recent peace agreements there Israel are still the isolated one. He could change approach if he wanted to. He doesn't want to.

The thread is a love in. I don't really know how Biden is doing as tbh, I don't really follow American politics that much anymore. I do know he's been sued for attempting to instigate a policy that discriminated against white farmers in the Mid-west supposedly, and has made other dodgy remarks that amounted to discriminating against white people. This, it would seem to me, is being done to placate the more progressive elements of the party, when really he should be side-lining them, lest they destroy the party like the religious right did the Republicans.

It would seem though, from the bits and pieces I've seen, that yes he is doing are fairly good job. No big surprise considering he's a centrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He did..Eventually!

Biden is old enough and wise enough to know that Israel needs the US more than vice-versa. Even with the recent peace agreements there Israel are still the isolated one. He could change approach if he wanted to. He doesn't want to.

Biden cannot stray too far from his country's interests in the Middle East. No US President can. This is why he won't put his head too far above the parapet. US interests in that region stretch far beyond Biden's presidency and they were around long before it too, so he doesn't get to dictate terms to Israel, because his own country wants to keep them as their hard man in the area.

This is how the realpolitik of America's ambitions in the Middle East work and it has been like that for decades. Biden's hands are very much tied on the matter.

Trying to have a go at Biden for doing what every other US President has done since the 50's is simply churlish in a juvenile way.

• Advertisement

If only it were true. It is certainly populated by W. Anchors.

The Jack Mehoff thing is false?

The Jack Mehoff thing is false?

It is. Unfortunately, as it would be so cool if true.

It is. Unfortunately, as it would be so cool if true.

Devastating. Have you a link showing in fact that Mehoff wasn't a signatory to that letter? Because the link I posted seems to indicate he was, then the name was redacted once the clowns writing the letter learned they were pranked.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Biden cannot stray too far from his country's interests in the Middle East. No US President can. This is why he won't put his head too far above the parapet. US interests in that region stretch far beyond Biden's presidency and they were around long before it too, so he doesn't get to dictate terms to Israel, because his own country wants to keep them as their hard man in the area.

This is how the realpolitik of America's ambitions in the Middle East work and it has been like that for decades. Biden's hands are very much tied on the matter.

Trying to have a go at Biden for doing what every other US President has done since the 50's is simply churlish in a juvenile way.

The US can absolutely dictate terms to Israel if they wanted. To suggest Israel has the upper hand in the relationship, or that the US requires Israel to be its 'hardman' in the area is absurd. America is and has for a longtime been its own Hardman in the area. The main country that the US needs to keep on board in the ME is Saudi Arabia regardless, not Israel.

Bidens hands are not tied. He can do the unpopular thing if he wanted to. He doesn't want to.

Your last comment insinuating my criticism is 'churlish' in a 'juvenile way' is exactly why I described the thread as a biden/Democrat love in. My criticism is not mean-spirited or as a result of me being partisan, but legitimate criticism. What other presidents have done is irrelevant. What matters is what Biden is doing. Yet suggesting as such results in one's opinion being labeled 'juvenile'.

The US can absolutely dictate terms to Israel if they wanted. To suggest Israel has the upper hand in the relationship, or that the US requires Israel to be its 'hardman' in the area is absurd. America is and has for a longtime been its own Hardman in the area. The main country that the US needs to keep on board in the ME is Saudi Arabia regardless, not Israel.

Bidens hands are not tied. He can do the unpopular thing if he wanted to. He doesn't want to.

Your last comment insinuating my criticism is 'churlish' in a 'juvenile way' is exactly why I described the thread as a biden/Democrat love in. My criticism is not mean-spirited or as a result of me being partisan, but legitimate criticism. What other presidents have done is irrelevant. What matters is what Biden is doing. Yet suggesting as such results in one's opinion being labeled 'juvenile'.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Devastating. Have you a link showing in fact that Mehoff wasn't a signatory to that letter? Because the link I posted seems to indicate he was, then the name was redacted once the clowns writing the letter learned they were pranked.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/military-retired-generals-admiral-jack-meehoff/

that link says it was originally included and then removed.

You don't know what you're talking about.

Is that the best response you can muster? And that from the bloke who called me churlish!

Somehow I'm not understanding you. I referenced that article above; indeed, someone put "Jack Mehoff" as a signatory to that laughable letter, so
    1. He doesn't exist (duh!)
    2. The name was on the letter, at least for awhile.

Am I misunderstanding? you seem to be saying there never was a "Jack Mehoff" on the letter, my point is, there was. That article confirms it:
    The man – who declined to provide his real name or a copy of his DD-214 – claimed to be a former enlisted submariner. He said Flag Officers 4 America removed “Rear Adm. Jack Meehoff” from the letter on Saturday after Mathias tweeted about how they had fallen for his ruse.

FWIW I learned about this watching Colbert the other day, he showed the screenshot of the letter including the Jack Mehoff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is that the best response you can muster? And that from the bloke who called me churlish!

What do you want Biden to do and what impact do you think that will have?

• Advertisement

You clearly don't have the first idea of what you trying to discuss and you're main interest is simply having a go at Biden.

It's not about Israel or Saudi Arabia or "upper hands". It's about American interests in the Middle East and Biden isn't going to scupper that. It would be political suicide for him to go against his nations political goals for the region. Into the bargain, any rebuke of Israel that is considered "harsh" (and that's nearly everything these days) will be met with a torrent of "antisemitism" accusations and Biden seems smart enough to not get caught up in that particular game.

And yes, you are being churlish in your effort to have a go at Biden, when his hands in the matter are very much tied by his country's long term ambitions. It's also churlish to describe the thread as a Biden "love in".

that link says it was originally included and then removed.

So?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

So?

Why are you so sure it's false?

Why are you so sure it's false?

A few reasons. Is it not false?

You clearly don't have the first idea of what you trying to discuss and you're main interest is simply having a go at Biden.

You've no basis to say that other then I've criticised essentially one aspect of his presidency. My aim is to not simply have a go at him. I've already stated that it seems he's doing a relatively good job in a broad sense. But again, this harps back to my love in comment. Anyone criticizing Biden is doing so because they are churlish, childish, or to have a go about just because. They can't be coming from a genuine place.
    It's not about Israel or Saudi Arabia or "upper hands". It's about American interests in the Middle East and Biden isn't going to scupper that. It would be political suicide for him to go against his nations political goals for the region. Into the bargain, any rebuke of Israel that is considered "harsh" (and that's nearly everything these days) will be met with a torrent of "antisemitism" accusations and Biden seems smart enough to not get caught up in that particular game.

Yes, he would be labeled anti-semitic, that is a given.

But you've touched on the main reason why he won't say anything.. Because it'd be unpopular, and negatively affect him personally. He can still do it, he is choosing not to. Biden criticizing Israel, or coming out against Israel's illegal settlement building, would not be going against American interests in the region, which are far broader. Again, Israel needs America more than America needs Israel.
    And yes, you are being churlish in your effort to have a go at Biden, when his hands in the matter are very much tied by his country's long term ambitions. It's also churlish to describe the thread as a Biden "love in".

His hands aren't tied. What are the 'long term ambitions' that will be so affected by criticising what Israel is currently doing re illegal settlements and policy towards Gaza? If anything, engaging in such criticism would likely improve America's reputation in the ME.

Somehow I'm not understanding you. I referenced that article above; indeed, someone put "Jack Mehoff" as a signatory to that laughable letter, so
    1. He doesn't exist (duh!)
    2. The name was on the letter, at least for awhile.

Am I misunderstanding? you seem to be saying there never was a "Jack Mehoff" on the letter, my point is, there was. That article confirms it:

FWIW I learned about this watching Colbert the other day, he showed the screenshot of the letter including the Jack Mehoff on it.

Ah right. I thought you were saying that it was legit. Mea culpa.

What do you want Biden to do and what impact do you think that will have?

For a start, Publicly denounce Israel's continued building of illegal settlements/illegal settling and its unproportional use of force as a response to rocket attacks, and threat to cut military aid if they don't. The impact would be to put serious pressure on the current Israeli government to stop these practices as it would show that even their biggest 'friend' is opposed to them.

Ah right. I thought you were saying that it was legit. Mea culpa.

OK, your position makes no sense. Do you think that there was originally a Jack Mehoff on the list of generals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

A few reasons. Is it not false?

As far as I can tell it's legit. Here's a blog post with the original letter and the signatories copied and pasted into the post. Jack Meehoff is in there. Whoever runs the site takes the letter very seriously so I doubt they'd be adding in the name for the laugh.
    May 15, 2021: If this Open Letter (signed by more than 120 retired US Generals and Admirals) does not move and stir your concern for our great nation, nothing will. There is no need for editorial comments as the Generals have vividly and perfectly laid out the "deep peril" facing the United States of America. Every single American should read this Open Letter (more than once) and share it with all family and friends. The contents of the letter warrant serious attention and must be met with the greatest sense of urgency and resolve. The link for the "Flag Officers 4 America" is provided immediately below as is the entire Open Letter for your review.

https://www.extremelyamerican.com/post/deep-peril-flag-officers-4-america-open-letter-from-retired-generals-admirals

• Advertisement

OK, your position makes no sense. Do you think that there was originally a Jack Mehoff on the list of generals?

I couldn't be arsed getting into this as it's a thing of nothing. I misunderstood Igotadose's original post. That is all.

Advertisement