Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hhhhh wrote: »
    No. I'm not your teacher. If you what to pretend it doesn't exist well then you are free to. If you don't know what it is then do some basic research.

BS.
    As expected.

Wah wah wah from conservatives without a hint of introspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,240 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

duploelabs wrote:
    He literally said there's nothing there before the Europeans landed. Do you agree with this statement?
    You have to take it in context. I'm sure his meaning is there were no buildings, trade etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

eagle eye wrote: »
    You have to take it in context. I'm sure his meaning is there were no buildings, trade etc.

The context is right there on the article

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

What were they?

Racist. Plain and simple.

He was given the opportunity to explain or expand on his statement and he just repeated what he said.

In one fell swoop he dismissed the histories of Native Americans, and the suffering, marginalising, killings, etc they experienced at the hands of the state.
    but candidly there isn’t much Native American culture in American culture.

How could there be? The US state did their best to cancel entire Native American tribes over 100’s of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

That's an opinion on history and population, what is wrong with that?
    Native Americans make up only 1.6% of the population of the US.

There was a time that they made up almost 100% of the population. But due to invaders bringing their diseases that natives had no immunity to, coupled with the enslavement, murders and genocide of the native population those numbers were greatly depleted down to current figures.
    Their lands were stolen from them, they were murdered or enslaved, but they fought back.
    His comments at best were uneducated and disrespectful with disregard for a race that was almost wiped out by his predecessors attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You don’t think native Americans had buildings or conducted trade?

Overheal wrote:
    You don’t think native Americans had buildings or conducted trade?
    Have you any books on what they did before Europeans arrived?

Smee_Again wrote:
    Racist. Plain and simple.
    Nothing racist in what was posted in this thread.
    I said in my first post on the subject that there's a racist suggestion in what he said but he didn't actually say anything racist.
    This is like what you see on Twitter where a quote is taken completely out of context and they scream racism, homophobia etc.

And with the amount of Twitter links posted in here it's not surprising that we are seeing it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Why do republicans always need a translation into English? That is very much not what he said. Why are they incapable of saying what people think they mean? We saw it repeatedly with Trump and continue on here to explain other people being utter scum.

Nothing racist in what was posted in this thread.
    I said in my first post on the subject that there's a racist suggestion in what he said but he didn't actually say anything racist.
    This is like what you see on Twitter where a quote is taken completely out of context and they scream racism, homophobia etc.

And with the amount of Twitter links posted in here it's not surprising that we are seeing it here.

We all know you’ve a very high tolerance for what is or isn’t racist.

• Advertisement

Christy42 wrote:
    Why do republicans always need a translation into English? That is very much not what he said. Why are they incapable of saying what people think they mean? We saw it repeatedly with Trump and continue on here to explain other people being utter scum.
    I'm not a Republican, I've always supported the Democrats.

Right next to my binders full of women?

Like do the books need to be on my shelf right now or do you want a store link if so https://www.amazon.com/Wigwams-Longhouses-American-Dwellings-Coloring/dp/0486433277

https://www.amazon.com/Native-American-Landmarks-Festivals-Indigenous/dp/1578596416

https://www.amazon.com/Listening-Our-Ancestors-Pacific-Northwest/dp/0792241908

https://www.amazon.com/Indian-Slave-Trade-American-1670-1717/dp/0300101937

Like, art, architecture and culture. Of course it existed before we wiped nearly all of it out. Santorums comments are a whitewash.

Smee_Again wrote:
    We all know you’ve a very high tolerance for what is or isn’t racist.
    I actually don't. I just always remain calm and consider things.
    I brought a black friend to a bar in Boston where I drank regularly and a guy, 3rd gen American who called himself Irish, told me 'we don't hang out with those guys'. I told him he wasn't Irish and shouldn't call himself Irish because we don't treat anybody differently.
    That was racism and I won't stand for it.

I'm not a Republican, I've always supported the Democrats.

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAA

Jesus, i needed that

I actually don't. I just always remain calm and consider things.
    I brought a black friend to a bar in Boston where I drank regularly and a guy, 3rd gen American who called himself Irish, told me 'we don't hang out with those guys'. I told him he wasn't Irish and shouldn't call himself Irish because we don't treat anybody differently.
    That was racism and I won't stand for it.

Why do you always describe the ethnicity of your friends?

A quick Google would give you plenty on the topic... It's going back to this narrative that colonisers brought civilization to savages. Similar was said about Ireland over the centuries so I think it's a tad insulting towards a culture to assume a civilizing effect.
    https://www.wyohistory.org/encyclopedia/trade-among-tribes-commerce-plains-europeans-arrived

So ya, I think it's reasonable for the likes of Santorum to have a little bit of respect for a culture that they committed genocide against.

Overheal wrote:
    Like do the books need to be on my shelf right now or do you want a store link if so
    How many of them have history that predates the arrival of Europeans in North America?

How many of them have history that predates the arrival of Europeans in North America?

Lots of them. Historians were good enough to record some of it before we wiped most of it out. Native Americans had a thriving and self sustainable civilization.

A quick Google would give you plenty on the topic... It's going back to this narrative that colonisers brought civilization to savages. Similar was said about Ireland over the centuries so I think it's a tad insulting towards a culture to assume a civilizing effect.
    Thanks for that, I'm going to read all I can about that.
    So ya, I think it's reasonable for the likes of Santorum to have a little bit of respect for a culture that they committed genocide against.
    I doubt Santorum's family were involved considering his mother was Italian and his father was of Irish and Italian descent so none of his family were likely there when the US was discovered.
    I agree he showed no respect and I've said that there's a suggestion of racism but he didn't actually say anything racist.

Overheal wrote:
    Lots of them. Historians were good enough to record some of it before we wiped most of it out. Native Americans had a thriving and self sustainable civilization.
    And you ask people for links all the time but provide none to back up your comments.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »

Also, oral histories were a pretty big thing for native Americans iirc. The implication that they were uncivilized or lacking a culture is pretty ignorant. Particularly since much of that culture is still alive and well in spite of what settlers did.

And you ask people for links all the time but provide none to back up your comments.

I already linked you to books.

You don’t seem to be arguing in good faith: what is your thesis, that the natives were all braindead savages before someone carrying the Bible of King James showed up, touched them on the forehead and gave them the knowledge to stand up straight, use tools and speak? What is your thesis.

BS.
    As expected.

Wah wah wah from conservatives without a hint of introspection.

I'm not a conservative. The fact that you think I am exemplifies your own bias, and the complete **** state that American political discourse finds itself in. You are suggesting I'm a conservative based on one simple fact that I suugest cancel culture exists. Bizarre. There are many on the left who accept it exists aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

More then 30k of posts and still incapable of discussing in good faith

I already linked you to books.

You don’t seem to be arguing in good faith: what is your thesis, that the natives were all braindead savages before someone carrying the holy Bible showed up, touched them on the forehead and gave them the knowledge to stand up straight, use tools and speak? What is your thesis.

Also interest to see if Eagle thinks Ireland had a society prior to Rome sending Bishops over in the 4th century. We didn't have a written record but we weren't savages by any measure.

The big difference with the US one is that it is in such recent history, that somebody like Santorum should know better.

I'm not a conservative. The fact that you think I am exemplifies your own bias, and the complete **** state that American political discourse finds itself in. You are suggesting I'm a conservative based on one simple fact that I suugest cancel culture exists. Bizarre. There are many on the left who accept it exists aswell.

You've dodged both questions so far on what you define as Cancel Culture so why don't you raise the standard of your responses by furnishing us with that definition as it appears, by reading of your posts, you don't know yourself

Also interest to see if Eagle thinks Ireland had a society prior to Rome sending Bishops over in the 4th century. We didn't have a written record but we weren't savages by any measure.

The big difference with the US one is that it is in such recent history, that somebody like Santorum should know better.

They were two different civilizations with two different philosophies: one thought it owned the planet, and the other thought it belonged to it. Native Americans not being in the middle of an imperialist industrial revolution when the former showed up is not a proof that there was “nothing here” before colonizers showed up.

duploelabs wrote: »
    You've dodged both questions so far on what you define as Cancel Culture so why don't you raise the standard of your responses by furnishing us with that definition as it appears, by reading of your posts, you don't know yourself

You didn't ask a question. You made a demand, and no-one else asked me, so I'm not sure what 'questions' I dodged since I was never asked one. None of which really matters, since dodging questions isn't exactly unique to conservatives anyway.

They were two different civilizations with two different philosophies: one thought it owned the planet, and the other thought it belonged to it. Native Americans not being in the middle of an imperialist industrial revolution when the former showed up is not a proof that there was “nothing here” before colonizers showed up.

And the other thing is that a huge amount of their history has simply been lost or destroyed as a result of colonisation. Colonisation was very much so a destructive thing rather than civilizing.

• Advertisement

You didn't ask a question. You made a demand, and no-one else asked me, so I'm not sure what 'questions' I dodged since I was never asked one. None of which really matters, since dodging questions isn't exactly unique to conservatives anyway.

Another dodge, so what is cancel culture in your own words

Advertisement