Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

A very wordy way of saying that I was right.
    It most certainly is not. In fact, the most salient part of the reply, at least within the context of your post, was this...
    There's currently no evidence to support the notion he has abandoned this pledge.

You have not only posted a claim without evidence but you've also conflated two entirely different pieces of legislation while doing so.

Now, should he renege on this pledge during his term, he should be absolutely eviscerated for it but until some evidence is supplied showing this is even an intention, the claim remains utterly baseless.

In the meantime, we have this from the Chair of the Senate Health Committee, Patty Murray (D-WA), and House Health Committee, Frank Pallaone (D-NJ) - Murray, Pallone Announce Plans to Develop a Public Option Proposal to Lower Health Care Costs. The press release likely referencing the Morning Consul poll on the subject from back in March which should again beg the question, given the level of support for the measure within both parties, what's stopping Biden for pushing for it during his term and what would cause the Republicans to oppose it so strongly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    A common trend in this thread my friend.

Good to see the far left and far right getting on so well together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Hhhhh wrote: »
    It appears I am no longer able. But yiu can listen to Sam harris' podcast he was on that quite recently.
    If you can't link just let us which episode it was, and about what time said episode, and the we can all go have a listen to it without you needing to post and links.

If you can't link just let us which episode it was, and about what time said episode, and the we can all go have a listen to it without you needing to post and links.

No problem. It's the episode with Garcia himself, no. 251. The main quote from the book that led to his firing is read at approx 31 mins. The first 40 mins (that's free on Spotify) for more or less the full story (from his side at least).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The libs are being owned in Texas

Texas to drop restrictions on carrying concealed guns

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0525/1223852-texas-gun-law/

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/1396858195356835845

I'm OK with the 'sanctuary' idea. It's not as if it's a new concept.

I'm not so happy with the idea of folks lawfully carrying guns around without a background check or any training at all, but on the other hand, Texas would be something like the 18th state to do this, and there seems to be no empirical evidence of it being a problem in reality thus far. Indeed, it has been the law of the land in Vermont for two centuries, one of the safest States in the union. Thus, although it certainly seems to be a bad idea, there is no evidence that it actually is despite there being ample precedent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm OK with the 'sanctuary' idea. It's not as if it's a new concept.

I'm not so happy with the idea of folks lawfully carrying guns around without a background check or any training at all, but on the other hand, Texas would be something like the 18th state to do this, and there seems to be no empirical evidence of it being a problem in reality thus far. Indeed, it has been the law of the land in Vermont for two centuries, one of the safest States in the union. Thus, although it certainly seems to be a bad idea, there is no evidence that it actually is despite there being ample precedent.

That might have something to do with the fact that there are only about half a million people living there.

Tony EH wrote: »
    That might have something to do with the fact that there are only about half a million people living there.

I believe you'll find it's on a per capita basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Joe saying what everyone is thinking here.

https://twitter.com/Sha_Elise24/status/1399843021659676672

Will be interesting to see if the two in mind react publicly to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

He must have gone off script again. After all he does have a history of racist comments. It's been an embarrassing week for Joe. What a creep

https://twitter.com/townhallcom/status/1399831108427059201

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

What's racist about that?

• Advertisement

He must have gone off script again. After all he does have a history of racist comments. It's been an embarrassing week for Joe. What a creep

:D:D:D they dont have lawers..gas stuff, he should be in vicar street with them one liners..chris rock watch out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

4/10, must try harder

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Brian? wrote: »
    4/10, must try harder

that's generous...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Are you OK? Have you someone that you could talk to?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The only embarrassing thing here is the fact that you took a few weeks off from the thread and this is the best you can do on your return.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

1800_Ladladlad don't post in this thread again

Smee_Again wrote: »
    What's racist about that?

Nothing at all. As long as you don't think that making assumptions based on skin colour is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nothing at all. As long as you don't think that making assumptions based on skin colour is racist.

On the centennial of the Tulsa race massacre are we really pretending that blacks have had the same opportunities for enterprise as their white counterparts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Was he making an assumption? And, while I'm asking what assumptions do you think he was making? I'm really not seeing the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Never heard anyone of colour say they thought Joe Biden was racist. They know the diff between mixed language and racism, which some here don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Water John wrote: »
    Never heard anyone of colour say they thought Joe Biden was racist. They know the diff between mixed language and racism, which some here don't.

Recently*. He was an opponent of bussing etc. much earlier in his political career. Fast forward some decades and I don't believe Biden is harboring any racial animus.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Biden does have to own, historical positions he has taken but he has progressed a lot over his lifetime and that is to his credit.

Biden does have to own, historical positions he has taken but he has progressed a lot over his lifetime and that is to his credit.

That's usually only ever a luxury afforded to people you support.

A politician changing their opinion is almost always to garner votes, not because they have reflected on their position.

I don't think credit is due for not holding ****ty opinions anymore.

Overheal wrote: »
    On the centennial of the Tulsa race massacre are we really pretending that blacks have had the same opportunities for enterprise as their white counterparts?

Have had, or have?

Well if you have heard anyone think Biden is a racist, then you ain't black.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Well if you have heard anyone think Biden is a racist, then you ain't black.

90% of black people voted for Biden.

Overheal wrote: »
    Recently*. He was an opponent of bussing etc. much earlier in his political career. Fast forward some decades and I don't believe Biden is harboring any racial animus.

Although I agree with this, there's no denying that on the face of it, it was a stupid statement. I'm curious as to where a white entrepreneur from can go find a white person's lawyer who is inaccessible to his black neighbour.

There may be other factors affecting success, maybe for whatever reason a bank won't offer a loan to the black entrepreneur, for example, but accessibility to lawyers and accountants isn't one which I believe can be substantiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Although I agree with this, there's no denying that on the face of it, it was a stupid statement. I'm curious as to where a white entrepreneur from can go find a white person's lawyer who is inaccessible to his black neighbour.

There may be other factors affecting success, maybe for whatever reason a bank won't offer a loan to the black entrepreneur, for example, but accessibility to lawyers and accountants isn't one which I believe can be substantiated.

If you can't get the funding you can't afford good quality lawyers and accountants and thus open yourself to more issues and problems.

As usual with ingrained racism, it isn't that it can't happen or never happens, just that its harder

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Because statistically black people are poorer and less well educated that white people, so they are less likely to have family connections or a wealthy family willing to guarantee loans

Intergenerational poverty isn't exclusive to people of colour, but it is more likely.

Biden made a balls of saying that. He makes a balls of saying the right things. It's part of his charm.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The last time I was on Boards properly it was the Donald Trump presidency thread...thank god for small mercies

Advertisement