Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    [/B]

I've heard it all now. I think you guys do be low key trolling. You must be. surely? :D

Well, so far he's been a far more effective leader than the previous guy....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

[/B]

I've heard it all now. I think you guys do be low key trolling. You must be. surely? :D

It's certainly no Bertie 'smoke and daggers' Ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Brian? wrote: »
    Because statistically black people are poorer and less well educated that white people, so they are less likely to have family connections or a wealthy family willing to guarantee loans

Intergenerational poverty isn't exclusive to people of colour, but it is more likely.

Biden made a balls of saying that. He makes a balls of saying the right things. It's part of his charm.

It is not part of his charm for me. I do wish he could convey his messages in a clearer fashion. It is part of his job. Overall he has done a decent job.

Yeah he is better at speaking than the previous guy but that should not be the standard. Biden needs to be held to a higher standard if the US is to get back on track.

I agree on the intergenerational issues with poverty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

[/B]

I am 100% serious. The man has been making public gaffes since the 70s. Anyone with a passing interest in US politics knows this.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Christy42 wrote: »
    It is not part of his charm for me. I do wish he could convey his messages in a clearer fashion. It is part of his job. Overall he has done a decent job.

Yeah he is better at speaking than the previous guy but that should not be the standard. Biden needs to be held to a higher standard if the US is to get back on track.

I agree on the intergenerational issues with poverty.

Actions speak far louder than words and he’s doing a pretty ok job. Biden is always going to misspeak and stumble over words. He’s always done it, always will.

It does not make him stupid or incompetent

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Actions speak far louder than words and he’s doing a pretty ok job. Biden is always going to misspeak and stumble over words. He’s always done it, always will.

He spoke for over an hour back in 1993 about the upcoming Crime Bill and didn't miss a beat.

Same story in his debate against Paul Ryan 2012, sharper than the proverbial tack.

This notion that Biden has always been misspeaking and that it's 'part of his charm' is absolute cobblers.

He spoke for over an hour back in 1993 about the upcoming Crime Bill and didn't miss a beat.

Same story in his debate against Paul Ryan 2012, sharper than the proverbial tack.

This notion that Biden has always been misspeaking and that it's 'part of his charm' is absolute cobblers.

He has a stutter don't you know. If you insult his gaffes you are stutter shaming.

90% of black people voted for Biden.

So according to Biden, the other 10% weren't black.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. He’s famous for saying stupid things. Always has been.

I don’t know whether it’s gotten worse or the extra coverage means it’s more obvious.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

So according to Biden, the other 10% weren't black.

Spot on. He said exactly that.

• Advertisement

Biden’s gaffes are a running joke. If you don’t know about them you’re wilfully ignorant.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/gaffe-machine-gets-tuneup-joe-090014647.html

There are some absolute beauts in that article.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

He has a stutter don't you know. If you insult his gaffes you are stutter shaming.

I do find it ironic that Trump supporters get so upset that Biden isn't clear in what he says.

It is 100% the fault of Trump, and his supporters, that Bidens reasonably low level of oratory is taken as being any more than simply perfunctory. Its not bad, nothing too serious, but hardly inspiring or what we should expect from POTUS.

But such is the level that Trump dragged the office down to, that simply being competent is far ahead of anything Trump could do.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I do find it ironic that Trump supporters get so upset that Biden isn't clear in what he says.

It is 100% the fault of Trump, and his supporters, that Bidens reasonably low level of oratory is taken as being any more than simply perfunctory. Its not bad, nothing too serious, but hardly inspiring or what we should expect from POTUS.

But such is the level that Trump dragged the office down to, that simply being competent is far ahead of anything Trump could do.

Criticism of Biden doesn't necessarily mean fan of trump.

I find it funny that Biden sympathisers can't defend their guy without resorting to assuming if you think Biden is a tit, you must be a maga hat wearing zealot.

It's ok Leroy, trump is gone.

Spot on. He said exactly that.

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Criticism of Biden doesn't necessarily mean fan of trump.

I find it funny that Biden sympathisers can't defend their guy without resorting to assuming if you think Biden is a tit, you must be a maga hat wearing zealot.

It's ok Leroy, trump is gone.

I didn't defend him. I actually pointed out how uninspiring he was.

But there is no doubt that he his miles ahead of Trump. And since Trump was the previous POTUS, claims to have been reelected and is planning on running again, I think it perfectly reasonable to compare the current POTUS to the previous one, especially since he beat him

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I didn't defend him. I actually pointed out how uninspiring he was.

Sorry so, I may have read you wrong.

Biden’s gaffes are a running joke. If you don’t know about them you’re wilfully ignorant.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/gaffe-machine-gets-tuneup-joe-090014647.html

There are some absolute beauts in that article.

Did you post the wrong link?

If not, that article is not the win you thought it was.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

There was internal war between Obama and Biden in 2008 because Biden kept making so many gaffes at campaign rallies.

Only when Biden got out on the debate stage against Sarah Palin did he show his mettle.

The fact people don't seem to believe that he has made public gaffes for decades shows they actually haven't a clue what they're talking about. This thing with Biden tripping over himself and saying stupid sh*t is nothing new. It's actually quite old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Faugheen wrote: »
    There was internal war between Obama and Biden in 2008 because Biden kept making so many gaffes at campaign rallies.

Only when Biden got out on the debate stage against Sarah Palin did he show his mettle.

The fact people don't seem to believe that he has made public gaffes for decades shows they actually haven't a clue what they're talking about. This thing with Biden tripping over himself and saying stupid sh*t is nothing new. It's actually quite old.

That's exactly how it was. Biden's gaffes were the source of plenty of píss-taking. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama had publicly joked about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Exactly he has achieved some goals that have made people's live better, what more can one ask? It's just petty to pick on his gaffes or his age. We complain all the time about political inaction and how they are basically eloquent wind bags. Now we have action and people complain about his speech.

• Advertisement

Did you post the wrong link?

If not, that article is not the win you thought it was.

Define “win”?

I’ve already “won” because I’m right. Biden is so famous for misspeaking, I can’t believe we are even debating it

they/them/theirs

"Well I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."

And I recall his publicly apology for that remark.. Recognizing he said something really stupid and apologising for it... Something that Trump would never do... And I know you've said not liking Biden doesn't mean you support trump but given your previous expressed views on BLM, they're far worse than any gaffe by Biden... Why should we take your concern seriously?

America has a long history of electing idiots.

Are you saying Biden is an idiot?

they/them/theirs

And I recall his publicly apology for that remark.. Recognizing he said something really stupid and apologising for it... Something that Trump would never do... And I know you've said not liking Biden doesn't mean you support trump but given your previous expressed views on BLM, they're far worse than any gaffe by Biden... Why should we take your concern seriously?

My views expressed about BLM?

That they are a racist, race agitating group headed up by horrible people and used as a shield for thugs, looters and criminals? That they used George Floyd to incite people even though there was no evidence of racism causing his death?

What has that got to do with anything? What view of mine is worse than a presidential candidate telling black people if they don't vote for him, then they aren't black? Or that poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids"?

Are you low-key accusing me of racism there Mike? At least come out and say it rather than skirt around it to avoid an infraction?

And I don't have a "concern" for you to take seriously. No need for hyperbole.

My views expressed about BLM?

That they are a racist, race agitating group headed up by horrible people and used as a shield for thugs, looters and criminals? That they used George Floyd to incite people even though there was no evidence of racism causing his death?

What has that got to do with anything? What view of mine is worse than a presidential candidate telling black people if they don't vote for him, then they aren't black? Or that poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids"?

Are you low-key accusing me of racism there Mike? At least come out and say it rather than skirt around it to avoid an infraction?

And I don't have a "concern" for you to take seriously. No need for hyperbole.

I'm saying that you have a history of making far more offensive remarks and people are free to check it. The reality is you can't be taken very seriously cause you often deny the existence of racism etc.

Biden was highlighting that white people are often in a more privileged position, his phrasing was poor but the point was clear to most. And in relation to the other incredibly stupid remark, he apologised for it and clearly the voting public including the black community were okay with the apology. How's your perpetual outrage going?

I'm saying that you have a history of making far more offensive remarks and people are free to check it. The reality is you can't be taken very seriously cause you often deny the existence of racism etc.

Except when it’s supposed racism from black people towards white people. That’s an epidemic seemingly.

Biden was highlighting that white people are often in a more privileged position, his phrasing was poor but the point was clear to most. And in relation to the other incredibly stupid remark, he apologised for it and clearly the voting public including the black community were okay with the apology. How's your perpetual outrage going?

You are dragging this off topic to have a pop and make some serious allegations against me. I think I need to defend myself about that.

I wholeheartedly do NOT deny racism exists. I see it regularly.

I also do not think that racism is as prevalent or as common as people and the media like to portray.

I also think that people who bandy about the term racism where it's not applicable are doing more harm to victims of actual racism as it dilutes the severity of the word.

So Mike, i couldn't care less if you or people like you take me seriously. Your opinion is just your opinion.

Same as when you say I make "offensive" remarks. If you get offended all the time, sure, my remarks could be found offensive by you. Just because you take offense, doesn't mean offense was given.

Which of my remarks are worse than a presidential candidate consistently saying stuff he has to walk back, and in what context were they said?

And again, 'perpetual outrage' ??

Ffs Mike, if you think me pointing out a few of bidens "gaffes" is me being outraged, you are even more deluded than I thought.

But it is on brand for you to use hyperbole and falsify someone's position in order to paint them in a bad light.

Except when it’s supposed racism from black people towards white people. That’s an epidemic seemingly.

It's becoming increasingly common. Not an epidemic.

Racism is racism, no matter who is doing it and it is abhorrent.

Again, please use my actual stance on issues instead of creating your own imaginary one.

You've already been infracted for baselessly accusing me of racism. I see you haven't learned.

It's becoming increasingly common. Not an epidemic.

Racism is racism, no matter who is doing it and it is abhorrent.

But you only ever show outrage at supposed racism from black on white. That's my point. You paint yourself as having this balanced view of things but yet when white people are the racists you are either nowhere to be seen or you argue a toss about it.

If you want me to believe that you find racism as abhorrent as you claim to, then you need to actually prove it instead of being this white knight for white people all the time.

I also stand by everything I have said. I couldn't care less what actions I have received as a result of those views. I know I am right in this and there is a sizeable cohort here who are with me in that.

You act like racism doesn't exist when it is aimed at people of colour because you look for an excuse in every single thread that racism towards people of colour is highlighted. It's boring and it's predictable and you offer zero defence when you're called out on it.

• Advertisement

But you only ever show outrage at supposed racism from black on white. That's my point. You paint yourself as having this balanced view of things but yet when white people are the racists you are either nowhere to be seen or you argue a toss about it.

If you want me to believe that you find racism as abhorrent as you claim to, then you need to actually prove it instead of being this white knight for white people all the time.

I also stand by everything I have said. I couldn't care less what actions I have received as a result of those views. I know I am right in this and there is a sizeable cohort here who are with me in that.

You act like racism doesn't exist when it is aimed at people of colour because you look for an excuse in every single thread that racism towards people of colour is highlighted. It's boring and it's predictable and you offer zero defence when you're called out on it.

I frankly couldn't care less what you believe about me.

I do not need to prove that I am not a racist. I just simply have to not be one. Your accusations are unfounded and predicated that I am not vocal enough in condemning white people?

When white people are racist, I condemn them as strongly as I condemn any other racist. I may not have much to add to the conversation other than to say how much I dislike racism so I don't chime in as much. I never defend white racists. I think any racist, regardless of colour, is a racist and beyond contempt.

Again, for the record, I abhor any racism.

And as the father of a mixed race child, I am acutely aware of the prevalence of racism and do not deny it exists. I do find it frustrating when people like you claim anything bad that happens to a person of colour as a racist incident.

You stand by everything you said? That I am Boards' Resident racist?

I can't change how you think of me, nor do I want to.

It just shows that regardless of a person's stance, your own bias is all that matters to you and you will paint anyone who doesn't align with your views, to the extent you want, as something they aren't to delegitimise them.

Sorry for allowing you to take this thread off topic in order for you to character assassinate me, but I do think it's only fair I defend myself against people like you.

I'll leave it at that when it comes to replying to you on this.

Advertisement