Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lol, ok one last one to clarify that.

I enjoyed seeing certain people get wound up. The hatred for trump, the nonsense he would sometimes spout and the unrelenting bias in the media was car crash television and strangely enjoyable.

If people think by my honesty in admitting that means I am not posting honestly, then I don't know what to tell you.

But cool, let's leave it.

So you enjoyed saying and not saying things that helped further along the 'nonsense?'

Not exemplary behavior.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I enjoyed seeing certain people get wound up. The hatred for trump, the nonsense he would sometimes spout and the unrelenting bias in the media was car crash television and strangely enjoyable.

And you expect us to believe anything you say when you tried to deny supporting Trump and then followed it up by saying you enjoyed seeing people get wound up by him.

You’re tying yourself up in complete knots here.

Faugheen wrote: »
    And you expect us to believe anything you say when you tried to deny supporting Trump and then followed it up by saying you enjoyed seeing people get wound up by him.

You’re tying yourself up in complete knots here.

I don't expect you to believe anything faugheen. Your mind is very set in its ways and you will see whatever the hell you want.

I don't support trump. I liked watching him wind you,
    and people like you, up.

Very different.

Imagine having your mic cut off for mentioning Memorial Day was started by freed American slaves in Charleston, SC who wanted to give proper burials to soldiers who had been placed in a mass grave.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/03/ohio-barnard-kempter-mic-memorial-day/

That's exactly what happened to a retired Lt. Col when he was invited to speak at a memorial day ceremony. Organizers muted is microphone input when the offensive truth was told to horrified audience members.

US Military Code is you cannot campaign or engage in partisan politics while in uniform - something a reserve duty officer is currently under investigation for. However I don't think it is partisan to point out a historical matter of fact.

Republicans sure are in a weird place right now, attacking Biden for "wokeism in the military" and censoring free speech they find politically incorrect/inconvenient. You'd think they'd appreciate a faithful retelling of our nations military history - 'heritage,' they call it.

edit: link to video jump to 46'th minute https://vimeo.com/557283139

From the video, they have no problem with him talking about the history of memorial day, how many dead there were, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This thread is not the time or place for going through criticism of trump, but be honest overheal, you can't say there were criticisms and rumours about trump which were fraudulent and unfair?

But if every criticism of Biden reverts to "yeah but trump lied about this" rather than tackling the crux of the criticism of Biden, it's not inviting healthy conversation.

That's completely untrue. I batted away the last criticism of Biden because it was lazy and stupid. Most are.

You choose to ignore the posts that don't fit your pathetically lazy narrative.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

US Jobless claims in the last week at a new pandemic low of 385,000

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/03/us-jobless-claims-pandemic-low-491729

So much winning. Good to see the US economy roaring back.

Igotadose wrote: »

My brother is a manager at a chain restaurant in new england. He's definitely feeling the brunt, and also sees from his view that people are being paid not to work (which lots of headlines try and argue, but the truth is mud) but then again the min. wage for servers has been $2.13 or something close to that figure since 1991 iirc, so literally any amount of money you give them that is north of $85 is feasibly a better use of their time health and safety than bussing what have been vacated restaurants for the past several months, with 'ghost kitchens' becoming a new economy. If a server was there for 40 hours a week and the only orders the place took were online for pickup, they get nothing statutorily other than minimum wage of $2.13/hr, right? In some states, minimum is calculated at $7.25/hr if they aren't receiving tips (spoiler, I never worked in hospitality, only in non-commission retail, this is just my iirc). But like why faff about all day washing windows, it's not gaining the employee anything, they aren't appreciably building up skills, they are just sinking hours of their time for subsistence. I think it just highlights waitressing is not a sustainable lifestyle choice, especially not as entrepreneurs really begin exploiting the iDelivery industry space. I think the future will end up being a lot more of the ghost-kitchens and automated cooking, microwaved bull**** etc. and food truck style efficiency than it will be toward traditional restaurants, which obviously will still exist but the niche will be much more drilled down with better retaining and living rate for staff.

Overheal wrote: »
    My brother is a manager at a chain restaurant in new england. He's definitely feeling the brunt, and also sees from his view that people are being paid not to work (which lots of headlines try and argue, but the truth is mud) but then again the min. wage for servers has been $2.13 or something close to that figure since 1991 iirc, so literally any amount of money you give them that is north of $85 is feasibly a better use of their time health and safety than bussing what have been vacated restaurants for the past several months, with 'ghost kitchens' becoming a new economy. If a server was there for 40 hours a week and the only orders the place took were online for pickup, they get nothing statutorily other than minimum wage of $2.13/hr, right? In some states, minimum is calculated at $7.25/hr if they aren't receiving tips (spoiler, I never worked in hospitality, only in non-commission retail, this is just my iirc). But like why faff about all day washing windows, it's not gaining the employee anything, they aren't appreciably building up skills, they are just sinking hours of their time for subsistence. I think it just highlights waitressing is not a sustainable lifestyle choice, especially not as entrepreneurs really begin exploiting the iDelivery industry space. I think the future will end up being a lot more of the ghost-kitchens and automated cooking, microwaved bull**** etc. and food truck style efficiency than it will be toward traditional restaurants, which obviously will still exist but the niche will be much more drilled down with better retaining and living rate for staff.

That's a great point. I never crossed my mind that of course the tips on pickup would decimate the ability for waiters and waitresses to make a living.

The tipping culture in America has really propped up the ability of people in the service industry to live.

Common sense really but when living in Ireland, it's not something that immediately crosses my mind when it comes to minimum wage rates.

Completely different animal.

That's a great point. I never crossed my mind that of course the tips on pickup would decimate the ability for waiters and waitresses to make a living.

The tipping culture in America has really propped up the ability of people in the service industry to live.

Common sense really but when living in Ireland, it's not something that immediately crosses my mind when it comes to minimum wage rates.

Completely different animal.

I hate tipping culture, at the end of the day your financial security depends on the whims of customers, some don't tip at all, either because they are fundamentally opposed or as broke as you, some overtip, some people make a toxic practice out of it, waving dollars around on the table based upon pleasure with service/using it as a frankly dehumanising mechanism over the wait staff. It would be one thing if it was over your wages - then, these would be highly sought after jobs with stiff competition, but the fact that you depend on those tips, sometimes just to put gas in the vehicle that gets you to work, is incredibly broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I hate tipping culture, at the end of the day your financial security depends on the whims of customers, some don't tip at all, either because they are fundamentally opposed or as broke as you, some overtip, some people make a toxic practice out of it, waving dollars around on the table based upon pleasure with service/using it as a frankly dehumanising mechanism over the wait staff. It would be one thing if it was over your wages - then, these would be highly sought after jobs with stiff competition, but the fact that you depend on those tips, sometimes just to put gas in the vehicle that gets you to work, is incredibly broken.

Jeez that sounds like Ireland in the 70s and 80s. I remember my Dad telling me a story about a gas character that he used to drink with and it would come down to does he spend his last few quid on a drink or on fuel for his car he always choose the drink and feck the car he would get it home some way and get some fuel some way.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Imagine having your mic cut off for mentioning Memorial Day was started by freed American slaves in Charleston, SC who wanted to give proper burials to soldiers who had been placed in a mass grave.

Notwithstanding the merits of "thegrio" but the position of the US Government (as by Congressional resolution and Presidential Proclamation) is that Memorial Day was started in 1866 in the town of Waterloo, NY.

The VA lists some two dozen places which lay claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day, some historians took a deep dive into it.

Their conclusion is that the first annual 'day of commemoration' was actually started by a Confederate group of women named "Ladies Memorial Association" in Columbus, GA (I was there last week, oddly) who started an annual Memorial Day (so named) every May in 1866. The other option seems to be the "Grand Army of the Republic" (A group of Union Army Veterans) which in 1868 decreed 30 May to be "Decoration Day" (A day to decorate the graves of veterans with flowers), which then morphed into Memorial Day in the mid 20th century and has a direct lineage to the federal holiday of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, it's scummy way of doing business.

A friend of mine went on a sojourn to New York in the early 2000's. The place she worked in didn't actually pay their staff anything, so essentially her wage was whatever she could hustle that night.

It's hard imagine a more disgusting employer practice than that. Here's this prick raking in money off of punters and he wouldn't even pay the kids for their time.

She still managed to gather together her rent in the share she was in with 3 other girls and have a few bob left over for bills, food and a night out. But if I was a customer to the place she worked and found out that the waiting staff were being paid nothing, there's no way in hell I'd step foot in there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,872 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Igotadose wrote: »

U.S. job openings soar to record 8.1 million, but businesses can’t find enough workers

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-s-job-openings-soar-to-record-8-2-million-but-businesses-say-they-cant-find-enough-workers-to-hire-11620742194

if there was a $15 min wage introduced...there are still 4 states at least who's unemployment benefit +fed pay's more.

TBH i'd take that deal. dont work, get more money, more time for activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,621 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Notwithstanding the merits of "thegrio" but the position of the US Government (as by Congressional resolution and Presidential Proclamation) is that Memorial Day was started in 1866 in the town of Waterloo, NY.

The VA lists some two dozen places which lay claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day, some historians took a deep dive into it.

Their conclusion is that the first annual 'day of commemoration' was actually started by a Confederate group of women named "Ladies Memorial Association" in Columbus, GA (I was there last week, oddly) who started an annual Memorial Day (so named) every May in 1866. The other option seems to be the "Grand Army of the Republic" (A group of Union Army Veterans) which in 1868 decreed 30 May to be "Decoration Day" (A day to decorate the graves of veterans with flowers), which then morphed into Memorial Day in the mid 20th century and has a direct lineage to the federal holiday of today.

Would seem more logical for it to take place the next year rather than the month after cessations of fighting. The Confederate origins of some of the associations would certainly increase the temptation of some to engage in a degree of historical revisionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

U.S. job openings soar to record 8.1 million, but businesses can’t find enough workers

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-s-job-openings-soar-to-record-8-2-million-but-businesses-say-they-cant-find-enough-workers-to-hire-11620742194

if there was a $15 min wage introduced...there are still 4 states at least who's unemployment benefit +fed pay's more.

TBH i'd take that deal. dont work, get more money, more time for activities.

I am not holding out much hope but this could be the catalyst for the US to get proper employment rights. I reckon the government will be bought out, especially with nearly half of it against employment rights on principal but there is at least a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Think they have a jobs report coming out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

WhomadeGod wrote: »

the horror show report of last month.

:pac:

Two months in a row job growth has fallen well under expectations.

Millions of jobs were projected in these months coming out of this pandemic:

Only a few months ago we had expected to see several months' worth of gains north of one million as the economy reopened, but labor supply is bouncing back much more slowly than demand," said Paul Ashworth, chief U.S. economist at research firm Capital Economics.

I've just seen President Biden has commented that this months job report is

"historic progress".

Ummmm.. Joe expectations were reduced by nearly 35% from last month and you still failed to meet them.

What’s he supposed to do?

Even with Republican governors using their offices to take away relief benefits from the unemployed, like in my own state, we still haven’t seen any miraculous switch to a surge in jobs.

I think it’s fundamentally unwise to use poverty as a weapon to force people back into **** jobs like bussing tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Only a few months ago we had expected to see several months' worth of gains north of one million as the economy reopened, but labor supply is bouncing back much more slowly than demand," said Paul Ashworth, chief U.S. economist at research firm Capital Economics.

"historic progress".

Ummmm.. Joe expectations were reduced by nearly 35% from last month and you still failed to meet them.

2 million jobs in 4 months.
    Terrible alright.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

"historic progress".

What do you think he should do differently?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

"historic progress".

They're a nation exiting a global pandemic with a pretty healthy economy and job numbers that are growing. Might not have met the aims but given the scenario, it's fair to call it historic progress. Plus on top of that, their infrastructure project is likely to end up creating a lot of jobs in own right. So I'd say the direction of the country is looking a lot better than it was in the last few years...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What’s he supposed to do?

Even with Republican governors using their offices to take away relief benefits from the unemployed, like in my own state, we still haven’t seen any miraculous switch to a surge in jobs.

I think it’s fundamentally unwise to use poverty as a weapon to force people back into **** jobs like bussing tables.

Is there anything to be said for another massive tax cut for the Wealthy??

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for another massive tax cut for the Wealthy??

That definitely wouldn't result in more stock buybacks and job losses through automation and capital investment - let's do it, those who learn history are doomed to repeat it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Brian? wrote: »

You won't get an answer to this unless it's a copy and paste written by someone else.

You won't get an answer to this unless it's a copy and paste written by someone else.

IDC if he wants to 'stan' for someone else's viewpoint as long as it's upfront.

A South Carolina facility for the Department of Juvenile Justice has gone on strike effective immediately, following some workplace dispute which erupted this week over timesheets. They cite "long hours, pay and dangerous conditions" as focal issues for the strike. Security detail is still in the facility to guard juvenile inmates. Governor has ordered them back on. https://wach.com/news/local/djj-employees-walk-off-the-job. Workers cite timesheets that have them scheduled at "24-36 hour shifts."

https://www.wistv.com/2021/06/04/sc-djj-security-staff-teachers-walk-off-job/

Apparently though the state govt was already blowing up the matter in civil procedure ie. they had just announced yesterday the DJJ would be audited to address those type of concerns. https://www.wistv.com/2021/06/02/mcmaster-directs-sled-department-administration-review-djj-policies/. Speculation on my part, perhaps they are still under those type of conditions while they 'audit.' Either way the worker-employment dynamic in the country is coming up to a reckoning of some sort.

Brian? wrote: »

At least fight for the $15 minimum wage.

If the minimum wage followed inflation it'd be $24/hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"historic progress".

Another way of looking at it...

https://twitter.com/WHCOS/status/1400827638755831809?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

At least fight for the $15 minimum wage.

If the minimum wage followed inflation it'd be $24/hour.

So, WhomadeGod, do you agree that Biden should push for raising the minimum wage to try and increase the employment numbers?

Advertisement