Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Two months in a row job growth has fallen well under expectations.

Millions of jobs were projected in these months coming out of this pandemic:

Only a few months ago we had expected to see several months' worth of gains north of one million as the economy reopened, but labor supply is bouncing back much more slowly than demand," said Paul Ashworth, chief U.S. economist at research firm Capital Economics.

I've just seen President Biden has commented that this months job report is

"historic progress".

Ummmm.. Joe expectations were reduced by nearly 35% from last month and you still failed to meet them.

That is one person's expectation. Was it the consensus? What was the basis of the expectation? Fully reopened?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Whomadegod disappeared quicker than a big mac at Mar-a-Lago when a few questions were posed to him. It's almost like he has no interest in an actual discussion and just comes in here to take pot shots at Biden. I am shocked :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

everlast75 wrote: »

Not disputing the numbers, nor the size of the gains as historic, but generally speaking, wasn't the three months before Biden the months before vaccines started coming out and the three months after he came along the one after vaccines started coming out and States started opening up again? (Much to the anger of some who said they were opening too soon).

It's not exactly a stinging tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Not disputing the numbers, nor the size of the gains as historic, but generally speaking, wasn't the three months before Biden the months before vaccines started coming out and the three months after he came along the one after vaccines started coming out and States started opening up again? (Much to the anger of some who said they were opening too soon).

I think most rational people would think this way as well.

However, we know how the GOP would be spinning this if the shoe were on the other foot. It also shows the wrongness of the previous administrations efforts of trying to ignore the virus instead of tackling it head on as the current administration has done (albeit with the benefit of vaccines being available).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, in the 3 months before Biden was sworn in, how was the vaccination effort going in the US?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Not six months in the job and yellen has already commenced the process of reforming the outdated global tax system. This could not have happened without the great push from biden and yellen over the last number of months. Really it's an historic day. Also reminded of Trump's complete failure with the TCJA that only led to more of shoring shows how clueless his ideas were on this topic. Still early days with more agreements needed and more details to follow but this topic is definitely front and center now.

Igotadose wrote: »
    And, in the 3 months before Biden was sworn in, how was the vaccination effort going in the US?

The months where Biden et al were saying they wouldn't trust the trump vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

What trump vaccine and what does it vaccinate against? Bone Spurs?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Source?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm not familiar with that.

To answer the earlier question, I believe the US was in a similar position to most other countries, waiting for the results of trials.

The big difference seems to have been that the US was doing better at preparing for the procurement and distribution of the vaccines so we got off to a running start, relatively speaking. I'm showing somewhere just over 10% of Irish people as fully vaccinated, we're running at over 40%.

To be clear, I am not attributing this to the outstanding personal leadership of Trump, just good workers in the structure who were supported by the government, but since the question was asked how the US was doing at the time with respect to the vaccine, it seems to me to have been pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

quote="[Deleted User];117356526"]

The months where Biden et al were saying they wouldn't trust the trump vaccine?[/quote]

That isn't what the article says. Its says they don't trust Trump announcements. Given he lied 30k+ times, and needed a boost for the election, hardly surprising.

Indeed, I would consider it naive if they didn't have concerns.

There was no Trump vaccine, he tried to call it that but it was a nonsense.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    quote="[Deleted User];117356526"]

That isn't what the article says. Its says they don't trust Trump announcements. Given he lied 30k+ times, and needed a boost for the election, hardly surprising.

There was no Trump vaccine, he tried to call it that but it was a nonsense.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. A quick Google throws up plenty of articles. I was just providing the link as requested.

"But pray [to] God we have it. If I could get a vaccine tomorrow, I'd do it. If it cost me the election, I'd do it. We need a vaccine, and we need it now," - Joe Biden

doesn't sound like he was telling people not to get vaccinated. Also as I recall, he was among the first recipients of the vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/21/politics/bidens-coronavirus-vaccination/index.html
    "We owe these folks an awful lot," Biden said, thanking those involved in the vaccine's development and distribution and front-line health care workers.

Biden said the Trump administration deserved "some credit" for Operation Warp Speed, the federal government's vaccine program, and their role in making coronavirus vaccinations possible.

"I also think that it's worth saying that this is, is great hope. I'm doing this to demonstrate that people should be prepared, when it's available, to take the vaccine. There's nothing to worry about. I'm looking forward to the second shot; so is Jill," Biden said.
    Biden's vaccination came one week after the first doses of the vaccine were injected into health care workers, and days after the US Food and Drug Administration granted emergency use authorization for a second coronavirus vaccine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Did you actually read that article? If you did, I worry about you. It doesn't make the point you seem to think it does

"I will not take his word for it," the California senator said. "He's looking at an election coming up in less than 60 days, and he's grasping to get whatever he can to pretend he has been a leader on this issue when he is not."

They wouldn't trust Trump. No sane person would.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

There was no Trump vaccine, he tried to call it that but it was a nonsense.

Perhaps. A quick Google throws up plenty of articles. I was just providing the link as requested.[/quote]

Can you provide one for

1. A Trump vaccine existed

2. Biden said he wouldn't trust a vaccine. I'll accept any vaccine for covid, not just the imaginary Trump one

If not, concede you were talking nonsense again

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Perhaps. A quick Google throws up plenty of articles. I was just providing the link as requested.

Jfc.

If you're a trump supporter and covid is brought up, the barest minimum of common sense would scream at you to run the other way and say nothing.

His handling of it was nothing short of criminal negligence.

But to address your point, Trump was proud of being anti scientific, he was touting hydroxochloroquine and positing putting bleach into your body. Combined with that, he was not above cheating to try and win. Combined with that he was a prolific liar.

So yeah, i for one would be very suspect of a vaccine pushed by Mr. Snakeoil himself. Any sensible person would.

However, to those that drank the koolaid, he could do no wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Jfc.

If you're a trump supporter and covid is brought up, the barest minimum of common sense would scream at you to run the other way and say nothing.

But to address your point, Trump was proud of being anti scientific, he was touting hydroxochloroquine and positing putting bleach into your body. Combined with that, he was not above cheating to try and win. Combined with that he was a prolific liar.

So yeah, i for one would be very suspect of a vaccine pushed by Mr. Snakeoil himself. Any sensible person would.

The #IMPOTUS claimed he took hydroxychlorquine. As with everything he said, you have to assume it's a lie until independently verified. And as proven by his contracting Covid, it didn't work.

I wonder if his puppets-on-the-string medical team at Walter Reed tried the 'internal UV' that the #IMPOTUS also recommended.

The #IMPOTUS claimed he took hydroxychlorquine. As with everything he said, you have to assume it's a lie until independently verified. And as proven by his contracting Covid, it didn't work.

I wonder if his puppets-on-the-string medical team at Walter Reed tried the 'internal UV' that the #IMPOTUS also recommended.

And his medical team had difficulty keeping their lines straight.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/blog/2020-10-03-trump-covid-n1241952

https://apnews.com/article/health-donald-trump-ap-top-news-medication-virus-outbreak-e308e7ea85f889f395bb15ad55334a8f

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Jfc.

He wound up the left though so it's all good ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »

Can you provide one for

2. Biden said he wouldn't trust a vaccine. I'll accept any vaccine for covid, not just the imaginary Trump one

If not, concede you were talking nonsense again[/QUOTE]

Ffs Brian.

I was talking about when trump announced that there would be a vaccine before the end of the year. It was roundly dismissed.

Biden or Harris dismissed it and said they wouldn't take a vaccine that trump endorsed (albeit they did say they would trust it if Faucci gave the say so)

It was a glib through away comment that unfortunately has rounded up the usual jackals to feast on the carcass of anyone who says anything that can be seen as positive about trump.

I'll leave you guys to it. I couldn't be arsed.

Can you provide one for

If not, concede you were talking nonsense again
    Ffs Brian.

I was talking about when trump announced that there would be a vaccine before the end of the year. It was roundly dismissed.

Biden or Harris dismissed it and said they wouldn't take a vaccine that trump endorsed (albeit they did say they would trust it if Faucci gave the say so)

It was a glib through away comment that unfortunately has rounded up the usual jackals to feast on the carcass of anyone who says anything that can be seen as positive about trump.

Don't "FFS" me. You said something stupid and then doubled down on it. Now you're in a huff because you've been called out on it.

If you don't want people picking apart your posts, don't post stupid stuff

they/them/theirs

600,000 people died. A significant amount of those due to Trump's mishandling of the crisis. But sure, make a glib comment (your words) defending trump and then wonder why people take you to task.

Put your big boy pants on (the right way around) and argue if you think Trump was treated unfairly during covid. But like i said, apply some critical thinking first.

600,000 people died. A significant amount of those due to Trump's mishandling of the crisis. But sure, make a glib comment (your words) defending trump and then wonder why people take you to task.

Put your big boy pants on (the right way around) and argue if you think Trump was treated unfairly during covid. But like i said, apply some critical thinking first.

Youre right. I should have known better than to make a comment like that if I wasn't arsed to follow it up.

Mea culpa.

They very specifically said, with qualification, that they would not condone cutting corners in verifying the safety and efficacy of a vaccine to rush it out the door as a politicization. Specifically, it was well known that Trump desired to have the vaccine out before election day to help his campaign. It is political spin to suggest that either Harris or Biden indicated they would, so to speak, refuse to take an objectively certifiable vaccination just because Trump had endorsed it (that's the sort of thing Republicans do - eg. voting down Romneycare just because Obama was the one to sign it). Really, the most you can say is that neither Biden or Harris would be satisfied to take the vaccine if one night, Trump came on the TV and said 'I have it, here' - they would only take a vaccine that went through the correct process and was certified by the appropriate agencies, ie. they do not trust Trump to be a stand-in for their doctor.

Youre right. I should have known better than to make a comment like that if I wasn't arsed to follow it up.

Mea culpa.

Fair enough.

I'm more concerned that you appear to believe it to be true (when it isn't) or *want* it to be true.

I suspect eithet way you listen to some seriously ****ed up "news" source

The article literally says that Biden and Harris wouldn't trust trumps announcements on when vaccines would be ready.

They were proven 100% correct as the vaccines arrived after trump said they would.

trump then tried to claim the first developed vaccine as part of his operation warp speed, when it wasn't, it was developed in the EU by a German company.

He still tries to claim that without his administration, vaccines wouldn't exist, again this is 100% a lie.

On top of this, the vaccine supply when Biden took over was completely lacking as trump had spent the previous 2 months losing lawsuits related to his lost election campaign and the Biden administration had to ramp up from almost nothing, set aggressive vaccination targets and ended up doubling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

astrofool wrote: »
    The article literally says that Biden and Harris wouldn't trust trumps announcements on when vaccines would be ready.

They were proven 100% correct as the vaccines arrived after trump said they would.

trump then tried to claim the first developed vaccine as part of his operation warp speed, when it wasn't, it was developed in the EU by a German company.

He still tries to claim that without his administration, vaccines wouldn't exist, again this is 100% a lie.

On top of this, the vaccine supply when Biden took over was completely lacking as trump had spent the previous 2 months losing lawsuits related to his lost election campaign and the Biden administration had to ramp up from almost nothing, set aggressive vaccination targets and ended up doubling them.

Correction, he has claimed that without 'him' the vaccine wouldn't exist.

Correction, he has claimed that without 'him' vaccines wouldn't exist.

To be fair, he did allow the scientific world to eliminate disinfectant injections and shoving a lightbulb up his supporters ass as a treatment, the fact that that some of those supporters died is neither here nor there of course:
    https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/world/us-coronavirus-deaths-by-bleach-disinfectant-injection-major-rise-trump-covid-19-treatment-616708

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

astrofool wrote: »
    To be fair, he did allow the scientific world to eliminate disinfectant injections and shoving a lightbulb up his supporters ass as a treatment, the fact that that some of those supporters died is neither here nor there of course:
    https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/world/us-coronavirus-deaths-by-bleach-disinfectant-injection-major-rise-trump-covid-19-treatment-616708

The anti vax conspiracy documentary on Channel 4 shows the batsh!t origins of the disinfectant and light bulb claims that Trump made.

Advertisement