Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It unprecedented that a UK government would purposely break international law.
    Its unprecedented that a PM would lie to the queen.
    Its unprecedented that minister's would hand out so many contracts to their mates.
    Its unprecedented that a national government would sign a deal with no intention of trying to sort implement it.
    And there are plenty more.

The point being that Biden can say whatever he wants, but it won't make a difference. Do you think Frost is going to suddenly change course, that Johnson will now decide that a deal is a deal?

One thing we know after 5 years, and more so after 2 years of Johnson, is that unprecedented means nothing

Is it really though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,197 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In other Biden Presidency news poor Harris got into bit of bother a few days ago telling Guatemalans not to try coming to America, and she reiterated it too.

Getting plenty of heat from the progressives of the Democratic party too over it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57408094

Also she has yet to visit the southern border, even though Joe gave it to her as part of her portfolio back in March

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

In other Biden Presidency news poor Harris got into bit of bother a few days ago telling Guatemalans not to try coming to America, and she reiterated it too.

Getting plenty of heat from the progressives of the Democratic party too over it.

Also she has yet to visit the southern border, even though Joe gave it to her as part of her portfolio back in March

I don't get the obsession with a physical visit - What exactly is a Politician supposed to be able to achieve standing in the Desert in Texas or New Mexico pointing at a fence or whatever that couldn't be better achieved in a meeting in Washington.

It's a Photo ops nothing more..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,415 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

1) She should get stick for what she said
    2) She shouldn't get stick for not visiting the border. They're only getting the pandemic under control.
    3) any Republican expressing concern for people coming over the border can go and do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not sure as to why KH should get stick for telling people not to come to the US illegally. That's Govn't policy.
    The developments arising from Biden's first foreign trip will be interesting and hopefully positive.

• Advertisement

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Kamala Harris hasnt been to europe either remember.

What exactly is your point?

What exactly is your point?

I think he is congratulating her for not unnecessarily travelling during a pandemic.

Glad to see he has come to his senses.

Water John wrote: »
    Not sure as to why KH should get stick for telling people not to come to the US illegally. That's Govn't policy.
    The developments arising from Biden's first foreign trip will be interesting and hopefully positive.

The push back from AOC and the like is because it's totally legal to turn up at the US border and seek entry.

They have taken her statement
    “I want to be clear to folks in the region who are thinking about making that dangerous trek to the United States-Mexico border,” she said. “Do not come. Do not come.”
    not in the context of "don't try and enter illegally" but in the context of "don't even bother turning up at the border".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

When questioned in an interview on her not visiting the southern border she laughed and said that she hasn't been to Europe yet either .
    Strange answer but thats the context I believe.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with a physical visit - What exactly is a Politician supposed to be able to achieve standing in the Desert in Texas or New Mexico pointing at a fence or whatever that couldn't be better achieved in a meeting in Washington.

She has been given special responsibility for the crises at the southern border.

I know optics is a huge part of it but the optics would be for someone like herself to be "seen" to be doing something by visiting the area where the crises is occurring.
    Whether she can do a better job from a far I have no idea.

As for traveling during the pandemic, travel has been pretty regular in the US for months now, it's not like Ireland where we were locked down so much for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The push back from AOC and the like is because it's totally legal to turn up at the US border and seek entry.

They have taken her statement
    “I want to be clear to folks in the region who are thinking about making that dangerous trek to the United States-Mexico border,” she said. “Do not come. Do not come.”
    not in the context of "don't try and enter illegally" but in the context of "don't even bother turning up at the border".

But turning up at the border and being almost certainly sent home. In our case we wouldn't make it past Dublin airport. The US Govn't is correct in applying its resources in making the Central and South American countries a better place to live than they are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

As soon as she goes the Wing nuts will say she only went for the photo op. It's predictably hilarious.

Look at the fuss they made over AOC visiting the border.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

She has been given special responsibility for the crises at the southern border.

I know optics is a huge part of it but the optics would be for someone like herself to be "seen" to be doing something by visiting the area where the crises is occurring.
    Whether she can do a better job from a far I have no idea.

As for traveling during the pandemic, travel has been pretty regular in the US for months now, it's not like Ireland where we were locked down so much for so long.

It's pointless.

I manage engineers in Korea and Taiwan, do I need to physically visit them to assess their work? I do in my hoop

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I asked my congressman what his photo ops achieved and what he expects a Vice President visit to true border to even do. Haven’t heard back yet and holding my breath eagerly :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Agreed, but it's also why she has not been to the border. If it'll make a politician look good, they'll go for the photo op. However, there is no good photo op to come from the border. The holding centers are about as overcrowded now as they were in the Trump era. A Texas Democrat (Cuellar) who is not a fan of the Administration's handling of the border released photos from his local center back in April, it didn't endear him to the Administration. Democrats were happy enough to have their photos taken at the border when it was Trump's problem.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/01/politics/harris-immigration/index.html
    After the announcement, Harris' aides appeared to "panic," according to one of the officials, out of concern that her assignment was being mischaracterized and could be politically damaging if she were linked to the border, which at the time was facing a growing number of arrivals.

There is a very good argument that this was a poisoned chalice handed by Biden to Harris. It's likely a no-win situation for Biden, so by handing it off to Harris to deal with, it won't affect him quite as much in the re-election campaign.

Interesting how the dems were all so quick to visit the border during the trump administrations time in power for those photo opportunities.

Crowd of hypocrites.

Were they now? How many times did Harris or Biden go down? Which other Dems went down and when?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Interesting how the dems were all so quick to visit the border during the trump administrations time in power for those photo opportunities.

Crowd of hypocrites.

https://www.wonkette.com/very-concerned-republicans-make-run-to-border-to-find-facts-photo-ops

What did they accomplish? Why is this an effective use of the office of the Vice President

Granted, it can't possibly be a bigger waste of time than...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Brian? wrote: »
    Were they now? How many times did Harris or Biden go down? Which other Dems went down and when?

You won't ever get an answer.

They should go down and take a photo with the half build wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Brian? wrote: »
    What do you think he should do differently?
    astrofool wrote: »
    So, WhomadeGod, do you agree that Biden should push for raising the minimum wage to try and increase the employment numbers?
    Kamala Harris hasnt been to europe either remember.

Are you going to answer the questions you were asked before disappearing? Are you here to engage in a discussion or merely to post nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Well first things first on the border. Hurricane levies need to be repaired that were disrupted by border wall construction.

Maybe they were right about a border crisis. Just not the one republicans wanted to talk about.

• Advertisement

What a shift!!

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1402975870290116618?s=19

It's almost as if no other country thought trump knew what he was doing.

(Obviously, they are all wrong and trump is right....)

everlast75 wrote: »
    It's almost as if no other country thought trump knew what he was doing

Nah, that time when the UN general assembly all collectively laughed at him, they were laughing with him, not at him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    What a shift!!

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1402975870290116618?s=19

It's almost as if no other country thought trump knew what he was doing.

(Obviously, they are all wrong and trump is right....)

That sort of information will get spun as meaning that Biden is a soft touch and they are all happy that they have an easy mark in the White House now.

Unlike the political powerhouse and "Worlds Greatest Negotiatior" (*tm*) that they all cowered in fear before, namely Donald J. Trump esq.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

That sort of information will get spun as meaning that Biden is a soft touch and they are all happy that they have an easy mark in the White House now.

Unlike the political powerhouse and "Worlds Greatest Negotiatior" (*tm*) that they all cowered in fear before, namely Donald J. Trump esq.

Why can't there be some truth to that statement though? country with biggest change towards positive, Germany, literally did just get a pass on Nordstream 2 under Biden.

I am sure the answer will be a load of snark about 'trump supporters'

Why can't there be some truth to that statement though? country with biggest change towards positive, Germany, literally did just get a pass on Nordstream 2 under Biden.

So, assuming you are absolutely right on Germany, what about the rest?

Why does one apparent reason for one country mean that the rest of the data should be binned?

There's no doubt that people will view Biden as "easier to deal with" but I don't believe that that makes him a "soft touch" just as Obamas so called "Apology tour" didn't make him some kind of Beta as the Right Wing Media would have had you believe.

The question was about "Confidence in the US President to do the right thing in International affairs". Clearly International leaders feel that Biden will be a reliable honest negotiator and partner and broadly speaking if he agrees to something today , he'll honour that agreement tomorrow.

Being a "tough negotiator" or someone who holds firm on a particular issue shouldn't have a major impact on the confidence levels that one country has in another leadership. They are usually all mature adult professionals.

Being an unreliable petulant narcissist who pivots relentlessly based on how the media reacts to his actions absolutely does though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

it is a statement on the internet. Therefore I would want proof of it first. I talk to people in one of the countries listed. No one has mentioned that. They all prefer Biden for reasons of sanity. Trump was repeatedly abused by other world leaders for PR which indicates he couldn't be that much of a hard man. If you think of Macron, Putin, Kim Jon, Trudeau all used 1 on 1s with him. Add in Merkel if you want to include the phone call of her explaining the EU to him though that didn't seem intentional. There was even a pro Trump group in China who figured it would help take the US down a peg or two to have to have him as President for longer.

There is evidence showing Trump is a hard man as false and little evidence other countries see Biden is weak. That is why that statement is bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

https://www.cityam.com/uk-spends-nearly-8m-to-lengthen-newquay-runway-for-bidens-landing-at-g7-summit/
    The UK has reportedly spent over £7.8m to extend the runway at Newquay airport to allow US aircraft to land for the G7 summit.

The runway had to be extended to allow US President Joe Biden to land on Air Force One amid concerns about the existing infrastructure being able to handle the large aircraft, it has been reported.

The US President and the First Lady, Jill Biden, arrived at Cornwall Airport Newquay shortly before 11.45pm on Wednesday.

The news comes amid other reports of costs relating to the summit including the £70m cost of policing.

So much for climate control and being green.

What a shocking waste of money, if the runway was extended for Trump there would be outrage in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

https://www.cityam.com/uk-spends-nearly-8m-to-lengthen-newquay-runway-for-bidens-landing-at-g7-summit/

What a shocking waste of money, if the runway was extended for Trump there would be outrage in the media.

You’re really reaching for dirt to pin on Biden. It’s hilarious.

• Advertisement

You're almost 3 months late with that faux outrage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-56484551

Looks like the biased **** that you read didn't pick up on that sooner, poor buggers.

Advertisement