Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Can anyone imagine if the great orange one had actually won the US presidential election and presided over this mess, that the chorus line on here would be singing his praises like they are for the current incumbent?

Clown show lads, no self awareness whatsoever. At least journalists get paid for that level of devotion. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't really see people "singing his praises" , but what I do see is people believing that regardless of how good bad or indifferent the performance has been over the last few weeks in Afghanistan , it won't be a major factor in the Elections next year.

No one is going to resign , no one is going to lose an election because of things done or not done in Afghanistan.

The US wanted out and they are out - Not smoothly , not cleanly but they are out.

The current noise will fade fairly quickly (it already is) and what will remain is that underlying fact - The US are out of Afghanistan and the "forever war" is over and that's all that matters to the vast majority of US voters.

That doesn't for a moment minimise the state of Afghanistan or the brutal civil war that will probably kick off there soon , but US voters won't really care anymore. Their family members won't be there in harms way so it'll just be another news item about a place they aren't interested in.

Stuff like the Texas Abortion law , the economy and voting rights are what will be factors in the next Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,705 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yet another example of do as we say not as we do.

The hypocrisy and double standards is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yet another example of trying to drag everything into the gutter, if there is an equivalence here where you believe something unlawful happened during the call, do explain it.

Though it is funny to see Jr. use the "orange man bad" terminology for his father.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You’re easily shocked if it takes your breath away.

Pearl clutching nonsense

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

It's just politics. They are as bad as each other, blue or red, democrat or republican. No morals or standards.

But the orange clown didn't win the election, Biden won so this is all on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But it isn't "as bad as each other" that seems to be the sole drive of a lot of posts to try and equivalence class two things that aren't equivalent so that the QGOP supporters feel less awful about their cr*ppy life choices.

But it's becoming very obvious when it happens, MisterAnarchy's post are all essentially about dragging everything down, your posts seem designed to paint Biden as some sort of demon but without adding any evidence or proper commentary. I'm sure a few weak minded people don't see it, but I'm not sure you'll get too many of them on boards, which reduces your accounts to parody.

However, I would call a distinction between the DNC, GOP and the QGOP that most of the online rabble are trying to push as their narrative, brazen, never apologize, everything is bad so just be an awful human (very Ayn Rand funnily enough, though they'd balk at following a female), drag everyone down to the gutter. It's stopped working because it's so obvious that's the tactic at play.

1 Side wants you to rat on a teenage girl for having an abortion and lock up the doctor for doing it.

No, not as bad as each other. Not by a long shot.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

The worst thing about it is that they turn the people against each other rather than the politicians. In Ireland we all just hate whoever’s in government, seems healthier tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Exactly my point , like the hypocrisy McConnell and GOP showed with the supreme court nomination, but some on here refuse to believe dems are capable of also being hypocritical, all as bad as each other imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nonsense. Apathy towards politicians was a major contributor towards the predecessor winning.

Apathy towards politics leads is also a major contributor to dictators getting into power.

To bring it back to the current admin, not releasing a conversation because of political reasons is completely different to refusing to do so because it would incriminate oneself. The world is not black and white. You must grasp concept and understand context to debate a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Obviously people in the states have apathy towards politicians. That goes without saying. The problem is that that apathy towards one political "side" is stoked by the other side, and it manifests as hatred for one another. In Ireland we're much more united by our apathy towards government.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

First past the post means that you are not voting for who you want as you simply split the votes. It means you vote against who you don't want to get in. Ireland is much more manageable and I have voted for people knowing they had no chance of getting in but still had my vote count for who I wanted to get in out of the realistic options. Though it should be noted that recent history has the incumbents winning their election with Clinton, W. and Obama managing in spite of how it should be a penalty (you have to defend your record, the opponent can generally attack).

The division and communities not seeing outside their own is part of why many can't accept that Biden won the election.

TBF its only idiots and only in America where everything is so divisive that people think the election was rigged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I'd give him a 9/10 honestly. He executed his election promise and I believe the losses were minimal given the situation. I don't believe that he believed the ANA were going to offer much resistance. What difference does it make anyway? They were leaving, they do not control the ANA. In terms of biden's performance it's hard to determine exactly what he is responsible for, he makes the determination to go and under what deadline and how to react/general diplomacy with the Taliban and isisk and international allies. The execution is on the military. I think it was a fine job in a difficult situation that he did not have complete control of. And now they are out, the decision has saved the lives of future American soldiers and the resources wasted on military support. It has also strengthened the argument for the us to divest from the military industrial machine. Perhaps they will never occupy another country! All positive results in my opinion.

Shocked ?

Why would I be shocked ?

Its par for the course with the Democrats.

Yes but given they make up at least a large majority in one of the main parties in the most powerful countries on earth it still becomes a big deal. Especially when they are willing to launch a coup attempt over it.

You said it was “breathtaking”, that implies shock. Unless you don’t actually think it’s breathtaking

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You mean like members of the GOP demanding that Biden & Harris be impeached for Afghanistan but claimed that Democrats efforts to impeach Trump for multiple things was a horrible , terrible partisan act designed only to attack the opposition???

Or when GOP Governors enact laws preventing businesses from being able to decide who can/cannot enter their buildings or use their services in relation to Covid , but those same GOP people lose their sh!t when someone tries to tell a baker that they can't decide whether to serve Gay people or not.

You mean that kind of "Do as we say, not as we do" stuff?

Yeah you're right the hypocrisy and double-standards are indeed "Breathtaking".

I'd include stupefying levels of cognitive dissonance as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Talks a tough game on China but behind the curtain deals are being made.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/exclusive-us-approves-licenses-huawei-buy-auto-chips-sources-2021-08-25/

U.S. officials have approved license applications worth hundreds of millions of dollars for China's blacklisted telecom company Huawei to buy chips for its growing auto component business, two people familiar with the matter said.

Huawei, the world's largest telecommunications equipment maker, has been hobbled by trade restrictions imposed by the Trump administration on the sale of chips and other components used in its network gear and smartphones businesses. The Biden administration has been reinforcing the hard line on exports to Huawei, denying licenses to sell chips to Huawei for use in or with 5g devices.

But in recent weeks and months, people familiar with the application process told Reuters the U.S. has granted licenses authorizing suppliers to sell chips to Huawei for such vehicle components as video screens and sensors.

I wouldnt call it a coup attempt, just a bunch of riled up idiots. It was clear as day when they got into the capitol they hadn't any sort of plan. Just mindless idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Bookmarked pending the result of the Jan 6 investigations

We have been over this, we will wait and see if its declared a coup attempt so.

So because the GOP are hypocrites its perfectly excusable for the Democrats to be hypocrites too.

Is that your defence ?

Having a plan is irrelevant. It was a coup attempt. It was not a well thought out coup attempt but it was a coup attempt as stated by people who were there partaking in it on the day, women who got maced is the first that comes to mind there who stated that it was a revolution. They also very clearly went after elected officials but again didn't have a good plan there though plenty of politicians from both sides of the aisle were pretty worried.

It quite clearly was a coup attempt. Just a terrible one

they/them/theirs

The Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans they are just better at hiding it and have a massive special interest media lobby behind them.

• Advertisement

I'm not making a defense of anyone , just pointing out that it's you that's being hypocritical , not the GOP or the Democrats necessarily. All Politicians score points off each other and frequently display selective amnesia regarding their own previous actions when an opportunity arises to have a cut off an opponent , it's kind of expected. Not good , but expected.

Where are your posts decrying the double-standards of people like De Santis or Abbott or indeed any number of GOP apparatchiks who repeatedly display the kinds of "breathtaking" behaviour you accuse the Democrats of.

If you dislike the behaviour , call it out wherever you see it , not just when it's done by people you don't like.

In this specific example I don't necessarily agree that a desire to withhold the specifics of the Biden/Ghani call are comparable to the Trump/Zelinsky call.

There is no suggestion that Biden broke any laws during the Ghani call whereas it was absolutely the case that Trump has being investigated for potentially breaking the law - which it turns out , he did albeit the GOP Senate wouldn't hold him accountable.

Advertisement