Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

I've no idea but if they just sit on their hands the damage will be done and the orange clown may slip back in again. I agree Harris was a very weak pick for VP and at Biden's age the Dems should have seen an issue on the horizon and went with someone stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It is a real thing alright, been around for at least 25 years.

But it only hit the mainstream in the last 2 years or so, when Trump and his zealots started blathering on about how it, or their own uninformed/misinformed/disingenuous representation of it, was ripping the very fabric of America apart.

Here on boards, there are 5.8k hits for the term "Critical race theory", only 5 of which predate 2020, then it explodes in usage, just like everywhere else.

It's rapidly becoming on of those terms, along with 'racist' and marxist' and so on, that get cast about so easily and widely and are applied to anything the poster just doesn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Well it's better to sit on their hands then have an even worse candidate in Harris. Maybe they could give Barack a call!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Imo divisive identity politics and the transgender stuff being pushed onto kids in schools is a step too far for a lot of people, that and ideas like disbanding police departments like in Minneapolis.

I believe a large majority of people are against such things but most won't state their opinion publicly which gives the illusion that such policies are mainstream ideas and far more popular than reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If any of that were true you might have a point. Transgender issues are not being pushed onto kids. They are being informed of the reality of the world. Divisive identity politics? Politics has always been about identity, it is just now that some people with different identities want to be involved that it becomes an issue.

Nobody is talking about disbanding police. They are saying that the issues are so ingrained that a restart needs to be made to give everyone a sense that things are changing. Sort of like the PSNI in NI. Policing never actually stopped, it just needed a reorg and a rebadge to get more people involved.

I agree that a large amount of people are against all of the above, because they have been lied to about what is really happening. I would lay a bet that the very people decrying identity politics, or teaching about transgender issues in schools, are the very same that demand they their religion be respected as it is fundamental to who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

But the GOP are the only ones talking about that stuff.

Don't get me wrong , they are making gains from it , but the reality is very very different to all of the wild claims of the GOP.

"Transgender bathrooms" are the "They are coming for your guns" for the modern age.

And just as no one is "coming for their guns" no one is trying to turn everyone Transgender and ban heterosexuality etc. etc.

It is manufactured Cultures wars - Like I said , the GOP/MAGA crowd are stirring up their bases successfully with it , but it's bullsh!t.

Stuff like CRT is a classic example - Either they have no idea what it is , or if they do know what it is, it's not being taught or even applicable in the schools they are protesting at.

The GOP currently exist only on manufactured outrage - They have no core policies of their own , no vision for the future - Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

CNN and Fox are toilet material news networks. They gather viewers by promoting hate against others and are every much as damaging as Facebook when it comes to warping minds. That's America in a nutshell though, everything is black or white no grey whatsoever.

exactly you are either with me or against me and actually most people bar the extremes on either side are in the middle. Media outlets blaming voters essentially for who they are voting for. Vote different to me-bad, vote with me -good. Its laughable how childish it all is.

All they are talking about is white this white that, not questioning why people voted like they did.

Just before im accused, i literally typed msnbc into twitter search and theses videos came up, some of the people tweeting could be nut jobs for all i know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

She will continue to keep grifting, she has made a career of it like so many others in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Yeap, a good synopsis on why some of the Democrats will never get it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't know if "no one is coming for their guns". I seem to recall rather a large protest in Virginia last year after the Governor signed a few laws on the matter.

Anyone who doesn't think that the Democrats as a group (there are certainly exceptions) are running on an overall anti-gun platform hasn't heard of strongly Democratic states like California or New York.

This is the new future Lt Governor of Virginia. Again, I would note the disproportionately large military vote in that State. It has the third-highest veteran population per capita in the country. The subject did not poll particularly highly in the ranking of 'important factors of the election' but it is definitely in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You have relatively neutral outlets, moving up then to hyperbolic/show type news (with 4 or more talking heads), all the way up to loony stuff.

The media in the US is a sliding scale in terms of fairness. 0 being very fair and 10 being the extreme.

I'd put OANN/Newsmax at 9.

I'd put a lot of Fox at 7 or 8 for certain shows.

I'd put CNN at 5.

Overall, it is ratings driven and so people are being told what they want to hear. Also, the whole format fits what americans are used to - Dramatic music and stand out headlines. I couldn't stand if I was exposed to it 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

New Jersey is arguably a bigger concern for the Dems as that should not be close whatsoever.

The GOP have made a token effort their and picked a nobody against a petty popular dude in a state which Biden won by 16% and the result is still not known the day after voting.

The CRT narrative is good for so much of the media, the conservative media can scream "think of the children" while the likes of MSNBC can call everyone racist ala Joy Reid and the outrage hits will make money for all.

Its much more complicated than that however.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

Yes white this white that, it is critical race theory to its core. People can suggest it's a boogie man all they want, but it's prevalent in certain media outlets and certainly in the more elite universities amongst the humanities and social sciences in the US.

Manafactured?

There's been parent school meetings and protests around the country over the past year trying to stop such "subjects" being taught to children, there was a vote to disband the police department in Minneapolis last night, that's ignoring all the evil police rhetoric coming from the same side.

At what point do you stop pretending these radical policies and the attempt to implement them don't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It isn't that people don't think it is an issue, hell we had people gather yesterday for the rebirth of JFK Jr, it is that the issue is manufactured.

There really isn't a big issue, it suits some people to make it look there is. 'Subjects'? What does that even mean? You don't believe Transgender is a thing?

I already explained what the vote to disband is in relation too. Many people don't trust the police, so they are right to look to reestablish it, as was the case with PSNI. They are not looking to simply get rid of the police, they are looking to restart it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Most of those protests at School board meetings were for school districts that weren't teaching CRT , had no intention of teaching CRT and the topic had never even been discussed yet "activists" turned up often with no connection to the districts or without children in the associated schools to stand up and launch into screeds about CRT etc. etc. making for great clips for social media to be reposted as "Desperate Father/Mother defends their children from the evils of Leftism!!!" when none of those things were actually true.

CRT is a very specific topic, yet the GOP have latched on to it and are now associating any teaching of American history they think makes European ancestors look bad as "CRT!!!!!"

For example , saying that Christopher Columbus killed a lot of natives when he came to America is apparently "Teaching Critical Race Theory" now rather than the simple historical fact that it is.

So yes - Manufactured.

• Advertisement

I don't believe transgender issues and talking about sex should be pushed down children's throats. I don't believe many of the activists are performing in good faith and I don't believe every person claiming to be trans is either. If the Democrats wanted to be smart about it and actually get people on their side on the issue, they should introduce legislation that subjects about sex are introduced in the school curriculum when kids begin to reach pubescence. All it does before then is poison children's minds with concepts they can't rationally understand at those ages, and divides parents and communities because it's seen as a political topic, which I agree it is to a major extent.

The CRT push is the same, it divides people but in that case not only parents and the communities but also the children. Instead of growing up being taught to treat people as individuals, they'll be taught that black kids are different than white kids and ultimately result in pseudo segregation doing absolutely nothing positive for race relations. Divide, divide, divide and forcing people into their identity group is all these policies achieve.

You say many people don't trust the police, yet in Minneapolis where the most staunch anti police rhetoric occurs with leaders like Ilhan Omar who led the charge against the police department there, the notion to dismantle it was vehemently thrown out by the voting public. Instead of proposing a disbanding of the department why didn't she and Democrats campaign for a change to the structure of the department that most people could get behind such as increased training in life or death situations and increased oversight? Instead they wanted to send mental health professionals and others not trained to attend potential physical altercations or worse, and only if such incidents escalated would the police arrive to make an arrest, that is cloud cuckoo land stuff.

Long story short, the Democrats bend over for the radical progressive fringe of the party in fear of backlash, and subtly allow these things to progress and linger despite the lack of full endorsement. The problem for them is that the public see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Maybe don't try to label parents "domestic terrorists"? This among other issues has caused a huge backlash against the democrats.

Think van jones hits the nail on the head on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He's right, but look at most of the comments. Basically it's 'No , YOURE annoying' and '(fingers in ears)LA LA LA can't hear you'. Oh and also the old reliable he's a white supremacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,222 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Do more press conferences. Talk about future plans.

I have to say I don't get the whole CRT thing and why it needs to be taught.

Mixing races in every school is what I'd like to see and you've no choice in the matter if you want to have a recognised school.

The first few times that I meet a person I realise the colour of their skin but once I get to know them I completely forget about it. For that reason I think mixed race schools will solve a lot of issues.

As for the subject of gender neutrality and transgender stuff. I think you just explain to kids that everybody has a choice as regards what they'd like to be and give the the different names of these choices but that's as far as I'd want it to go with kids under 16.

Of course there's so many idiots in the US that there's always a large group of dissenters no matter what you'd like to do.

What has the left got to do with transgender stuff? I seen.l that mentioned in a post.

Post edited by eagle eye on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

“Critical Race Theory” isn’t being taught in elementary, middle or high schools. It’s taught in very specific cases in Universities.

US history if taught right, should be pretty clear that the US was founded on racism. Racism against indigenous Americans and imported African slaves. That’s not a theory, it’s a fact. The wing nuts don’t want that taught and call that “critical race theory”. It’s a massive con by the right to muddy the waters. As usual.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I get that but we have to look forward and not back.

What's the best way forward? I think it's mixed race classes everywhere and those kids should grow up without race issues. Well you'd hope that'd happen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There are mixed race classes everywhere. That’s nothing to do with critical race theory.

We have to look forward and back. The only way to understand where we are now is to understand how we got here. The only way to heal and move on is to acknowledge the ills of the past.

you can teach history and look forward to a better society at the same time. It’s not about forcing boundaries, it’s quite the opposite.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement