Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Can’t ever remember Biden suggesting injecting disinfectant on live television.

I hear it can help protect you from windmills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Drop this now, it's off topic and coming across as trolling. I suggest you read post #1 again

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Oh Joseph 😀 Joe Biden has approved a $650m sale of missiles to Saudi Arabia, months after vowing to end arms sales to the Gulf kingdom and labelling it a “pariah” during his election campaign. Another perfect example of what I've said since I was old enough to begin voting. Politicians only tell people what they think they want to hear, but in the end, they are going to do what they want without regard to any supposed promises they may have made... and of course, they will justify it as a matter of national security or national best interests etc..

Joseph defenders to your workstations 😊

Watch the Russell Brand video on it today, very good. Biden is a complete hypocrite...

• Advertisement

Ah he's just like any other president be it Trump, Obama, Clinton they are all as bad as each other and all hypocrites. Sure look at saint Obama turning up at the COP by private jet this week to lecture us on climate change as one small example. The hilarious thing is we have posters on here who "deeply believe Biden is a good man" as one put it recently. It's actually pathetic to watch anyone defend him or anyone of his ilk.

Ya, agreed. There's essentially no difference between them all, except in the minds of the fanatics on both sides. Anyway, I'm outta here before they all arrive...👋

They probably busy reporting posts to mods that are critical of the great leader. North Korea here we come 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Was he supposed to walk to Glasgow or get the boat? Which option would have appeased your fake outrage?

He need not have turned up at all. Who's outraged, im laughing at the guy.

• Advertisement

You're clearly easily amused then. Anyway, as you and your buddies would say at the mere mention of the former guy, "this is the Biden thread."

You would have laughed if he hadn't turned up too. You're just laughing for the sake of laughing.

And criticising for the sake for criticising. Never anything constructive to offer because that would require some actual thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,220 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I don't think I ever called him a good man. I don't think a good man makes a great leader. I don't think Obama was a great President but I do think he is a great, and good, man.

This sale of arms, there's only one thing I can think of and it's that we just went through a pandemic and the country needs money and probably lower fuel prices. I'll be interested to see how fuel prices are over the next couple of years in the US.

I'm not defending the sale as I think it's wrong to arm monsters like these people. I'm just looking for reasons that might make some sense. We'll see over the next while if fuel prices in the US drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

American presidents will largely do what American presidents will do, but there is a hypocrisy here from those who support Biden that they wont call him out on this anyway near the way they went after Trump for example when it came to arms sales to Saudi Arabia.

A lot of it Mark is because Trump was the last president and Biden ran against him, they are baseline scared to call Biden out on anything as it might be viewed as indicating support for the orange lunatic. They fail to see the separation and nuance between the two issues. Trump was a very very poor president but that doesn't excuse Biden's many and varied failures thus far.

It's boring arguing with them at this stage as they are all in at the Biden alter every much as invested as the Trumpers where. America and it's politics are a mess as are it's divided supporters of each cretin in charge for the last couple of decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭Christy42

You have given people about 5 minutes here. No one has posted in favour of it here. I disagree heavily with the arms sale.

I think what you are not getting is that most on here would likely not support Biden in their own country. However the US is generally pretty short on options. Most on here will be closer to the likes of AOC, Bernie or Warren who are closer to the European system. Unfortunately the US system means Biden will only be challenged from the right in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

People "went after" Trump because his supporters were claiming that he was involved in no wars yadda, yadda, yadda. His supporters tried to make out that there were no drone strikes being carried out under him too, when all he did was just stop reporting them. Trump's supporters were trying to make him out to be some sort of angel and claiming that under a Democrat president, it would be "business as usual".

Trying to pretend that Trump was different in that regard was where the "hypocrisy" lay.

Biden is doing what all American presidents do, including Trump. He's carrying out a long standing American tradition of selling arms around the world to their allies and co-belligerents, even if those allies and co-belligerents are less than responsible with the product they are buying. Anyone expecting that to change under any US president is living in a fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

DAE think it strange that Biden referred to someone as a "negro" today and the American corporate press are busy mostly ignoring it and sending their fact checkers off to tell everyone that he didn't mean to and anyway it's fine?

Or nah?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Are you offended? Are black people offended? Or are you bringing up something that doesn’t matter a damn for petty point scoring?

I am not sure if the term negro is even racist. I need a ruling.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

I'm pretty dismayed by the double-standard. If it were literally any republicans (or independent for that matter), the country would be in uproar.

Or are we pretending that the media haven't been stoking racial division and tensions at every opportunity?

Maybe they're just turning over a leaf and it just happened to coincide with POTUS using that language.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

A quick Google of the context and it sounds like he meant to reference the "Negro league" from baseball. So two things, you omitted context which drastically changes it and this amounts to Biden making a gaffe which isn't exactly new. Trying to claim it's in some way racist given the context is a tad dense.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I’ll ask again, seeing as you dodged the question: is the term negro offensive?

I feel you’re going a tad out of the way to be “dismayed”.

The difference in reaction can simply be explained by context. As I point out regularly, context is important. Biden was talking about a player from a baseball league that was actually called the “Negro League” . Are you in favour of retroactively changing names now?

Most Republicans being collared for racism have a history of making racist statements and are actually racist. Sometimes not, but that’s why context is so important

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 38,220 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

When I was young it was considered an acceptable term and it was used in the 2010 census in the US but the word isn't acceptable anymore.

Lots of black people have considered it offensive for a long time. I remember Jesse Jackson saying he felt the term was offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,185 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Trying to claim it's in some way racist given the context is a tad dense.

It's just more bad faith shitposting. Not worth the bandwidth.

I didn't claim it was racist. My point is that he made a pretty big race-based gaffe in a country that is almost drowning in race-based hysteria, and a media apparatus that would fry any non-democrat for making it is desperately throwing out "fact checks" (like the one you posted) to make sure he doesn't take heat. I think that running opinion through fact-check apparatus is a pretty new and notable development.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I dont know is it racist but it's certainly socially unacceptable to use the word in this day and age, and has been for a long time. Surely everyone knows this?

And yeah he talks about the negro league in the same sentence but still calls him "the great negro" before that. Pretty poor form to excuse him on what he was "meant" to say when others would never be afforded the same luxury. Why can't he get his words out properly? It's so embarrassing

The snopes fact-check wasn't addressing a claim of racism either. They were addressing the issues of what Biden actually said. They go on to confirm that he literally said what people think he said(confirmed by a white house press release) and yet still come to the conclusion that :

While he did indeed utter the words “I’ve adopted the attitude of the great Negro,” and said them in that order, the context surrounding that sentence fragment does not support the claim or implication that Biden “called” or “referred to” Satchel Paige as “the great Negro.” 

Full exerpt from the white house press release "And I just want to tell you, I know you’re a little younger than I am, but, you know, I’ve adopted the attitude of the great Negro — at the time, pitcher in the Negro Leagues — went on to become a great pitcher in the pros — in the Major League Baseball after Jackie Robinson. His name was Satchel Paige. "

The age of double think where fact check websites want you to believe he didn't call Satchel Paige the great negro is upon us. He absolutely did. He may not have intended to but he did. He may have meant to say something different, but that's what he said.

The question of whether it's racist is just a deflection. They want you to believe he didn't even say it.

The way people were bu11shitted into thinking he was like, the kindest man in the history of politics, and the way they actually believed it was ridiculous..

• Advertisement

Since he's been known for making such errors for the entirety of his career and the context is incredibly relevant, it's not something anyone would be dragging a politician over coals for. You seem to be annoyed by the fact that black Americans and nobody else has an issue with it.

In relation to getting his words out properly, the previous guy referred to airplanes during the revolutionary war... And he didn't get any luxury over racist remarks cause what he meant was pretty clear and repeated over and over again. It was never minor slip ups that defined him as a bigot.

Advertisement