Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The "She's a woman and a POC" metric? What a laughable claim. Worse than:

Agnew - resigned, convicted of tax evasion, probation

Nixon (was VP)

Cheney

Nelson Rockefeller (generally my vote for worst person to be VP in the 20th century, there were some real losers in the 19th)

Let's see... Biden calls the Ireland Rugby team to congratulate them and promises to visit next time he's in Ireland. Not sure what he and the team were talking about wrt Wales(?) Still, a nice gesture, his brother's a big Rugby fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Quintessence Model

First of all I meant 30, not 40. Hit the 4 instead of the 3. Even so, out of all those you've named, only Cheney has been a VP in the last 40 years. Not quite the pertinent post you were hoping for me thinks.

And her approval rating is (a lot) lower than that of even Cheney at the same time of his vice presidency as per the above linked article. Pretty abysmal stuff alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So.. let me get this straight.

After making an assumption and being told you're wrong, you double down despite there being no actual evidence and use hyperbolic language too?

How very Trumpian.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

The two worst presidents in the history of the United States one after another. Biden is sinking fast and needs a big win of some sort to steady the ship. His pals in the media are trying their best for him but it's not having the desired effect. Worrying times for the Dems 😕

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You clearly don't know much about US history if you think Biden is the second worst president ever. And you make this judgement after he's 10 months in office. You just sound ridiculous and can't be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Are you basing this solely on approval ratings or something else?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No, he fully enabled Trumps craziness until it could have landed him in prison for sedition. If he didn’t do his duty as VP, a charge of sedition was the least of his problem.

He didn’t help keep the evangelicals on side. They already though Trump was their saviour.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I’m not talking about 2016, I’m talking about now.

This kind of debating makes my head hurt. I honestly don’t know what your end goal is here. Biden has pissed off the progressive wing of the party. Everyone knows it. I point this out to you and all of a sudden we are debating if AOC and Bernie are aligned. Which was never open to debate.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,702 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Very good video, unusual for the Left Wing NYT to come out with something criticising its readership.

Rules for thee, but not for me should be the Democrats mantra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Serious lack of Biden posts in the Biden thread 😂

VP's since 1991:

Dan Quayle - good guy after, laughable dimbulb while VP

Al Gore - won the popular vote for President in 2000 but Electoral College shenanigans did him in (sound familiar?) As strongly pro-environment as any senior US official ever, likely would have been a far better president that GWB

Dick Cheney - some think of him as a war criminal and was a thug throughout his VP career

Mike Pence - spineless jellyfish, creepy and his own President was in favor of hanging him

Kamala Harris - first woman VP in history, seems like an average VP despite the relentless media hounding that's a feature of 21st century politics. Strong law-and-order background, elected Senator from the US's largest state.

Good for the Times to have put it up - imagine if Fox or Nazimax would put up something similar.

Using the Federal election pledges to slag the states is pretty lame. Did they visit each state and review their policies? Are the racist housing policies they describe any different than any other state? Or is the issue the hypocrisy and it's better that the GOP be openly racist in their redlining, gerrymandering and vaccine inequalities, for a few examples? The reporters are disingenuous at best. For impartial comparison, what did the 2020 GOP documents hold?

Oh that's right, the 2020 GOP platform was "I'm Donald Trump. Vote for me."

And, the discussions about who is taxed what in Washington state is really disingenuous - there's no state income tax there (notice that Texas was #2 in tax inequality despite being a states-rights s**thole for as long as I can remember.) So, if people are only taxed based on property tax, and sales tax, those who are wealthier would have lower tax rates. They fail to consider federal income tax in their analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Things are really looking bad for democrats in the 2022 mid terms. Democrats will be able to thank Biden for his march against America, the misery he is causing the poor and working class, and Bidenflation which will hang on well past the election.

If democrats were smart I think they should get Harris out of the way right after the 2022 mid-term election that will cause a trouncing of the democrat party as inflation continues and the misery index of Americans remains high. 71% of voters, including half of Democrats, believe the country is on the wrong track thanks to Biden. Having Harris, who only has an approval rating in the 20’s, remain VP will pretty much force the Democrat to support her and a losing ticket in 2024. Replacing her with, or even running against the likes of Pete Buttigieg, Stacey Abrams or Elizabeth Warren in a primary would just guarantee the same continued misery to the poor and nuiddle class that Biden is responsible for. Their best bet would be to get Harris to resign due to her failures with her main job of dealing with southern border, and with he promise of some plumb government position later... and then replace her with Andy Beshear who has done well as a Democrat in a Red State because of his moderate policies and ability to get democrats and republicans to work together. Then Biden could resign in late 2023 and Beshear could take over and actually get democrats and republicans working together for the betterment of the country.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"Bidenflation"???

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Seriously??

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

So Bidens one and only idea to help clear the backlog at California ports doesn't seem to have done anything to help ease the crisis. It's worse than ever. Gas prices continue to rise also as well as food and other products.. This winter is going to be really tough for a lot of people.

GOP: There's a shortage of dock workers at the ports in California. What are going to do to fix the problem eh?!

Biden: Introduce a $15 minimum wage.

GOP: Wait no.

Does Biden run the port? Or Long Beach? Or LA even?

why exactly is this his fault?

they/them/theirs

I'm surprised conservatives aren't suing Biden when they slip on a wet floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

"The American Rescue Plan – passed in March – included expanded credit payments, which increased from $2,000 in 2020 to $3,600 for each child under age six, and $3,000 for children ages six through 17, this year. The funds are distributed in monthly payments of either $250 or $300 for each child.

Experts have said this action could help lift millions of children out of poverty"

Yeah, he's really causing more misery for the poor.

Also, explain how Biden is causing inflation.

How is the president responsible for gas prices?

Not sure if you're topped up recently here, but inflation is a global problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,222 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know if you ever spend any time in the US but the scariest time I was there was in 2018, most people were struggling financially and I'm not talking about the less well off but people with two decent jobs trying to keep things going.

Things aren't nearly as bad now even with all that covid has done.

I'm no fan of Kamala Harris but suggesting a VP get dumped is ridiculous. And the VP doesn't affect things at all. Where the Dems are next year is all on Biden and we'll see how things go then.

I have to say I'm sensing an anti-women air in your post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes, presidents or leaders of countries don’t set gas prices.

Inflation is a global problem atm.

You assume incorrectly. The reason is because Harris is disliked by democrats, independents, and republicans alike. Wasn't she the first person to drop out of the presidential democrat primary because she couldn't get any support? And having her on the top of the ticket because of her extremely poor favorability ratings in 2024 would surely be a losing proposition in the hopes of keeping the POTUS job in democrat hands.

Wrong again. The high prices in the US is because of Joe Biden's disastrous energy policies and playing to his radical base, rather than doing what was best for the American people. On day one Biden killed of the Keystone XL pipeline and also stopped new oil and gas leasing on federal land and waters and imposed hefty new regulations on domestic energy production. He’s ramming through billions in new job-crushing energy taxes and regulations that will increase energy costs to pay for all his boondoggle spending plans. Less production from the US gave Russia and the OPEC nations the green light to raise prices because demand stays high and they now control the supply. So Biden’s now begging OPEC and Russia to increase production of foreign oil. Russia couldn’t care less about the US and Biden disrespected Saudi Arabia who in response refuse to increase production, causing the rise in oil prices. And now he's looking at canceling Michigan’s L5 pipeline, which would deepen our shortage even more. If he really wanted to help people out being crushed by energy costs, he should put things back to the way Trump had it and don't screw with it.

She's not disliked by US citizens, since more than 81 million of them voted for her to be president if the heart of a man who will be 80+ during his term stopped beating.

• Advertisement

Gas/oil prices are high because of three things

• supply and demand
    • worker shortages
    • supply chain issues

all three of which the pandemic has been the primary cause of and all three of which has caused global prices to increase, not just American.

The things Biden has done (ended Keystone and cut down on fracking) have of course been a factor but they are for the better of America (and the world) in the long term.

Advertisement