Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The comparison was crime rate, and I'm sure the comparison with 2019 (or even Jan 2020) could show it's worse, tucker was comparing this year to last year and whipping his clapping seals into a frenzy about it. It's purposeful misinformation.

Here is some more data from pew research centre.

“Last year’s increase in the murder rate may have even exceeded the one measured in 1905, according to Dr. Robert Anderson, who oversees mortality statistics for the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics”

“But according to the FBI, there were 21,570 murders last year, up 29% from 16,669 in 2019 and the highest annual total since 1995”

So if tucker is wrong so is pew research and the daily mail and the FBI and the CDC. Maybe it’s better to address the problem here guys instead of nitpicking and denying it exists.

Again you speak so generally after a page of discussion, you sound like a hypnotised cult member! The crime rates are only available for the years in total, not specific months, you were the one who tried to raise that point repeatedly, as a straw man.

I’ll try one more time, since the country was in lockdown in 2020 according to you we should see a change in the murder rate, that’s what you seem to be getting at. How did the lockdowns affect the murder rate?

Tucker was referencing recently released data from January 2022 (they do stats weekly if you want to look it up....). There were actually fewer murders in January than last year, however crime was up 40% (38% actually, but probably not as good a headline), why do you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Question, if it's all to do with the pandemic, how come the USA seems to be the only country with this spike, there is rises in other countries but it's much smaller

• Advertisement

I've no doubt there has been a spike, joblessness and inflation cause that (the per capita murder rate in the US is also ridiculous). But there has been a few articles posted the last few days about the 40% rise in New York year on year in January, this is of course an invalid comparison due to lockdowns etc. last year, but tucker ran with it anyway and has all the acolytes scrambling around now trying to back it up and create their own narrative as to why. It's fascinating and scary to see people sucked in so easily by opinion pieces and using proved false talking points from the presidential election to back themselves up (or grabbing a random list of cities from a daily mail article).

As I've said, there is no doubt it is an issue but it should be done using comparative data rather than cherry picking a low point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Very telling that you focused on the admittedly significant increases in the contiguous United States but ignored the large decrease in Alaska.

Straight out of the Tucker Carlson and Fox News playbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

And the increase is nearly all in one community, one sixth of the population, a community where people people poll the highest for increasing or maintaining police funding.

An approach that rich suburban activists in the Democrats disagree with.

Though that is changing as communities fight back against the activists and put pressure on the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,137 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well drug addicts etc. didn't just suddenly give up crime because of covid and there were a lot less vacant homes to rob because most peoole were at home.

I'd guess that played a part in the increase.

Also people who normally seen each other for 10 hours or less per day, including sleep time, were tripping over each other all day and that may have led to fights and murders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You seem to be missing the point, while proving my point.

Tucker isn't wrong per se. He is presenting the problem to be much worse than it is by cherry picking the statistics he uses. Your own chart proves that, the increase in crime is far less dramatic that in the chart presented earlier. That's what Tucker does, he presents things being much worse than they actually are. Or else he lies. In this case he's exaggerating a statistic for shock value.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If we're being specific, Trump absolutely categorically did not have a boom, not even remotely close.

Whilst the positive trend that started under Obama continued under Trump pre covid, the rates of growth were slower than under any President in the previous 40+ years.

It should also be noted that a slow down had already started before Covid hit. The impacts of his utterly stupid and unnecessary tax cut had begun to bite, if anything Covid masked how bad that tax cut really was.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

When my kids were young, information like whether they'd napped or not was covered by asking " Did they sleep during the day?" when I picked them up. No camera needed.

And whilst I'm sure your intentions ( and indeed most peoples) are decent and normal, I think we all know that what is being sought here is all about driving a hyper-conservative agenda and getting ammunition to attack teachers.

Post edited by Quin_Dub on

I’ll have to agree to disagree because that chart earlier had cities and the pew one was states, but if you have more evidence of Carlson’s show doing this you could change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭eire4

Agree with you on both counts. But IMHO they are just going to continue in their drift further and further right as their 2 party system is utterly broken, corrupt and dysfunctional and I see no suggestion that will change any time soon.

I think we can agree that the picture is very different between the 2 right?

I don’t have time now, but I’ll show you more examples of this if you genuinely want to see.

they/them/theirs

Do sure when you get a chance. They are certainly different but broadly similar. KY and NY are among the highest on both. One particular city in Texas may have seen a large increase, Austin but this might be ‘diluted’ down because of the size of rural area in the state. I’m speaking out of my depth here not sure where even the data from the first imagine comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Thought I'd take a page out of the lefts playbook and bring up something someone said years ago.

Humour aside he was a fine man in his younger days and well spoken by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Must have been no polls or TV ratings released today.

Can a private company do as it pleases? Psaki’s calls for censorship of Joe Rogan, openly, from the press stand, has led to Spotify deleting 113 episodes(daily mail). Isn’t it an infringement of free speech when the government does it?

’If you don’t censor more you will face legal and regulatory reprisals’ and they conformed.

Last year AOC complained about Parler and three days later it was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Why don't you try saying what you want here? Say something racist or defamatory and then when you get banned, do try arguing with the mods that they're impinging on your free speech and see where that gets you.

Freedom of speech pertains to the government censoring you, however when you use a private company's platform, like Spotify or twitter, you are tied to their terms and conditions of use set out by that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,558 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A - Psaki didn't call for censorship of Rogan.

B - What you've done, is take a quote from Glenn Grenwald when speaking to Tucker Carlson, and posted it here as if it was something Psaki said. You shouldn't do that. Am I infringing on your free speech in pointing this out?

C - Rogan himself apparently requested podcasts be removed.

D - Parler disappeared because their server hosts recognized the non-runner it was to host content that was inciteful, inflammatory, racist and probably libelous, which was the case anyway, and not because AOC decided it was so.

E - Parler is still active and inconsequential, why haven't Trump and his acolytes made that the next big platform like they said they were going to do?

yes she did.

Greenwald is a decent, credible journalist worth listening to.

Rogan requested some episodes be removed a long time ago.

Parler disappeared because Amazon yanked the services out from under them.

You can paint speech you don’t like as hateful and bigoted as well, that’s what’ll happen to everyone at one stage or another if we continue this suppression of free speech. I’m sure that was used as a reason since the dawn of time. I was talking about the government’s calls for censorship.

they/them/theirs

Link to Psaki calling for Rogan to be censored please. If you're so sure she did it, producing a link should be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Shows you how powerful and popular Joe Rogan has become when the Whitehouse fear his influence.

That's what this is about as everything with Washington is Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,257 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You understand the difference between terms and conditions, and freedom of speech?

Where did Psaki say what you claimed? A simple link will suffice

• Registered Users Posts: 19,364 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Another nonsense post without the facts to back it up.

Heaven knows there are things one could criticise this administration for, but why is it people here are completely incapable of doing a competent job of it?

• Advertisement

You come on here complaining about Biden and the ongoing pandemic and how it is still an issue, and now you come on here saying they are wrong to have an issue with someone publishing false and misleading information in relation to it. Do you see any conflict with these two positions?

Do you think it is ok for Republican and Conservative media such as Fox to blame Biden for not doing enough while simultaneously undermining his efforts to have as many people as possible vaccinated?

Advertisement