Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Time will tell with all these spying and Trump investigations I guess.

Reflects horribly on the United States as a whole though no matter which side of the political divide your on.

In the space of a year

*Trump second impeachment trial.

*Jan 6th storm on capitol

*Embarassment of the Afghanistan withdrawal for the most powerful military in the world.

*Possible espionage on sitting president Donald Trump by Democrats.

*Trumps ongoing criminal investigations and possibility of a former President serving jail time no matter how slim it might be.

Reputation in tatters on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Or imagine being laughed at when addressing the UN, literally the laughing stock of the world's nations

As I said Americas reputation in tatters no matter who you want to blame.

It will take some propaganda to restore it's so called title of

"Bastian of Democracy".

Indeed, imagine a party literally passing legislation that stops normal eligible people from voting. What do you think of that?

I think your trying to make this a my side against your side argument again and it's getting old and boring.

• Advertisement

Nope, just seeing that you've an even hand in your criticism. So what do you think of the republican's tarnishing the 'bastian of democracy'? Do you think they should improve their stance and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

By requiring them to produce proof of identity? Like we do in Ireland?

Incorrect. Id isn't required here, I've never been asked for ID when I've voted, just my voter card that was mailed to me.

Actually it is, if you are asked for ID you must produce it.

So you don't drive, nor do you have a passport, what id would you use then?

• Advertisement

And No, as long as you have either you voter card or your id you're fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

If the presiding officer isn't satisfied with your identification, no vote for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Incorrect, you can be refused if you dont have ID.

Its rarely asked for in Ireland but it clealry says on the Voting card that you need to bring ID with you to the vote centre.

Otherwise Mr Postman could have a few hundred votes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You are correct - You are required to show ID if requested - However I've personally never been asked for any kind of ID in over 30 years of voting here.

Also what qualifies as valid ID here is orders of magnitude more inclusive than what is required in some US States (typically ones with GOP controlled Legislatures)

The following documents are acceptable for identification purposes:

(i) a passport (either Passport Book or Passport Card)

(ii) a driving licence

(iii) an employee identity card containing a photograph

(iv) a student identity card issued by an educational institution and containing a photograph

(v) a travel document containing name and photograph

(vi) a Bank or Savings or Credit Union book containing your address in the constituency

(vii) a Public Services Card

OR

Any of the following items accompanied by a further document which establishes the address of the holder in the constituency

(viii) a cheque book

(ix) a cheque card

(x) a credit card

(xi) a birth certificate

(xii) a marriage certificate.

Basically - Anyone over the age of 18 in Ireland would be readily able to produce one of the above without having to do anything "Special" to be allowed to vote.

That is not the case in the US , where obtaining the specific forms of acceptable ID are absolutely barriers to voting for certain (typically Democrat leaning) voting cohorts.

Grand in Ireland, Racist in the US. I'm with ya.

what forms of ID is difficult for "certain" voting cohorts to obtain?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

What are you talking about??

Who said anything about racism??

In terms of obtaining appropriate id.

In Texas for example, you can only use one of the following

• Texas Driver License issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
    • Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
    • Texas Personal Identification Card issued by DPS
    • Texas Handgun License issued by DPS
    • United States Military Identification Card containing the person’s photograph
    • United States Citizenship Certificate containing the person’s photograph
    • United States Passport (book or card

Things like a Student ID or Work ID for example aren't acceptable.

You aren't required by law to have ID in Texas, so if you are a low income urban voter, you probably won't automatically have any of those types of ID, you won't drive, you won't own a gun and you won't be in the Military and like most Americans you won't have a passport.

To get any of those forms of ID requires you to go in person during office hours to a Driving Licence office to stand in line to apply for an ID that you don't really need just so you can vote.

Again, for a low income worker that probably means taking time off work that you can't afford to spend money you don't really have on an ID you don't really need all just so you can exercise your democratic right to vote.

Voter fraud simply isn't a thing , so all these barriers to simple easy, low friction voting are designed to make it as awkward as possible for low income, hourly rate, gig economy type workers to vote, groups who typically don't vote Republican.

if you work on a hourly rate in a warehouse or something you can't afford to take the time off to go get the ID you need to vote, and then even if you do have the ID you can't take the hours on end off work to queue up endlessly to cast your vote either.

Simply put, it doesn't need to be that hard to vote, so why do they make it so?

The most important thing about an election is it’s integrity, if people don’t trust it then it doesn’t matter whether it was fair or not. The ability to cheat the system increases with things like relaxing the laws surrounding ids and mail in voting. You can argue to the wazoo that ‘but it doesn’t increase voter fraud’ but it doesn’t matter. The appearance of a fair and transparent system that can be properly audited are of utmost importance when it comes to elections.

I knew quite a few Texans, who would have been low income as opposed to "low income urban" 😂

They all had driving licenses and many had guns. Guns are piss cheap over there. You're going to now back up your claim that "low income urban" voters wouldnt have any of the above IDs with actual statistics. Seems very sensible to have these IDs in place to prevent voter fraud.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The handgun permit is not required to own a firearm in Texas.

A state ID card is normally cheap enough. $16 in Texas, you would need it to fly, for example. I got one in about 15 minutes in Kentucky.

This is a few years old, but I don’t see any reason it may have changed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Actually the most important thing about an election is that the result reflects the will of the people. Voting barriers like carefully crafted voter ID laws make this less likely to happen.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

It’s blindingly obvious why certain ID is acceptable but others aren’t. I can’t believe you’re saying this isn’t a problem.

You can’t use a student ID but you can a firearm permit. Because students lean democrat and gun owners lean GOP. It’s subtle but obvious.

they/them/theirs

I know how valuable the opinion of the ACLU is to you:

Its not a single act or law that’s the problem. There is a coordinated effort across GOP states to suppress the vote from democrat leaning demographics.

The reaction to losing in 2020 tells you everything you need to know. Instead of looking within at what needs to change, how the party can broaden its appeal to independents or attract new voters, the GOP introduced new laws in multiple states making it more difficult to vote.

Think about that. Instead of celebrating a historically high turnout, they went about making sure this turnout was a once off. Why is that? Because higher turnouts favour democrats. “Voter fraud” is a red herring, it’s the wrong people voting as far as the GOP is concerned

Before we go down the “both sides” argument, it simply isn’t in the best interests of the Democrats suppressing the vote. Even in swing states. So they don’t do it.

they/them/theirs

I thought the ACLU were irrelevant? The last time I mentioned them you didn’t care what they had to say. It seems like they’re doing some good work stopping voter suppression a lot of what is mentioned in that link I’d fully support. The only thing I find myself disagreeing with is that requiring someone to get an ID which is often free or pretty cheap is some kind of racial disenfranchisement. That’s ridiculous.

I never said the ACLU were irrelevant. I said I disagree with their definition of censorship. That’s a pretty childish deflection.

ID is often free and east to get. But not always. That’s the point. You eliminate the ids that it’s free and east for certain demographics to get.

I think voter ID is generally a good idea. But issue everyone an ID free. Or expand the list the way it is in Ireland.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, the US elections are fine. There's never been substantial proof of lack of integrity. Even the #2xIMPOTUS ran a commission headed by that factotum of all things election fraud related, Kris Kobach, and found nothing.

It's important everyone eligible gets to vote and the vote reflects the will of the people. "Integrity" is more anti-democratic nonsense spewed by your right wing troll sources.

The "appearance of integrity" is indeed important.

However , the ONLY group questioning the integrity of the elections are the GOP.

They have created a feedback loop to suit their own narrative. They have spent the last 5 years screaming about Election fraud without every producing a single piece of tangible evidence to support those claims. Their supporters have now come to accept the existence of this non-existent fraud as dogma so they now support all the changes to election laws that the GOP are pushing that they claim will resolve the "Election Integrity" issues that they themselves created.

Simple question - We know the elections are safe and secure , countless audits and investigations have shown that beyond question , so why exactly are the GOP working so hard to make all these completely unnecessary changes to Election legislation?

Also - If it's about overall election integrity , why are all these changes largely concentrated in Swing States?

No rush there with backing up those claims, in your own time.

they/them/theirs

You can thank Boards silly quoting system, oul Quin Dub knows what he's being asked for...proof to back up his low expectations of "poor urban voters"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, it’s because a firearm permit is a statewide design issued by the government after background and fingerprint checks, indicating a pretty certain reliability that the holder is who he says he is, whilst a student ID can be printed by a private body to one of a couple of hundred designs that a poll worker may have no idea the validity or accuracy of the document. If you want an ID law to act as proof of identification, the distinction is pretty inarguable.

Advertisement